Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:24 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:06 pm  Post subject: Apparently, 2012 is on some Xperia devices now.  
SSX for Android now available for free exclusively on Sony Xperia devices

It's free for Xperia Z1 and Z Ultra owners at the moment. I wonder how much is in it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:02 pm  Post subject: Re: Apparently, 2012 is on some Xperia devices now.  
XBL: ChaoticJ 202
PSN: Lunar_Nobis
hmmm, so this is what Todd and the boys over at EA were doing since the Mount Eddie DLC dropped, not too shabby although it sucks that I don't have a Sony phone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:01 pm  Post subject: Re: Apparently, 2012 is on some Xperia devices now.  
PSN: ChrisCSW20
I downloaded this last night came in at 1.2G. went to install it and said it needed permission to send text messages,so deleted it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:20 pm  Post subject: Re: Apparently, 2012 is on some Xperia devices now.  
xperiablog wrote:
The SSX (short for Snowboard Supercross)
No way... They got it more right than the devs did.

Anyway, that looks awesome for a mobile device. Tilting to steer the wingsuit is probably the first time I've ever seen tilting used in a way I prefer. Not sure how the rest of the controls work on a device with no buttons though.

Also the shot they put for Survive It isn't off a Survive track. Not one I remember anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:58 pm  Post subject: Re: Apparently, 2012 is on some Xperia devices now.  
Hopefully someone will upload the apk for this

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:55 pm  Post subject: Re: Apparently, 2012 is on some Xperia devices now.  
PSN: Crazy_driveR3
umm....they did give a download link: http://eacdn1.eamobileclub.com/SSXSony/index.html

the catch is is that when it connects to the network.....it checks to see if you are using an Xperia. anything other device and it says "Not Compatible Device". or something

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:46 pm  Post subject: Re: Apparently, 2012 is on some Xperia devices now.  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Found this vid on youtube:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:34 pm  Post subject: Re: Apparently, 2012 is on some Xperia devices now.  
Nice find! Looks pretty good, although I'm reminded of the demo footage days when you couldn't tell if the controls sucked or the person playing just wasn't very good. :heh It seems like World Tour and Explore have been merged into one mode without leaderboards, there's four characters to choose from but otherwise the equipment screen looks the same, and whatever ranges are in are there in their entirety, though I only see the Rockies and Alaska in that vid. I wonder if you can still jump between The Dagger and Broken Tooth (or to put it another way, if this version renders multiple tracks at once like on consoles). I'm guessing no? Sounds like a lot for a phone, but what do I know?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:48 pm  Post subject: Re: Apparently, 2012 is on some Xperia devices now.  
Master Codfish
XBL: bakalhau90
PSN: bakalhau90
Hi guys!

I came across this one on TPB yesterday. It's free so I downloaded it baffled at what it could be. I played for 15 minutes. You wouldn't tell a difference between the games (mobile and console) until you got to the actual courses. Controls are surprisingly well thought out and it's very playable. Supports dualshock 3.

Looks and performs bad. Being only for Xperia Z/Z1, the former equipped with a quad-core 1.5Ghz and an Adreno 320 GPU, and the latter with a 2.2Ghz quad-core and a Adreno 330 GPU, the game looks worse than these GPUs can handle and runs below 30 fps many times. This on a Nexus 7 2013 (same config as the Z).

I was actually post news on the main page for this but I'm not so sure it's necessary anymore because I see you already knew about it :p

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:57 pm  Post subject: Re: Apparently, 2012 is on some Xperia devices now.  
Thanks for the info, baka! :cheers Too bad about the performance issues.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:23 am  Post subject: Re: Apparently, 2012 is on some Xperia devices now.  
citylights wrote:
I wonder if you can still jump between The Dagger and Broken Tooth (or to put it another way, if this version renders multiple tracks at once like on consoles). I'm guessing no? Sounds like a lot for a phone, but what do I know?
It does sound like a lot, but those tracks join up half way through, so I think to have them be able to be loaded separately you'd need two different rooms with the same bottom half on each, which isn't space effective.
At the same time though, this things probably limited by CPU, not space, so I guess they COULD've just done that...

:shrug

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:14 pm  Post subject: Re: Apparently, 2012 is on some Xperia devices now.  
Hmm, I didn't even think about space. It isn't a very efficient design either way, is it? :heh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:47 am  Post subject: Re: Apparently, 2012 is on some Xperia devices now.  
citylights wrote:
Hmm, I didn't even think about space. It isn't a very efficient design either way, is it? :heh
Well it's VERY lazy efficient for 360/PS3.

I think more than half of the courses share part of their track with another one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:19 pm  Post subject: Re: Apparently, 2012 is on some Xperia devices now.  
Quote:
I was actually post news on the main page for this but I'm not so sure it's necessary anymore because I see you already knew about it :p

Oh, don't let that stop you. I always appreciate news articles. :yes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:28 pm  Post subject: Re: Apparently, 2012 is on some Xperia devices now.  
Another video, showing a bit more of the UI and the tutorials:

Seems like there are four ranges. Forget what I said about WT and Explore; they're different. Dunno why the other vid had cutscenes in the middle of it.

MarcusAnnex wrote:
citylights wrote:
Well it's VERY lazy efficient for 360/PS3.

I think more than half of the courses share part of their track with another one.

Well, I'm sure it didn't stem from that line of thinking. IIRC the idea was that the characters would all start at different points on the peak, which obviously didn't work out but was a strong enough idea to inform the track design.

I'd also argue that, while the game looked and played great considering everything it was trying to accomplish, the numbers (30fps/1120x585 according to DF) show that there's a lot of room to grow, and we also didn't have split-screen. Based on what Mr. Batty's said in interviews, part of the reason for the lack of 60fps (rendering-wise) and split-screen is that they're doing so much with the tracks. I assume making narrower, isolated tracks would significantly help to achieve both of those. So yeah, it's maybe efficient when it comes to the amount of work needed, but I highly doubt it's efficient performance-wise for any version. Though I guess I'm getting off-topic now. :P

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:32 am  Post subject: Re: Apparently, 2012 is on some Xperia devices now.  
citylights wrote:
Another video, showing a bit more of the UI and the tutorials:

No grind button!
I guess they must've gone through and labeled every edge as grindable/not, because otherwise you'll be getting magnetized non-stop. Especially on the Rockies. I should go back and try to complete JT2 holding the grind button the whole time. That sounds miserable.
Click to reveal hidden content: show
citylights wrote:
Well, I'm sure it didn't stem from that line of thinking. IIRC the idea was that the characters would all start at different points on the peak, which obviously didn't work out but was a strong enough idea to inform the track design.

I'd also argue that, while the game looked and played great considering everything it was trying to accomplish, the numbers (30fps/1120x585 according to DF) show that there's a lot of room to grow, and we also didn't have split-screen. Based on what Mr. Batty's said in interviews, part of the reason for the lack of 60fps (rendering-wise) and split-screen is that they're doing so much with the tracks. I assume making narrower, isolated tracks would significantly help to achieve both of those. So yeah, it's maybe efficient when it comes to the amount of work needed, but I highly doubt it's efficient performance-wise for any version. Though I guess I'm getting off-topic now. :P
Oh I totally forgot about the different starting positions thing... I'm glad they didn't do it.
Yeah, that's probably where the split courses came from.

I meant lazy/efficient in space and development time. It's only lazy because I'm pessimistic, and to me 1.5 is just a lazy way to do 2, not an extra step above 1 :shrug

Also, when I look at other, great looking FPS/racing games that can pull off splitscreen it seems a bit silly SSX couldn't do it too. I believe Batty that CPU was the limiting factor, but... I don't know. I guess I just want it :heh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:15 pm  Post subject: Re: Apparently, 2012 is on some Xperia devices now.  
PSN: Emu90
That gamepaly video was painful to watch. That guy obviously has no clue :heh

But, interesting that's what they've been working on. Noticed the mountains in the background are back to just being a skymap instead of 3D. I wonder why they didn't just do SSX Tricky for mobile. Oh right they lost the code. But it should work perfectly on tablets and smartphones now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:33 pm  Post subject: Re: Apparently, 2012 is on some Xperia devices now.  
MarcusAnnex wrote:
No grind button!

Oh, I was wondering why that first person couldn't stay on a rail. :heh

Click to reveal hidden content: show
MarcusAnnex wrote:
I meant lazy/efficient in space and development time. It's only lazy because I'm pessimistic, and to me 1.5 is just a lazy way to do 2, not an extra step above 1 :shrug

I always thought of it as extra work. If you have three aesthetically similar track beginnings, I'm just gonna pick the one that plays the best. :P

MarcusAnnex wrote:
Also, when I look at other, great looking FPS/racing games that can pull off splitscreen it seems a bit silly SSX couldn't do it too. I believe Batty that CPU was the limiting factor, but... I don't know. I guess I just want it :heh

Well, it's priorities. They chose open tracks, and so for technical and gameplay reasons, it made perfect sense to do asynchronous instead of H2H. I think they chose wrong, though.

TrickyEmu wrote:
I wonder why they didn't just do SSX Tricky for mobile. Oh right they lost the code. But it should work perfectly on tablets and smartphones now.

Emuuu don't mess with my heart! :cry :heh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:06 pm  Post subject: Re: Apparently, 2012 is on some Xperia devices now.  
i found this video pretty cool

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:53 pm  Post subject: Re: Apparently, 2012 is on some Xperia devices now.  
Awesome video! The person playing it was pretty great at it, which made it look a lot better than the other two did. Seems like the other three ranges are Alps, Himalayas, and Siberia.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:27 am  Post subject: Re: Apparently, 2012 is on some Xperia devices now.  
XBL: CurryKingDH
PSN: CurryKingDH
It's bugging me how he has it working on a Samsung device

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:50 pm  Post subject: Re: Apparently, 2012 is on some Xperia devices now.  
Yeah that video looks much, much better. This is definitely big enough to warrant a news story. I'll get to it tonight. :yes

EDIT: Article posted! :woot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:10 pm  Post subject: Re: Apparently, 2012 is on some Xperia devices now.  
PSN: martymcflyy85
Its good to know that they've been working on something. Now (hopefully) on to the next BIG thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:12 am  Post subject: Re: Apparently, 2012 is on some Xperia devices now.  
PSN: jonipooon
It looks neat. Why not iPhone?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:52 pm  Post subject: Re: Apparently, 2012 is on some Xperia devices now.  
Seeing as it's only supposed to be available on Sony devices (it's possible to get around the build check) I assume there's some kind of exclusivity agreement. Perhaps it could come to iOS in the future, although I'm not sure if iPhones could handle it as-is.

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  1, 2