Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:51 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:39 am  Post subject: Fast Flips and Spins?  
PSN: CurryBrace
So I've recently picked SSX 2012 back up, and my roommate and I have been handing off the controller. Whenever my roommate does a flip he's able to make it incredibly fast, but whenever I do one it's usually slow. He uses Standard and I use Classic, but my brother uses Classic as well and he also does fast spins. Are there any tricks on how to do spins and flips fast that I just don't know about?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:40 am  Post subject: Re: Fast Flips and Spins?  
SSX (2012): Racing: #1SSX (2012): Overall: #1
Scoreboard Honors: 4
  • Overall Best Players: #3
  • SSX (2012): Racing: #1
  • SSX (2012): Overall: #1
  • Overall Best Players: Racing: #2
PSN: RadicalPlayer
Well classic and standard are two very different controls, I use both. It depends on a lot of things at first for example the game mode, whether its trick its going up an incline or race its, racing straight smoothly. Standard controls have the upper hand with trick its since its more frequent to perform a fast flip/spin on an incline rather than classic controls for some reason, I think it has to do with how well you pre-wind your jumps before take off. In race its there's not much difference since the paths are straight ahead of you and there's no point going backwards so the flips/spins should supposedly be fast...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:17 am  Post subject: Re: Fast Flips and Spins?  
XBL: movildima
If I remember well, there's a bug with classic controls that let you spin much faster than the standard ones. Have it been fixed?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:41 am  Post subject: Re: Fast Flips and Spins?  
movildima wrote:
If I remember well, there's a bug with classic controls that let you spin much faster than the standard ones. Have it been fixed?

Idk if there was ever a glitch like that...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:30 am  Post subject: Re: Fast Flips and Spins?  
I remember there being one.

And really, I wanted to use the classic controlls really bad too, but I got completely used to standard after a few hours of playing and it really payed off. I recommend it :thumbsup

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:11 pm  Post subject: Re: Fast Flips and Spins?  
There was a bug that made flipping on classic wicked slow. Like Marcus, I switched from classic to standard because of it and didn't bother switching back once it was fixed. There shouldn't be a problem now, though. Either way, I can't really think of any trick to flipping/spinning other than to have a good prewind...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:18 am  Post subject: Re: Fast Flips and Spins?  
Hmm, well apparently they still didn't fix it since people who use classic controls are always at a disadvantage in trick its. Try comparing going up a wall with standard controls and then with classic, theres always a difference in how fast you flip ._.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:18 pm  Post subject: Re: Fast Flips and Spins?  
XBL: N/A
PSN: SSX-WIN or gold-fingers_007
I never noticed a difference in tricking. Ever. It may be that I had less spin, but in the end, the amount of points I accumulated was always equivalent.

Since I just wanted to talk about it, here is a guide on the only slow spin glitch I noticed.
I seem to recall that slow tricks happen on both Classic and standard. I tried testing to see how I could get (and thus avoid) accidentally getting slow tricks, and I noticed a strange thing. Usually when I ride up a very steep cliff and jump off, where normally I would fly backward from the direction of the jump (like in Tricky), I end up with very slow spin, and I go straight up. I then came to the conclusion that there is something that makes one unable to reverse one's direction. As in, the game blocks the player from completely turning around when one jumps into the air. I believe this barrier or force, at the moment of jumping, makes you let go of whatever trick and grab you have for possibly a frame, or shorter, thus resulting in a failed spin. Observe these images:

I can only jump upwards. No matter how inclined the mountain is, you will never end up back at X, you may end up next to it, but not directly on it.
Fig. 1
|\--- ^
|-\-- |
|--\- |
|---\ | *jump*
|----\- \
|-----\- \
|------\- \
|-------\- \
|--------\- \
|---------\ __X

This Never happens:
Fig. 2
|\- - - - ^
|-\- - - /
|--\- - /
|---\- / *jump*
|----\- \
|-----\- \
|------\- \
|-------\- \
|--------\ __X
This is the only instance I encounter when I lose my spin in either controller settings.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:13 pm  Post subject: Re: Fast Flips and Spins?  
I wish there was a way to just like posts.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:42 am  Post subject: Re: Fast Flips and Spins?  
PSN: CurryBrace
I always get slow spins even off normal jumps. Also, my brother says he's been having the same problem recently, so I dunno what's going on.
It's easier to wind up a trick with Standard controls because you steer and flip with the same buttons. I'm going to try using the D-Pad for steering and see if that makes any difference.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:34 am  Post subject: Re: Fast Flips and Spins?  
PSN: TaysteChampion
What Goldfinger posted is interesting! Interesting findings! This bug plagues the game for Standard controls too, not just Classic. I use standard and this was a major problem I ran into.

You can see the slow spin at various points in the only trick video I ever uploaded. Both on vertical and forward ramps.

I never figured out how to avoid it consistently, but I developed some techniques that seemed to reduce it. I remember I PM'd Hero Complexity about this, and he told me to make sure I am going in a completely straight line before the jump and in the case of vertical ramps, heading back up the mountain a bit so that you really are going up a vertical ramp and not just going up the illusion of a vertical ramp that is in actual fact quite angled.

I always figured Standard was easier for fast spins because the flipping is done on the analogue stick same as the steering so pre-winding is no stress at all.

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]