Strict Standards: Only variables should be passed by reference in /home/gravitud/public_html/ssx_forum/includes/arcade/functions_arcade.php on line 626
The Gravitude Bar • View topic - Of what religion/faith group do you belong too?
Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:36 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister
 



Post new topic Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Of what religion/faith group do you belong too?
Christianity 49%  49%  [ 61 ]
Judaism 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Islam 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Hinduism 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Buddhism 6%  6%  [ 7 ]
Taoism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Wiccan/Pagan 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Indigenous 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 41%  41%  [ 51 ]
Total votes : 125
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:20 am  Post subject: Re: Of what religion/faith group do you belong too?  
User avatar
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:43 am
Rank: Master
Location: Isulan, Sultan Kudarat, Philippines!! ^_^
who was Wiccan here???
I also liked their teachings.
cause I have a book about it.. it's lost...

_________________
Image
Because Canadian Girls Kick Butt!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:19 am  Post subject: Re: Of what religion/faith group do you belong too?  
User avatar
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:50 pm
Rank: Master
Wind energy powers my house.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:48 am  Post subject: Re: Of what religion/faith group do you belong too?  
User avatar
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:43 am
Rank: Master
Location: Isulan, Sultan Kudarat, Philippines!! ^_^
Khalpz? is it you?

_________________
Image
Because Canadian Girls Kick Butt!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:49 pm  Post subject: Re: Of what religion/faith group do you belong too?  
User avatar
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:50 pm
Rank: Master
Location: Dallas, Texas
I sho do luv me sum Jesus

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:29 am  Post subject: Re: Of what religion/faith group do you belong too?  
User avatar
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:19 pm
Rank: Rookie
PSN: xmscott
One of two Jews!

But i have little to no faith

_________________
Opie and Anthony - Ron and Fez! Fan

Stream : http://stream.spreadtheonavirus.com/livexm


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:37 am  Post subject: Re: Of what religion/faith group do you belong too?  
User avatar
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:43 am
Rank: Master
Location: Isulan, Sultan Kudarat, Philippines!! ^_^
Satanists: hate 'em. :lol

_________________
Image
Because Canadian Girls Kick Butt!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:49 pm  Post subject: Re: Of what religion/faith group do you belong too?  
User avatar
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:45 am
Rank: Master
Location: Scotland
PSN: CardsOfFate
I like to believe i'm a mix between Catholic and Buddhist.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:35 pm  Post subject: Re: Of what religion/faith group do you belong too?  
User avatar
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:47 pm
Rank: Master
Location: Back in Oz
PSN: crispncrunchy
How's that work Baron?

_________________
Image
Some of my Architectural renders :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:42 am  Post subject: Re: Of what religion/faith group do you belong too?  
User avatar
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:45 am
Rank: Master
Location: Scotland
PSN: CardsOfFate
The beliefs of Christianity, the zen of Buddhism...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:39 am  Post subject: Re: Of what religion/faith group do you belong too?  
User avatar
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:47 pm
Rank: Master
Location: Back in Oz
PSN: crispncrunchy
Ummm I don't find Christianity very Zen. To me it runs by implementing fear in the believer, that doesn't feel very Zen to me.

_________________
Image
Some of my Architectural renders :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:40 am  Post subject: Re: Of what religion/faith group do you belong too?  
User avatar
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:45 am
Rank: Master
Location: Scotland
PSN: CardsOfFate
crispncrunchy wrote:
Ummm I don't find Christianity very Zen. To me it runs by implementing fear in the believer, that doesn't feel very Zen to me.


I always attempt to find meaning in the darkest places.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:07 am  Post subject: Re: Of what religion/faith group do you belong too?  
User avatar
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:01 am
Rank: Master
Location: Ontario, Canada
XBL: Kaavyn
The closest thing I can call myself is a Deist. I believe in a God, but I don't believe in single specific one defined like in other religions.

I also think atheism is an extreme perspective. I used to call myself an atheist/agnostic when I started to doubt the existence of the catholic God, because I always thought there was a God, just not the one defined by catholicism. I started to change my way of thought when I started to learn of other religions, and started to think "Why can't my God just be a combination of different Gods? Why do only one of the Gods from different ethnicities have to be THE God to worship? How is it that there are all these stories for each God, yet only ONE of them can be our true God?" These are the kinds of questions I asked myself, and in the end I came to the conclusion that maybe there really was a God, but in the end, when the world started to break apart into 7 continents and the world started to drift into different groups, that maybe each religious group started to experience different phenomenas from the same God and started to make assumptions of what their God really is. That, mixed with millenias upon millenias of generations constantly learning of different interpretations of their own religion, started to drift apart more and more.

tl;dr I believe in a single God, yet believe that all religions are right in some way about the truth of who God is. The only thing that's impossible is to tell what's real and what isn't.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:38 pm  Post subject: Re: Of what religion/faith group do you belong too?  
User avatar
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:34 pm
Rank: Natural
Location: Eastern Illinois University
Well, I'm going to make this short and simple.
I love me som Jesus. :P :D hehe

_________________
Image
"I think many things,but what people think of me isn't one of them."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:31 pm  Post subject: Re: Of what religion/faith group do you belong too?  
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:14 am
Rank: Master
Location: Canada
I'm neither a believer nor an atheist. Just a philosopher... I don't think the existence of God can be proven through reason. The world as it is is separated from the world as we organize necessarily through perception... so God could exist but we just have no way of perceiving it... no God perceiving faculty etc... However, I certainly don't think that Abrahamic texts are from God though...

That being said... I usually just let the mystery stew over me instead of worry about the answers... really try it out sometime...

_________________
transientb.bandcamp.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:17 pm  Post subject: Re: Of what religion/faith group do you belong too?  
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:05 pm
Rank: Master
Location: United States
Hi All:

I'm Christian (i.e., Protestant).

Take care.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:23 pm  Post subject: Re: Of what religion/faith group do you belong too?  
User avatar
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:05 pm
Rank: Superstar
Location: England
XBL: Morph Phoenix
Filip wrote:
Unicycler wrote:
Well i am christian.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Atheism.
There is no such thing as god,holy 10 rules and other bullshit that the cato's created to keep in power IMO Human created god not God created Human.
Coruption and false.
That is what they learn you in the church.No freedom of speach(even thought they blaber bullshit that god gave you freewill...BULLSHIT - The free will is the Mind).

Also i've seen recently this show with steaphan hawking..that made me more clear about the creation of the world.

I get annoyed when I see people speak like this. I don't even dissagree with you entirely. I think the way people word their thoughts are important. Arrogance is never a good thing.

MESS wrote:
Actually, RedTyga, you do believe in a religion, and that is the one of atheism. You don't have any solid proof God does not exist, just as I have none that he does exist, yet you believe that there is no God.


I don't agree mate. Atheism has never been a religion. By your logic, would you say I am in a religion because I have no proof fairies don't exist? I don't believe in them, and some people do.

They can't prove they exist, but believe. I can't prove they don't exist, and don't believe. I don't think it qualifies as religion. In the same way (example) I could say you're in a religion of anti-spagetti monster, simply because you can't prove it doesn't exist, and you don't believe in it.

Athiesm doesn't say god doesn't exist, but say that a god probably doesn't exist. We don't know.

I believe god does not exist. - A belief.
I don't believe a god does exist. - Not a belief.

Kav wrote:
The closest thing I can call myself is a Deist. I believe in a God, but I don't believe in single specific one defined like in other religions.

I also think atheism is an extreme perspective. I used to call myself an atheist/agnostic when I started to doubt the existence of the catholic God, because I always thought there was a God, just not the one defined by catholicism. I started to change my way of thought when I started to learn of other religions, and started to think "Why can't my God just be a combination of different Gods? Why do only one of the Gods from different ethnicities have to be THE God to worship? How is it that there are all these stories for each God, yet only ONE of them can be our true God?" These are the kinds of questions I asked myself, and in the end I came to the conclusion that maybe there really was a God, but in the end, when the world started to break apart into 7 continents and the world started to drift into different groups, that maybe each religious group started to experience different phenomenas from the same God and started to make assumptions of what their God really is. That, mixed with millenias upon millenias of generations constantly learning of different interpretations of their own religion, started to drift apart more and more.

tl;dr I believe in a single God, yet believe that all religions are right in some way about the truth of who God is. The only thing that's impossible is to tell what's real and what isn't.


That's interesting, never seen someone put a thought out like that. I always appreciate a persons own view on things.

I will add though, that when Humans first moved from Africa, the world wasn't a single land mass.
------------

I'll add my own part in this thread. I'm Athiest. I'm convinced by evidence, I rely on what we do know, backed up by evidence. If one day humans are able to prove the existance of a god, I would accept it.

If I were to ever believe in a god, it wouldn't be apart of any religion humans have created. My problem with religion is that human history far outdates the history of todays popular religions. I can't convince myself that a supernatural being capable of creating the universe, cares how you feel. But I'm Athiest so I don't have to contemplate such thoughts :thumbsup

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:44 pm  Post subject: Re: Of what religion/faith group do you belong too?  
User avatar
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:18 pm
Rank: Superstar
Location: New York
XBL: Quicquidlibet
PSN: SpontaneousFish5 (Never use)
I was born Jewish, but I'm mainly Apatheism (Mainly no belief of disbelief to a god, considers the question of the existence of gods as neither meaningful nor relevant to his or her life.)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:56 pm  Post subject: Re: Of what religion/faith group do you belong too?  
User avatar
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:22 pm
Rank: Master
Location: the wilds of Appalachia
PSN: Equinoqs
Atheist.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:28 am  Post subject: Re: Of what religion/faith group do you belong too?  
User avatar
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:06 pm
Rank: Master
Hey guys, I'm an agnostic Christian, and if anyone cares to know here's why:

Click to reveal hidden content: show
I started with a review of what happens to unbelievers of major faiths, and here are my summarized conclusions, sorted into groups:

-REINCARNATION BASED-
Taoism: endless rebirth until you achieve immortality
Buddhism: causal rebirth. Mess up, and your next body's gonna suck (can be animals).
Confucianism: causal rebirth. Mess up, and your next body's gonna suck (but you'll still be human).
Hinduism: causal rebirth. Mess up, and your next body's gonna suck (as in, you'll be an animal, but once your time as an animal is up you're back to human).
Jainism: rebirth until heaven (can be inanimate objects like stones, air, or water).
Wiccan: reincarnation with karma attached (only human).
Sikhism: endless reincarnation (animals included), and no heaven whatsoever.

-ONE SHOT-
Bahaism: spirit world, which fluctuates between heaven and hell based on your choices in the spirit world and on earth.
Rastafari: heaven. Yes, everyone gets heaven.
Christianity: hell.
Islam: hell.
Judaism: as long as you follow the seven laws of Noah (which all major religions advise you do) you're fine. If not, you are detached from God in the spirit world.
Mormonism: you wait in limbo until everyone is eventually reunited with their bodies.
Shintoism: once you're dead you go into a spirit world where you can help your decedents.
Zoroastrianism: hell, but you get pulled up into heaven once the earth ends.
Atheism: nothingness.

Now, since I'm an agnostic (which I assume most everyone here is as well) I realize that any or multiple of these belief systems can be true. With this in mind, I went through and filtered out those faiths in which the punishment for not adhering to it wasn't really that bad. I was left with Atheism, Christianity, and Islam. Now, the reason I didn't choose to believe in Atheism is simply because I see no reason to do so. There are no benefits, besides time saved trying to adhere to another faith. When it came down to me to choose between Islam and Christianity, I was torn. I eventually settled on Christianity because I'm lazy and it was convenient. :shrug


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:34 am  Post subject: Re: Of what religion/faith group do you belong too?  
User avatar
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:57 am
Rank: Contender
Location: Montreal, Qc, Canada
PSN: Hibou77
I find Pantheism, the "religion" of A.Einstein, most interesting...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:58 am  Post subject: Re: Of what religion/faith group do you belong too?  
User avatar
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:39 am
Rank: Sensei
XBL: Resetting
PSN: IDontHaveAPS3
my "religion" is reason, nature, science, whatever you want to call it. the objective i have set myself is simply to exist and create a net growth in happiness, producing as little suffering as possible in the process.

i see the dark side of religion, to control the populace. and i don't like it.

there are good sides to religion, i can see that. for example, those who dont feel like they can carry on with life on their own can look to their may or may not be real friend god, and ask him for help, and then when something good happens, they can correlate whatever it was that happened to make their life a little bit more bearable to their god thing, and they feel like they arent so alone anymore, even though nothing has really changed, theyre still the same person they were before, but displacing their own strength off to a higher power seems to comfort some people, so, good for them i suppose.

"cause when push comes to shove, its all down to you!"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:42 pm  Post subject: καλλίστη  
User avatar
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:38 am
Rank: Master
XBL: greatsinister
hail eris! all hail discordia! :woot

_________________
twitch.tv/ssxual | youtube.com/ssxual | cody combo movie!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:42 pm  Post subject: Re: Of what religion/faith group do you belong too?  
User avatar
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:31 am
Rank: Master
Resetting wrote:
my "religion" is reason, nature, science, whatever you want to call it. the objective i have set myself is simply to exist and create a net growth in happiness, producing as little suffering as possible in the process.

i see the dark side of religion, to control the populace. and i don't like it.

there are good sides to religion, i can see that. for example, those who dont feel like they can carry on with life on their own can look to their may or may not be real friend god, and ask him for help, and then when something good happens, they can correlate whatever it was that happened to make their life a little bit more bearable to their god thing, and they feel like they arent so alone anymore, even though nothing has really changed, theyre still the same person they were before, but displacing their own strength off to a higher power seems to comfort some people, so, good for them i suppose.

"cause when push comes to shove, its all down to you!"

I was basically going to write this, but with real sentences.

_________________
ImageCharmy comes in all different colors - UrbanDictionary.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:41 pm  Post subject: Re: Of what religion/faith group do you belong too?  
User avatar
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:26 am
Rank: Master
XBL: raw talent
PSN: g0mbl3rr (zero for the o)
Roman Catholic who occasionally attends the tridentine latin mass (it's a beautiful service). Read all the books (Augustine, Pascal, Kierkegaard, Hegel, Kant, Spinoza, Kreeft) and happy with my choice.

More info here www.catholic.com

_________________
Image
Rolling Thunder 3:13 http://www.expresso.net/Rider/Ride/Lap/854195662


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:23 pm  Post subject: Re: Of what religion/faith group do you belong too?  
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:05 pm
Rank: Master
Location: United States
Hi All:

I'm a Reformed Baptist. I like Dr. James R. White's scholarly approach to theology. Here is a link to his site: http://www.aomin.org/.

Here is a link to the Proptestant Reformers:

Martin Luther: http://www.uncommon-travel-germany.com/martin-luther-95-theses.html.
John Calvin: http://www.reformed.org/documents/index.html?mainframe=http://www.reformed.org/documents/calvin/calvin_predestination.html.
William Tyndale: http://www.godrules.net/library/tyndale/19tyndale7.htm.
William Perkins: http://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/sdg/perkins_prophesying.html.

As an aside, I believe in fourfold exegesis--however, I do not feel that the Pope has the right to dictate the way Scripture is interpreted. In this regard, I delineate along the same lines as Luther, who says that “In the Scriptures, no allegory, tropology, or anagogy is valid, unless that same truth is explicitly stated somewhere else. Otherwise, Scripture would become a laughing matter” (Luther qtd. in McGrath 173).

While I admit that the Church Fathers are brilliant philosophers, I don't always accept their point of view. That being said, I still feel that the works St. Augustine of Hippo and St. Thomas Aquinas make very intriguing reads, and anyone interested in finding full texts of selected Church Fathers' books can visit this site: http://www.newadvent.org/.

Take care.

Best Wishes,
QuotidianPerfection


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next


Jump to:  



Information
Page 12 of 14 [ 330 posts ]  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Show or Hide Information
cron


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group