Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:56 am  Post subject: Your story - How did you get into SSX?  
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX Tricky: Showoff: #2
  • SSX Tricky: Overall: #2
Hi!

A similar topic has probably been created before, but due to laziness I didn´t bother to a research on whether such a topic was created already, although I´m sure somebody has.

I can start off with myself since I´m obliged to that, sort of.

I was introduced to the series in 2003. Many of you probably know who I am, but back in the day I sucked at this game, like anybody else just starting out playing this game. A childhood friend of mine and his brother played SSX Tricky. I can remember my friend doing several mistys off the first jump on Garibaldi, and I was like "How do you do that!?" I was stunned, amazed.

Scoring 9000 lousy points on Garibaldi showoff at the time, I never imagined myself being where I am today(especially when my friend scored more than me after the first jump :lol ). I do believe I was never talented at the game. I just put a lot of time into it.

It wasn´t until 2007-2008 that I discovered Naya´s 3.06 million Garibaldi video on YouTube. I had racked up 1.8 million points at the time and seeing that video lit my fire. For some reason I wanted to excel at this game, and once I cracked 3 million on Garibaldi, I moved on to other tracks. Racing has never been my thing because I´ve always been obsessed with showoff. I´ve done some racing and gotten some good times, but soon enough I would miss showoff and return to that category.

During this period, from 2007 till today, I´ve also had interest in playing the other games in the series, with the exception of Blur and SSX 2012. Ironically, while it being the first game in the series, I just picked up SSX (1) just before Christmas after leaving it in the dust for several years. But SSX Tricky will always stay closest to my heart. <3

If you could bring your story behind your interest for the SSX games, please share it here!

Last edited by 9EDDY2 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:39 am  Post subject: Re: Your story - How did you get into SSX?  
Once a pon a time, in like 2008 when i was like 6, my cousin let my older brother borrow his gamecube for a few days and all the games. I also got to play a bit, so the game i popped in was SSX 3. It was the best deision ive ever made in my life. I of coursed sucked ( and still do a bit ) at first, but i played the hell out of it. The first character i played was Griff, probs because he was the youngest. When i discovered the ubertrick setup, i didnt really like griffs signature trick but i did LOVE guillotine. So when i found out Psymon had guillotine, i chose him as the game character that i would love til the day i die. No homo. That is basically how i started to love ssx. my cousin did give my brother the gamecube, but i bought it from him and i still have the same gamecube and ssx 3 today, and still play the hell out of it. the order of ssx i bought was: SSX 3, SSX On tour, SSX Tricky, SSX 2012, then SSX Blur. I dont have a ps2 so i dont have ssx 1, but ive been wanting a ps2 since like 1 or 2 years ago just for ssx. Anyway, QuotionPerfection inspired me to learn Monster Tricks. so thts my story on how ssx changed my life. Just need ssx 1 then i have all ssx's! :D
EDIT: I think the order of ssx was ssx 3, ssx 2012, ssx tricky, ssx on tour, then ssx blur

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:35 pm  Post subject: Re: Your story - How did you get into SSX?  
heres comes the grandmaster of tricky to tell his story :pimp

i was introduced to ssx tricky in 2005 by my brother and i was absolutely terrible at it, i hated it. But it made me mad cause my brother was so much better at the game than me (at the time)

in 2008, i saw naya's 3.06 mil garibaldi run on youtube and it blew my mind to shreds. this made me spark interest in the game again. my goal was to beat naya's score. i worked desperately from early 2008 to late 2008 and in late 2008, i got 3.1 mil in garibaldi and it took me an entire year. but yeah, thats also when i slowly drifted away from the game again....

but in 2012, i saw crispncrunchy's 2:08 elysium alps run on youtube and that was when i first saw a wormhole in the game. i thought it was very interesting so i again became interested in the game once more. i wanted to beat crispncrunchy's other race times as well and i ended up doing so. this was also when i discovered master runs. they looked so cool and i thought to myself, i want to do that! i want to be that good! and so begins my reign down upon this game. :pimp

but who knew that i first hated this game and ended up becoming the best ssx tricky player in the world! :P and even still today that the game is still being optimized to make the world records even better than they were before! :D

ZreknarF

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:33 pm  Post subject: Re: Your story - How did you get into SSX?  
PSN: jonipooon
I played Tricky at my friends house in 2001, and I was amazed by the graphics, funny gameplay and characters. A few years later I bought my own PS2 and thought "Which game should I buy first?" and by mere chance I noticed a copy of SSX3 on the shelve in a shop. From day one I loved it, and I kept playing it over and over again. I was so immensly fascinated by the world of SSX, and I wanted to know more about it, and talk to other people about it. Unfortunately, all of my friends at that time were only into games like NFS, Halo, Battlefield, GTA, and so on. Then one day in September 2004 when I was randomly surfing the web I typed in "ssx fan art" and found a link to some of Krystony's fanart for SSX Tricky here at Merqurycity.com. From there I quickly found my way to the Gravitude Bar, and the rest is history. :D

Good times.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:14 am  Post subject: Re: Your story - How did you get into SSX?  
XBL: N/A
PSN: SSX-WIN or gold-fingers_007
Well... I was probably 5 at the time Tricky was released. I was at my cousins house in Colorado, and we happened to play this game on a large tv in their basement. I got it about 5 months after we got back home on my birthday. Played it for a while, and then lost interest.

I got SSX 3 when it was one the most hyped games I knew of, and played it for a few months. After that, I didn't touch an SSX game until early 2013 when I finally got SSX (2012) for christmas. I picked SSX 3 back up cause I liked it, and I have been playing those two games ever since.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:43 am  Post subject: Re: Your story - How did you get into SSX?  
PSN: PGlassJar
A long, long time ago- back in maybe 2006-2007 (maybe even 2005-2007), I was maybe 4, 5 and 6. I used to absolutely love going to my cousins house. Every time my sister and me used to go there, we'd play his PS2. It was amazing. It had many memorable games- Sonic Heroes, Sonic Mega Collection (I think it's called that), Crash Bandicoot, Crazy Taxi, and of course- SSX Tricky. We'd almost always play SSX Tricky. I remember doing extremely well in Pipedream, and then about a year ago, he told me he was holding the controller under his blanket.

*facepalm*

Anyways, his PS2 got taken away as punishment for something he did (I don't rememeber what), and we never played Tricky again.

That is, until...

I wanted to relive my glorious days of playing Sonic Heroes. So, I got an emulator, got my CD of the game which I had as a gift (before my PS2 broke), tried out the CD on the emulator and it worked. But it wasn't as great as I remembered. Then I had a faint memory- that game, that game I loved so much, so I asked my cousin, downloaded the ROM, made my way back to lovin' the game, and you can guess the rest...

Now, I'm 12. When I play SSX Tricky, I enjoy Skype messaging Jack (you might know him : )), and try beating my PB's. They aren't spectacular, but it makes me happy.

So what about you, person reading? Have you submitted your story? If not, go on- press the Reply button and write your own story! ; )

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:49 am  Post subject: Re: Your story - How did you get into SSX?  
Great to see so many responses already! :) Seems like most of us were introduced to the game playing with others. It seems that only a few people found the game in the store and bought it out of curiosity.

Light Matter wrote:
. I remember doing extremely well in Pipedream, and then about a year ago, he told me he was holding the controller under his blanket.

I cringed a little at that. :heh That´s a bit rude, lol. But you´re probably as good as your brother now. ;)

I can especially relate to you, Jack. It seems that we have this inner urge to become the best. I´ve actually always been like that; whatever I do, I always compare myself to the very best.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:43 am  Post subject: Re: Your story - How did you get into SSX?  
PSN: PGlassJar
9EDDY2 wrote:
Light Matter wrote:
. I remember doing extremely well in Pipedream, and then about a year ago, he told me he was holding the controller under his blanket.

I cringed a little at that. :heh That´s a bit rude, lol. But you´re probably as good as your brother now. ;)

Nah, it wasn't really rude. I was about 4 or 5 at the time, so he was just being nice. Also, I'm better than him now. And last if all: My cousin- I don't have a brother. : )

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:44 am  Post subject: Re: Your story - How did you get into SSX?  
I agree with you on that ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:53 pm  Post subject: Re: Your story - How did you get into SSX?  
XBL: PeacefulJarl379
Welcome back ya'll!

So I got the first SSX around 2007 because I was addicted to skateboarding/snowboarding, and i sucked more than a T-Rex. Really, I was really used to pressing X on a controller. Then, i got SSX 3 for some weird and stupid reason, and i succeeded because you can turn with A. The rest is history.

My order: SSX, 3, Tricky, OT, 2012

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:39 pm  Post subject: Re: Your story - How did you get into SSX?  
PSN: Nick_Bester
My first PS2 I bought towards the end of 2000, had a demo disk included & one of the demos was the first SSX... After that I bought the game & then every other PS2 version! :yes

As much as I loved all the PS2 versions, SSX 2012 on PS3 will be etched in my memory for many reasons, these are some:
1) My first proper entry into online gaming.
2) Co-Hosting the SSX league event for PSN-EU members... Which we ran for a good 2 years!
3) Finding this awesome site & community!! ;)
4) Being joined by Todd Batty & other devs on our events a few times.
5) Winning a side bet with Todd that got me a swag SSX cap
6) Winning 2nd place (& a Go-Pro 2) in the SSX game cover pic comp they had, thanks to voting support from this community & also the PSN-EU community.
7) Winning another swag cap & poster from a giveaway event on this site! :china

I turned 40 in Jan 2012 :heh... & I guess knowing that a new SSX was releasing a month later was the best 40th present ever!
While many seasoned players feel SSX Tricky & SSX3 were the best in the series, I personally enjoyed the latest the most.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:38 am  Post subject: Re: Your story - How did you get into SSX?  
PSN: Uiabird
I got ssx3 around 2005, was ok at it... But was stuck when I got to peak 3 big air (Ok... I didn't get all the collectibles and big challenges either) so I stopped playing that and went to on tour, than waited... And waited, and waited some more until ssx 2012 came out. Lo and behold I went back to ssx3 after beating ssx 2012 and am almost 100% on Ssx3. Now I'm sure anyone here could beat me but at least knowing the tricks to getting big scores and fast times helped me a ton, and I am grateful to this place for it (or at least the guide, so both really.).

I have also played tricky and the first one as well, I have the soundtacks for ssx3 and ssx tricky as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:56 pm  Post subject: Re: Your story - How did you get into SSX?  
PeterGlassJar wrote:
9EDDY2 wrote:
Light Matter wrote:

Nah, it wasn't really rude. I was about 4 or 5 at the time, so he was just being nice. Also, I'm better than him now. And last if all: My cousin- I don't have a brother. : )

Sorry man, I didn´t mean cringe, forgot the word. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:43 am  Post subject: Re: Your story - How did you get into SSX?  
Ahhhh i remember it...it was when i gotten my first ps2 and along with it SSX. i was completely blown away how awesome it was, and i was never really into sports games.

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]