Forum for serious non-SSX discussion. Forum is strictly moderated.
Post a reply

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:08 pm

Just wondering what people think about the Seal Hunt on this board. I want to ear some opinions.

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:58 pm

Well, I joined the real men facebook group. :heh

Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:22 am

It's barbaric and unnesseccary.

Inuit: Kill one seal use all of it, meat blubber bones etc.

Canadians: The seal eat fish, kill seal babies, we get more fish.

Um, No

Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:08 am

Well, It's illegal to kill seal babies... the reason they find it necessary to limit seal populations is because cod stocks are dangerously near extinction caused a) by canadian mis-management and b) overabundance of seals. The only way canada can save Cod stocks is by limiting the population.

Your view of Inuits is pretty funny too.

Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:42 pm

Well, tbh I'm probably very ignorant of Inuits because I've done little research on them so yeah thats prolly pretty funny to you.

However there are other ways to combat extinction give it five years and they'll be all SEALS ARE ALMOST EXTINCT WHAT DO WE DO D: -.-0

Though Honestly. I'm VERY bias when it comes to things like this because
A: Allegric to fish.
B: Hate and fear the sea and ocean and anything Fishlike in it
C: I love cute animals.

Seals are cute

Seals compared to Cod???????

Yeah I'll go for the Seal

Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:34 pm

Cod: supplies food for millions of people, both Canadian and American. A large source of profit for FISHERMEN and is helps the economy.

Seals: Cute.

Not saying that killing baby seals is the right way to go about things, I'm merely trying to justify what people are doing. These people didn't wake up one morning and go, "I think I'm going to spear 18 helpless baby seals for my own sadistic pleasures today!"

Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:04 pm

Haha, well, given the chance, I would eat seals... so umm yeah.

Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:58 am

Wallz wrote:Cod: supplies food for millions of people, both Canadian and American. A large source of profit for FISHERMEN and is helps the economy.

Not saying that killing baby seals is the right way to go about things, I'm merely trying to justify what people are doing. These people didn't wake up one morning and go, "I think I'm going to spear 18 helpless baby seals for my own sadistic pleasures today!"

Oh I know Cod is a huge source of income and stuff but frankly I just don't give a shit, they're fish, there are a million species of fish, WHY the Cod ones?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:31 am

Maybe Cod is just a Canadians favorite fish. :shrug

Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:20 am

I would say it's our fault (England) But we catch our own fish and we aren't clubbing seals over it.

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:09 pm

NA wrote:
Wallz wrote:Cod: supplies food for millions of people, both Canadian and American. A large source of profit for FISHERMEN and is helps the economy.

Oh I know Cod is a huge source of income and stuff but frankly I just don't give a shit, they're fish, there are a million species of fish, WHY the Cod ones?

That's like saying there are millions species of mammals, and asking you why the fuck you care so much about seals.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:31 am

Wallz wrote:
NA wrote:

That's like saying there are millions species of mammals, and asking you why the fuck you care so much about seals.

Yeah but Mammals at least all look significantly different.

I mean if we were talking about people clubbing Seals because they're eating Shark or Sting ray then fair enough, but I think it's a bit dramatic to be clubbing seals over cod, Maybe if people stopped consuming os much of it and ate Haddock or Salmon some more or something there wouldn't be a problem.

But like I said, I really couldn't care less, the less fish the better. It's completely selfish and irrational to you, especially since you're Canadian and on a personal scale it's none of my business but I can admit that.

I also believe Germany's banned all seal products now on the grounds of animal cruelty, so I expect Canada'll get the WTO involved and more tarriffs wll be sanctioned on Germany, but there we are. l'm not the only one against it, I think there's more efficiant ways than to be killing seals.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:01 pm

Have you ever seen how we kill fish?

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:05 pm

MESS wrote:Have you ever seen how we kill fish?

nope

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:22 pm

You guys club seals? :heh

I mean, that is pretty fucking high up on the bad ass scale, don't get me wrong - but is that really the most efficient way? :heh

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:26 pm

Now, tell me that doesn't look like a blast.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:08 pm

NA wrote:Yeah but Mammals at least all look significantly different.

That's likely the stupidest thing I've read in the past 12 month of my existence.

NA wrote:Maybe if people stopped consuming os much of it and ate Haddock or Salmon some more or something there wouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, because we're not going through a salmon crisis either... :rolleyes

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:38 pm

NA, fish is a staple, we are running out of fish, what the fuck else are we supposed to do? And, starve millions is the wrong answer. Put millions of people out on welfare and ruin a necessary industry in canada is the wrong answer as well.

The fact is, seals are overpopulated in the North, they eat the fish that give 100 of thousands of fishermen a sustainable source of income. It's just like you would get rid of an infestation of rabbits in a farm. Think about it. Think about it for one second.

Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:36 am

Wallz wrote:
NA wrote:Yeah but Mammals at least all look significantly different.

That's likely the stupidest thing I've read in the past 12 month of my existence.

I'm sorry if my logic is failing you here wallz but seriously, if you think a Lion looks anything remmotely like a Kangaroo words fail me.

I said to both you and Doyle right at the beginning of this argument I was gonna be completely and utterly biased, selfish and unrational. I know how important fish is, I just don't care. If we're having a Salmon and Cod crisis great, the less fish the better. I already said this, I already admitted my argument makes so sense to you, it's not supposed too and I already said it's none of my business on a local scale which is why I'm not doing anything about it like bitching on with greenpeace etc. I only replied because Doyle made a thread.

Like I said earlier:

Though Honestly. I'm VERY bias when it comes to things like this because
A: Allegric to fish.
B: Hate and fear the sea and ocean and anything Fishlike in it
C: I love cute animals.

So I'll be completely honest, you're wasting your time. I'm never going to agree to your "fish" side of the story, and I have no intentions on doing so, I know you're right, I know I'm wrong, but I just don't give a shit. You've been the "argument winner" if thats what you so want from the beginning, the moment I posted in the thread.

Doyle: I never said I wanted to starve millions :no there are just other ways of dealing with the problem.

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:09 pm

Why do you even reply in the lodge then? I mean, sure you are allowed to post, but the lodge is for coherent debates.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:03 am

xXDoyleXx wrote:Why do you even reply in the lodge then? I mean, sure you are allowed to post, but the lodge is for coherent debates.

Well it was YOUR thread, besides the topic was dead before I posted in it.

I'm allowed to post my own opinion even if it makes no sense to you, and normally, I will post an argument, I cannot stand fish, my argument this time is I hate them, it's on a personal level but it's an argument all the same.

Having said that, being the maker of this thread, you never posted your own actual opinion on them, you've been replying to myself. So I'm interested to know what it is, whether it's agreeing with wallz or not.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:45 am

Ah ok... lets let other people have their turn then i guess...

Yeah, I'll admit it, I was sort of trying to start a debate, anyone have any valid points for the other side?

Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:47 pm

I dont think it matters if the seals arnt endangered and it helps the fish recover. But seals shouldnt be overhunted in any area so there should still be some left over were they are now. And all of the seal should be used productivly once it is killed.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:48 pm

Don't worry, NA, you don't have to listen to logic. Just ask RE.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:57 pm

^ What are you babbling about? What an idiot.

Most people who care about seals or whales are just people who want to have something to feel good about. It's like donating money for African poverty NGOs -- worthless.
Post a reply