Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:00 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:25 pm  Post subject: The University Application Thread....  
Hey any Ontarians here?

I'm wondering, I just applied to Huron and Western as an out of provincer...

A) When do you guys expect to hear about acceptance...

B) What do you think my chances are of getting into the International Relations program at either uni...

I got a 93% pretty much constantly throughout highschool...

And if that thread fails... TELL ME WHAT UNIVERSITIES YOU APPLIED TO!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:32 am  Post subject:   
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Quote:
And if that thread fails... TELL ME WHAT UNIVERSITIES YOU APPLIED TO!

:heh Always good to have a backup plan. :china My UFC thread failed and I thought there would be plenty of people who watched that. Not sure how many college-age Ontarians there are here.

As far as college goes, I applied to two colleges whenever I graduated from high school (10 years ago. :heh) I applied to the University of Missouri and Southwest Baptist University (only as a backup if MU fell through.) I got in primarily because of decent grades (3.65 GPA) and a decent ACT score. I kept up a 3.3 GPA while I was there.

The art school I'm going to now is another story - I actually looked into going to it before I started working there. It was WAAAAY to expensive, and then I saw a classified ad for a job there and checked into it. 3 weeks later I was working there and now I"m going to school there! Got a 3.5 GPA so far. :cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:57 am  Post subject:   
Wow gondee, you sound like a very educated man :yes

Im not sure if i could cope with uni, since im not too fond of the whole learning thing right now. Its very tempting to get a full time job since some of my friends are getting lots of money while im simply not :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:55 am  Post subject:   
Classic Killa
  • SSX: Showoff: #2
I had a horrible GPA in high school, like 1.6, so my chances of getting into college were grim. The reasons for it being low are numerous and not too important. Anyways I got a 34 on the ACT so I started going to UW-Oshkosh. After 3 semesters I have a 3.2...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:22 am  Post subject:   
SSX: Racing: #1
Clayman
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX: Racing: #1
  • SSX: Overall: #2
I applied to UCONN. I go to UCONN.

I wrote the greatest essay known to man, and that got me in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:44 am  Post subject:   
i had applied to the university of southern mississippi and indiana state. i got accepted to both and ended up going to indiana state. the school is really good, but the area sucked and it wasn't worth being 1,200 miles away from home to be somewhere i didn't really love. so i ended up taking the semester off and in less than two weeks i'll start at central connecticut state. i had applied to rhode island college too, got accepted there but didn't feel like living in providence, rhode island (literally the worst drivers in the country). i only plan on going to school at central connecticut state for about a year or two until i really get my shit together and figure out where i really want to go.

doyle, you're doing international relations? that's an awesome major. mine's geography, so they're slightly related. :wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:29 pm  Post subject:   
PSN: MistressWiggle
I'm not applying to uni here fuck that too dmn expensive and a waste of time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:29 pm  Post subject:   
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
34 on the ACT BD? Wow, impressive. :yes :pimp I can guess the reasons you didn't feel like studying in school, I think I knew a guy a lot like you in school, brilliant but unmotivated. Of course, he used to carry all his pencils around in a tool belt and went by the name Dink too. :heh

Quote:
I wrote the greatest essay known to man, and that got me in.

"How He Changed My Life Forever: Funkydawg"

NA wrote:

You'll think that until you're older, and when you want to do what you want to do for a living, you won't have the training for it. Not to lecture or anything, but education is never a bad thing. :no Trust me NA, I was feeling the same way about going back to school until I tried to get a job in what I wanted to do, graphic design. Then after realizing I was gonna have to take some chump job if I didn't get another degree, I went back to school.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:44 pm  Post subject:   
I have yet to decide what to do next year and it's really starting to bug me now.

Since I dont feel a "calling" to any particular education yet, I'm probably gonna get a job and take it easy for a year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:46 pm  Post subject:   
I'm an Ontarian, gonna be applying for universities next year. Probably applying for U of T/Mcmaster/Waterloo. The only problems I have are extra-curricular activities....I haven't done much of them and universities apparently care a lot about that kind of stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:02 pm  Post subject:   
  • SSX On Tour: Showoff: #2
XBL: Royank
PSN: Royank
I went to Nash Community College for two semesters. That school was a piece of crap they had no art programs at all so I was pretty pissed every class I went to. Come this April I'll be going to Art Institute of Pittsburgh to get my Associates Degree in Photography. :woot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:32 pm  Post subject:   
Doyle, I can't answer any of your questions. I haven't even applied to a college or university, ever! Best of luck in your endeavours.

In the early-to-mid-1990s, I taught myself how to program in various languages, and educated myself on various Internet-related technologies, and I went to work right after graduating from high school. Learning on the job occurs non-stop, so my I.T. education continues.

My work experience is more important to many employers than a degree; although it would have been nice to have one in several instances throughout the years. I have an ideal I.T. job (the kind you keep), and I make good money. I have always wanted a degree, but in order to get one, I would have to sacrifice time with my family. An extra $10k/yr. (average) wouldn't compensate for the lost family time. Also, I have no student loans to pay off.

That being said, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of a good formal education. Education would have me making $10k more per year, and you can't ignore that. Go to college or uni as early in life as possible, so that you will benefit from it for a greater period of time. Blabla preachy preachy :blahblah

My wife and I constantly illustrate the value of education to our children. They love school (remember that my wife home-schools them), because they see what it can do for them. They already know that they not only have to be smart, but they need formal education in order to do what they want to do. You have to show off how smart you are, when it counts. There I go preaching again.

My younger sister, who is almost 18, is dropping her high school attendance to one day per week, in order to work more. She likes money. She should realize that she could instead focus 100% on school, thereby getting a MUCH better job, and earning MUCH more money for her time. Changing her mind is one of my current personal projects.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:55 pm  Post subject:   
royank wrote:
I went to Nash Community College for two semesters. That school was a piece of crap they had no art programs at all so I was pretty pissed every class I went to. Come this April I'll be going to Art Institute of Pittsburgh to get my Associates Degree in Photography. :woot

Hopefully we'll be neighbors, because I applied to Carnegie Mellon. Right now it's my number one school, but I, and more importantly the university, haven't made any final decisions yet. Good luck with the program!

People here seem to have a pretty negative view of university, I can understand people who don't know what they want to do, but don't call it useless or a waste. Before you do that, try and be operated on by someone who hasn't been to university, or walk on a bridge built by an engineer who hasn't his degree. Or take a pill, created by a company with minimal knowledge. I'm not saying that you need to go to college to do great things, or succeed in life, but it's still extraordinarily important.

My summarized view on it? Could be the best 4 years of my life, and give me the training to do what I want in life. I wholeheartedly look forward to it.

Sarah and Joanne are wrong- this stays in here until it's proven.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:13 pm  Post subject:   
Right on MESS :cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:20 pm  Post subject:   
Yeah, I don't really think I'm going to stop at a bachelor's degree... I'll probably want a masters after I get my B.A. in international relations... who knows... Arts are great because they are very broad, I can make decisions midway and change courses, and the courses are so related that you won't be hurt (very much) by changing directions or majors...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:16 pm  Post subject:   
ok im just going to post randomly to say im Torontonian o_O

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:14 pm  Post subject:   
I got accepted into the art school of my dreams in november... but I'm second-guessing myself. Before art, I really wanted to do the whole medical school thing.. become an Oncologist... but I'll probably just end up sticking to the art school... I don't have the SAT scores to get into a good university with a pre-med thing ~sigh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:44 pm  Post subject:   
PSN: MistressWiggle
gondee wrote:
NA wrote:

You'll think that until you're older, and when you want to do what you want to do for a living, you won't have the training for it. Not to lecture or anything, but education is never a bad thing. :no Trust me NA, I was feeling the same way about going back to school until I tried to get a job in what I wanted to do, graphic design. Then after realizing I was gonna have to take some chump job if I didn't get another degree, I went back to school.

sorry G but no university on the face of the planet is gonna help me learn languages. They're all fucking useless. I don't need a degee to tell me I can speak Finnish. French, Polish whatever. If I can be out there doing it I will. 7 years of german in school at hard levels and still I'm not comfortable speaking it. I can garantee If I spent two years living there I'd be fluent. Goes for any other languge I wanna learn.

Whilst I'd go to do a geography degree I'm not paying English prices, they're a rip off and I don't support where the money is going.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:50 pm  Post subject:   
Clayman
NA wrote:
If I spent two months living there I'd be fluent.

*fixed :china

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:24 pm  Post subject:   
alpmaster wrote:
NA wrote:
If I spent two months living there I'd be fluent.

*fixed :china

Not really fluent, but highly functional in it. True fluency would take longer. And non romantic languages would take longer. And NA, studying languages in university is a LOT different.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:34 pm  Post subject:   
Clayman
This is true. But I could learn a Latin language in 2 weeks if I lived there. I gotta get back to Europe, but Japan is next. :heh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:06 pm  Post subject:   
To be functional at a language and to be fluent are two different things

It took me about 3 months to be functional in chinese, I think it will take a lifetime to become fluent... alrite maybe another year... :P

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:33 pm  Post subject:   
alpmaster wrote:
This is true. But I could learn a Latin language in 2 weeks if I lived there. I gotta get back to Europe, but Japan is next. :heh

Have you taken any japanese? Because when you do, take everything you kow about grammatical structure, and throw it out the window. :heh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:04 pm  Post subject:   
Clayman
I just know the hiragana and katakana tables for shits and giggles, but I do know how weird the sentence structure can get. :heh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:14 pm  Post subject:   
In the cafeteria, as for the man eating pizza, friend is. :heh

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 3 [ 54 posts ]  1, 2, 3