Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:53 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:35 pm  Post subject: SSX Tricky is Immortal!  
When I got SSX3 i was just a bit dissapointed, sure I love the whole rpg/gta feel, but I don't think there is that much substance to back that up.

So, For my 200th post, I decided to make a topic professing my undying love for tricky.

Tricky was there very first game I got the Christmas two years ago when I bought this game and I still play this game more than any of my other games!

The way this topic is, you say something you liked in SSX or Tricky that they ruined in SSX3.

Tricky Courses - would you like 10 slopstyle courses with 3 halfpipe courses sprinkled through the ten courses (which also took many elements of big air), 9 races lasting over 4 minutes on average. Substance is what Tricky was all about!

SSX3 courses - 3 slopstyle, 3 halfpipe, three big air... 5 races that as good as they are last about 2:30 seconds each!

I think many people think the way I do,,, (or maybe i'm just crazy) but I still think this topic will help revive the Original Recipe board... hoyea

btw gondee, i'm still waiting for a response on the name change :china

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:56 pm  Post subject:   
p0rn Star
PSN: YoshiExcel
bl00dy, you took the words right out of my mouth!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:20 pm  Post subject:   
YoshiXL wrote
Quote:
B100dy, you took the words right out of myu mouth.

If he took those words out of your mouth, how much words do you still have?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:32 pm  Post subject:   
:??? say what?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:05 pm  Post subject:   
b100dy said
Quote:
Say what?

So you don't like my jokes, b100dy?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:18 pm  Post subject:   
Starving Artist
Although I LOVE ssx 3, Tricky is still my favorite as well. :china

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:22 pm  Post subject:   
I miss Tricky :cry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:49 pm  Post subject:   
What happened to the whole

1. Say something you loved in SSX or Tricky.
2. Say how they ruined it or left it out in SSX3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:19 pm  Post subject:   
well i like ssx 3 better, better because of all the new options and courses and such, but i do miss being able to just play mindlessly the way i could with tricky, although in time i hope it will be the same with ssx3, just a question of being able to do all the moves anf shit without even thinking about it, you just do em'(like i could in tricky)

i do have one major gripe about SSX3- They hyped up the whole go anywhere thing, like u could just go anywhere on the Mt. (ANYWHERE)this is so not the case, there are way to many out of bounds or off limits(or whatever the hell that shit that pops up is). sometimes there will be a mound or something and it looks like a jump but when u take it you just go off limits. thats bunk.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:37 am  Post subject:   
Hail Tricky!!! :cheers

Boo SSX 3!!! :sad

Hail numerous records in both!!! :cheers

PD~

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:29 pm  Post subject:   
PD~ wrote:
Hail Tricky!!! :cheers

Boo SSX 3!!! :sad

Hail numerous records in both!!! :cheers

I agree! Except for the 'numerous records' part, I don't have any good records in SSX3, but many in Tricky :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:56 pm  Post subject:   
XBL: tk9077
PSN: tk102
Personally, they ruined the whole racing system. Whenever I race on Tricky, I usually have alot of fun. But if I race on SSX 3, it's not fun at all. Just boring. You don't even have to try half as hard in SSX 3 races and you'll still come out in first, and that's with the "Super AI" mode on single event. Plus the courses aren't all that different. There's many similarities between one another and they can take around 3 minutes each to beat. What happened to the six minutes of Elysium Alps?

EA has also ruined the characters. There's no character interactions at all. I feel that I don't have a very good complete understanding on Allegra's, Nate's, Griff's, and Viggo's personality cause there's nothing in SSX 3 that portrays them other than a few quotes they say during the race. What happened to the so called "intense rivalries"? There's none at all! SSX Tricky was very popular due to the lifeness of the actual characters. SSX 3 characters aren't all that lifelike, although they could have been.

I remembered saying a few months ago, "SSX 3 shouldn't have a create-a-boarder feature because those characters would be blank slates and won't have any of the cool stuff the original characters have like voices, personality, etc." With the addition of cheat character skins and the lack of character interactions, every character is in a way, a blank slate.

So, in short, the two key elements in SSX Tricky that I loved were the fun, intense races and the cool cast of charcters with distinct personalities. EA has screwed SSX 3 on both of these elements, so I can rarely have any fun with SSX 3. It was fun at first, but then you realize, playing SSX 3 is a chore. Even if you want to go for high scores, you don't really have the motivation you used to have when playing Tricky. My only hope is EA really works on SSX 4, making it much more fun and with loads of character interactions.

It's very sad to say that I'm going to be aiming low when SSX 4 comes out. That way, if it's not so good, then I won't be so disappointed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:18 pm  Post subject:   
agreed! ^ ^ ^

Maybe we should start like a compain...
HOW BOUT... A Petition for ONLINE TRICKY! With a more THPS4 type online implementation... Along with the origial tracks! (I'm a genius)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:04 pm  Post subject:   
No matter how many problems you can come up with in your mind about Tricky being better, just remember how it completely ruined races with all the glitches it had. SSX 3 has only one course with a glitch, and Tricky had all BUT one course that didn't have a glitch.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:39 pm  Post subject:   
Vivi, couldn't have said it ANY better, hell yeah. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:37 am  Post subject:   
Vivi FF wrote:
There's many similarities between one another and they can take around 3 minutes each to beat. What happened to the six minutes of Elysium Alps?

if ur complaning about how short the races r what about the peak races? peak 1 takes about 11 min for me to finish :heh :wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:13 pm  Post subject:   
Peak races aren't really races. They're more like a time trial cause you really don't race against one, just beat a specific time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:14 pm  Post subject:   
Yes, Vivi is on a roll here, with many good observations and conclusions. :yes :cheers

I personally think Tricky had fewer design/ coding flaws than SSX 3 has, many being in smaller things and "Big Challenges". On a broader scale Tricky is by far a better thought through product, although SSX 3 is a big step towards a potentially Great future. In my eyes EA made some crucial mistakes, which I hope they are flexible enough to correct (I have some doubts).

To me, most important is that EA should regain "the Arcade feel" of Tricky, but maybe to a lesser extent, or with (some) user control. To this end the option of listening to a comentator should return, preferably including an over-the-top character like Rahzel. The characters should be over-the-top too, now they're mostly dull.

Maybe include some indoor events, have brighter colours, combo's - but not endless combo's (i HATE that in THUG), peak races that are completely back-country, ventilators, variable weather, real ice-patches (like Tricky had), more sense of freedom (far fewer 'Out of Limits'), longer tracks, less crowded rails, clearer race tracks (alternative routes), less artificial pushing (Gravitude, rails), loose the seperate recover button (and do it more naturally with steering), more competitors (6?) during online racing, etc...

Variable weather could make it impossible to compare records on events, so some thought needs to be put into that.

I like having (well placed) 'Snowflakes' that help you discover alternative routes and such, but (for me) just as an extra.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:16 pm  Post subject:   
The main reason I bought Tricky in the first place was because of all the different characters mainly, along with the actual snowboarding part of it. SSX 3 is too serious- it's not enough fun. And Viggo is such a loser!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:18 pm  Post subject:   
hello desperado wrote:
And Viggo is such a loser!

true

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:27 pm  Post subject:   
Actually I really only have one gripe in tricky...

How JP turned into Vanilla Ice! He was reaaally cool in SSX

And now his bright red costumes make him look kinda... flamboyant lol

But that's it

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:37 pm  Post subject:   
xXDoyleXx wrote:
Actually I really only have one gripe in tricky...

How JP turned into Vanilla Ice! He was reaaally cool in SSX

And now his bright red costumes make him look kinda... flamboyant lol

But that's it

I love JP the same in both, but in Tricky what was odd is that he seemed to be a little younger? Even though it said he was 25 in both, he seemed just a little younger in Tricky. Maybe that's just me though. Were him & Seeiah the oldest in Tricky?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:19 pm  Post subject:   
hello desperado wrote:
I love JP the same in both, but in Tricky what was odd is that he seemed to be a little younger? Even though it said he was 25 in both, he seemed just a little younger in Tricky.

Was JP really 25 in both games? That's weird, but maybe JP has a winter birthday (EA should give the characters birth dates). I don't have the first SSX so I can't compare the JP's

Quote:
Were him & Seeiah the oldest in Tricky?

Brodi was, I think, 29. Then came Seeiah and JP, I think.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:26 pm  Post subject:   
Yep, JP was 25 in both! Haha, maybe he does have a winter birthday. That'd explain it. Brodi was the oldest, that makes sense. I always thought Luther would be, but then I found out he was only 24! And I was surprised that Seeiah was 25 too because she's such a crazy bitch!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:38 am  Post subject:   
tricky was awesome - i dont think they should have getten rid of marisol (cuz she would have some good outfits...) or Luther, cuz he was awesome.

or JP cuz he was awesome 2

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 4 [ 79 posts ]  1, 2, 3, 4