Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 3:56 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:38 pm  Post subject: I just realized something about OT, and it is very positive!  
After reading all the negative reviews (especially GameInformer's), playing with all the annoying camera angles, tone downed graphics, no satisfying Ubers, bad characters, bad voice actors, and everything else that makes SSX OT the worst of the series -

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Atleast EA got the sucky one of the series out of the way. Most every series has the reject that never came out very well. I mean, SSX OT is fun, but it is only fun for a limited ammount of time before you get bored. That means (hopefully) they can only go up from here, and SSX Next Gen will be absolutely freaking amazing because they will change everything that they screwed up with in On Tour. I bought the original SSX about a week before On Tour came out, and I play it more than OT.

I am praying that someday, maybe if my dreams are answered, we will have an SSX Tricky 2 style game. I'd actually almost like seeing courses remade for a 3rd time +more unique tracks. The tracks in the original and Tricky never get old. And then also having the control scheme a little more solid than Tricky's, I'd go gaga if we had a Tricky style game. :woot

And also, after all the rant from EVERY review I have read about the characters personalities being gone and how much the CAC got ripped on, we are guaranteed good voicework on future SSX's. (lol, if you read the GI review it said-"The created characters look like ugly people on the street you try to avoid eye contact with" And then they had a nasty picture of one of the girls faces l.o.l.)

Also, if they do have the same characters, I think they should move their ages back down. I guess it doesn't really matter, but when you are riding with a rider, and they are 40 years old compared to 32 (which is still pretty old) it is just kind of funky. I want the old personalities back, Mac being cocky, Zoe being loud and in your face, Psymon being...psycho, not stupid. All the characters in Tricky were perfected to the point of where they couldn't possibly be made any better.

Anyways, there should be like, an SSX Next Gen suggestion/ideas topic/board. I have many.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:56 pm  Post subject:   
Shoot, if we just got Eddie back I'd be happy :P.

Though, you are right. Just about every series has had that one game (longer series may have two) that just doesn't get things right. I would say though, that there's more hope in the theory that it came out this way because they wanted it to be able to sell on the PS2 and be able to devote time to the PS3 iteration, than to the bad apple theory...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:28 pm  Post subject:   
Yes, the Wind Waker of SSX. Still enjoyable, but ultimately a step backwards.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:27 am  Post subject:   
i was thinking about a Tricky 2. i sent it to EA, actually. here's my idea:

there are 20 or so courses dotted around the world and each one has a boss (e.g. a japanese course' boss could be Sid, a Canadian course could be Psymon etc.). you compete in 10 or so Shreds on that course (with levels, obviously) before you can compete in the Medal events, which are just for the Masters. Monsters still work via the Trick Stick, but there are more of them (and please please please can character-specifics return!). also, there are what i call Ultimate Monsters which need HUGE air that can give you infinite boost - eg frisbee-ing the board 100m away from u (u can only do these after completing a certain amount of monsters). CAC is back, but once characters are unlocked, they CAN be used for this World Tour Mode. i call it SSX World Tour.
the tracks have a more futuristic look about them, and are difinately unique (since they're all in a different country)

NPCs are still back, but only the real characters are in the medal events. Hype is still needed for you to advance.

i also had another trick idea - each direction has d ifferent movement, so you can combine the different actions together to make your own monster, altho that wud b quite complicated...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:35 am  Post subject:   
gondee's FAQ writer
its only a positive if the next game in the series turns out good. If not, SSX4 marks the new trend of really bad SSX games, which means there isn't a positive side to this.....only time will tell.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:08 am  Post subject:   
PSN: mobe7
All this is of course purely subjective because SSX OT marks the highest point in the series so far for me. Its got more complex tracks, more game direction, contrary to popular belief its got better graphics although admittedly they are less consistent. A much more dynamic sense of speed and if the screen didn't go dark and write 'monster' all over it a much more dynamic trick set up even if it does get in the way of actual points scoring sometimes.

Apart from the much loved characters what was so amazing about Tricky other than nostalgia? Those early courses were indeed great but quite a few of them either seem positively flat and static or outright ridiculous like Tokyo compared to the better stuff on SSX3 and OT. Ok Merqury City and Alaska were amazing courses and future SSX games could do well to take influence from them but I certainly don't want another game like Tricky, great though that game was for its time.

You can slag off OT all you want but I'm still finding it much more challenging then SSX3 after one week of playing and for me at least its got more to see and do than both SSX1 and Tricky combined.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:36 am  Post subject:   
XBL: Jayrich88
What's Ea Sports Big's e-mail address?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:21 pm  Post subject:   
gondee's FAQ writer
Mobe, my problem with SSX4 has nothing to do with the challenge -- its the motivation to do everything that has me angry.

The CAC simply is bland, no two ways about it. Its far and a way inferior to the one in SSX3. I don't even think that comes down to opionion as much as fact-- there are far less clothes to choose from, far less colors, and the bolt-ons apparently total 1/3 the number in SSX3. Less can be more, but not in a CAC, that kind of defeats the purpose of a CAC in the first place (having every player made character unique b/c of all the options).

Likewise, the graphics are far and away inferior to SSX3, and that was two years ago. ANti-aliasing, something that only shows up in bargain priced ps2 games these days, runs rampant in SSX4 and I can't for the life of me think of a single EA game that has sported this in over 22 months. Better graphics? ROFL. Try this: look at an event start up screen on SSX3 (you know, when they come to the starting gate ) then look at the same thing for SSX4. You cna't tell me they are the same. Every single character in SSX4 gets that sickly look to them. There are no ambient effects this time around, everything is static. No jaggies in SSX3 yet they are everywhere in SSX4. Heeck, its been confirmed by EA that SSX4 only runs at 30fps -- half of what SSX3 ran at. I just don't see how anyone could confuse SSX4 for better graphics.....

Eh, I could go on and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if this is the best game in the series for you, then i have to come to the conclusion that you don't hold the ssx series in high esteem.

That said, I'm glad there is one person out there that really enjoys the game. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:52 pm  Post subject:   
No developer wants there to be a "bad" game in their series...if they really cared about this, they'd try hard for this not to happen. Maybe EA just didn't care enough this time around...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:09 pm  Post subject:   
XBL: WAffle3690
i like ssx on tour, but im workin my way up the charts slwoly lol im only 23 in rank lol but i have to admit, EA made ssx on tour chalenging, for me at least lol :heh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:15 pm  Post subject:   
Gravitude MVP
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX 3: Showoff: #3
laidback0378 wrote:
ANti-aliasing, something that only shows up in bargain priced ps2 games these days

What? Half of my PS2 games suffer from aliasing. Some like Silent Hill 4 have massive aliasing in certain areas.

Quote:
Heeck, its been confirmed by EA that SSX4 only runs at 30fps -- half of what SSX3 ran at.

Who needed confirmation from EA? I can tell the game runs at 30 fps just by playing it. And it's not hard to check. :heh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:12 pm  Post subject:   
laidback0378 wrote:
That said, I'm glad there is one person out there that really enjoys the game. :)

It's not a bad game, just not quite up to par with SSX 3. That said it's still a great game, and there are more than one or two people who like this game.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:48 pm  Post subject: SSX UNIVERSE!  
Yeah, i also had an idea called SSX Universe.I got the idea from the SSX3 posters, One called SSX Universe with all of the characters-with quality voiceovers . There would be all the characters, tracks, and Uber tricks from before, and some monster tricks, new tracks, free run, all the modes:(Super Pipe/Ski Patrol) CAC, with not ugly people, and maybe blurring and a majority of Hip Hop Music(No offence rockers, it just matches the game). Maybe a free run where you get off your board and walk around the lodge/shop and buy stuff, even food(which will help somehow), so you can stop boarding for once.Yes, SSX Uni verse would be cool.Oh and rankings instead of medals, with a storyline that ended... I know this is a lot but it's my ideal ssx game(Remember-Uber moves that dont have close ups) :wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:36 pm  Post subject:   
I hate to say it, but I am already growing bored with the game... I do like it, but as far as replayability, the tracks and events are just too long. Playing through the tour is fun, (IMO anyway) but trying to compete on this game is a real chore.

My biggest wish for the next in the series is take out the stupid manual (I have despised that point raping pile of shit since SSX3) and bring back multipliers in it's place. I would love to see the series go more towards the vein of Tricky, but I doubt that will happen.

I tried a run on Garibaldi the other night, and talk about dislexia! I barely broke 900K! I kept trying to tap spins in the air, doing the wrong ubers, etc. Been a while, but that is still my favorite SSX game to date.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:55 am  Post subject:   
i just want them to remake ssx tricky with more tracks.. a bazzilion google more constume combinations and good voices.. like bif naked as zoe..

then i think it would be the best so far.. my idea is still better.. but ive given up on wishing for that long ago..

oh and zoe has to have face paints and more pretty hairstyles..
and psymon has to be his tricky or 3 look.. NOT ontour.. i HATE the ontour

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:22 am  Post subject:   
gondee's FAQ writer
RE Virus wrote:
laidback0378 wrote:
ANti-aliasing, something that only shows up in bargain priced ps2 games these days

What? Half of my PS2 games suffer from aliasing. Some like Silent Hill 4 have massive aliasing in certain areas.

Quote:
Heeck, its been confirmed by EA that SSX4 only runs at 30fps -- half of what SSX3 ran at.

Who needed confirmation from EA? I can tell the game runs at 30 fps just by playing it. And it's not hard to check. :heh

lol. yeah, i agree RE, there are loads of ps2 game that have aliasing problems, but cna you think of any that have come out in the last year that weren't bargain priced or a first time publisher? i can't, and certainly not from EA, which is the point I was originally trying to make -- for an EA game to have aliasing problems like that is crazy this late in the ps2's life cycle.

I only mentioned that EA has confirmed the framerate issue in case someone tried to argue otherwise, lol.

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ]