Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 10:05 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:20 am  Post subject: Board Upgrade Coming Possibly Next Weekend 5.01.09!  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Hey gang,

I just wanted to write a quick note to let you know that all the myriad various things are starting to come together and we're probably looking at changing over to phpbb version 3 within the next 30-60 days. I've got the classic theme almost complete and once that's done the remaining themes don't take as long, so I'm hoping to have all 4 themes ready by the time we transfer. If not, we'll definitely have classic and SSX theme ready to go, with the other two shortly after.

I've also got the scoreboard hack paid for and it's almost completely done. So that means that the biggest custom hack for our next version is set! :woot As far as I know there will be NO scores lost and the transition will be seamless. It pays to have worked on one board type for so long and know good resources for it.

Just to rest your brains at ease, we won't lose ANY of our posts. I've already ran several test conversions and they've gone off without a hitch. I expect when you log in after we've upgraded, the board will be at the same place it was when you were last here.

That said, I want to let you guys know a few things that might have to wait a few weeks before I can install them.

• Arcade - there is a good phpbb3 arcade hack out there, so we will have one eventually. But it's not a quick thing to install it and I don't know how many of our games it will play (hopefully all of them). There may be a period of a few weeks to a few months before I have most of our games up and running again. Bennieboj, I promise you it won't take too long. :D
  • Knowledge Base - this was my biggest concern after I started researching the transfer. It looks like the KB hack for phpbb3 is in good shape now, though I haven't had much experience with it so far, but it seems to be resolved. Again, I don't know how long it will take me to install and update all the articles back to their former glory, so it may be a few weeks while I work out the kinks.
  • Chat line - I'm dumping our crappy old chat line (who liked that piece of shit anyway?) in favor of a much nicer ajax one that is a custom hack for phpbb3. No money is involved and I believe you can use CAPITAL LETTERS. :eek :lol
  • I think we're gonna lose our nice little smiley list hack. *listens for NOOOOOOOOOOOO in the background*. :lol :lol But honestly, I think that'll be our biggest loss, and that's a super small one. :yes

Other than there peeps, there are SO MANY new features on this board that I'm not sad about upgrading. Here's a short list:

• subforums - we don't have any right now, but if we wanted them, we could have unlimited subforums! :woot
  • multi-person PM's. You can send PM's to more than one user at a time!
  • Report system - inappropriate post? Report it!
  • Mods/Admins can post attachments - we can post files for you guys to download right on the board.
  • Whole heaps of customization - you can turn off sigs, avs, images, etc all in your profile, easy peasy.
  • Reintegration with the fan art gallery. The version for phpbb3 is much better than phpbb2 and I intend on having art show up in your profiles again. :D

So the plan is to take the board down for one day on a weekend, probably a Saturday near the end of March or April, and do the transfer then. I don't anticipate any more than a 3-4 hour downtime, but in case it is longer I wanted an extra day to tackle any problems.

So as you can see, I'm really excited about the move, and I wish it could happen sooner. We're almost there guys, with the iteration of Gravitude Bar 2.0! :woot :woot

Last edited by gondee on Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:29 am  Post subject:   
SSX: Racing: #1
Clayman
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX: Racing: #1
  • SSX: Overall: #2
So I'm finally gonna be a mod with the switch over. Sheesh, took long enough.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:20 pm  Post subject:   
Master Codfish
XBL: bakalhau90
PSN: bakalhau90
I suggest you let alpmaster do the whole transition gondee.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:58 am  Post subject:   
bakalhau wrote:

:lol ^^

[hide=THX GONDEE ]:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy[/hide]

Last updated: 2015/01/25 13:38

Last edited by Bennieboj on Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:46 am  Post subject:   
Nice :) :cheers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:47 pm  Post subject:   
bakalhau wrote:

You got it. And while we're at it I"ll change the site address:

www.merqurycity.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:08 pm  Post subject:   
PSN: Eddily
It's like the future is here today!.........or next month. :heh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:30 pm  Post subject:   
So will everything look exactly the same?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:12 pm  Post subject:   
Not exactly, but pretty close. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:13 pm  Post subject:   
PSN: KBABZ
Sounds good! Attachments sound neat.

I did think "Wow, we're in the Dark Ages" when I saw the report thing, though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:28 pm  Post subject:   
Okay, I'm finished with the Classic theme, and just about ready to begin on the others, once that's done in a few weeks I will commence the board transfer.

Neat little feature I cooked up for our board:

In-window PM notification! No longer will your browser block the PM notification pop-up! So you'll always be aware when you have an unread PM in your mailbox! :woot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:33 am  Post subject:   
THAT LOOKS TOTALLY DIFFERENT

I don't think I can deal with this.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:41 am  Post subject:   
Lord Elevation wrote:
THAT LOOKS TOTALLY DIFFERENT

I don't think I can deal with this.

yeah me neither :heh :lol :woot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:45 am  Post subject:   
:lol You're not gonna get me with that. If Alpmaster likes it then I know no one else will have a problem with it, since he's the most bitchy about changes. :lol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:08 am  Post subject: Re: Coming up on a new horizon - the Switchover  
PSN: jonipooon
gondee wrote:
I think we're gonna lose our nice little smiley list hack. *listens for NOOOOOOOOOOOO in the background*. :lol :lol But honestly, I think that'll be our biggest loss, and that's a super small one. :yes

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Does that mean.... no more :jawdrop or :heh or :pimp or :cheers or :fro or character smileys?

I'm gonna save them all to my computer and look at them after 10 years, you bet. :wink

Otherwise, I think this upgrade will be awesome. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:29 am  Post subject:   
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
i don't think he meant the smilies. but the list hack that makes them their own page or something along those lines.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:33 am  Post subject:   
PSN: jonipooon
Ah.

Even after all these years I sometimes have a hard time understanding simple, basic english. :P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:00 pm  Post subject:   
Sorry for the delays guys, I've been extremely busy with freelance stuff and haven't had the time to work on the site. Shooting for the end of April at this point. :woot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:20 am  Post subject:   
Okay guys, I'm getting the SSX theme completed in the next day or two. After that, it's just arranging a time with the guy who is doing our scoreboard to install the hack and then we're going live.

Maybe as early as next weekend! :woot

Just as a side note - I can't upgrade the board to the next version if it's active - so I'll have to disable Grav possibly overnight while I upgrade everything. The upgrade program has to read a "static" database while upgrading so there can't be any new posts, etc. Don't worry if you check in one day here and the board is disabled for a night.

On the other hand...WOOT! Finally here! :woot :woot :woot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:40 am  Post subject:   
nice work gondee, we really appreciate that :thumbsup

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ]