Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:48 am  Post subject: Sport  
PSN: MistressWiggle
Ok guys not sure whether this thread has been done over the years but we have new members now and a collection of old ones returning so I propose a sport thread. What are your favorites? For me there are two, the first for me has to be Formula 1.

I realize a lot of people will loosely call it a "sport" however I love it. I realize it's a rich sport and not really American at all and it's full of cheating and politics (here's looking at you Ferrari) but essentially watching it for me is still exciting; it went through a shitty stage of boringness but I feel it's slowly coming back as exciting (as long as the man with the stupid haircut keeps his sprinkler idea to himself) It's sadistic but I love the thrill of the crashes, I find Qualifying much more exciing than the actual race, and I think now there's a lot more organisation and strategy needed to win a race rather than the best car.

I freely admit i'm very much a red bull girl, Christian Horner is a genius. But I think some of the racers in the lower positions are so talented. I miss Kubica this season, Nico Rosberg needs a better car and I'm so glad Maclaren are doing crap this season.

The second sport, which at the moment is full of more political bullshit than F1 is football. I'm a Chelsea supporter and I could go into the ins and outs of Abramovich but it may be best not too. As for the sport itself I felt it's being damaged by FIFA (Fucking Incompetent Fat Asshole) especially Latter and I'm angry that only England, Germany and to an extent Scotland are calling them out on it. Like England I think the US should be a lot more pissed off than they are, since they too lost money on a bid which was so obviously undermined by FIFA.

On a purely English note, I can't speak the same for other countries; English footballers need to grow up, get paid less, and stop being allowed Injunctions to cover up their ridiculous antics because they can't kept their cocks in their shorts. (Gigs, Rooney and Terry) The England football team definitely need a bloody kick up the arse.

I'm also a lot into the Bundesliga and their youth teams and football training is exceptional. Were unlucky to lose against Spain and their third/fourth place match against Uraguay was better than the Final. I wish Forlan had scored from the free kick in the last minute because I would have loved another half hour of play. They definitely have got an excellent chance at winning Europe next year! I think Joakim Löw is the best coach in football right now.

But what about you guys? I know American football and Baseball are huge and I have a couple of friends that love American Football, I had the luxury of watching the superbowl with them (not that I understood any of it) and wouldn't mind learning a bit more, although I can't promise I'll get hooked on it since I'm a fan of Rugby as well.

All sports are welcome, obviously wimbeldon starts soon (kill :heh). But there are other tounaments and things going on as well, the olympic, moto GP etc. So what are your thoughts?

Last edited by NA on Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:13 am  Post subject: Re: Sport  
PSN: crispncrunchy
NA wrote:
it went through a shitty stage of boringness but I feel it's slowly coming back as exiting

Gotta be the best typo I've seen all year... :heh

Basically I agree with your thoughts on F1, I like the sport despite it being boring sometimes. And being an Aussie I have to go for Red Bull too.

Football (soccer)... ummm don't get me going on it... while it is THE global game, has simple and elegant rules.. it is played by a bunch of pansies. Soccer player should be forced to watch AFL where they will see real men who only stay down when they are really hurt. Plus the refusal to employ technology to help referee decisions.

My favourite sport is tainted by controversy - cycling. Tour de France next month yipee.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:25 am  Post subject: Re: Sport  
crispncrunchy wrote:
NA wrote:
it went through a shitty stage of boringness but I feel it's slowly coming back as exiting

Gotta be the best typo I've seen all year... :heh

Basically I agree with your thoughts on F1, I like the sport despite it being boring sometimes. And being an Aussie I have to go for Red Bull too.

Football (soccer)... ummm don't get me going on it... while it is THE global game, has simple and elegant rules.. it is played by a bunch of pansies. Soccer player should be forced to watch AFL where they will see real men who only stay down when they are really hurt. Plus the refusal to employ technology to help referee decisions.

My favourite sport is tainted by controversy - cycling. Tour de France next month yipee.

Oh lawl, I have a new motorola xoom and the keyboard is good but occasionally that happens :heh

Feeling a bit sorry for Webber this season, but I do believe Christian is telling the truth when he says they give both drivers equal chance and if I'm honest Vettel was bloody lucky last year, it should have been Marks win.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:52 am  Post subject: Re: Sport  
XBL: WAffle3690
I like soccer. i played varsity all four years of highschool. althought our team kinda sucked by senior year.

i like volleyball in my spare time. mostly beach volleyball. i might sound like a wussy but falling on sand is nicer then rocks in the grass haha

and i used to do cheerleading for seven years. and i KNOW alot of people disagree that cheerleading is a sport. and those people are half right. the squads that only cheer for the higschool football or basketball teams; then yes cheering is not a sport at that point. but my squad cheered for the township football team on weekends but we mostly trained for county and state compitition. i have about 15 trophies from compititions over the years. so i consider this half of cheerleading to be a competing sport.

if this is what the topic ment lol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:08 am  Post subject: Re: Sport  
A Sick One With A Smile wrote:
I like soccer. i played varsity all four years of highschool. althought our team kinda sucked by senior year.

i like volleyball in my spare time. mostly beach volleyball. i might sound like a wussy but falling on sand is nicer then rocks in the grass haha

and i used to do cheerleading for seven years. and i KNOW alot of people disagree that cheerleading is a sport. and those people are half right. the squads that only cheer for the higschool football or basketball teams; then yes cheering is not a sport at that point. but my squad cheered for the township football team on weekends but we mostly trained for county and state compitition. i have about 15 trophies from compititions over the years. so i consider this half of cheerleading to be a competing sport.

if this is what the topic ment lol

I disagree, I really do think Cheerleading is a sport, but NOT cheering on Basketball and American footballers. When it's done competitively in competition it's AMAZING to watch, they're almost as good as Gymnasts, maybe more so since it takes so much coordination to pull some of those moves off. I think it's undermined a lot by bimbos in movies and the whole concept of having Ass Candy at a sports match, it's unneccasary. If it was done purely as a sport in competition I think it would be taken a lot more seriously.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:05 pm  Post subject: Re: Sport  
SSX: Racing: #1
Clayman
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX: Racing: #1
  • SSX: Overall: #2
Formula 1 of the late 80s and 90s was bar none one of the most exhilarating and intense forms of race or entertainment I've ever seen. Nowadays NA, if you know how the cars work and their specs, it's much less so. Senna pulling a full on powerslide in Monaco marked the highlight for Formula 1.

Now the engineers are doing just as much racing as the drivers. While each year they set in a new rule on some component to dumb it down.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:54 pm  Post subject: Re: Sport  
SSX On Tour: Racing: #1
Scoreboard Honors: 4
  • SSX On Tour: Racing: #1
  • SSX 3: Overall: #2
  • SSX 3: Racing: #3
  • SSX On Tour: Overall: #3
I enjoy mostly all sports but basketball, bodybuilding and football are my favorites and in that order.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:20 pm  Post subject: Re: Sport  
Hi IceXtreme:

My favorite sports / activities are softball and turning standing back tucks on soft surfaces (i.e., sand). I can hit a softball 330+ feet, and am gradually learning how to perform my back tucks without throwing my head back.

However, at 204 lbs., I am attrocious at any sport / activity that requires a great degree of finesse, such as table tennis.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:34 am  Post subject: Re: Sport  
Clayman
IceXtreme wrote:
I enjoy mostly all sports but basketball, bodybuilding and football are my favorites and in that order.

Is this finally Heath's year? Or are they gonna scam him again?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:34 am  Post subject: Re: Sport  
SSX On Tour: Racing: #1
Scoreboard Honors: 4
  • SSX On Tour: Racing: #1
  • SSX 3: Overall: #2
  • SSX 3: Racing: #3
  • SSX On Tour: Overall: #3
alpmaster wrote:
IceXtreme wrote:

I feel bad for him. So many times the judges go away from scoring the way they're supposed to. It's Muscularity, presentation, and symmetry... unfortunately if they all are very lean and not holding much water - presentation and symmetry get underminded. The fact that Jay is so huge the judges will always look at him, even though his physique is not as aesthetically pleasing as Phil's.

Speaking of, I competed in the SNBF Emerald Coast Championships yesterday. I won my class to advance into the overall's and got second to lose by 1 point to a mass monster that couldn't pose for nothing, didn't have the symmetry that I have but was just bigger. I highly doubt the guy was natural... everyone was telling me there was no way he was. Anyway, I love the sport but just wish it were judged more consistantly, why have rules if you don't follow them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:01 am  Post subject: Re: Sport  
Hi IceXtreme:

Congratulations on your accomplishments in the SNBF Emerald Coast Championships.

I couldn't imagine being a bodybuilder. I run hard on my treadmill whenever I can, but have quite a difficult time abstaining from those tasty Big Mac sandwiches.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:48 am  Post subject: Re: Sport  
alpmaster wrote:
Formula 1 of the late 80s and 90s was bar none one of the most exhilarating and intense forms of race or entertainment I've ever seen. Nowadays NA, if you know how the cars work and their specs, it's much less so. Senna pulling a full on powerslide in Monaco marked the highlight for Formula 1.

Now the engineers are doing just as much racing as the drivers. While each year they set in a new rule on some component to dumb it down.

I dunno Alp, don't get me wrong... Senna, Jackie Stewart, Mansell, constantly put their lives on the line more so back then than now.. but; I du no if you saw Monaco last week but Maclaren and Red Bull almost lost out to Ferrari with their monumentous cock up in the pit lanes, neither being ready for their drivers. I think that the guys in the pit lane; after watching documentries provided by the BBC are much a part of the team in a good way as the drivers. Many F1 drivers (Schumacher, Webber, Button, Barrichello) have publically agreed.

As for dumbing it down, that would be Mr. Eccelstone trying stupid ideas, but also partly to the FIA as well, if you're watching Montreal now the race has been red flagged for the past hour, too much rain... but this is due to several health and safety rules and Button and Vettel came on radio to say it was undrivable, but luckily they have taken away the two hour time limit and stopped the clock however back in the day they would have continued racing but I would take an hour stop rather than danger to the driver. They're talking to Di Resta now and he's saying the race is far too dangerous to continue.

Some of the new rules are stupid but some have actually added to the racing, others not so much. I don't agree with the no refuelling but I do agree with the stopping of the race etc. As I said though, I fully understand why people aren't interested in it anymore. If people think it's a conga line behind a german than that's fair enough as Jake Humpherys said earlier: "We all know what happens in qualifying, 24 men go out for an hour and in the end Sebastian Vettel is fastest." - I laughed but essentially him being right is a reason why people get bored of it. So I understand your views but I enjoy it still nevertheless. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:51 am  Post subject: Re: Sport  
PSN: crispncrunchy
NA wrote:
Feeling a bit sorry for Webber this season, but I do believe Christian is telling the truth when he says they give both drivers equal chance and if I'm honest Vettel was bloody lucky last year, it should have been Marks win.

Much as I have followed Webber over the years, he really stuffed it last season when he went off in the rain at China. Vettel improved his consistency all season. Vettel has always had that little edge in time, being young he pushes the envelope. This year Vettel is the complete package. I think last year was Webber's best chance to grab a championship, sadly now it's gone.

Much the same story for Cadel Evans in Le Tour, the 2 years he finished second were the best chances he had. But there are some great young Aussie riders coming through who can win a Tour. BTW - One of the best current British riders Bradley Wiggins just won one of the main lead-up races for Le Tour the Critérium du Dauphiné so maybe he can get a podium finish this year.

alpmaster wrote:
Formula 1 of the late 80s and 90s was bar none one of the most exhilarating and intense forms of race or entertainment I've ever seen.

Have to agree those Senna, Piquet & Mansell duels were great and got me into F1.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:11 pm  Post subject: Re: Sport  
Clayman
NA wrote:
alpmaster wrote:

I dunno Alp, don't get me wrong... Senna, Jackie Stewart, Mansell, constantly put their lives on the line more so back then than now.. but; I du no if you saw Monaco last week but Maclaren and Red Bull almost lost out to Ferrari with their monumentous cock up in the pit lanes, neither being ready for their drivers. I think that the guys in the pit lane; after watching documentries provided by the BBC are much a part of the team in a good way as the drivers. Many F1 drivers (Schumacher, Webber, Button, Barrichello) have publically agreed.

As for dumbing it down, that would be Mr. Eccelstone trying stupid ideas, but also partly to the FIA as well, if you're watching Montreal now the race has been red flagged for the past hour, too much rain... but this is due to several health and safety rules and Button and Vettel came on radio to say it was undrivable, but luckily they have taken away the two hour time limit and stopped the clock however back in the day they would have continued racing but I would take an hour stop rather than danger to the driver. They're talking to Di Resta now and he's saying the race is far too dangerous to continue.

Some of the new rules are stupid but some have actually added to the racing, others not so much. I don't agree with the no refuelling but I do agree with the stopping of the race etc. As I said though, I fully understand why people aren't interested in it anymore. If people think it's a conga line behind a german than that's fair enough as Jake Humpherys said earlier: "We all know what happens in qualifying, 24 men go out for an hour and in the end Sebastian Vettel is fastest." - I laughed but essentially him being right is a reason why people get bored of it. So I understand your views but I enjoy it still nevertheless. :)

I'm talking about how when the cars had a lot more this:

And a lot less this:

Observe:

Ugh, I could fucking watch Senna all day.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:21 pm  Post subject: Re: Sport  
Senna was a genius, and I did get what you mean, I guess my post trailed off sorry about that :heh on a side note Montreal today has been a complete disaster. :heh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:41 pm  Post subject: Re: Sport  
They referred to it as "the 24 hours of montreal" :heh

Anyways, I'll have more to say in this topic later but for now I'm off, I'm sure you're all waiting with bated breath. :P

Sarah and Joanne are wrong- this stays in here until it's proven.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:43 pm  Post subject: Re: Sport  
MESS wrote:
They referred to it as "the 24 hours of montreal" :heh

Anyways, I'll have more to say in this topic later but for now I'm off, I'm sure you're all waiting with bated breath. :P

5 hours I stayed watching the tv for 5 hours to watch Vettel fuck it right up at the end. Needless to say i'm not pleased. Otherwise best Grant Prix in ages.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:07 pm  Post subject: Re: Sport  
Clayman
IceXtreme wrote:
alpmaster wrote:
IceXtreme wrote:

I feel bad for him. So many times the judges go away from scoring the way they're supposed to. It's Muscularity, presentation, and symmetry... unfortunately if they all are very lean and not holding much water - presentation and symmetry get underminded. The fact that Jay is so huge the judges will always look at him, even though his physique is not as aesthetically pleasing as Phil's.

Speaking of, I competed in the SNBF Emerald Coast Championships yesterday. I won my class to advance into the overall's and got second to lose by 1 point to a mass monster that couldn't pose for nothing, didn't have the symmetry that I have but was just bigger. I highly doubt the guy was natural... everyone was telling me there was no way he was. Anyway, I love the sport but just wish it were judged more consistantly, why have rules if you don't follow them.

Good shit dude, congrats.

I went to the NY Pro a couple of weeks ago. Seeing Kai in contest mode is un-fucking-real. I saw him and Kevin English a couple weeks after last years Olympia but in full-on mode its just crazy, he looks like the sucessor to the human race. Although yes, his midsection is a goddamn monstrosity and don't think he looks like a Mr. O like Heath, but for overall freak factor, he's on another level.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:01 pm  Post subject: Re: Sport  
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
Nascar, baseball, and American football for me.

Don't really care for basketball or hockey.

Oh yeah and i love the extreme sports, x-games, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:12 pm  Post subject: Re: Sport  
I actually snowboard in real life...never pulled anything advanced. My best would have to be a 360 Iguana.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:18 pm  Post subject: Re: Sport  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
I used to play basketball. As far as watching, I like basketball and American football.

Even though geographically I grew up more Southern than vix, I can't watch NASCAR. :no :lol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:20 pm  Post subject: Re: Sport  
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
Jersey girl is a closet southerner apparently. :lol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:43 am  Post subject: Re: Sport  
PSN: Kubi-ssx
I absolutely love skiing. I go every year.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:41 pm  Post subject: Re: Sport  
XBL: WAffle3690
vix wrote:
Jersey girl is a closet southerner apparently. :lol

especially when xtu comes around every year to camden at the tweeter center. 12 parking lots full of tailgating jersey rednecks haha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:34 am  Post subject: Re: Sport  
PSN: sparkness08
crispncrunchy wrote:
it is played by a bunch of pansies. Soccer player should be forced to watch AFL where they will see real men who only stay down when they are really hurt. Plus the refusal to employ technology to help referee decisions.

Interesting view, but to compare soccer (a relatively non-contact sport) to American Football in that way is a bit of a leap.

Don't know if you've ever followed Rugby Union or Rugby League?, but if we're talking about 'real men' (as much as I hate the 'macho' distinctions) then Rugby epitomises it in a nutshell.

NA, suggest starting threads devoted to single sports to avoid having to read through a potentialy bloated single page? Just a suggestion...

Thoughts on Torres then? £50 Million... good Moneyball signing or not?

Sparks

https://ssx.ozmonet.com/user/275926760

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 4 [ 92 posts ]  1, 2, 3, 4