Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 6:09 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:10 pm  Post subject: Monster Tricks  
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
What's your take on them being back in the next installment of the series?

Personally, I seriously hoped they reworked the sytem and the tricks aren't simply a combination of a current uber and a twist or anything like that.

I hope they're something along the lines of an ultimate uber, something sick, psycho insane trick...that would so rock.

Some sick trick that took a few seconds to pull off no matter what, tapping wouldn't make it go faster or anything like that. Now that would be a monster trick.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:30 pm  Post subject:   
That's be cool if it did another awesome trick animation. But other than that, I could care less, I like racing better anyways, and if I ever do a monster trick, it's on accident. I rarely try to do a monster trick. But yeah, a way so that they do a different animation altogether would be cool. Like a combo of buttons and shoulder taps.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:48 pm  Post subject:   
Gravitude MVP
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX 3: Showoff: #3
There's nothing wrong with Monster Tricks. It's the smurphy trick that changed the way SSX3 was supposed to be played. Simply remove the smurphy trick, or make the MTs doable only once per run.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:08 am  Post subject:   
Master Codfish
XBL: bakalhau90
PSN: bakalhau90
I love SSX3's freestyle, I don't mind having to do them again to go to the top. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:14 am  Post subject:   
monster trick's killed the video star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:39 am  Post subject:   
Um... what's the "Smurphy" trick?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:06 am  Post subject:   
PSN: RocketCat
The Monster tricks have to go!!!

they totally ruined SSX3...!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:02 am  Post subject:   
PSN: DTT-Ninthpixel
Well, I did like Monster Tricks at first because they encouraged extra points for creative tricks. What I think killed it was the bonus was a tad too much for quick MTs and too little for long and more difficult MTs. The Smurphy Trick also didn't help in that regard. I'll be more pleased with the idea of MTs if these are in..

More variety of them. Don't add 10 or so and call it a day. I want 50+ MTs. Many with the same point and total frame values, so if it does turn into SSX 3 all over again there will be a little style left.
More difficult. It needs to take some of the pros atleast a month to get some of the more rewarding MTs down consistantly. I want some of the best ones almost as hard as Heihachi's EWGF is Tekken.. Well, maybe not that insane hard, but you get my point, heh.
Balanced Point Values. Yes, they need to be more than normal tricks, but with more balance. No for example 3,000,000 compared to 15,000,000 scores just because of that factor.
Special Animations. I like Sketchy's idea of them doing something different. At the slightest just add special spark or flame effects telling you visually that you nailed the MT.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:05 pm  Post subject:   
Turbos wrote:

its when you do a trick and smurf's run around your screen
and a magical fairy comes and gives you points.
[/sarcasm]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:51 pm  Post subject:   
Attack Duck Owner
^ :lol

when you first heard that there was gonna be monster tricks in ssx3, didn't you guys think that they were gonna be some insane trick and not just a lazy ass combo of current tricks? I was highly let down by that. I was expecting more from what I had heard and read about them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:24 pm  Post subject:   
I'm feelin' ya on that one Vix. I never tried do hit a difficult MT because I didn't feel like have to master a large amount of button presses. That's why my scores were always so low, but it's all good. EA really needs to watch the glitches, etc. A few here and there are nice, but there were wormholes all over the place. Why make a game challenging when there are 50 different ways to improve your times w/o any sort of skill?!?!?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:58 am  Post subject:   
The Monster Trick are mostly based on the music artists in the game (i.e. The X-ecutioner monster trick is taken from the band called X-ecutioners who played their music in SSX 3). But anyways, how about creating-a-monster-trick stuff.

Check out my high score, man.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:30 am  Post subject:   
PSN: DTT-Ninthpixel
When I first heard about them I thought they would be similar to those found in the trick books from SSX Tricky. Some of them were so I wasn't too let down, but the fact that the coolest MTs weren't the ones you were supposed to use for big points was the let down. We got stuck with two of the most boring MTs in the whole game..

Also, it's already possible to create your own MT. Though, they are more for showing off. I myself created a bunch, but no one cared for them so... Oh well..

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:12 am  Post subject:   
PSN: MistressWiggle
SLD wrote:
Turbos wrote:

its when you do a trick and smurf's run around your screen and a magical fairy comes and gives you points.
[/sarcasm]

:heh :heh :heh :heh :heh :heh

Moster tricks shoulda been out. I mean gone were the days when you could just do a trick chapter and that was it. Now we have to be GOOD to do a monster trick, we have to have certain tricks such as the SSXorcist or whatever that look crap IMO in comparison to the Hand in Hand to get a platinum medal.

Waste of effing time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:27 am  Post subject:   
man I hate monster tricks period

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:27 pm  Post subject:   
Attack Duck Owner
Viggoforever wrote:
The Monster Trick are mostly based on the music artists in the game (i.e. The X-ecutioner monster trick is taken from the band called X-ecutioners who played their music in SSX 3). But anyways, how about creating-a-monster-trick stuff.

Now what exactly does that have to do with monster tricks? Welcome to like, one and half years ago. Monster trick names are based on the names of bands and what not....the trick itself has nothing to do with that.

And hell no on the create-a-crap...its bad enough there's a cac...:frusty

and it's bad enough that monster tricks are bad in the first place...

I seriously hope they are totally retooled and not some waste of time combo crap.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:38 pm  Post subject:   
I'm with vix... but create a monster is something that could work... as long as it wasn't in menus... like kinda make it up on the spot, but only like in a gamebreaker-kinda setting...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:43 pm  Post subject:   
Attack Duck Owner
:no

No, create-a-anything....ugh...if you want to create a trick so bad, go do it in real life, oye! :lol

That's one thing that I hate about some games now-a-days....the designers punk out and instead of putting a game in, they put all that create-a-crap...if i wanted to create junk, i'd play the sims...

:frusty....If everyone ones to create-a-something, go design a game or something...but video games are meant to be played, not spent tweaking a made up trick or character...I want to play a game, I don't want to play the sims. I want to snowboard, not design my board...or trick...that's what I'm paying 50 bucks for, the developers to do that for me....if I wanted to create something, I'd buy rollercoaster tycoon or something like that. </rant>

:lol :lol :lol

Anyways....monster tricks should be psychoticly insane tricks....not what they are now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:45 pm  Post subject:   
vix wrote:
No, create-a-anything....ugh...if you want to create a trick so bad, go do it in real life, oye! :lol

:heh
aight, aight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:07 pm  Post subject:   
Attack Duck Owner
:thumbsup :P :lol

:D

woo!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:05 pm  Post subject:   
XBL: aXxWallz
PSN: aXxWallz
Turbos wrote:

Don't ask. You'll try it, get hooked, and it will ruin the game for you. :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:17 pm  Post subject:   
Wallz wrote:
Turbos wrote:

Don't ask. You'll try it, get hooked, and it will ruin the game for you. :(

No, really. I want to know. It's not really gonna ruin the game for me 'cause it's so flopping easy to get Plats in the Freestyle events without monster tricks. (Though, I DO pull an Aphrodite or Yellowcard once in awhile if I have Superman or Jib-O in my lineup).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:32 pm  Post subject:   
Attack Duck Owner
read gondee's monster trick faq, this way we don't need to drag up old issues, :lol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:59 am  Post subject:   
Master Codfish
XBL: bakalhau90
PSN: bakalhau90
I've been thinking on this lately...

If there weren't MT, then freestyle would tottaly suck, specially superpipe and big air events.

Without monsters, the only thing you needed to reach the top was a 30x combo and then just tap D-pad 'till the end...all scores would be so close...that wouldn't be funny at all...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:31 am  Post subject:   
I agree with Baka, monster tricks do add a bit of variety to freestyle. And despite what anyone says it does take some amount of skill to pull off a monster trick.

Yes the smurphy trick has 'ruined' clean freestyle scores, but anyone who has tried to do 2 monster tricks in one jump will tell you it is not as easy as people make out. There is a certain amount of skill involved, anyone who has tried and failed to do X-X will back me up.

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  1, 2