Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:04 pm  Post subject: Re: The meaning of life  
Hi Lord Elevation:

As an undergraduate student, one of my professors told my class never to use the word "feel" in our term papers. He justified his statement on the grounds that, while one can argue over how another thinks about a specific issue, he or she cannot debate a person over how that individual feels abot a particular problem. In other words, thought is rational, and can be debated. Emotions, on the other hand, give rise to following attitude: this is how I feel about a certain event, and it will never change.

Arising at a consensus over religious beliefs proves difficult, simply because religion privileges emotion over rational thought. For instance, in Noah's Day, many of his peers ridiculed him for predicting a worldwide flood. This is because these individuals allowed their rational thoughts to get in the way of conceiving that a flood on a global scale was remotely possible. Noah, on the other hand, did not let rational thought get in the way of how he FELT about listening to God's warnings. Specifically, Noah's EMOTIONS told him that what God says will always come to pass.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:32 pm  Post subject: Re: The meaning of life  
I could explain to you the scientific reality of Noah's flood. How a comet crashed into the Indian Ocean over 5000 years ago and caused worldwide torrential rain along with a giant tsunami that inundated the Middle East and washed things away... I could also explain to you how similar stories of the end of the world in all of our religions and mythologies have similar historical events associated with them.

I could tell you how the various words used to describe Satan or a devil or a fallen angel all have an etymological history that describes stars falling from the heavens. Or how some of the enigmatic symbols in Revelation are star maps of time and space, describing Earth's encounters with the heavens.

Civilization has been repeatedly erased and wiped clean over the ages. The last global-scale event happened around 12,000 years ago, and it pulled Earth out of an ice age in the largest extinction event in 2 million years. If an impact event of equal scale happened today, it would wipe out the modern world.

Go into your King James Bible and read Genesis. God tells Adam and Eve to go and "replenish the Earth."

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:08 pm  Post subject: Re: The meaning of life  
Hi Lord Elevation:

1. If what you are saying is true, then why have scientists found what might be Noah's Ark? Possibly, this is because the great flood, which is described by the Bible, actually transpired.

2. God commanded Adam and Eve to "replenish the Earth." However, when He gave these commands, the Edenic duo were still in a prelapsarian state. Hence, at this point, the Edenic couple could only spead goodness across the Earth. However, after sinning against God, Adam and Eve became wicked in the eyes of their Creator. At this juncture, anything deriving from the Edenic pair would be stained with vice. Thus, Adam and Eve did spread something across the Earth, but it was sin, rather than virtuosity.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:23 am  Post subject: Re: The meaning of life  
Gravitude MVP
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX 3: Showoff: #3
This god of yours sounds like a truly wicked assclown.

Disregard the old covenant (Old Testament) and follow the teachings of Jesus Christ as described in the new covenant. Those teachings are what makes you a good person in the eyes of God and your fellow human beings, not the superstitious, mythological bullshit in the Judaic Old Testament. I hope you will consider these words come May 22nd.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:17 am  Post subject: Re: The meaning of life  
Hi RE Virus, and All Other Who Participated in this Particular Thread:

I feel that May 21, 2011 is both the Day of the Rapture and the first Day of Judgment. I believe that all the verses in the King James Bible show that Harold Camping's predictions about May 21, 2011 are accurate. Nevertheless, I believe that I have expressed the aforementioned viewpoint repeatedly. Everyone reading this thread is cognizant of my religious convictions. If I rehash my religious views anymore, they will come across to other posters as boring and redundant. Hence, this will be my final post on this given thread.

I hope people all over the world might be saved prior to May 21, 2011.

As Harold Camping says at the end of every Open Forum broadcast, "May the Lord richly bless you."

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:37 am  Post subject: Re: The meaning of life  
Have fun in the afterlife, QP!

Maybe the angels can teach you to read.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:22 pm  Post subject: Re: The meaning of life  
Gravitude MVP
Yes, learn to read what others actually write, rather than responding to what you wish they had written. Nobody has asked you to rehash your religious views; quite the contrary, you should stop repeating yourself over and over and address the actual arguments.

I do look forward to what you will say on the 22nd, though.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:52 pm  Post subject: Re: The meaning of life  
Hi Lord Elevation:

I do read. In fact, I hold a M.A. in English. In order to achieve that level of proficiency, I had to be cognizant of a variety of historical and philosophical views surrounding numerous texts. Most of the time, I would try to interpret original authorship on my own prior to reading critical opinions on them. I did this for fear that looking at secondary sources first would influence the manner in which I explicated a particular novel, play, or poem. Peeking at criticism of a text first might also put thoughts in my head about which critical theorists are most appropriate for applying to a given piece.

Therefore, many of the first drafts of my college term papers were close readings. If I believed that certain critical methods enrich a reading of a text, I worked it into my analysis. After that, I would "hit" the computer and the library, searching for critics to debate.

Nevertheless, I never thought that reading was something which I had to do just to ascertain my college degrees. I read for pleasure, too. I am extremely interested in fourfold allegory, so, in my spare time, I have searched the internet and Questia for information relating to this subject. I also have read parts of Stephen Hawking's Brief History of Time and Jim Al-Khalili's Black Holes, Worm Holes, and Time Machines, especially the chapters of Hawking's and Al-Khalili's books which describe black holes in detail. Although my interest in statistics is casual, I thoroughly enjoy reading about topics and statistics which are germane to the game of baseball. This is why, every now and then, I will read a Baseball Digest article and peruse through their statistical sections. National Geographic, too, is inundated with superbly written artcles. In fact, not too long ago, I read an article on oceanic blue holes, and was fascinated by it.

I am extremely open-minded when it comes to discussing many topics. While I might disagree with posters, I always attempt to understand "where they are coming from."

However, I am very closed-minded when it comes to debating topics concerning religion. I agree with Harold Camping that the entire Bible is the Word of God. As Camping points out, Rev. 22:18 forbids following the commands of the Bible in addition to other prophecies that one might receive in the form of dreams or visions. Likewise, as Camping notes, Rev. 22:19 does not permit one to disregard the laws of the Old or New Testament. Whenever the topic of faith "comes into play," problems arise, because the devout adherent to a particular religion is labeled either as stubborn or ignorant. I also find the theory of evolution distateful, and vehemently disagree with any philosophies which advance atheism or agnosticism. Please note, though, that when I attack a religious philosophy, I am never attacking the person who holds it sacrosanct. Rather, I am opposing convictions which I feel to be invalid. Since religion is based on emotion, rather than rationality, it is extremely difficult to "make sense" of religious-based topics.

I appreciate your responses to my posts, though.

Now, I will answer RE Virus' question: are the Old and New Testament God different? My answer is no. While it is true that, in the Old Testament, God impugns people for misdeeds more than in the New Testament, he saved Noah, spared the Ninevites from destruction, and allowed Hezekiah to live longer than he should have. In the New Testament, there are a plethora of books that illustrate God's mercy for humanity. Yet, in Revelations, as Camping explains, God annihilates the unsaved on Judgment Day. According to Camping, Judgment Day will occur on May 21, 2011.

I posted again just to "clarify a few things."

I will now depart from this conversation.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:37 pm  Post subject: Re: The meaning of life  
Gravitude MVP
Me me me me me me me. Meeeeee, I'm a Perfect Quotidian. And you probably don't even know what Quotidian means. That's how Perfect I am.

I don't think God values narcissism very positively. Just sayin'.

QuotidianPerfection wrote:
While it is true that, in the Old Testament, God impugns people for misdeeds more than in the New Testament

No shit, page after page he castigates, kills, destroys everyone and everything for the flimsiest of reasons!

Quote:
he saved Noah, spared the Ninevites from destruction, and allowed Hezekiah to live longer than he should have.

That's like walking into a public place with an automatic rifle and shooting everyone except a few. Then 5000 years later someone says you were merciful and benevolent.

Quote:
In the New Testament, there are a plethora of books that illustrate God's mercy for humanity.

Indeed, but more broadly the New Testament God is the opposite of the Old Testament God.

Quote:
Yet, in Revelations, as Camping explains, God annihilates the unsaved on Judgment Day. According to Camping, Judgment Day will occur on May 21, 2011.

If Camping is wrong, and he is wrong, will you believe his next prediction? Say, if he says that Judgment Day is really on December 21st, 2012, will you believe him?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:35 pm  Post subject: Re: The meaning of life  
Hi RE Virus:

1. The word "quotidian" means "daily." My user name is symbolic of a person who seeks daily perfection in life, even though perfection is impossible to achieve on Earth. This is because all humans, by nature, are predisposed towards sinning.

2. I agree with you that, in the Old Testament, God is far more austere than in the New Testament. However, one must remember that, in the Old Testament, as Harold Camping points out, God is trying to demonstrate that, in order to be righteous under the Law, a person can never sin. Camping also notes that the death and destruction which transpires in the Old Testament is an illustration of God's wrath upon transgressors. This is why, as Camping explains, we need a Savior that will serve as "a substitute" for sinners. When Christ was crucified, as Camping suggests, Christ took the place of every person He would save, and God took His anger out on Him. Since Christ never sinned, He was able to overcome death, and rise from the dead, thereby allowing every person whom He chose to escape Judgment Day on May 21, 2011. Instead, this small trace of believers will be raptured on May 21, 2011.

3. I apologize if I sound stubborn, but I am one-hundred percent positive that May 21, 2011 is the Day of the Rapture and the first Day of Judgment.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:06 pm  Post subject: Re: The meaning of life  
PSN: sparkness08
Hi RE Virus:
3. I apologize if I sound stubborn, but I am one-hundred percent positive that May 21, 2011 is the Day of the Rapture and the first Day of Judgment.

QP, that's not what Virus is asking and I'd be interested to hear aswell.

https://ssx.ozmonet.com/user/275926760

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:34 pm  Post subject: Re: The meaning of life  
Hi sparks:

I am afraid that we have "run into a roadblock" here. Like Harold Camping, I believe that admitting that neither the Rapture nor Judgment Day will occur on May 21, 2011 will be tantamount to challenging the Bible--the Word of God--which illustrates, when carefully studied, that the aforementioned events will transpire on May 21, 2011. I thank other Merqury City members for allowing me to share my perspective on "the meaning of the life," and will now exit this discussion so that others can express their viewpoints on this given subject.

Last edited by QuotidianPerfection on Wed May 18, 2011 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:22 pm  Post subject: Re: The meaning of life  
PSN: sparkness08
Hi sparks:

I am afraid that we have "run into a roadblock" here. Like Harold Camping, I believe that admitting that neither the Rapture nor Judgment Day will occur on May 21, 2011 will be tantamount to challenging the Bible--the Word of God--which illustrates, when carefully studied, that the aforementioned events will transpire on May 21, 2011. I thank other Merqury City members for allowing me to share my perspective on "the meaning of the life," and will now exit this discussions so others can express their viewpoints on this given subject.

QP:

Sincerely, the last thing I want to see is anybody losing their faith. I respect your viewpoint without question. I hope you are raptured, but I pray for you that it comes in a different way to the way you're expecting.

https://ssx.ozmonet.com/user/275926760

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:25 pm  Post subject: Re: The meaning of life  
PSN: crispncrunchy
RE Virus wrote:
Me me me me me me me. Meeeeee, I'm a Perfect Quotidian. And you probably don't even know what Quotidian means. That's how Perfect I am.

I don't think God values narcissism very positively. Just sayin'.

:heh :heh :heh I've been restraining myself from saying that for weeks.

The word "quotidian" means "daily." My user name is symbolic of a person who seeks daily perfection in life, even though perfection is impossible to achieve on Earth. This is because all humans, by nature, are predisposed towards sinning.

I had always interpreted your handle as "I'm perfect every day". Maybe something to do with narcissism.

It has to be said that Camping predicted that this was gonna happen in 1994, which it didn't! He has just rejigged the numbers this time. Some argue that this is all a fund raiser for his Family Radio "Church" or at least that is what it would be registered as so as to avoid paying taxes. He has provided no guarantee that he will refund believer's contributions if his prediction is wrong. I have to ask why contributions need to be made if the world is ending.

QP you said no more posts anymore three times now. All I observe is that you are possessed with having the last word in any discussion. If I was to put my self in the position of God, you would have no chance of rapture.

2 days left now.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:10 pm  Post subject: Re: The meaning of life  
Gravitude MVP
Let's pause this discussion for 2 days, then wait for QP's detailed explication as to why the Rapture didn't happen.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:30 pm  Post subject: Re: The meaning of life  
Since Christ never sinned...

I thought it didn't matter because we are stained by original sin, how did Jesus not inherit the sins of his mother?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:32 am  Post subject: Re: The meaning of life  
Firecrackers tomorrow, brace yourself

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:18 am  Post subject: Re: The meaning of life  
PSN: Kubi-ssx
It is apparently meant to happen at 6:00 pm.

Question:
Which time zone do we refer to?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:26 am  Post subject: Re: The meaning of life  
Haha, I was thinking that very same thing this morning. It has to be GMT. But QP is American and since he believes he has special access to God, he can decide for us...

QP what time & time zone are we to expect extreme pain and anguish?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:34 pm  Post subject: Re: The meaning of life  
Gravitude MVP
doyle wrote:
I thought it didn't matter because we are stained by original sin, how did Jesus not inherit the sins of his mother?

Let me answer that. Jesus Christ is the son of God and also God himself and the Holy Spirit. Therefore, original sin doesn't apply to Him. Wasn't that obvious?

crispncrunchy wrote:
Haha, I was thinking that very same thing this morning. It has to be GMT. But QP is American and since he believes he has special access to God, he can decide for us...

Unless Prophet Camping has it figured out, I'd bet that God has no specific time in mind. Probably some time after breakfast. Maybe between the first and second coffee.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:11 pm  Post subject: Re: The meaning of life  
RE Virus wrote:
crispncrunchy wrote:

Unless Prophet Camping has it figured out, I'd bet that God has no specific time in mind. Probably some time after breakfast. Maybe between the first and second coffee.

As long as I get 42 seconds to microwave the milk.

*Edit*
I'm drinking my first coffee. I think Mr Camping is wrong again. Sorry QP that you're not in rapture, but earth is THE paradise.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:00 am  Post subject: Re: The meaning of life  
Hi All:

I am begging all Merqury City members which have participated in this particular discussion to forgive for me for incorrectly spreading Harold Camping's false prophecy that May 21, 2011 is the Rapture and the first Day of Judgment. I subscribed to Camping's eschatological predictions for two reasons: fright, and a sense that immortality was within my grasp. My fear stemmed from the fact that, if I faced Judgment, it would necessitate that I endure God's wrath. Additionally, I would have no assurance that the earthquake which brought my area to ruins could bring upon my immediate and painless annihilation. I might be walking in the street when the earthquake starts, and am knocked to ground by telephone poles and wires which crash upon me; consequently, I would have to experience the agony of electrocution. Yet, I also believed that I could possibly one of those individuals who could be an heir to a perpetual spiritual existence. More precisely, I meditated upon the desire of floating around in a celestial body which was entirely void of stress.

However, the more preoccupied I became with my own religious beliefs, the more I began to think that all people held my credos sacrosanct. This, as I now understand, constitued a grave mistake on my part. In letting fear override my reasoning, I often posted in order to warn others about forthcoming doom. This was another crucial error, though, because, in my fervent effort to defend Camping, I failed to read other posters' materials in a light that would allow me to recognize their warning to me--namely, that Camping is the leader of a cult, and not a true Christian organization. I was Camping's fool. My corrective step is going to be to return to my Protestant Church which I left at Camping's commands. I am also going to severe all ties between myself and Family Radio so that I can engage in useful discussions once again in the Lodge. In short, I deserved to be chastised for accepting all of Camping's teachings without question, and I am thankful for all the people on Merqury City who rescued my mind from Camping's irrational convictions. Merqury City posters have taught me the that it is pathetic for an individual, especially one who holds a Master's Degree in English, to accept one's beliefs as fact without taking an interrogative look at his or her convictions. I am gifted in my ability to write and analyze information, and vow never again to discard it because someone threatens me that I will suffer horrific consequences should I refuse to discard my God-given talents, and blindly follow his or her orders instead.

I am back to the old QuotidianPerfection. I hope I have not offended anyone too severely in trying to defend an apostate Biblical teacher. Now, is it alright if I can start anew with everyone?

Last edited by QuotidianPerfection on Sat May 21, 2011 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:22 am  Post subject: Re: The meaning of life  
QP there is no need to apologise or to chastise yourself. You made a mistake, the main thing is to learn from our mistakes. The best gifts are wrapped in shit! Fear is just an emotion. Emotions can't hurt us in themselves; it is how we react to our emotions that can be damaging.

To me it really doesn't matter if there is an afterlife. I have found it is much more fulfilling to live just for today. Living in the past or the future has only ever caused me pain.

May I suggest that you view your God as benevolent (wanting the best for you), not a God that is going to whip you for doing wrong.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:18 am  Post subject: Re: The meaning of life  
Hi crispncrunchy:

Thank you for your kind words.

Now, I will offer brief commentary on the topic at hand.

I believe that everybody's "meaning of life" is different. In the United States, we call this "the American Dream."

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:03 am  Post subject: Re: The meaning of life  
Gravitude MVP
It looks as if QP made that post 1 day early. It was just over midnight on the 21st (any US timezone). How did you conclude Camping was wrong so early?

Quote:
My corrective step is going to be to return to my Protestant Church which I left at Camping's commands.

Please don't. Jesus Christ is in your heart, not in the Church. The American Protestant churches have been corrupted by a Zionist/Jewish spin on dispensationalism, first populatized by Cyrus Scofield, known as Christian Zionism, where Israel and the Jewish People are worshipped in place of Jesus Christ. This insanity has become so widespread that it's in most protestant churches in America. The biggest church leaders are on board with it, most notably John Hagee, Pat Robertson, and the late Jerry Falwell. Hagee has gone so far as to claim that "Jesus did not come to Earth to be the Messiah" -- this from America's top "Christian" leader!

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 4 of 9 [ 219 posts ]  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9