Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 3:18 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:48 am  Post subject: SSX (Original) n00b help  
n00b = me :heh

I've decided to try my luck at the original SSX and I was wondering if you guys can give me some pointers.

I'm only interested in racing, so what the best approach?
Should I focus on maxing one particular character, and what's the easiest/quickest way to do that?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:29 am  Post subject:   
XBL: tk9077
PSN: tk102
If you just want to race for times and stuff, just pick out a racer and max him or her out. Hiro and Elise are the faster two boarders, but Hiro is Alpine and it takes 4 gold medals to unlock him. Elise is BX (maybe easier to manage cause of it) and she's available from the start.

The fastest way to do that, is just play through World Circuit mode. Get a gold medal in all of the events (there's 12: 6 Races and 6 Showoffs) and you'll earn experience points you use to max out your character. The fastest way I imagine would be to do all of the ShowOff events first, and grab all the experience and new boards from those. Use the EXP. to max Tricks, then work on Speed. This way, you'll have max Tricks, probably max speed, and access to some of the better boards. Racing then shouldn't be too hard.

And then later on, you could work on any of the other characters if you feel like it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:11 pm  Post subject:   
Gravitude MVP
I do it the way Vivi does. I have a few questions too concerning original: If you are using for example elise or zoe and you switch feet forward does that effect anything? Does holding jump down benefit your speed in any situation? ty in advance

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:24 pm  Post subject:   
I don't think a switch stance affects anything, other than different trick names. If you didn't know, doing one trick on one stance, then doing the same trick while in the other stance will still reward you the same amount of points cause they trick is different. You get a Flying Squirrel, then the other would bet Switch Flying Squirrel to Fakie.

Holding down jump is the same as croucing, only worse. While holding down jump, your turning ability decreases, etc. If you just press forward with the stick, you can go as fast but still be able to turn, etc. Make sure you change the config contoller setting in the game. By default, when pushing the stick while holding jump will make you prewind instead of turning in that direction.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:36 pm  Post subject:   
SSX: Racing: #1
Clayman
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX: Racing: #1
  • SSX: Overall: #2
actually, turning ability doesnt decrease...it ceases :heh

and as for switch, you spin A LOT slower, look at most of the showoff master runs, almost every trick is done in the correct stance....and it might prohibit minor speed variations, but doubtful...i do believe it inhibits some turning ability, but either way its very insignificant and really wont change much when trying for records, its not like its gonna put you another place up on the scoreboard :heh :heh :heh but for randomly safe purposes, i always stay in the correct footing, watch my master runs if you dont beleive me lol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:29 am  Post subject:   
Got another q about the experience points: I think I read a discussion once about getting bronze first, then silver and finally gold cos it would get you more exp. points. Is this true or does earning a gold medal first time 'round give you the same amount?

And also, when maxing a character's stats, how much exp. points do I need to get from showoff that I can't get from racing? (cos as you know by now, I seriously dislike showoff...)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:34 am  Post subject:   
PSN: Jamescorpio
Hey man, that's cool, I finally bought ssx this weekend... yeah that jump/turn thing is a bit of a shock to the system :heh also, when you trick, is there any advantage in holding down the shoulder buttons prior to releasing the jump button, cos the rider sems to be very slow in executing the move (maybe gets better with exp. points?)??

Still a lot better than my expectations though, I can see where all the affection for it comes from. :yes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:31 am  Post subject:   
If you're having trouble with the turn thing with the stick, I suggest you change the controller setting to Pro instead of Default. The Pro setting is similar to the setting of Tricky and SSX 3, I think.

I don't think there is an advantage from holding down the trick buttons in advance. Yeah, the characters do go in to and out of trick very slowly. You can speed it up by maxing the tricks stat, but it's still slow. Also take note about the tweaking system. In Tricky and SSX 3, pressing say L2 and square will imediately have you trick into the tweaked trick. In SSX, you have to hold L2 first, then while in the air, press and hold square to get a tweaked trick. You can't tweak as soon as you start.

You will get the same amount of experience points if you obtain a bronze, then silver, then gold as when you just get a gold. You obtain at most 5 experience points per event. Here's a break down:

Bronze: +1 Exp.
Silver: +2 Exp. (+3 Exp. if you didn't obtain a bronze before)
Gold: +2 Exp. (+5 Exp. if you didn't obtain bronze or silver before; +4 if you obtained a bronze before)

Understand that? That works for every event except for the last two, in which case it differs depending on the person. Each character needs to get 50-56 Exp. to be completely maxed out. Notice that the number is not 60 (5 Exp. per each of the 12 events). In the last two events, you either recieve less points then you would nomrally (for the second to last), and get no Exp. in the very last event. Take JP for example. In his second to last event, he recieves only 4 Exp. (but that Exp. will completely max him out). In his last event, he recieves no Exp. at all because he's already maxed out. See?

All that above helps you answers the next question. You get up to 5 Exp. for every event you do, except for whatever the last two events you do. So you can do all races first, so that leaves the last two events of Showoff that gives you little-no experience. And vise versa. So doing Showoff first will net you 30 Exp., which is helpful. If you like racing more, go for that first. I only suggested Showoff first because I find it easier, and you only have to go throw each track once, so it's faster. Races are sort of hard and it would be wise to head in them with a max Speed stat.

Hope I helped and not confused you more.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:31 pm  Post subject:   
Gravitude MVP
I would also recommend DLing all the showoff vids to help you attain gold. It's much easier if you see how the experts do certain jumps etc.
BTW, I think it's awesome that we got a lot of peeps picking up original lately...maybe I'm not the only one that's been turned off by all the WHs in SSX3 :wtf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:58 pm  Post subject:   
gondee's FAQ writer
its great to see continued interest in SSX, the original. Playing it makes me miss certain aspects of SSX3, especially handplants, but also reminds me why SSX is such a good series: each game is different enough in enough ways to keep things new and refreshing.

Anyways, I just wanted to let everyone know that there is a cheat code for getting all characters to max stats. While I don't normally ever use cheat codes, even if you are good, its gonna take a couple hours to max out one character, and there are a bunch of characters. Thats why I have used the code in the past -- it saves alot of time in getting you into the right position to try for WRs. I believe alps knows the code, which would be good, since I no longer can remember it. :(

Oh, and if you are interested in racing realize that there is gonna be a different character that is better for almost all of the courses. A perfect example would be mesablanca. I had gotten my time down to 2:17.?? using elise, who I had been using on all courses, only to learn thanx to alps and ssx4ever that zoe would be a much better character to use. I tried, and running virtually the exact same line came away with a 2:11.?? !!!!!!!!!! Using the best character for a given course clearly is important.

Just thought everyone who didn't know would like to. :china :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:16 pm  Post subject:   
Gravitude MVP
I believe the best for each are as follows:

Racing - Zoe and Elise
Showoff - Mac and Kaori

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:26 pm  Post subject:   
Classic Killa
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX: Showoff: #2
Do racing first. The computers get over-all better as you get any experience. Trust me, as someone who REALLY sucks at racing, the effects of doing racing first are VERY obvious to me. Just do race first and take it easy with dumping points into spin. There's much less pressure in getting freestyle golds than there is in race golds.

And I think Kaori is awful at Freestyle, I can hardly do any of my lines with her; she's very noticably worse compared to Mac. Races have different attributes that make other characters better for certain courses, but the big thing to worry about in all freestyle is flips, and the player for that is Mac.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:38 am  Post subject:   
BlackDth wrote:
There's much less pressure in getting freestyle golds than there is in race golds.

No shit? I think that means I really really suck at freestyle, cos after playing SD and EA I have two golds in racing, but only silver and bronze in freestyle...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:38 am  Post subject:   
Classic Killa
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX: Showoff: #2
Finish racing first and get more stat points for Showoff.

and by "less pressure", I mean, you only have to do showoff once, and there's a lot more room for error. Just go through race and make your character better, then watch some of the showoff videos. You don't need to get anywhere near those scores for gold... most of them are 3 or 4 times the amount necessary for gold.

Even if you don't watch the videos, there are certain pivotal points in the levels that will make your entire run. If you have tricks maxed, just do a bunch of flips with an unethical and you wont have much work left to do. Snowdream's first 5x, the first jump and the rail-area before the 2nd checkpoint in EA, the last 5x in MCM, the 2nd 5x in Mesa, the 5x in Tokyo's pinball machine, the first 5x and the ice ramp 3x in Pipedream. The important thing though, is that you need full stats to take good use of these! So keep on doing racing. If you're better at it, why struggle with showoff now if you can do it later without any raise of AI difficulty?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:37 am  Post subject:   
Wow, you people must have different versions of the game or something. My SSX experience was the complete opposite. The later races were EASY. The ones that gave me trouble were Snowdream, Elysium, amd Mesablanca. The other 3 were a sinch. And Showoff was easy too. The only ones that gave me trouble were Snowdream and Pipedream (but that's because I accidently cross the finish line too soon). Weird.

I don't know if this is true, but if you knock someone down, or get in their way alot near the beginning, they will become better at racing or something. Cause sometimes I do a race (and at the same round time), I get first with no competition whatsoever. But when I knock someone down, that person is always one-uping me. So yeah.

It seems you're much better at racing. If so, just keep doing the race events and build up your character's tricks and speed stats.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:51 pm  Post subject:   
Gravitude MVP
Yer prolly already done maxing your characters by now but I'll give my recomendation anyway lol. Unless you care about freestyle events and don't want to ruin the experience of finding yer own line, watch the master runs and try a run to see if you can get a medal. If you can get silver without terrible difficulty it's prolly worth it for you to get the medals you can from freestyle events to build your characters and then tackle the races cuz freestyle only takes one shot for a medal. After you go thru with one character you should be able to get gold on almost all freestyle's the first or second time around (except for PD :frusty ), building your character up much faster than with racing. :cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:56 pm  Post subject:   
SSX: Racing: #1
Clayman
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX: Racing: #1
  • SSX: Overall: #2
OMF, PD still gives me nightmares lol. I litterally spent like days just trying to get the crappy 150,000 for gold. My best after blackdths "holy fucking shit" master run is like 590k, but back then I was fucking dying. And the fact that jurgen was the second character I maxed didnt help either. Just try getting 150,000 points when your trick stat is 16 :cry (or was it less?)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:04 pm  Post subject:   
20 if you equip the right board. :D

PD wasn't all that hard. I got it in my second or third time around. I usually get about 120k when I reach the finish. Before that, there's a quarterpipe so I just did a trick there, boost my way back up the slope, did a small trick, the boosted to the quarterpipe, did another trick, and so on. :heh It works.

007, that was my advice!! You just elaborated on it a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:27 pm  Post subject:   
Gravitude MVP
Vivi FF wrote:
007, that was my advice!! You just elaborated on it a bit.

I know lol, I said I agreed with you earlier. I just wanted to add some stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:03 am  Post subject:   
BlackDth wrote:
and by "less pressure", I mean, you only have to do showoff once, and there's a lot more room for error.

Okay, I get it now. :china Still suck at freestyle tho...

I don't have much time to play the game, but my goal is getting one gold medal a day. So far so good, and all racing obviously...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:29 am  Post subject:   
I went back and played some SSX for awhile, in particular ShowOff, and I nearly double my high scores!!! I think all of my highest scores per track are now over 200k. If I can score that much, then you certainly can at least geta gold. Practice does make perfect. Just try and to do as many tricks as you can, and save the crazy Experimental tricks for every multiplier.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:53 pm  Post subject:   
[ric flair] wooooooooooooooooooooooo [/ric flair]

Gold medal on all race events, and my very first gold on SD showoff!
Wasn't even really trying either... I was showing the game to a friend, doing a bunch of random tricks and trying to get to the final big jump to do some crazy trick and somehow I finished with 103k or something...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:31 am  Post subject:   
I always do the show off runs first as some of the races used to really get on my nerves, Elysium was the bain of my life for ages trying to get that gold. ITs a case just racing, trying different bits. Each person has there own way of doing things, u just gotta practice :china

And all those tats, yes they are real

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:32 am  Post subject:   
I always do the show off runs first as some of the races used to really get on my nerves, Elysium was the bain of my life for ages trying to get that gold. ITs a case just racing, trying different bits. Each person has there own way of doing things, u just gotta practice :china

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:33 am  Post subject:   

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  1, 2