Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:12 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:26 pm  Post subject: Computer problems  
PSN: MistressWiggle
Well after trying everything I can think of I've sort of lost it.

I've just gotten a new computer, and every fucking time I sign on MSN and AIM I'll be talking for two minutes or so and they'll just log me out and I'll have to sign in again, My internet is fine it's just the IM Programmes.

Secondly I cannot pick up ANY speed for my Bitorrent downloads. We have a wireless connection my brother and I that feeds off my Dads computer, and Michaels computer will pick up 200KB a time. But I cannot pick up ANYTHING. I'm getting 0KB all the time, there's pleanty of seeds it's connecting to the tracker and I'm getting nothing.

I've tried like not having my brothers comp on because he was stealing all the speed but his hasn't been on at all and just wont pick up any speed.

Any help would be great, the MSN thing is pissing me off and I'm sick and tired of not being able to download. Even my shitty crappy laptop would do both of these things.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:06 pm  Post subject:   
Ok I think the Bitorrent problem sounds like something to do with a firewall on your new PC. I don't know exactly what you have, whether it's a windows firewall or one you have install like norton or mcafee etc, But try changing the settings.

As for the IM problem I think a friend of mine had this problem so i'll try a speak to him but i think he downloaded a program call trillian, http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/
which runs all IM programs in one program rather than having them all open together, which i think bypassed the problem so try that.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by snowstorm on Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:12 pm  Post subject:   
PSN: MistressWiggle
I've installed a new firewall and closed Windows firewall so It can't be that, as for trillian I've heard of it but if possible I'd rather not use it.

But thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:47 pm  Post subject:   
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Yeah, the bittorrent and chat thing sounds like a firewall problem...even if you installed a new one, be sure the proper ports or programs are allowed. Outside of that, I don't know, it's fishy. :hmmm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:01 pm  Post subject:   
Classic Killa
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX: Showoff: #2
It could also be interference, example being if your wireless adaptor is right next to a cordless phone or other signal transmitting device. But since it's a new computer the most likely problem is improper setup on your end. Sounds like the router is working fine for your brother. It's nothing I know much about but that's all I can think of.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:17 am  Post subject:   
Try turning your new firewall off altogether.

If you use Azureus, they have a simple inbuilt NAT test to see if everything's set up correctly (port forwarding, firewall etc).

If your ISP throttles P2P, make sure your client forces encryption and set to the highest settings - RC4 I believe.

Check your Event Viewer to see if there's anything fishy going on with TCP/IP. You might need to run TCP optimizer and if XP SP2 is installed, consider running the TCP/IP hack that allows more than 10 concurrent connections.

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]