Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:53 am  Post subject: Handplant for 8 seconds  
SSX 3: Racing: #1SSX On Tour: Showoff: #1SSX 3: Overall: #1SSX On Tour: Overall: #1
Scoreboard Honors: 8
  • Overall Best Players: #2
  • SSX 3: Racing: #1
  • SSX On Tour: Showoff: #1
  • SSX 3: Overall: #1
  • SSX On Tour: Overall: #1
  • SSX 3: Showoff: #2
  • Overall Best Players: Showoff: #2
  • SSX On Tour: Racing: #3
So, as I am seriously starting to 100% speedrun and complete the game for fun with all characters, I'd like to know...

How does everyone here do the handplant goal? I've experienced major issues with it, it can take up to over an hour before it yields results, other times I get lucky. This is not the level of consistency I can have in a 100% run. Therefore, I'd like to ask those here who have done the 8 second handplant: How fast do you move the analog stick? Do you have a strategy to handplanting, or is it just flailing the stick back and forth? Do you begin moving instantly as you get on the rail, or wait for your rider to tilt one way? Are any rails or locations better than others? Finally, how do you position your hands?

EDIT: This video contains a 42 second long handplant. You can see how I move my stick and everything. Good luck learning the handplant yourself, I am down to help anyone who may have questions right here in this thread!

Last edited by 898ppp on Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:34 am  Post subject: Re: Handplant for 8 seconds  
I hate this highlight, but i would just simply go to the junction, and just handplant on every jump. I hope for the best, and i would just move the stick back and forth. Its luck for me really.

Last edited by nigelcannonball on Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:07 pm  Post subject: Re: Handplant for 8 seconds  
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX Tricky: Showoff: #2
  • SSX Tricky: Overall: #2
I remember hating these goals, you have my deepest sympathies.. I can't help you, I'm clueless, sorry!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:20 pm  Post subject: Re: Handplant for 8 seconds  
PSN: Kubi-ssx
I've never done it, I gave up after about an hour and I pretty much accepted that I will never do it. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:32 pm  Post subject: Re: Handplant for 8 seconds  
SSX 3: Racing: #1SSX On Tour: Showoff: #1SSX 3: Overall: #1SSX On Tour: Overall: #1
Grrr, no one seems to have an actual strat for it... I just did my 3rd character (on my 898ppp save file, probably the ~7th time I have 100%'d including ones on the speedrun save file/others) and got the handplant in roughly 6 minutes of trying. I also got a late 16k for the first time in my unfortunate handplanting career, not sure if that's 9 seconds! I also found out that having cold fingers apparently helped, I was eating ice cream and I did it shortly after. (Kidding, cold fingers most likely do not help)

Sigh, I suppose it will have to remain luck until I can make it muscle memory, and even then it will probably always be a thing of luck... blargh.

Having this issue paired with going for 100% speedruns just does not work. This is not the fast track to getting less than 6 hours on a 100% run ...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:21 pm  Post subject: Re: Handplant for 8 seconds  
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX 3: Racing: #2
I've done it twice, but I'm no good at it! Just try with your analogue stick as much as you can! :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:20 pm  Post subject: Re: Handplant for 8 seconds  
I've already talked to 898 about this but I figured I'd post it here just to add to the thread. I found that after the initial hand-plant, once you reach the opposite side that the character starts to fall over on it is just a matter of tapping the analogue stick in the opposite direction in a rhythmic pattern. That is to say MAKE SURE you do not hold the analogue stick just tap it this is crucial to the success of this method. This career highlight is fairly simple to get done once you get the rhythm down. Hope this helps some people and I am more than happy to go into more detail about it should you be getting stuck on something :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:17 am  Post subject: Re: Handplant for 8 seconds  
This might help a lot of people! I've done a 13 second handplant with a controller overlay so you can see what I did. Good luck cracking the handplant code!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:44 pm  Post subject: Re: Handplant for 8 seconds  
Thank you guys! The 8 second handplant was something I still had to do. I decided to go on my PS2 tonight thanks to reading this thread and I did it!!!
Actually, I noticed that I had done plenty of 8 second handplants in the past, it´s just that I didn´t know you have to do it on an event, in the past I always tried that best moment in free run mode :PP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:54 pm  Post subject: Re: Handplant for 8 seconds  
Hi Tiago:

Congratulations on your feat! By the way, do as many SSX3 Big Challenges as possible, as they will help fine-tune your skills. While you are doing Big Challenges, I will be setting up a personalized program whereby you can eventually equal or exceed 5 M points on a Perpendiculous run. 2016 might be your lucky year, as I, along with other Merqury City members, are going to teach you how to perform skills regularly you hitherto thought impossible. In the meantime, keep doing the SSX3 Big Challenges, which will improve you'll accuracy and technique.

Take care--your Merqury City avatar is great!

Best Wishes to You,
QuotidianPerfection

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:54 am  Post subject: Re: Handplant for 8 seconds  
Thanks QP, that is actually quite a good start for me. Some Big Challenges require a good precission with the direction joystick. I don´t believe in luck, but if you mean by "lucky year" that this year I´m going to be more involved in learning about my favourite game of all time, you are completely right my friend :)

Thanks for the hosting you all have been giving me, just a few days investigating about SSX3 from a competitive perspective and I know a lot thanks to your community and good disposition to newbies like my, apart from the love you show to this game.

When I was little and used to play SSX3 always the 7up commercials turned upside down caught my attention, I want to drink dnL but can´t find it :´D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:13 am  Post subject: Re: Handplant for 8 seconds  
Hi Tiago:

You're welcome--and thank you for your words! You deserve that "dnL Boost"--I was glad I could give it to you, My Friend.

The SSX3 community is very available, and I think you will find many people willing to help you ameliorate your SSX3 gaming skills here. As an aside, I think you tremendous talent in SSX3 Racing Events.

Now, to answer your question: where you can find a "dnL Boost." Well, you can search the web, but I'm pretty sure Wikipedia says that 7up Company no longer makes the beverage described above. Of course, if you want to spend the money, you can call the 7 up Company, and request a custom-made dnL Boost-"it's worth a shot!"

Take care,
QP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:13 am  Post subject: Re: Handplant for 8 seconds  
Hi Tiago:

You're welcome--and thank you for your words! You deserve that "dnL Boost"--I was glad I could give it to you, My Friend.

The SSX3 community is very available, and I think you will find many people willing to help you ameliorate your SSX3 gaming skills here. As an aside, I think you tremendous talent in SSX3 Racing Events.

Now, to answer your question: where you can find a "dnL Boost." Well, you can search the web, but I'm pretty sure Wikipedia says that 7up Company no longer makes the beverage described above. Of course, if you want to spend the money, you can call the 7 up Company, and request a custom-made dnL Boost-"it's worth a shot!"

Take care,
QP

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]