Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:15 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:09 am  Post subject: Worth buying a Wii for?  
Heya all.

Just a quick question for all of you who are already enjoying SSX Blur. I'm not really a big Nintendo fan, so I've never owned one of their consoles. However with Blur out, I'm curious as to whether I should pick one up just to play Blur.

So, is it worth buying a Wii just to play Blur? Or should I save my dosh and hang out for SSX 5?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:00 am  Post subject:   
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Well, that depends. How much of a hardcore fan are you? Will you want to play it no matter what happens?

The reason I say that is if you aren't hardcore, this game might be tough for you to get into before you get frustrated. The learning curve is pretty high, and even though I picked it up in an hour, I'm as hardcore SSX as it gets. :D

If you have several games you'd like to play on Wii, then I'd say go for it. If SSX Blur is the ONLY game you want to play on Wii, and you're not hardcore, I'd say rent it and play it at a friend's house who does have a Wii. :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:15 am  Post subject:   
Well, I'm hardcore to the extent that SSX 3 is one of my all time favorite games. I adore it. I worship it. I live and breathe it.

When it comes to the others SSX's, I'm not quite as fanatical. Played the original a bit. Gave Tricky a good hammering. Finished OT (achieved #1 rank) then never touched it again.

So the prospect of hitting some of the SSX 3 slopes is tempting, especially from what I've heard that it's quite similar.

My biggest concern is how well the controls work. I've never played a single Wii game, so I can't really imagine how the control system is better than the PS pad. And the artwork looks a bit dodgy compared to Adam Warren's work (But you know all about that Gondee, don't you ;) )

So I'm really just wondering how it would stack up for a hardcore SSX 3 fan who has never touched a Wiimote.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:32 am  Post subject:   
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
The turning/edging is more satisfying with the turning through the Nunchuk, the tricking is more aggravating because sometimes the tricks don't register. It took me about 2-3 hours to pick it up well enough to start passing everything. By the end of day 1 I would say I didn't have much of a problem. The game is pretty short altogether (maybe 10-15 hours to pass 1 character), with not a whole lot to unlock after you beat all the events and tournaments.

It doesn't keep track of scores, so you'll have to get your competition fix by competing with other people on message boards, but we could really use the competition. :D

Judging from your statement, I'd say rent it - see if you like the controls before you buy it, but give yourself 2-3 hours to get used to it before you make a judgement.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:33 pm  Post subject:   
Yes, of course.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:31 am  Post subject:   
PSN: MistressWiggle
I'd say no unless there are other wii games you want to play. There are not many games that would make me buy a console and SSX Blur sure isn't one of them.

It doesn't matter what console you've played SSX on all rational control styles are thrown out the window with this game, I can garantee at first you're going to be very very frustrated, and if you have never played Nintendo before, or have no interest in most nintendo games I seriously wouldn't consider it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:38 pm  Post subject:   
I would say yes, if you could be swayed by just one game. I have been playing it like crazy, and this is without question the most satisfying SSX experience. The carving and especially the ubers are so much more fun and exciting to pull off.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:00 am  Post subject:   
Hey all

I finally got the game for my birthday (why are UK release dates always so much later).
now if your a massive SSX fan then yeah it might be worth getting a Wii for. however in my opinion its worth getting one anyway :).
Depends how you like your games. if your out for just plain fun and a good party toy then the Wii is for you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:36 pm  Post subject:   
I really think this is one of the best games out there for the wii.

Its a shame that some reviewers aren't taking the time to play the game enough and then give it a bad review.

The controls really are great after the initial adjustment period. And the graphics and effects are excellent. EA Montreal really took adv of the extra speed and memory of the wii. Better than zelda tp which suffered from blurry textures and low poly count.

I'm hoping that despite the low sales, we can see an ssx blur 2 with all new courses and features.

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]