Switch to full style
One Mountain - Three Peaks - Endless Possibilities... The SSX 3 Forum
Post a reply

Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:33 pm

Would there be any interest here on Merq for such a thing? Some of the SSX community, including myself and multiple others, have been casually having fun with some silly challenges, we've been doing a left stick only on All Peak Race challenge and it's been a good bit of fun. We were thinking of expanding this to something bigger, though it'll still be primarily for fun and casual.

So, in this thread, I would like to ask: 1) Is there any interest for this? and 2) Do you have any ideas for challenges? Keep in mind, it can concern any aspect of the game. Hopefully it will be a lot of fun, the more people get involved, the better of course. It probably isn't going to be super competitive, but it should be good for a lot of fun! Rithek and also Insetik47 would also stream these challenges, so we're really getting an awesome movement going here. In addition, Rithek moderates the SSX 3 game on Speedruns.com, and can create scoreboards for these challenges.

We really hope a lot of members here on Merq will join us on this little idea and have fun exploring new areas of the game and seeing it in a different light. There will be challenges for all skill levels! A few examples of challenge ideas/challenges we've done thus far:

Left stick only All Peak Race (Insetik47 22:53: http://www.twitch.tv/insetik47/v/23986616)
Use Dpad to controller boarder, rather than left stick
Slopestyle with no multipliers
No boost challenge
No monster tricks slopestyle
Predetermined route challenge

Stream/YouTube links:

http://www.twitch.tv/rithek
http://www.twitch.tv/Insetik47
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QQ3F3BJSQS1a2o8ebojcg

As more stuff happens, more videos and such will be posted. We're already working on getting some videos about the left stick only challenge up.
Last edited by 898ppp on Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:40 pm

For example, Rithek, 898ppp and I have already tried the "All Peak Race, Left stick only" run. I have a twitch highlight, and the other two are working on getting their attempts highlighted.

In my attempt, I discover that this is the one time where Metro City Subway is the worst possible route.

All Peak Race (Left Thumbstick Only) in 22:53 : http://www.twitch.tv/insetik47/v/23986616

Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:52 pm

Here is my run that I did earlier today:

http://www.twitch.tv/rithek/v/24004497

This is a really fun challenge and I suspect that the challenges we will do in the future will be fun as well! I hope to see more people participate so we can enjoy this great game together!

Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:47 pm

This sounds really fun, I'd love to participate! What's the deadline for the left stick only APR?

Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:10 pm

Kubi wrote:This sounds really fun, I'd love to participate! What's the deadline for the left stick only APR?

Awesome! To be fair, since this is in the establishment phase, deadlines and when to reveal new challenges and such hasn't really been planned out. I suppose it's fair to say that this one doesn't have a deadline as of now, but the ones from here on out will have clearly defined deadlines and times for new challenges. This one is just sort of a teaser, a little introduction to the concept.

And I'm back on the saddle! Just got a time of 22:19, which is the "WR" for this little challenge now. The 23:11 one was actually with a level one character while I think Rithek and Insetik both used maxed characters. One noteworthy thing, on Ruthless Ridge, I tried to go back on the track cleanly, but I failed and went off limits. Wasn't intentional, but it happened. Video coming soon! :P Also, at 11:10: wtf just happened there? As you can see, I gestured a question mark with my mouse. :P

Last edited by 898ppp on Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:16 pm

898ppp wrote:
Kubi wrote:This sounds really fun, I'd love to participate! What's the deadline for the left stick only APR?

Awesome! To be fair, since this is in the establishment phase, deadlines and when to reveal new challenges and such hasn't really been planned out. I suppose it's fair to say that this one doesn't have a deadline as of now, but the ones from here on out will have clearly defined deadlines and times for new challenges. This one is just sort of a teaser, a little introduction to the concept.

And I'm back on the saddle! Just got a time of 22:19, which is the "WR" for this little challenge now. The 23:11 one was actually with a level one character while I think Rithek and Insetik both used maxed characters. One noteworthy thing, on Ruthless Ridge, I tried to go back on the track cleanly, but I failed and went off limits. Wasn't intentional, but it happened. Video coming soon! :P Also, at 11:10: wtf just happened there? As you can see, I gestured a question mark with my mouse. :P

Very well! I'll try it out when I have time. Unfortunately, the second half of the week is very busy for me but I'll try my best. :)

Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:48 pm

Honestly we could even lengthen the challenges to bi monthly* (edited: I am stupid and put weekly when I meant monthly) if we wanted... For this one I think having it run until at least the end of next week (the 14th) would make a lot of sense!
Last edited by Rithek on Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:57 pm

Rithek wrote:Honestly we could even lengthen the challenges to bi weekly if we wanted... For this one I think having it run until at least the end of next week (the 14th) would make a lot of sense!

Probably a good idea, to be fair. Being the first one, we can say it ends on the 14th. I'm completely ok with that. I'd like to suggest midnight UTC.

Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:39 am

So what are the exact rules for this challenge? Watching your videos, I'm guessing that teleport booths in Metro City are not allowed. Neither is the restart glitch, as it requires pressing a button. If I can perform a glitch using only the left stick, can I use it? For example, there are wormholes that can be entered by just riding into them. There's also the lodge glitch in Green Station. Can I intentionally go off limits to respawn further?

Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:54 am

The challenge is originally intended to be clean, in the way that there will be no exploits on purpose. In my run, I went off limits on accident and gained time on that, but that generally shouldn't happen. If you fall or go off limits unintentionally, it's fine, but to the extent of which you are able to, it's a clean run, no wormholes, lodge glitches, early exit strats, phone booths, select tricks, intentional off limits/resets, and other glitches. You can only get one of the teleports in Metro anyway, unless you have tactics I don't know about. :P

Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:05 am

898ppp wrote:The challenge is originally intended to be clean, in the way that there will be no exploits on purpose. In my run, I went off limits on accident and gained time on that, but that generally shouldn't happen. If you fall or go off limits unintentionally, it's fine, but to the extent of which you are able to, it's a clean run, no wormholes, lodge glitches, early exit strats, phone booths, select tricks, intentional off limits/resets, and other glitches. You can only get one of the teleports in Metro anyway, unless you have tactics I don't know about. :P

If I did, I would just assume I shouldn't use them. :)

Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:43 am

Yeah, racing challenges will probably be 'clean' unless special criteria are given. Maybe we could find categories where wormholes or such add to the difficulty. Don't forget, this thread can be about brainstorming challenges as well. Maybe one could be "wormhole and still get the most points by the end" on a racetrack. Intimidator or Ruthless would definitely be interesting due to the amount of level you skip.

EDIT: I think tricking challenges on race tracks could be really cool. How about "Most points on X racetrack while still finishing under Y time"? Like, most points on Snow Jam while still finishing under 5 minutes. If you get a 4:59, great, if you get a 5:00, you took too long. :D

Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:57 am

Edged boarder wrote:Yeah, racing challenges will probably be 'clean' unless special criteria are given. Maybe we could find categories where wormholes or such add to the difficulty. Don't forget, this thread can be about brainstorming challenges as well. Maybe one could be "wormhole and still get the most points by the end" on a racetrack. Intimidator or Ruthless would definitely be interesting due to the amount of level you skip.

EDIT: I think tricking challenges on race tracks could be really cool. How about "Most points on X racetrack while still finishing under Y time"? Like, most points on Snow Jam while still finishing under 5 minutes. If you get a 4:59, great, if you get a 5:00, you took too long. :D

Awesome idea!

Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:02 am

@ Insetik and Kubi:

Yes, definitely! I've had this idea before and I love it, All Peak Jam somewhat already does this, but we can isolate it a lot more and customize it to revolve around the one specific track. The WH freestyle thing is also very interesting :o

How do people feel about in addition to having the actual live leaderboards with real competition, hypothetical Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum medals, thought up by the "administration"? I think it could be a good idea, not least because it provides incentive to players who are not top flight. Feel free to comment, I'm just splitballing.

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:32 pm

As the description says, this is my first run under 23 minutes. Not a great run, to say the least. No music because I could find a long mix that would suit it, so I left the game audio in. Enjoy the SSX 3 soundtrack. :D

Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:08 pm

Hey there kubi, Nice run and I’m glad you decided to participate with this challenge! I have been coming up with some other new ideas for future challenges but I think we might do a freestyle related challenge next week just so races aren’t the only thing!

I also got a new best time for this challenge on stream today; here is a link and the youtube video for it:

http://www.twitch.tv/rithek/v/24345140

I made a command in my stream that links to this thread so I am hoping to see more people get involved!

Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:19 pm

God damn Rithek that time is pretty good. We'll see if I can't rock your world with something crazy soon enough. :)

Yes! I quite like dthe combo idea, for instance.

Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:20 pm

Alright, I gave it another go-round, and I am VERY surprised to beat Rithek's new time by...one whole second. Can't wait for the analytics to roll in on this match up.

Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:23 pm

Oh my jeez, the competition is heating up to temperatures nearing hot magma. This is awesome, I'm gonna get 21:50 tomorrow >:3 That'd be lulz. But wow, this is getting interesting. Gonna watch it now :P Also funny how you were literally typing out that post as I was praising Rithek on his run in the post above.

Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:39 pm

Yeah, that'd be cool. It could be embedded into the website. Gondee could use something like...

Code:

if (time > week) {
    new_challenge();
}

for (i = 0; i < participating_players; i++) {
    if (i[boolean_to_check_if_player_is_done] == true) {
        new_challenge();
    }
}
function new_challenge() {
    <code to update database>
}

Just some pseudo code. I don't even know why I put it there. Cool idea.

Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:18 am

That's an excellent idea actually, Peter! I was thinking, personally, to let this have a few weeks of successful running to see if the interest is going to remain, and then if it's still great like four or five weeks from now, I will request some involvement from Gondee, maybe he can help get the word out to literally everyone or something awesome like that. For now, I don't feel like this is ready to ask such a thing though, but in the near future, yes! And embedding it is a great idea, also.

A few days remain until it's time for a new challenge!

Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:23 pm

I beat insetiks time on stream today by 1 second!

I will be making the post for next weeks challenge tomorrow afternoon, I was going to do it today but I ran out of time sadly. Hope you guys enjoy the run above!
Post a reply