Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:07 am  Post subject: Starting to get Depressed (take this seriously please)  
XBL: ChaoticJ 202
PSN: Lunar_Nobis
hey guys, soo for a couple of days now things haven't been going so nicely for me :sad and it's actually starting to take a toll on me. Firstly, as you know i'm a brony and I actually told my family and friends about it (my parents and friends don't care and my friends actually support me for liking the fandom) but my brother is still pissed and is calling me gay, homo, faggot, ponyfag, mentally retarded, etc. and now even people from work found out and their first though was to question if i was gay or not. nice to know that that's what people think of me since joining the brony fandom. and plus work is also been having an effect and i feel myself getting more and more agitated with each day...

also, i'm actually feeling low on esteem from not having many friends, you guys here on the site are the closest to real friends i've ever had and other than that i can't socialize worth shit in the real world. i don't know what it is but i'm just not feeling happy right now, but i thought i should tell someone before it escalates.....hope you guys have a great and maybe leave some tips on how to cope with this, thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:25 pm  Post subject: Re: Starting to get Depressed (take this seriously please)  
Talk to your brother.
That's the best way to deal with that, he probably just can't accept it, and he is your brother, he'll get over himself eventually.

As for your coworkers, that's just how the world sees bronies, I'm sorry to say.

Also, congrats on having the guts to come out with that IRL.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:07 pm  Post subject: Re: Starting to get Depressed (take this seriously please)  
Salariedcat7507 wrote:
Talk to your brother.
That's the best way to deal with that, he probably just can't accept it, and he is your brother, he'll get over himself eventually.

As for your coworkers, that's just how the world sees bronies, I'm sorry to say.

Also, congrats on having the guts to come out with that IRL.

thanks , it's just been hard these past few days that's all and all my other brony/pegasister friends in schooling and me being graduated it's been getting harder and harder to stay in contact or even socialize with them which in turn has been cutting me off from visiting with friends or people that at least understand what i'm trying to do.

anyways thanks for the support, you made my day a little bit better, and hey it's good to know that someone who doesn't like the show at least supports someone who does :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:12 pm  Post subject: Re: Starting to get Depressed (take this seriously please)  
PSN: TaysteChampion
Lol? I can't tell if this is serious or if you are trolling. If you're taking the piss it's not funny. Well, it is funny, but depression is not funny.

If you're being serious. You need to calm down, mate. What are you on about brony? I just looked it up on google. My Little Pony fandom? What the hell? Why did you tell your parents, family and work friends? It's not a condition. It's not a disease. We can all have our hobbies and interests and 'likes' in life without having to tell everyone about them... so, ok, you told everyone, and they are taking the piss. Best way to deal with it? Take the piss out of yourself along with them, and DON'T let it get to you. If my mates have been taking the piss out of me for something I have done or whatever, I join in with it and don't take it seriously. 9 times out of 10 I end up in tears of laughter.

You need to take it with light heartedness. Why did you tell everyone about your Brony thing in the first place? What did you expect to happen? Of COURSE people will laugh. My Little Pony as I am aware is a brand which targets little girls, much like Barbie. I know of it from seeing the toys my sister had when I was a child. So, you told everyone, now they are taking the piss, as I said, you need to take it with a pinch of salt, accept who you are and be confident of who you are. When people laugh, laugh with them. You have to see the funny side to it.

You said you don't have many friends. So you do have some friends? Or 1? That is all that matters. I only have a few friends, and I prefer it that way. I hold them dear and I trust them. Problem for me that is one of my friends moved to Japan and the other two live 2 hours drive away, and next month are moving to Australia for 6 months. So I will literally be friendless for 6 months. But there is always hope in sight, as I know they are coming back.

Take care and you always have friends here.

Tayste

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:51 pm  Post subject: Re: Starting to get Depressed (take this seriously please)  
Click to reveal hidden content: show
TaysteChampion wrote:
Lol? I can't tell if this is serious or if you are trolling. If you're taking the piss it's not funny. Well, it is funny, but depression is not funny.

If you're being serious. You need to calm down, mate. What are you on about brony? I just looked it up on google. My Little Pony fandom? What the hell? Why did you tell your parents, family and work friends? It's not a condition. It's not a disease. We can all have our hobbies and interests and 'likes' in life without having to tell everyone about them... so, ok, you told everyone, and they are taking the piss. Best way to deal with it? Take the piss out of yourself along with them, and DON'T let it get to you. If my mates have been taking the piss out of me for something I have done or whatever, I join in with it and don't take it seriously. 9 times out of 10 I end up in tears of laughter.

You need to take it with light heartedness. Why did you tell everyone about your Brony thing in the first place? What did you expect to happen? Of COURSE people will laugh. My Little Pony as I am aware is a brand which targets little girls, much like Barbie. I know of it from seeing the toys my sister had when I was a child. So, you told everyone, now they are taking the piss, as I said, you need to take it with a pinch of salt, accept who you are and be confident of who you are. When people laugh, laugh with them. You have to see the funny side to it.

You said you don't have many friends. So you do have some friends? Or 1? That is all that matters. I only have a few friends, and I prefer it that way. I hold them dear and I trust them. Problem for me that is one of my friends moved to Japan and the other two live 2 hours drive away, and next month are moving to Australia for 6 months. So I will literally be friendless for 6 months. But there is always hope in sight, as I know they are coming back.

Take care and you always have friends here.

Tayste

thanks Tayste, and though i found it a little drastic your explanation helped greatly. i shouldn't have to give a shit about what people think of the fandom i chose, if they hate the show fine cool by me but they can't hate the people who do enjoy it.

oh yea, good luck in Australia there Tayste and know we are here for ya as well

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:56 pm  Post subject: Re: Starting to get Depressed (take this seriously please)  
Wind_Waker23 wrote:
thanks Tayste, and though i found it a little drastic your explanation helped greatly. i shouldn't have to give a shit about what people think of the fandom i chose, if they hate the show fine cool by me but they can't hate the people who do enjoy it.

oh yea, good luck in Australia there Tayste and know we are here for ya as well

Drastic because depression is something I take very seriously, it's personal to me, I have been there myself for years. I just wanted to give you some compassion but also to give you some reality. The reality is, and you can dress it up and call it being a Brony, but it's the same as any other interest. There is no need to tell the world what my interests are or to label myself as anything because I love a particular show, particularly if it means building yourself up to telling family / work colleagues. When I said take it with a pinch of salt, I mean, don't take the piss taking seriously. Honestly, people don't hate you for liking a show. If they do that is their problem.

If I love a show, I love a show. When it comes up in conversation, it comes up in conversation... I don't see the need to tell my parents or anyone like it's some kind of 'coming out of the closet' kind of thing. Is it any surprise the comparisons to homosexuality when this is how it's perceived? People won't take you seriously and pass it off as a phase rather than a genuine interest. I don't see the point of this? Calling yourself a brony seems to me like creating an 'issue' or 'problem' out of what is just an interest, especially as this has caused you distress. I don't mean to dig, it's just very hard to take this seriously. If you are genuinely depressed then we can talk as I have been there myself for years.

I am not going to Australia :) it is my friends who are going.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:08 pm  Post subject: Re: Starting to get Depressed (take this seriously please)  
I'm not sure if this'll help or not, but i've been through depression multiple times, and I know how you feel, especially with the brony part. It was pretty hard for me to, for lack of a better term, "come clean" about my bronydom to my family/friends. Did it about one and a half years ago, and most of the name-calling subsided a few months later (although I do still have one "friend" who still can't seem to take me seriously...what an asshole :lol ). A nice way I found to reduce the namecalling was show the results of a brony survey that someone did, which was posted on Equestria Daily. The results showed that there was in fact a higher percentage of straight people watching it than gay, bisexual or other orientations. People can't really argue with science.

However, the situation with your brother seems a lot more serious. I'd advise you to do something that I did not do at the time, and talk to a police officer. I'm not saying to full-on accuse him of something, but at least talk it over with someone of authority. Being called a "homo" and "mentally retarded" sounds really bad. Your parents and friends seem nice, though, and you're very lucky to have friends who are supportive of you, something which I didn't have for 8 months at the least.

And for general depression tips, I'd pretty much say listen to jaunty, up-beat music, and try and keep a positive outlook on life. Gonna quote the song "A is for Action" by Ima Robot (which you should all know from SSX 3) and say: "Hang on, hang on".

Also, @Tasyte: the general idea of MLP being exclusively for girls is pretty much a sham. I'd suggest you at least watch one episode of the show to get your view of it back on track. Not trying to convert you or anything, but i'd say a good starting point would be S2 EP3. Got a few good references in there which only adults (or smart kids like me) would get.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:26 pm  Post subject: Re: Starting to get Depressed (take this seriously please)  
Click to reveal hidden content: show
Baron von Gikkigen wrote:
I'm not sure if this'll help or not, but i've been through depression multiple times, and I know how you feel, especially with the brony part. It was pretty hard for me to, for lack of a better term, "come clean" about my bronydom to my family/friends. Did it about one and a half years ago, and most of the name-calling subsided a few months later (although I do still have one "friend" who still can't seem to take me seriously...what an asshole :lol ). A nice way I found to reduce the namecalling was show the results of a brony survey that someone did, which was posted on Equestria Daily. The results showed that there was in fact a higher percentage of straight people watching it than gay, bisexual or other orientations. People can't really argue with science.

However, the situation with your brother seems a lot more serious. I'd advise you to do something that I did not do at the time, and talk to a police officer. I'm not saying to full-on accuse him of something, but at least talk it over with someone of authority. Being called a "homo" and "mentally retarded" sounds really bad. Your parents and friends seem nice, though, and you're very lucky to have friends who are supportive of you, something which I didn't have for 8 months at the least.

And for general depression tips, I'd pretty much say listen to jaunty, up-beat music, and try and keep a positive outlook on life. Gonna quote the song "A is for Action" by Ima Robot (which you should all know from SSX 3) and say: "Hang on, hang on".

Also, @Tasyte: the general idea of MLP being exclusively for girls is pretty much a sham. I'd suggest you at least watch one episode of the show to get your view of it back on track. Not trying to convert you or anything, but i'd say a good starting point would be S2 EP3. Got a few good references in there which only adults (or smart kids like me) would get.

thanks, i'll try to talk with him first ,but there has been other things as well such as me overhearing my parents arguing or my work hours being cut or putting up with asshole customers. the only thing that the being a brony part get worse was because i bought a couple t-shirts which lead to name calling and etc. but Tayste is right, with this fandom you need to be able to put up "salt in the wound" but it will pay off eventualy. So to be clear there are other issues contributing to this and just stress in general as well as being bullied in the past has made it tough for me. and i know it's sounds sugarcoated and ,maybe some of it is too overstated but i do feel the life being sucked out of me.... and it is good i at least have people here to talk when people around me don't want to listen.

@Tayste sorry 'bout the mix up i thought for a sec that you were moving :heh (should probably read in more detail next time)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:06 pm  Post subject: Re: Starting to get Depressed (take this seriously please)  
PSN: CharmyDweeng

must be hard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:00 pm  Post subject: Re: Starting to get Depressed (take this seriously please)  
oh Charmy, ya never cease to amuse me :heh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:00 pm  Post subject: Re: Starting to get Depressed (take this seriously please)  
Lol. Good to see you're seeing the funny side to it. I didn't even know there was a new My Little Pony haha, I just know the old one from the 80s - there was no show, it was just toys I think. And they were very girly, and very... 2-8 kind of age range :P

But yes, I will check it out. I am open minded.

Hang in there buddy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:52 am  Post subject: Re: Starting to get Depressed (take this seriously please)  
ok, i finally talked to my brother and he said he was sorry, he says he's just been too stressed from his overnights and he wasn't thinking right. it's nice to know that he is at least sorry. and one more thing that's been putting me on edge is that he wants to join the Canadian Reserves, not that i don't support him but i'm worried for him that's all. but anyways at least the name calling is starting to subside (not completely gone, but whatev i'm rolling with it)

@Tayste: oh you'd be suprised how many internet and culture references are in the show, but ya gotta get past S2 at least and Lauren Faust has also taken notice to the rise of male fans and has tried to get said references noticed, plus we even got a Derpy cameo which she started as an animation error turned fan character if you can believe it

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:07 am  Post subject: Re: Starting to get Depressed (take this seriously please)  
I know a few bronies. Friends of friends and stuff.
Nobody really cares that they like it.
They don't think it's even worth the time to mention, and neither does anyone else.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:35 am  Post subject: Re: Starting to get Depressed (take this seriously please)  
MarcusAnnex wrote:
They don't think it's even worth the time to mention, and neither does anyone else.

apparently people in area think so for some reason :???

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:00 am  Post subject: Re: Starting to get Depressed (take this seriously please)  
Good to see the situation with your bro is straightening out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:55 am  Post subject: Re: Starting to get Depressed (take this seriously please)  
XBL: WAffle3690
You shouldn't give a shit what people think of you and you should never be ashamed for liking what interests you. When I first started welding people automatically assumed I was a lesbian. I'm not but I didn't care what they thought of me. I told my fiance, boyfriend at the time, that I wrote fanfiction and drew fanart and he could either support me or get out. These things make me happy and if being a brony makes you happy than good for you, keep going. Some people will deny themselves their own interests just because of what other people think and I think thats just wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:54 am  Post subject: Re: Starting to get Depressed (take this seriously please)  
so quick update, i'm going to talk a professional today about my other issues and even better my job has noticed i'm not doing too well and have given me 3 days off. but then more bad news, i found out my dad got laid off from Domtar (our local pulp mill);however, he did get rehired up at the Tolko sawmill in Merrit, so i'm kinda feeling 50/50 'bout that

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:25 pm  Post subject: Re: Starting to get Depressed (take this seriously please)  
Wind_Waker23 wrote:
MarcusAnnex wrote:
apparently people in area think so for some reason :???
But more importantly, YOU do as well.

Pretty much read what Sick One said again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:38 pm  Post subject: Re: Starting to get Depressed (take this seriously please)  
PSN: HIGHERconcept
hey OP.

just wanted to say that ive been lurking this thread, and i feel for you. just know that everyone has been through that sort of stuff from time to time, so you're not alone.

just tonight, i had a supposed "best friend" lie to me and give me a BS reason why he didn't want to give me a ride somewhere. i know, it sounds inconsequential, but as you probably well know, its different when its personal. and since its a "fresh wound" (happened less than a half hour ago) i thought i'd chime in.

anyway, i think Sick One's response is probably the best, but i thought id give you a few ways that i like to deal with stress.

1. music. this is my best way for me to deal with stress. just crank something up, whether its upbeat or angry, and just get lost in the music. im blasting Liar Liar by the Used right now, basically on repeat, and its already helping calm me down. if you play an instrument, even better. learn a new song or just play the ones you already know.

2. gaming. this is obvious since we're on a gaming fan-site, but i think its helpful. just make sure you pick a game that wont make it worse (looking at you CoD and Battlefield). A favorite of mine is the Skate series. no pressure, no rules, no losing, just skate.

3. write your feelings down on paper. then burn it (safely ;) ) somewhat cathartic, and stress relieving.

4. go for a walk. not much to it, but its helped me before.

hopefully one of these will help. keep your head up! :)

I challenge you to a CHOPPA DOOL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:03 pm  Post subject: Re: Starting to get Depressed (take this seriously please)  
PSN: GeeFunk2010
You know what Wind? Ima gonna say a couple of things. I have nothing but respect for what you have done. It takes a LOT of guts to "come out" like you did. I KNOW!! I knew from the age of 11-12yrs that I liked girls AND boys. But it took me 12yrs before I dared to tell my familly(mother and brother). You know what their response was?? Well, we allready knew that years ago...WTF??? I spent 12yrs with a lot of depressions, guilt, anger and frustration only to find out they where totally cool with it. My only regret is that I didn't tell them sooner. I had some friends that couldn't accept it..haven't spoken to them since. But for the most part people just saw me as the person I have always been. The one you are inside. So my advice to you? You stay true to yourself..no matter what! And the one's that are stil there...they are the one's to keep :) FUCK ALL THE REST!!!!

You have my utmost respect Wind...4 LIFE :D

I'm going to stand outside, so if anyone asks I'm outstanding :tridentwhite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:57 pm  Post subject: Re: Starting to get Depressed (take this seriously please)  
well, thanks Gee. things have been getting better day by day, hell things have pretty quiet

and the part about my dad being laid off, it's ok he's already found another job so that's pretty good. i think we can call this thread as good as done and thanks to everyone for their support and i'm feeling A LOT better now

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:06 pm  Post subject: Re: Starting to get Depressed (take this seriously please)  
Glad to hear that :) what I have found in my experience of growing up, I am still young mind you! 28 today yes it's my birthday :) but what I have found and this is slightly unrelated to depression, but the emotions you feel like sadness and anger, what I have found is that times when you feel sad or angry, it's never good to bottle it up, but you have to release it in a sensible way. Don't barrage a particular person or be extreme in your ways. It won't help your relationships. What I do is sleep it off, yesterday for example I had an emotional moment and I wanted to tell someone how I felt, but I stopped myself and lay on my bed and fell asleep at 7pm. I woke up at 9am today, 14 hours sleep! But those emotional feelings were pretty much gone.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:39 am  Post subject: Re: Starting to get Depressed (take this seriously please)  
XBL: twoskilld4U
i dont understand the having many friends thing as a confidence booster...

better to have two or four really good friends than over 20 people you barely know.

Hell most of the people i knew i dont even talk to anymore.

Anyways its funny that you can like something like Dexter, but we cant watch a show that (usually) has real substance, character development that isnt lazy and is (usually) intelligent, that you can watch with your kids or lil siblings, and talks about situations that you could get into in real life, and even references adult shows (star wars, king kong, doctor who, i could go on), and has more easter eggs than skyrim and borderlands combined.

People just cant get past the fact that there are cute little singing ponies on the screen.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:03 pm  Post subject: Re: Starting to get Depressed (take this seriously please)  
Yo, my friends ALWAYS make fun of me for loving SSX. What i do is make fun of what they like to piss them off (but don't actually do that) so they know what it feels. Also sorry for late response im new here :P :P

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:31 pm  Post subject: Re: Starting to get Depressed (take this seriously please)  
XBL: CurryKingDH
PSN: CurryKingDH
People criticise and ridicule what they don't understand or don't like for themselves. It's sad that people often jump to conclusions about others based off of the things they like, watch or do and what's more saddening is that there's usually not much you can do about it.

Advice from me would be to look at it like this... let things smooth over for a bit and the people that forget about it and continue to treat you how they used to are the only ones that should matter to you. Clearly the others are fake or don't value knowing you as much as you did them, otherwise this wouldn't matter to them. From there you might just have to cut people out of your life if it's getting you down as much as you say.
That sounds cold but unfortunately it's the way it might have to be. In the long run you should end up with a group of family and friends that you know are real.
That being said, don't rush into breaking relationships with other people up. Some peeps might take more time than others.

Short story... ride the wave, keep yourself busy and try to find people with similar interests. Feeling lonely sucks and while this might sound corny, i can guarantee there's other people in your situation who don't have many friends or people to do cool things with somewhere near you.

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 25 posts ]