Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:42 pm  Post subject: Prometheus  
Zoe's #1 Fan
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX Blur: Racing: #2
  • SSX Blur: Overall: #3
PSN: PabloYeti
Went to see it today and it was really cool, not the all time best film ever but I did enjoy it and the visuals were fantastic.

From reviews, people either like it or hate it, the problem this film has is people think its going to be Alien and expect that style of movie, but actually it just takes place within the same story mythology and overlaps it slightly as a link but its entirely its own tale and future timeline.

Plot Spoiler
| Click to reveal hidden content
This film franchise is more about the Pilots race (the 1st alien found in the ships chair) from Alien, who they are and where they and us come from. Im sure there must be another story in the works as this doesent even take place on LV-426 which would have been a nice tie in had the PilotAlien been impregnated and crashed on LV-426 at the end - but thats just how I though it should have ended)

Anyone else seen it or going?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:11 pm  Post subject: Re: Prometheus  
My best friend force-fed me the entire Alien, Predator, and AvP series, so I'm probably going to get dragged to this as well. No complaints though, seems interesting.
Trailers annoying as hell though. It's like they're trying to give people seizures.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:46 pm  Post subject: Re: Prometheus  
Zoe's #1 Fan
to be fair - you only needed to watch ALIEN and thats only as a point of reference. This has nothing else to do with that side of the story.

Quote:
Trailers annoying as hell though. It's like they're trying to give people seizures.

Theres possibly more strobe in the trailer than the movie :lol

Hope you enjoy it :thumbsup

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:58 pm  Post subject: Re: Prometheus  
XBL: I am minne
PSN: I__AM__MINE
I can't WAIT!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:14 pm  Post subject: Re: Prometheus  
PSN: SSXfanatic
Can't remember if it's out in the US, but I do want to see it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:06 am  Post subject: Re: Prometheus  
Just got back from watching it, and overall I was really bored. It's very rare that I watch a movie and enjoy it though, so this didn't come as a huge surprise.
I have a few questions/things to discuss though:
Click to reveal hidden content: show
-How would the company that funded the trillion dollars make money off this expedition?
-Why do they insist on not wearing helmets, especially after finding their colleagues dead?
-Why weren't they more excited about making humanities first alien contact?
-Why wasn't the entire expedition a team of Davids? He's super old isn't he? Wouldn't they be getting good at making them (and by them I mean the perfect machine to go exploring alien dome-hangers with no threat of disobeying or becoming infected or starving or giving birth to an octopus)?
-Why is it a goddam octopus?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:10 am  Post subject: Re: Prometheus  
Zoe's #1 Fan
answers?

-How would the company that funded the trillion dollars make money off this expedition?
-It was funded because Weyland wanted to become immortal, or at lease extend his life through alien tech. He's dying so he blew the money on this.

-Why do they insist on not wearing helmets, especially after finding their colleagues dead?
-I think they thought they were already infected - so why bother...maybe

-Only the 2 doctors really know about it, they rest didnt want to be there once they found out.

-Why wasn't the entire expedition a team of Davids? He's super old isn't he? Wouldn't they be getting good at making them (and by them I mean the perfect machine to go exploring alien dome-hangers with no threat of disobeying or becoming infected or starving or giving birth to an octopus)?
-David was the first android created, there arnt anymore yet!
super old? if you mean Weyland hes in his 90's

-Why is it a goddam octopus
- :shrug thats what happens when you cross an early facehugger worm with human DNA but I think :shrug sums it up better?

maybe find out in the next 2 (so I hear)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:07 pm  Post subject: Re: Prometheus  
-It was funded because Weyland wanted to become immortal, or at lease extend his life through alien tech. He's dying so he blew the money on this.
-That makes a lot of sense, alright, but what about the girl who was leading it and wasn't aware he was on board until much later? What did she think they were going to do once they got there?

-I think they thought they were already infected - so why bother...maybe
-Eehhhhhh... one of them mentioned "maybe it's transmitted in the air" after everyone else took their helmets off, but then David said it was fine so they were like "well whatever". Besides, getting infected through the air seems like it'd be on the bottom of their list of concerns when dealing with....all of that stuff.

-Only the 2 doctors really know about it, they rest didnt want to be there once they found out.
-The first expedition in the dome-hanger had like 6 people right? And they all saw the decapitated alien and holograms right? I remember the first scene where they saw alien carvings on the walls and the first thing that was said was ~"hey I think this air's breathable!".

-David was the first android created, there arnt anymore yet!
super old? if you mean Weyland hes in his 90's
-Well by super-old I mean DAVID being old, and old enough where they have enough time to make more. Really though, making exact Davids wont be necessary. The point of his was that he would interact more realistically with humans...but whats the point if all they have to do is wake Weyland up and bring him in the dome?

-Why is it a goddam octopus
- :shrug thats what happens when you cross an early facehugger worm with human DNA but I think :shrug sums it up better?
-I suppose ;)

EDIT:
-The entirety of the six dots showing up in caves thing. How hard could it be to find six planets in that shape when you can spin, zoom, and rotate the planets around their sun, why would those six planets show up in cave paintings at all as they've never seen them, and why didn't they send a probe first and leave Weyland in cryo until it was all confirmed?
It all just seemed like:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:50 pm  Post subject: Re: Prometheus  
Zoe's #1 Fan
-That makes a lot of sense, alright, but what about the girl who was leading it and wasn't aware he was on board until much later? What did she think they were going to do once they got there?
-- Thats Weylands Daughter, she was there in a supervisory role, go, look whats there and report back.

-Eehhhhhh... one of them mentioned "maybe it's transmitted in the air" after everyone else took their helmets off, but then David said it was fine so they were like "well whatever". Besides, getting infected through the air seems like it'd be on the bottom of their list of concerns when dealing with....all of that stuff.
-- David was trying to get them infected to see what happens, he is using the crew as lab rats to find what Weyland is searching for. Thats why he spikes the scientists drink with the canister goop off his finger.

-The first expedition in the dome-hanger had like 6 people right? And they all saw the decapitated alien and holograms right? I remember the first scene where they saw alien carvings on the walls and the first thing that was said was ~"hey I think this air's breathable!".
-- David had studied language during the two year voyage to get there as it as theorised that as we are the decendants of the first that gave his life to create our DNA strands then all our languages were a split dialect of their own, so by learning everything, he could piece together a basic understanding of the Pilots scripts on the walls, he read the carvings and worked out that the water/rain within the dome with teh sunlght heating it released and created an oxygen environment so they could breather while within the domes, the silly boyfriend scientist was a bit of an smart-ass and took his helmet off to prove a point.

-Well by super-old I mean DAVID being old, and old enough where they have enough time to make more. Really though, making exact Davids wont be necessary. The point of his was that he would interact more realistically with humans...but whats the point if all they have to do is wake Weyland up and bring him in the dome?
-- David was built to look that age, I think hes based on a younger Weyland, where Bishop was based on his nephew. David acted on behalf of Weyland by using the helmet with the yellow glasses to communicate to keep him protected in the cryo-chamber, then when they found something significant they woke him up.

-I suppose ;)
-- I was expecting a queen alien myself, not an oversized facehugger pink squid thing.

-The entirety of the six dots showing up in caves thing. How hard could it be to find six planets in that shape when you can spin, zoom, and rotate the planets around their sun, why would those six planets show up in cave paintings at all as they've never seen them, and why didn't they send a probe first and leave Weyland in cryo until it was all confirmed?
-- The six dots are a constellation as seen by all the ancient tribes through out time in the sky. Also, some tribes draw a giant Pilot man in the drawings so they must have communicated with humans through the centuries, which comes back to our languages.
As for the probe? Who knows, we cant do them now, maybe they just give up in the future and go. You’d have thought the ship might have some weapons given how high tech it is, middle of space with no protection (asteroids). The captain seemed a bit eager to prove a point by ramming the ship. You’d follow it back and radio Earth and tell them to send a ship like the Sulaco to blow the attacking Alien ship up. But its a quick method of getting rid of 3 crew.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:48 pm  Post subject: Re: Prometheus  
I liked it and the ideas it explored.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:54 pm  Post subject: Re: Prometheus  
XBL: Dabusuteppu
It's a prequel to the Aliens movies.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:35 am  Post subject: Re: Prometheus  
Zoe's #1 Fan
It more of a prequel to the timeline of the alien story than actually of Alien

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:30 am  Post subject: Re: Prometheus  
XBL: joejakt
Can someone explain the start to me. I don't get why the alien killed himself or what the hell that ship going into the sky was.
I haven't seen the other Alien movies, is it something to do with that?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:30 pm  Post subject: Re: Prometheus  
I'm hearing so many conflicting opinions. I get that it's set in the same universe but doesn't focus on the aliens we know, but other than that I'm also hearing some people say "it's nothing like Alien" and others say "it's basically Alien again, but with a new alien... and not as good".

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:33 pm  Post subject: Re: Prometheus  
there's some oddities with the pacing and sometimes the characters will act like total fuckwits and do stuff no normal person would ever do but aside from that it's an enjoyable sci-fi flick that happens to set up "Alien".

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:14 am  Post subject: Re: Prometheus  
Zoe's #1 Fan
jjakt wrote:
Can someone explain the start to me. I don't get why the alien killed himself or what the hell that ship going into the sky was.
I haven't seen the other Alien movies, is it something to do with that?

jjakt - The intro is just the story for this movie
The first Pilot alien was on early Earth, he drinks the 'stuff' and his DNA breaks apart and mixes with our elements to create the beginnings of Man as you see the DNA reform into our beginnings. The ship dropped him off.

Midian - story setup, and spoiler if you havent seen it - at least how I see the movie story.
This is a prequel story about the Pilot race of aliens first seen by Ripley in the big chair, not the Alien its self. The Pilot race creates man but also later creates a bio weapon to destroy us (the Alien) which is what the story is about. So there is a cross over as we see the genesis of the face hugger and first alien but the focus of the story is the Pilot Race. I can only pesume there will be a sequel or two to explain how they get to LV426 where Rilpeys story starts as this films ending doesnt fit in with 'Alien', at least not yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:10 pm  Post subject: Re: Prometheus  
XBL: joejakt
Thanks Yeti! :D

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ]