Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 2:20 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:46 am  Post subject: Who does coding? Need App help!  
PSN: iWolfe2327
I know many people here are into computers and electronics and I seem to lack coding skills to do what I want.

My friend and I are trying to create an app for college students on our campus. We have several different ideas, all having different depths of difficulty.

The basic app we are trying to hire a company to do is what we are calling an "Interactive Map". It would have a map of our campus, whether taken from google Earth or created we aren't sure cause we don't know coding that well. It will also have a close up map of downtown too, including frats and stores.

It would be marketed to mostly freshmen on campus and would help with navigating the campus and downtown, simply by doing search functions for where they want to go, and where they are coming from. It may work through GPS or just by providing path directions within the app, depending what is easiest, especially since on campus is mostly sidewalks and very few roads.

Again I am very naive when it comes to coding and would love for someone to maybe elaborate on this idea with me, and if they have ideas of how to take it further that would be great!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:52 am  Post subject: Re: Who does coding? Need App help!  
XBL: TickleMeOzmo
I don't want to discourage you, so I hope you take my advice with a spoonful of sugar. Put your seatbelt on, medicine coming in 3...2...

TL;DR: Don't do it.

Click to reveal hidden content: show
This reads like the stereotypical college student who wants to change the world and make loads of money doing it. It's nice to have goals, but you cannot do both. You want to hire a company (spend money) to make an app. Where will you be getting the funding for this? Will it be for iPhone or Android? Will you charge for the app?

I would drop the 'app' idea completely. It sounds like you just learned a new buzzword from Business Marketing 101. Your customer-base is basically Freshman and shy sophomores. No cash-strapped college student is going to drop $.99 on an app that they can simply send a text to someone asking "hey, where is the Tri-Lamb house?" Take your school's freshman population, that's basically the MAXIMUM amount of people who will buy your app. Divide that in half, unless you are willing to make both Android AND iPhone apps. Divide that in half in again, as the amount of people who WON'T pirate your app. Multiply that by .99, and that's the MAXIMUM amount of money you'll earn. Minus your expenses for the company to make said app. And let's hope it works, if it doesn't, your app will be your "Walk of Shame" on a Saturday morning, and add a sizable amount of debt to your already mounting student loans.

You STILL want to do it? Do it yourself, and do it for the knowledge, not for the money. I spent over 15 hours on making the Global Event Tracker, not including every project before it just to get the knowledge to do it in 15 hours, about 5 people use it. If I were to charge $.99, there would be 1. Me.

If you are a Business major, then find a Comp Sci major to do it for you. You'd have better luck if you were FEMALE Business major. If you are a Comp Sci major, then do it for "the LOVE of the game".

You want to help the community? Go to these businesses and get them on Google Places. I hear Google already has a pretty good "interactive map". Have a camera? Add pictures.

If you were to do all this work for just your app, and it fails, the work could go to waste. You could do more good with your time/knowledge by helping already existing projects (like Google Places) by adding pictures, correcting landmarks, and editing places.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:58 pm  Post subject: Re: Who does coding? Need App help!  
For not wanting to discourage me you sure didn't censor it or make it any less demeaning. And since your reply had a condescending attitude that is the same way I shall reply to you.

Click to reveal hidden content: show
Your reply actually just reinforced the reason that I WANT to do this. The idea of this thread was to generate ideas for this, expand upon the topic, and to figure out by what means would work to get to the ends. Instead you simply read an idea, and instead of trying to improve it or make it work, you simply shot it down, bashed it, and made it sound like I am a selfish college student who knows nothing about the world.

This is why the app would be a good idea if ever done to completion. If you knew anything about how people work now a days they buy things based upon convenience and choose to live through the interface of technology more than social behavior. They do not want to ask questions like how to get to a campus building, they would simply want to find the answer on their own. And as I mentioned that is only the most basic use of it, where you never even asked or offered other ideas that take this beyond basic level.

"Where will the funds come from?" "Do it for knowledge and not money."

Now, did I ever once mention money in my post? No. I am not looking to make money off of this, it is just to gain experience to see if I can do it. However, your mind, much like that of the selfish markets, goes straight to worrying about money. All you simply did in the post above was address issues I ALREADY foresaw, instead of elaborating and expanding upon the idea like was my intent, illustrated in my concluding statement in the first post.

So do you care to help and expand knowledge, or critique and shut down every thought that might be a little bit different from what you think should be done?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:05 pm  Post subject: Re: Who does coding? Need App help!  
PSN: Donoftea
I can't offer you in depth technical knowledge, I'm afraid, but I do work in digital marketing and recently heard about these guys - http://www.uppsite.com - who offer free conversions of websites into an app. Pretty cool idea, though I haven't dealt with them first hand.

I don't think this would achieve exactly what you're looking for, but might be useful if the project goes in another direction.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

P.S., no, I don't work for Uppsite :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:10 pm  Post subject: Re: Who does coding? Need App help!  
Hmm. That's really interesting. Thanks Don.

I'll have to look into it just to see what it does exactly! Since I'm doing this for a final project, where I don't actually have to design the app just figure out a plan for it, I could possibly use sources like the website to generate more ideas so thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:50 pm  Post subject: Re: Who does coding? Need App help!  
PSN: Donoftea
Most welcome - glad it might be of use.

Interesting that you have to figure out a plan for it - I've recently managed a project at work to create an iPad app for our salesforce, and did some background reading on it. Happy to share Some of my research notes on pm if it's any use.

It's funny - everyone in our company has gone app-crazy this year, it's a magic bullet :) I'm not complaining though, it's tons of fun.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:51 am  Post subject: Re: Who does coding? Need App help!  
Doesn't the "My Places" functionality in Google maps already do most if not all of what you're trying to achieve ?

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]