Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:03 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:45 pm  Post subject: How much does Local food save the environment?  
Well, a Carnegie Mellon study on the carbon output of certain diets, showed that giving up meat for only one day a week does more for the environment than eating solely local food. I personally think this is awesome, because, I think being a vegetarian for one day a week, is about 74 times easier than trying to get all your food from local suppliers (I am a vegetarian, if you haven't guessed already).

From NewScientist

NewScientist wrote:
To drive his point home, Weber calculated that a completely local diet would reduce a household's greenhouse emissions by an amount equivalent to driving a car 1600 km fewer per year. He assumed the car travels 10.6 km per litre of petrol (25 mpg). Switching from red meat to veggies just one day per week would spare 1860 km of driving.

Personally, I think this is awesome. Especially because I eat on a meal plan and really don't have any say over where my food comes from. So I ask everyone, what is one day a week? Do you really need steak everyday? What's stopping you from doing more for the environment than hippy trend whore locavores?

Last edited by doyle on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:47 am  Post subject: Re: The Case Against Local Food.  
SSX: Racing: #1
Clayman
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX: Racing: #1
  • SSX: Overall: #2
Eh, good luck getting fatty americans to do that.

And personally, I eat meat or an animal product at every meal, 8 meals a day, so yeah, I can't partake in that. :heh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:33 am  Post subject: Re: The Case Against Local Food.  
There is more to the movement than a bunch of hippy trendy whores, you know. It's not just about the environment, or your diet. It's about getting off the international corporate food system as much as possible. GMOs and industrial plastic-wrapped sugar calories are the trends that need to go. And that includes Whole Foods.

Obviously you can't remove yourself entirely, but I know you can grow some basil and some thyme, at the very least. Growing as much food on your own as possible is the best option by far. Also try making your own bread, your own butter, your own tomato or cream sauce, etc. from basic ingredients you can get anywhere for cheap. It's pretty cool to do it yourself and have it taste better, to boot. Not to mention the health benefits, the lesser cost and consumption, and the reduced impact on the environment. And you get all of those from making the best-tasting food. It's kind of a slam dunk.

Also, don't focus too much on carbon emissions.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:55 pm  Post subject: Re: The Case Against Local Food.  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
I do think that local food is an excellent way to both prop up the economy and make a difference in the environment.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:00 pm  Post subject: Re: The Case Against Local Food.  
My topic title is (edit: was) really misleading. I'm not knocking local food, it's just impossible to live everyday as a locavore, especially when living just one day a week without meat does more for the environment than eating seven days a week as a locavore.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:38 pm  Post subject: Re: How much does Local food save the environment?  
Like I said, don't overly concern yourself with carbon emissions and man-made greenhouse gases. They aren't much of a problem.

Focus on overall consumption.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:56 pm  Post subject: Re: How much does Local food save the environment?  
While it's not always possible to eat locally grown stuff, choosing what you can is better than not doing anything. It's good for several reasons, not the least of which is supporting local growers. Also, you'll get more nutrition out of the stuff that hasn't had to travel as far to get to you.

The author Starhawk stated in her book Earth Power that you should do what you can, even if it's a little, instead of trying to do everything. Face it, if you guilt yourself over every scrap you throw away, it's going to become so overwhelming that you won't feel like you're doing any good at all and you're more likely to give up trying to do anything. Do what you can and don't feel guilty about the rest.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:55 am  Post subject: Re: How much does Local food save the environment?  
I'd never want to give up meat completely and become a vegeterian but I don't eat meat every day.
I keep some vegeterian days too.
Usually we eat local vegetables because we get them from my grandfather who has a really big garden with many sorts of vegetables.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:35 pm  Post subject: Re: How much does Local food save the environment?  
well for some of us getting all local food is actually pretty easy, including meat~

i live in the country and we have a store here called sunny farms that has all locally grown and raised stuff~

i would think that most people dont actually eat meat 7 days a week~ maybe im wrong though. i love me my meat but i dont eat meat seven days a week~

anywho.....interesting topic~

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]