Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 9:24 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:49 pm  Post subject: China rising, American and global response  
PSN: jonipooon
I'm neither Chinese or American, but after living in China for 2 years I've been constantly reminded by people around me how the economy of China will surpass that of the United States in around 10-15 years. I see the rapid change with my own eyes in my everyday life, and the feeling of being in the "epicenter" of booming power is fascinating yet doubtful.

This is a fact, which, although some may not be so familiar with it yet, will be more and more important in the future. The basic questions which rises globablly are: Are we prepared to accept China as our next superpower? What consequenses will it have to all of us? And which responsibilities and requirements will we put on China? Can they accept those demands?

Even today you can see the small sparkles of unnegotiable odds and ends. USA wants China to rise the RMB, China says no. USA wants China to rethink some of their perceptions of human rights and freedom of speech, China says 'its not your business'.

My question goes to all you Americans out here: How do you feel about China's rise? What do you know? In my eyes, it seems very hard for Americans to accept the fact that China will surpass them as the world's next superpower. Perhaps you think it wont happen - and in that case - why do you think so?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:15 pm  Post subject: Re: China rising, American and global response  
Hi Jonipoon:

When you talk about China, are you refering to the leaders or the people of that particular country? It seems, for instance, that the Chinese government is trying to regulate its growing population of Christian converts (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/article5960010.ece). Some methods of intimidation entail demolishing Churches in which Chinese Christians worship, and attacking parishoners (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgLshl5OfeM&feature=fvst). Sometimes, Christians, such as Ziang Jongxiu, can suffer fatal beatings at the hands of law enforcements solely because they tried to spread the Gospel (http://www.gospelweb.net/Martyrdom/ChineseMartyrJiang.htm). It is ironic, because communist governments are supposed to decide as a community what is advantageous for their nation. Instead, communists leaders, in practice, almost function like dictators.

The only way change will come about in China is for the oppressed to force the few who are terrorizing the many from office, and to replace the despotic form of government with a more democratic one. Once that occurs, I bet that there will be far less tension between China and other countries.

This brings me back to question that you asked me: how do I feel about China's rise as the next superpower? If abusive leaders control China, then I think that many countries will have a gloomy future. However, if the governed take initiative, run the oppressors from their political seats, and place individuals who strive to assist China's constituents in their chairs, then I believe that the new superpower (i.e., China) will benefit many struggling nations.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:25 pm  Post subject: Re: China rising, American and global response  
QP, of course I mean the leaders of PRC, since the people of China have very little to express themselves on.

I dont take too much effort in reading about which kind of intervention the communist party is taking regarding religious believers, since I don't think its an important matter. I also think a common mistake westerners do is to react too sharply on the religious aspects (especially in the US, personally I'm from Sweden where atheism is considered more accepted) and not focusing on far more important matters such as the media censoring and non-freedom of speech. For instance, I find it a little bit upsetting that many western countries expressed such a strong dislike for China during the Falun Gong movements, not knowing what Falun Gong is really about.

"Communist governments are supposed to decide as a community what is advantageous for their nation."
This is exactly what the PRC is doing. Perhaps not in the way we are used to, but they are making huge efforts in cleaning up the mess in the country. Even if everything proceeds in the same pace, it will take another 40 years before the average Chinese city can have the same living standards as today's average American city. Which makes sense, if you take a look at the huge improvement in infra-structure, society and human rights in the US during the 50's-70's. The difference is that this is what's happening in China now - And in the eyes of developed countries in the West, this is pasé and unacceptable since its not living up to the standards of our "modern world". Yet again the West thinks they are superior in everything.

Now, of course China has the disadvantage of a having a Communistic government, and their biggest problem is the non-freedom of speech. However, I think things will change in the future. Slowly the government will have to move on to a more democratic way of ruling things, even though they are Communists on the paper. It's like in Russia where they nowadays rule as Communists but are democratic on the paper. Internet plays a major role here, and in China they cannot censor the Internet forever - People will always find new ways to break through the barrier and go out of bounds.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:46 am  Post subject: Re: China rising, American and global response  
Hi Jonipoon:

I find any type of oppression appalling, whether it be of Christians, Falun Gong members, or of followers of the Dalai Lama.

While you make some solid points, your argument assumes that all Westerners think alike. This is not thecase. I've got to run now, so I'll elaborate when I come back from my literary conference.

Last edited by QuotidianPerfection on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:38 am  Post subject: Re: China rising, American and global response  
Hi Jonipoon:

I mean no disrespect, but I construe the East / West philosophical dichotomy that you have established in your argument as one that is not always necessarily true. I derive my following assertion from the plausibility that not all gubernatorial members indigenous to a specific country delineate in a synchronized manner. More precisely, majority rule, voter intimidation, and the attempt to save oneself from humiliation constitutes three reasons why those who oppose their government's modus operandi are often rendered invisible before the public eye. For instance, people often hear that two-thirds of gubernatorial officials voted for an oppressive ordinance to be enacted into legislation, but forget that the remaining third opposed such a measure. Also, there are moments when members in office who wield ungodly amounts of power coerce less influential gubernatorial officials into voting a certain way. Furthermore, some elected officials have moral reservations about voting in favor of a law which they deem ethically questionable; however, they are afraid tha opposing the majority might cost them their job in their future, and place them in a position where they can no longer provide for their family. Hence, I am sure that many politicians recognize others' individuality, irrespective of race, ethnicity, gender, or creed. When those voices are muted, though, it creates the appearance that all gubernatorial members from a given geographic location think and act alike.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:53 am  Post subject: Re: China rising, American and global response  
Thanks for giving me such a international perspective as a whole, QP, but I still stay close to my point that even though humans are always humans there are always differences between people and people. That is to say, gubernatorial officials in China do not handle stuff the same way as gubernatorial officials in the US or Europe.

My previous argument was that the majority of westerners have a certain view upon China, which is the case.

One year ago there was this poll on a Swedish newspaper's webpage; "Which country would you prefer to see as the world's super power?" The alternatives were "USA", "China", or "None of them". "None of them" scored the highest followed "USA".

Actually I have to go to sleep now, but I'll continue my post later.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:44 am  Post subject: Re: China rising, American and global response  
Hi Jonipoon:

Thank you for your kind words.

I agree with you that most individuals are inclined to base beliefs about other countries based on cultural stereotypes. However, I am sure that there are those whose attitudes towards another culture are predicated upon the careful study of a country--and its mores, forays, and norms--rather than folklore. When we resume our conversation, can we talk about "the enlightened few?"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:00 pm  Post subject: Re: China rising, American and global response  
most people i know have already accepted and know that the economic gorilla that is China will indeed surpass us and soon~ not to worried about it though~ im cool with living in the United States of China~ lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:59 am  Post subject: Re: China rising, American and global response  
Hi Titan:

Dr. David Aikman argues that China will be the next Christian superpower. Here is one of his presentations on the subject, which was uploaded to YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvgveawp4oY.

Take care.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:16 pm  Post subject: Re: China rising, American and global response  
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX Blur: Racing: #3
  • SSX 3: Overall: #3
PSN: obiwahnshinobi

:china Herro Prease, I know, I know "That's Racist" but it so fit this thread. :P

(19:57:20) gondee: how does one master the dweeng

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:52 pm  Post subject: Re: China rising, American and global response  
Hi Obi:

I'll digress from the topic of this thread momentarily. I agree with you--your South Park YouTube clips weren't "PC," but they were hillarious.

Take care.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:58 pm  Post subject: Re: China rising, American and global response  
I personally, don't really care - USA, China...they can't regulate Scotland. We're not worth it XD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:42 pm  Post subject: Re: China rising, American and global response  
Hi Baron von Gikkigen:

I think that mainland China might have problems if she continues to oppress House Church organizations, members of Falun Gong, Tibetan Buddhist residing in the People's Republic of China, and dissidents of the Communist Chinese government. People can only take so much oppression. Eventually, the oppressed will rail against their oppressors, and civil war will break out in mainland China. If this transpires, I think that the People's Rebublic of China will have to devote so much time and energy to solving her internal problems that she might possibly lose her stronghold as an international superpower.

Take care.

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]