Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:14 pm  Post subject: anyone went back and play SSX3/Tricky and not like it?  
Since SSX3 became backwards compatible on XBone I decided to download SSX3 to see if I could have some fun with it since tricky was one of my favs back in the day. I also played SSX3 back when and liked it but never had as much fun as tricky.

I also decided to buy tricky off eBay to see how it aged alongside 3

Man...these games have not aged well AT ALL in my opinion.

Let me start off by addressing SSX3... this games overall customization/character selection is terrible (being that its a snowboarding game you need good swag). All the accessories/clothing you unlock leaves a lot to be desired. For example, elise and allegras best clothes are pretty much all found on peak 1. They decided to give elise a generic black bikini set that looks terrible as a peak 3 end game reward. The gameplay itself is typical SSX but the problem is the tracks and replayability are HORRIBLE. Once you beat conquer the mountain there is zero incentive to go back and play as the courses themselves are extremely bland, there is zero character interaction, and the free roam mode in CTM is a complete chore. overall, this game felt like a cheap cash in off the success SSX tricky enjoyed as the character models are lazy, horrible customization, and the mountains probably took like a week to create despite EA Big claiming it was a huge endeavor.

SSX Tricky suffers from some of the issues as 3 in terms of replaybility and overall lack of content. Once you beat world tour a couple times there is pretty much no incentive to back and race computer a million times on garabaldi or mercury city meltdown (lets be real no one is racing on tokyo megaplex or alaska for fun).

the core physics for the SSX games are both good and bad. Its nice to be able to just tear through a mountain but at the same time there is zero learning curve to it which means once you get past the end game content the races themselves are just not fun.

I think these games were fun for the times but they show their age BADLY. SSX 2012 was a terrible attempt at bringing the series back. I honestly think the future of the snowboarding genre lies in games like Steep despite its rough edges at the moment.

Curious if anyone else felt the original big three SSX games were overrated in retrospect? For the record i LOVED Tricky at the time and thought it was the GOAT snowboarding game.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:06 pm  Post subject: Re: anyone went back and play SSX3/Tricky and not like it?  
Zoe's #1 Fan
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX Blur: Racing: #2
  • SSX Blur: Overall: #3
PSN: PabloYeti
hi filetofreshfish

I've got to say, I can go back and play SSX3 at any point and still feel that its amazing. Everything from the sound to the graphics design I just like to listen too and look at. Im in search of a PS2 at the moment so I have a machine to play it on should mine finally die.

Tricky is a great game as well, I have always found it difficult to go back to this and the first SSX did its job by helping to get the other games created.

As for new games like Steep. I really dont like what they offer and lost interest really quickly. I like the arcade feel of a game, Steep etc is more like a sim, and if youre playing a sim then just go out and do it if you can. Much in the sense of Gran Tourismo, Id much rather have a Burnout game.
SSX 2012 was a nice addition to the set so far (hopes), but it doesnt hit the heights the older games hit.

Overrated - no way :) but everyines view is different

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:06 am  Post subject: Re: anyone went back and play SSX3/Tricky and not like it?  
PSN: jonipooon
That's interesting.

I can go back and play both Tricky and 3 any day after several years of non-play and be occupied for hours. While Tricky gets old quite fast, the tracks are still incredible and the characters are just too much fun. When it comes to SSX3, it's still a very replayable game that lives up to today's standards. Saying that the developers were lazy when making the game couldn't be more far from the truth, the time and effort that went into making SSX3 was huge and it still remains the game in the SSX series with the highest production value today.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:49 am  Post subject: Re: anyone went back and play SSX3/Tricky and not like it?  
I mean, I disagree with the sentiment in general, but I really gotta say I don't feel you on this;

filetofreshfish wrote:
(lets be real no one is racing on tokyo megaplex or alaska for fun)

I loved both those tracks personally, and whenever I boot up Tricky, those two are usually the first ones I go for. But to each their own, if you didn't enjoy them, fair enough. What bits about them do you dislike?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:36 pm  Post subject: Re: anyone went back and play SSX3/Tricky and not like it?  
PSN: Emu90
I like them. Especially the all peak races in SSX 3 have nothing equivalent in SSX 2012 and the music was way better. But I always wish I had a rewind button or a wingsuit in some situations for the older titles.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:38 am  Post subject: Re: anyone went back and play SSX3/Tricky and not like it?  
TrickyEmu wrote:
I like the best weight loss pills and use them. Especially the all peak races in SSX 3 have nothing equivalent in SSX 2012 and the music was way better. But I always wish I had a rewind button or a wingsuit in some situations for the older titles.

I definitely know that feeling. Some games that I absolutely loved back in they, I couldn't play more than 5 minutes nowadays. But it's not necessarily the game's fault. It's a combination of so many things. I do still like the SSX3 though.

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]