Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:18 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:56 pm  Post subject: Why I like the Brony/Pony Fandom  
XBL: ChaoticJ 202
PSN: Lunar_Nobis
I figured some people might want to know what exactly I like about this fandom and how the hell I came across it. I'm posting this in the Lodge because it has popped up as a subject of bullying for me and several of my friends so I thought i'd share this for others to see. A quick note, it's fine if you don't like the show and whatnot and I'm not trying to shove the fandom down your guys' throats so please be a little patient with this, thanks :thumbsup

How I came across the fandom:
Well, I first started noticing pony back on memebase back in early 2011 but never really paid much attention to it, in fact I used to be one of the guys who would rip on guys liking it (in short I used to be a hater :heh ). In October of 2011 I finally decided to let my curiosity get the better of me and check out an episode to see what all the fuss was about (the episode was 'Luna Eclipsed'), at first I was kinda stunned going, "Holy crap, that wasn't half bad. What about if I watch another episode just for more analysis." (I tend to overthink a lot) after a couple more episodes I was actually starting to enjoy the show even though hearing the intro still makes me gringe a little bit to this day, but overall I was finding it pretty well done.

What exactly do you like about this show?
That's actually the tough question here, I like multiple things about it. I find the characters to actually be well rounded and almost relatable in some cases (for me it's kind of a mix between Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie that relate to because I'm always shy when talking to new people and in big crowds but when I find someone with the same interests as me I can't shut the hell up and go crazy with subjects to talk about :heh ) and I also like the VA's that do the voices and the one I've most recognized is Tara Strong from all the cartoons I used to watch, her roles in multiple games (if you played any of the recent Batman games you'll hear her voice). Another thing I like is that the episodes actually seem to be well written out, sure there are some bad ones but there are also really amazing ones too. And finally I really enjoy the loads of fanwork that people put out like fanfics, fanart, and videos too.

Have I ever been bullied about it?
Unfortunately yes, I was what you considered a 'Closet Brony' meaning I mainly kept to myself and my other brony/pegasister friends. I finally had to try and explain to my family about it when my shirts came in. My bro decided to be a complete dick about it and open my package (even though I said no one was to touch) and he actually said, "What the fuck is this? Why the hell do you have pony shit?" He got to the point where he started questioning my sexuality, saying I must be autistic or something or just plain gay and it sucked I hated it and sometimes I would regret even joining the fandom :cry . But my family was just the start, people in public started calling 'Faggot', 'Queer', 'Autistic Retard' (yes these were all names I've been called :cry ) But then there were that were actually complimenting me saying nice things about our community and how there were brony organizations doing good things for people in need as well as getting good compliments on my shirts of course. Things did eventually null over between my family and I, but my brother still bugs me about it (but his girlfriend seem to like me for it, I think one time she said she'd send me one of those Pinkie Pie Build a Bears from when she moves to Ottawa :heh )but regardless things have gotten better. :)

Will you still be apart of the fandom?
Of course, this is one of the nicest communities I've come across (other than you guys of course :thumbsup ) and I still really enjoy the show and look forward to watching season 4 when it airs next winter and I will plan to go to some sort of pony convention just so I can enjoy the best the community has to offer, who knows maybe I might be skilled enough to actually contribute something to the fandom one day weather it be art, video, or fanfiction I will continue to support the community. :)

Thanks for your time :thumbsup
oh yeah this is an image I showed my brother and even he got a good laugh out of it and it's for anyone who still objectifies me watching the show:lol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:30 am  Post subject: Re: Why I like the Brony/Pony Fandom  
We already have a MLP thread.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9122

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:19 am  Post subject: Re: Why I like the Brony/Pony Fandom  
Baron von Gikkigen wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9122

yeah i knew that, but i made this thread to have a more serious discussion about it instead of lighthearted conversation and to put it in more detail, plus i don't think anyone posted there since last year almost

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:31 am  Post subject: Re: Why I like the Brony/Pony Fandom  
Wind_Waker23 wrote:
Baron von Gikkigen wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9122

yeah i knew that, but i made this thread to have a more serious discussion about it instead of lighthearted conversation and to put it in more detail, plus i don't think anyone posted there since last year almost

Sounds fair enough to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:48 pm  Post subject: Re: Why I like the Brony/Pony Fandom  
PSN: TaysteChampion
Cool man, I still haven't seen it yet. But recently I have been doing a lot of childminding and watching Cartoon Network with the kids. I thought they didn't make them like they used to ('Dexters Laboratory', 'Ed Edd n Eddie', 'The Powerpuff Girls' etc) but I have been pleasantly entertained! There are some amazing, hilarious and trippy shows like 'The Regular Show', 'Adventure Time' and 'The Amazing World of Gumball'. Check them out! They are on at prime time like 4-8pm and actually have parental guidance warnings before the shows! After I got into these shows I did a bit of research and unsurprisingly they have gained cult adult following. My favourite is 'The Regular Show' fave character 'Benson'.

Adventure Time is the most trippy, but so much so that I found some episodes were hit and some miss. I mean, you gotta be high on acid or something to get some of the episodes! What is MLP like? Trippy, funny, weird? What themes do they go over in the stories?

I should probably just go watch an episode shouldn't I...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:24 pm  Post subject: Re: Why I like the Brony/Pony Fandom  
TaysteChampion wrote:
Cool man, I still haven't seen it yet. But recently I have been doing a lot of childminding and watching Cartoon Network with the kids. I thought they didn't make them like they used to ('Dexters Laboratory', 'Ed Edd n Eddie', 'The Powerpuff Girls' etc) but I have been pleasantly entertained! There are some amazing, hilarious and trippy shows like 'The Regular Show', 'Adventure Time' and 'The Amazing World of Gumball'. Check them out! They are on at prime time like 4-8pm and actually have parental guidance warnings before the shows! After I got into these shows I did a bit of research and unsurprisingly they have gained cult adult following. My favourite is 'The Regular Show' fave character 'Benson'.

Adventure Time is the most trippy, but so much so that I found some episodes were hit and some miss. I mean, you gotta be high on acid or something to get some of the episodes! What is MLP like? Trippy, funny, weird? What themes do they go over in the stories?

I should probably just go watch an episode shouldn't I...

it's meant for morals on friendship and love and tolerance, but in a sense MLP can be funny and sometimes weird but pretty cool (my fave two episodes are the 'A Canterlot Wedding' two-parter from the end of season 2), the first season was ok, but the 2nd season is where most of the internet and cultural icons and references are made while still focusing on the main theme (there are actually ponies there that resemble characters from 'The Big Lebouski') and the third season was ok, it was short but memorable even though it did cause some trouble with the whole Twilicorn thing but it was pretty good. something to keep in mind that if you do decide to watch an episode be prepared to cringe a bit at the intro and feel a little wierded out that you watch it in the first place (I know I did :lol )
spent the last hour watching this mini documentary on the whole history of it and found it pretty cool

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:40 am  Post subject: Re: Why I like the Brony/Pony Fandom  
I watched A Canterlot Wedding. I liked it. It's a bit like Disney, thats the closest comparison I could make. I remembered seeing an early trailer for a fighting game. I think thats a really silly idea though. An RPG would work much better. That love spell at the end was pretty powerful. A fighting game though, seriously? They should scrap that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:24 am  Post subject: Re: Why I like the Brony/Pony Fandom  
TaysteChampion wrote:
I watched A Canterlot Wedding. I liked it. It's a bit like Disney, thats the closest comparison I could make.

great to know you liked it, and as for the Disney comment that's actually what a lot of fans are comparing it to (not saying it as a bad thing though) :thumbsup
TaysteCahmpion wrote:
A fighting game though, seriously? They should scrap that.

unfortunately it did get scraped, not because they wanted to but because of a C+D order from Hasbro, i was actually kinda upset because it looked like it had potential, but who knows maybe some will make an awesome MLP styled RPG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:15 pm  Post subject: Re: Why I like the Brony/Pony Fandom  
PSN: SSXfanatic
A while ago I said I would check it out, since I was on the whole watching TV series craze before senior year too it's toll. I saw the first two episodes, and I thought to myself "Wow, I would totally watch this show...if I was like, HALF my current age."

It's the whole age gap thing for me. I'm a college-bound graduate, and although I do have interest in many things that are under my age, like Adventure Time and various webcomics, I'm totally weirded out by this show that is commercially geared towards children. It's also the fact that I recall poking fun at MLP products and bits before the Friendship is Magic version, and I'm more than certain at many current brony people are guilty of the same.

I've learned not to have opinions on the internet, so I'll leave it all at that. I do guess that it is a quality show, but I will stick to being beyond the matter.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:58 am  Post subject: Re: Why I like the Brony/Pony Fandom  
Eh, I never really disliked the fandom. I just saw people with avatars on a forum I used to frequent, and I thought, "oh well, so that's a thing". I just let them be for the most part, never passed any judgement. Eventually, though, one day I just got bored and decided to watch an episode. Then another episode. Then another. Then I ended up watching the whole first season (which at the time I joined, was the only season). I actually had to pause after the end of ep2, and just think "well shit, I'm a brony now". Really, I haven't watched anything to do with the show in a while, I kinda stopped after the start of Season 3. Considering getting back into it though, but i'll probably find time for that another time.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:08 am  Post subject: Re: Why I like the Brony/Pony Fandom  
I would try and see what the fandom is all about, but I literally never get any privacy. Ever.
Still, I must admit that I like the art style. A lot.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:10 am  Post subject: Re: Why I like the Brony/Pony Fandom  
Some of you guys care way too much about people passing judgement. I'm 28 and I watched that MLP episode on my ipad at full volume in the living room with my mates, one who was playing Mario Kart Wii the other applying for jobs. Both who were calling me gay. I watched it for 40+ minutes straight and I had to turn that shit down cos it was distracting my friend applying for jobs. You need privacy to watch it.. because?

If you worry about how people will judge you your whole lives you'll never be happy.

One day you will learn to stand up for yourselves and realize things like this don't matter. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:15 am  Post subject: Re: Why I like the Brony/Pony Fandom  
Nah. I just would like to make sure I actually like it before I'd be open about watching it. Either way, I have plenty else to entertain myself.
I'll look into it more once I'm living on my own.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:19 am  Post subject: Re: Why I like the Brony/Pony Fandom  
You don't need to live alone to watch it. Just watch it in front of whoever. You care way too much about things that don't matter. Stand up for yourself, i.e. don't care :thumbsup

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:33 am  Post subject: Re: Why I like the Brony/Pony Fandom  
I managed to watch a couple episodes to show my cousin and her fiancé why i liked and they said it was pretty cool and my cousin's fiancé is one of those hardcore COD guys too. also i managed to watch some episodes on my phone at the mall and felt zero shame

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:51 am  Post subject: Re: Why I like the Brony/Pony Fandom  
I'll try to watch an episode next time the family's outta the house. I know, I care wayyyyyyy to much about what other people think of me.
Any specific episode you'd recommend?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:39 pm  Post subject: Re: Why I like the Brony/Pony Fandom  
Salariedcat7507 wrote:
I'll try to watch an episode next time the family's outta the house. I know, I care wayyyyyyy to much about what other people think of me.

Lol, yeah. I used to be the same that's why I just tried to make the suggestion. You just need to confidently say "yeah someone recommended it to me apparently its pretty good". It's no big deal. It's actually pretty funny show. "What the hoof!"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:28 pm  Post subject: Re: Why I like the Brony/Pony Fandom  
Salariedcat7507 wrote:

hmmmm :??? , I would try 'Winter Wrap-Up' mainly because it has one of the catchiest songs you'll ever hear on the show :D other than that maybe 'Luna Eclipsed' might be ok for you too all depends on opinion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:32 am  Post subject: Re: Why I like the Brony/Pony Fandom  
XBL: Joshie2499
PSN: Joshie2499
[quote]I must be autistic, just plain gay, it sucked[ /quote]
Your friend must be an asshole. I'm autistic and I have never been into Brony/Pony fandom. Its only a disability, not a delusion. Its sickens me of why people target us because of our autism. Why though? How would they know If we are disabled by the way we PERSONALLY act? :???

P.S: My friend is autistic and is familiarised with Brony fandom and is into My Little Pony but I never took the piss out of him though. No-one should be forced to take offence of something they love. It will embarrass people including bullies.

If you like MLP, that's only for you to choose what you like. No-one should change the way you act as you are fine and happy the way you are. Don't take action for what people say as they are just complete loons who only hates and disrespect other people for their own purposes. Thanks for the post! I really loved it!! :thumbsup

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:52 pm  Post subject: Re: Why I like the Brony/Pony Fandom  
SpoofFilmsinc wrote:
Wind_Waker23 wrote:
I must be autistic, just plain gay, it sucked

Your friend must be an asshole. I'm autistic and I have never been into Brony/Pony fandom. Its only a disability, not a delusion. Its sickens me of why people target us because of our autism. Why though? How would they know If we are disabled by the way we PERSONALLY act? :???

P.S: My friend is autistic and is familiarised with Brony fandom and is into My Little Pony but I never took the piss out of him though. No-one should be forced to take offence of something they love. It will embarrass people including bullies.

If you like MLP, that's only for you to choose what you like. No-one should change the way you act as you are fine and happy the way you are. Don't take action for what people say as they are just complete loons who only hates and disrespect other people for their own purposes. Thanks for the post! I really loved it!! :thumbsup

the thing was it wasn't my friend (in fact he was okay with it :) ), but it was just random people on the street that made it bad. also the thing with being in the brony fandom is that you do have to take with a bit of salt, hope that clarifies a little bit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:00 pm  Post subject: Re: Why I like the Brony/Pony Fandom  
XBL: twoskilld4U
As for telling if people are under Aspergers, you kinda sometimes can tell just by talking to them face to face, completely different form of thinking and unique thought processes everywhere.

By tell i mean, you can make a good guess, there can be people on the spectrum with absolutely no differences in thought processes or social interaction. There can be people with extreme social difficulty that aren't autistic. No one has a right to call anyone out on it.

The common person cant seem to figure out exactly what ASD is. All they know about the autistic group is what they have seen. They don't care to know, and that is how we are here. Autism is a insult because, for example, they want to compare you to people like chris chan.

I don't even think they know its a spectrum.

Its like grouping Koreans as Asians due to complete ignorance of their backgrounds.

How to you respond to it?

You don't.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:55 am  Post subject: Re: Why I like the Brony/Pony Fandom  
I'm actually gonna be open about something, I'm not sure if I've ever told you about it, but here it is.

This show has literally saved my life.

I've been going through extreme bouts of depression for a long time, and although they've stopped now, they were going on long before I told you guys about it. I was going through a lot, parents were going through a lot, and it was just really hard for me. The only salvation I had was the show and it's community. No matter how much I would get it hard in life, I could go on my computer and talk to people who genuinely cared. I literally had a knife to my throat at one point, and I can guarantee you that if this show did not exist, I would have taken that slash, and I would not be talking to you right now. The only place you'd find me would've been in a graveyard.

Thank you, Lauren Faust, for making such an amazing show.

Thank you, Hasbro, for not fucking it up and making it like the previous generations.

Thank all of you, for not being uptight cunts about it.

And most of all, thank you MLP.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:21 pm  Post subject: Re: Why I like the Brony/Pony Fandom  
Christ, that's pretty deep. I don't quite know what to say in response, so I won't.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:53 pm  Post subject: Re: Why I like the Brony/Pony Fandom  
XBL: twoskilld4U
This is not the first time i have heard of something like this.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:16 pm  Post subject: Re: Why I like the Brony/Pony Fandom  
okay, so I was maybe thinking of reviving the old MLP thread (and by revive I mean bump up in some way on the playground by posting something) that way we can share comics, fanart and have episode discussions there because honestly I don't get the same vibe with EQD as with here so I figure we'll just redo the old thread

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  1, 2