Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:27 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 229  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:26 pm  Post subject:   
after trying for so long to lose the few seconds i need to acheive 1:40, that video made me realize where i was losing my time to do it.... i had no idea you could grind the building ledges on the good output of the first phonebooth! 1:40 will be mine, mwhahahaha!!!

much, much props to ssx4ever on that run. you've got huge stones pulling some of those rail ubers in the beginning there, my hat is off to you good sir! :china :china :china :china (<--- ok, so the chinaman's hat is on, but we dont have a smiley of a dude taking his hat off :heh)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:33 pm  Post subject:   
Gondee, have you ever thought about a copyright kind of system, where people can freely show their accomplishments and get credit for anything new? This way more vids might get shown, and faster times might be achieved quickly.

Hope I'm not going off-topic too much.. :)

It is just that I love seeing this kind of stuff, and it is a shame so many feel the need to keep things secret.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:38 pm  Post subject:   
GEEZUS, how did people find those phone booth short cuts?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:42 pm  Post subject:   
almost nothing stays secret forever. I sent gondee the walkthrus on what i had found in the peak race transition areas even tho some of the tips in there may help give people an edge needed to break my peak times; if i get a capture card soon ill try and record some vids of something like a peak1 run for people too (p2 and p3 might be too long to get under 20M unless it got really heavily compressed). i think if people want to share, they'll share. if not, then that's their decision too. ya shouldn't hold it against them. some people may not care if their records get broken, some people might care.

re: the copyrighting idea, it's really too hard to prove someone MAY have watched a video just because they do something similar on a track. like, ssx4ever couldn't claim a "copyright" on going left towards the first phonebooth just because he released a vid of it. it's a perfectly viable path to take.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:48 pm  Post subject:   
Ravage wrote:
re: the copyrighting idea, it's really too hard to prove someone MAY have watched a video just because they do something similar on a track. like, ssx4ever couldn't claim a "copyright" on going left towards the first phonebooth just because he released a vid of it. it's a perfectly viable path to take.

Unless you really went for the copyright similar idea. Then it would be a struggle to get the (not so) "obvious" out into the open as quickly as possible. -- It would be more of a team effort at the end, with the best doing what they're good at. That might mean someone would execute the final vid/ run who can concentrate maybe longer & better for a 'perfect' run than either FBX or ssx4ever, if such persons exist.. :eek (I'm thinking of Peak events here)

But I didn't want to start a discussion about this right through the launch of this -beauty- from ssx4ever.. :heh :china

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:28 pm  Post subject:   
In... sane...

I got a good record... (good in my opinion)
it a million + score on that... showoff one... with the rails...
Id like to show you guys it but... I dunoo how to put it up... I have the replay saved, got a computer, think im good, just have no clue what to do.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:33 pm  Post subject:   
You need either a capture card or a digicam, you may find some information: here. Otherwise you post your question on how to do it there. (we'll see it ;))

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:13 pm  Post subject:   
PSN: RmcAZ
Great run.

However, my number one question is: Has anybody determined the odds of the placement you get after the warps, especially after the second one? I have only hit that location after the water tower warp once or twice, and I have raced that track many, many times. I was thinking: Does the location you get have something to do with how fast you got there? For example, maybe if you make it to the second warp in under 45 or 50 seconds, like ssx4ever did... then it would be nice and give you the better warp position?

Maybe someone else (like ssx4ever) would have more to comment on this because he has raced it much more than me...

Nice run though. :cheers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:28 pm  Post subject:   
the warp outputs are completely random. but, you have a better chance of hitting one than the either in both places.... meaning the first phone booth will more likely than not put you where ssx4ever was output (which is good) but the water tower very rarely puts you where he got put out (his location is good, the low chance of it happening is very bad :mad ) It makes racing the course a nightmare because you never know if you may have to start over simply because the warps decided not to like you

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:06 am  Post subject:   
Glad you like the vid guys, I was kinda happy with it myself :wink

Yep, the water tower port is a huge pain in the arse. I think I've only got it maybe a total of 8 times. I didn't really let it bother me though 'cos I was still shooting for gun times without it. I probably have a technically better run of 1:45 that includes the bad port.

Ravage, yep, go ahead and use the vid to help break 1:40. One of the reasons I made it available is to try and entice more people to the virtues of SSX racing :wink

gondee, I'm not sure I see a lot of value still hosting the 2:01. I'm sure you could make better use of the space and won't take offence if you remove it.

Last edited by ssx4ever on Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:11 am  Post subject:   
Any thoughts yet of where FBX is getting his 1:36 ideas from? :)

And is there much difference time-wise between a handplant and jumping the billboard, as I heard some people do?
---

Oh, and thanks Oodles and Bundles for this Gem! :china :china

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:45 am  Post subject:   
Quote:
Any thoughts yet of where FBX is getting his 1:36 ideas from?

Nope, and if it's anything to do with hitting select, don't care either. For now, I've pretty much decided not to compete against these runs for X3 as there's much more interesting stuff to concentrate on. I can certainly see room for 1:38 (in reality this is only about 1.2 secs away)

Quote:
And is there much difference time-wise between a handplant and jumping the billboard, as I heard some people do?

Oooh yeah. It certainly is faster (and would probably give 1:36), but I waste too many runs trying to get it. Funny thing is, that was how I stumbled on the warp in the first place. There's no way I would've been bothered looking up there otherwise. :heh If you look carefully you can see some of the collectables in full view that I haven't even bothered trying to get :heh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:51 am  Post subject:   
ssx4ever wrote:
Oooh yeah. It certainly is faster (and would probably give 1:36), but I waste too many runs trying to get it.

It might be precisely what FBX meant. :yes

Quote:
If you look carefully you can see some of the collectables in full view that I haven't even bothered trying to get

A movie run can look much better with collectables still there, though you mean the ones out off your path.. :heh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:40 am  Post subject:   
depending on how much angle you get before going up for the handplant, the difference between doing that and launching yourself right into the teleport would be the difference of anywhere between 3-6 seconds. But I've tried it before too with limited success, that's a really hard angle to hit consistently.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:06 am  Post subject:   
Well I have to tell you, Metro City was my most hated track of SSX3. Now, after seeing the video it has to be my favorite!!

Cool stuff putting those teleports there!!!

I love handplants and now have a use for them. :heh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:41 am  Post subject:   
thank you so much ssx4ever! with the exception of jumping over the building to get enough ubers to reach full boost (which is an idea i like a lot, it makes the beginning section a lot easier) our paths are identical. but now i dont have to kill myself trying to record a clean run!

last i checked (which was like two weeks ago) fbx was not using select tricks. however, he did consider scenery teleports (ie, crashing into something so that it would reset you farther ahead) to be legal. so that might have something to do with it.

and i strongly agree with your sentiments about not wanting to compete if it involves finding select tricks. there are too many other great games i could be wasting my time on to be obsessively scouring each course for selects that will save me half a second.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:47 am  Post subject:   
bah, a "clean" run in my opinion means no select tricks, and certainly no crashes. if crashing into something resets you further ahead, it's the same thing as being next to the same piece of scenery and hitting select manually. it's still an intentional abuse of the feature. And if my idealogy of that fact prevents me from getting any records, then so be it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:49 am  Post subject:   
Great vid ssx4ever! (props to the other vid-makers as well)

Although its gonna be said a lot, your run is the exact same as mine, except an un-matchable finesse you have in your playing style. I think atleast a few of us can relate to hitting that 1:40 mark, playing that same route over and over in our heads.

Watching your video however was a complete refresher. It's an unbelievable video and nothing less than a complete motivation to stick with such difficult lines, as you show the example of what someone with talent adds to an allready impressive and difficult (and tiresome!) line to ride!

:china

keep it up!
(watchout gondee, i may have just made super ass-kisser massive extrordenaire!)

Atleast partially updated scores:
http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/aer ... SX&.view=l
Merqurycity records-
http://www.merqurycity.com/ssx3/scorebo ... frame.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:33 am  Post subject:   
hehe, my R+B record tops the records on the SSX3 scoreboard...

so... how do i post it?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:52 pm  Post subject:   
Just blew away my old record by 100k!
hops up and down like rabid hampster
:gameboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:21 pm  Post subject:   
Self-contained Sanitarium
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Tricky: Racing: #3
happymachines wrote:
thank you so much ssx4ever! with the exception of jumping over the building to get enough ubers to reach full boost (which is an idea i like a lot, it makes the beginning section a lot easier) our paths are identical. but now i dont have to kill myself trying to record a clean run!

last i checked (which was like two weeks ago) fbx was not using select tricks. however, he did consider scenery teleports (ie, crashing into something so that it would reset you farther ahead) to be legal. so that might have something to do with it.

and i strongly agree with your sentiments about not wanting to compete if it involves finding select tricks. there are too many other great games i could be wasting my time on to be obsessively scouring each course for selects that will save me half a second.

1. Alright guys let me put your fears to rest. I am NOT using ANY select-tricks or anything else you might consider "unfair". I had hit my 1:40 about 5 or 6 times 2 weeks ago on completely clean runs.

2. I guess I'm the only one that is not overwhelmed by the video, because it in fact misses severel key strategic shortcuts that I use. All of my 1:40 runs were HORRIBLY sloppy to say the least. That is the main reason I've not posted a vid of it. I want the run to look polished when I finally hit it. Again, I think I can hit 1:35 or 1:36 no problem.

3. My recent absence is do to financial problems and I've just not been able to focus on the game right now. I havn't played it in over a week, but I expect to get back into it as soon as I can get my life stable again.

4. Every year, there's this big outcry from some players of "I'm too morally superior to use select-tricks, so I'm letting you guys think you're the best players, when I could actually smoke you if I wanted". Folks, I don't use select tricks because I want to. I use them because other people can't resist to use them. The prime example being online when I first got into a rivalry with L12 Mufinman. We were going along great when I realized his times were getting a little too good too quickly on Intimidator. After a few PMs with him, he confessed and I had no choice but to do the same. I'm not going to lose the top spots just because somebody else uses select-tricks and I don't. Call me immoral if you want, but that's the way the general sharks of the public are. They will use any means available (even hacking like we have already seen).

Anyway, SSX forever did do a great job on his path. Just needs to start looking for strategic shortcuts like sacrificing uber jumps for the greater good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:28 pm  Post subject:   
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Quote:
The prime example being online when I first got into a rivalry with L12 Mufinman. We were going along great when I realized his times were getting a little too good too quickly on Intimidator.

Heehee, I just had a similar experience online in superpipe. Usually I stall to let people go first, but the 3rd ranked dude apparently was looking for some secret technique that I did (whatever, just 180's) so when I braked, he did too. We sat looking at each other for like a second before my cow popped him one. I laughed my ASS off - he got so pissed he challenged me three more times. I beat him everytime, but I had a hard time winning that first one because I was laughing so hard! :lol

Another time, this guy did the same thing. We sat looking at each other for like five seconds and then I started punching and he started punching, but we were each too far away to hit each other! :lol So I moved a little down the track to pretend to start, and when he did I whacked him good! :lol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:34 pm  Post subject:   
Self-contained Sanitarium
  • SSX Tricky: Racing: #3
Ettepet wrote:
Unless you really went for the copyright similar idea. Then it would be a struggle to get the (not so) "obvious" out into the open as quickly as possible. -- It would be more of a team effort at the end, with the best doing what they're good at. That might mean someone would execute the final vid/ run who can concentrate maybe longer & better for a 'perfect' run than either FBX or ssx4ever, if such persons exist.. :eek (I'm thinking of Peak events here)

The problem with "team" efforts is only one guy gets to hold the record when it all comes down to it. I certainly wouldn't like it if I spent 6 months researching my best line just to have someone else take the record by a fraction and get the props for being the fastest. That's already happened to me before and it's not a fun experience for me. I know that doesn't bother some people, but I like to work towards a goal, not a communal enlightenment.

As far is copyrights go, its a dead issue. A shortcut discovery or the way you play a video game is completely off limits to copyright laws.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:17 pm  Post subject:   
Gravitude MVP
Damn right insane ssx4ever... You have some excellent skills man... :china

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:40 pm  Post subject:   
FirebrandX wrote:
The problem with "team" efforts is only one guy gets to hold the record when it all comes down to it. I certainly wouldn't like it if I spent 6 months researching my best line just to have someone else take the record by a fraction and get the props for being the fastest. That's already happened to me before and it's not a fun experience for me. I know that doesn't bother some people, but I like to work towards a goal, not a communal enlightenment.

Yeah, I guess for someone at or very much near the top you want to do things pretty much on your own.

After I posted that, I was thinking a bit of Kasparov, and how he was finally beaten by a group effort (Kramnik + many others). It was to me more feeling like treachory. I like Kasparov's style and achievements very much, and the one-on-one.

But, ..., you still can have a group effort trying frantically (or otherwise) to delve for those paths that will give you the best times or scores. A bit like is being done in Gondee's FAQ topic. Anyone, meaning even you, could help that (as you're doing already).

The run by ssx4ever makes it easier for people to look for improvements, as they not only now have something to compare, but can see the run and the environment to interact with. So, it is very helpful if you look at it as a contribution to a "group" thing.

Furthermore we are still very much lacking in "Master Runs" on many tracks, which was why I raised this subject. I (and many people here) love seeing "Master Runs", and many need them to complete goals like getting Platinum, or gold even, or bronze! lol :heh

The rewards of making a good movie run are obvious from reading the replies from people afterwards. :)

So my final say on this is: it is good to (try to) keep some secrets, but we also need enough openness to get these very good (or better: Master) Runs on the road! :yes

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 229  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 6 of 229 [ 5722 posts ]  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 229