Switch to full style
Forum for Games and Chit-Chat topics. Lightly Moderated.
Post a reply

Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:09 pm

Hello, I'm just curious about copyright so I don't do anything that can get me in trouble. So I have a few questions:

1.) How do I know what content I can use and what I cant?
2.) I put music in my YT vids, but I put the artist name. Is that okay?
3.) How do I know what content has copyright material and which doesn't?
4.) Is it okay to use any image from google images but give credit to the website?

Thats my questions, but anything you know about copyright is appreciated because I don't know anything about copyright.

Thank you,
Nigel

Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:43 pm

Hi Nigel.
Just saying, you're not alone about the confusion about copyright. Time ago, I didn't really understand it until I've looked over it enough to get the full picture.

To answer your questions:
1. To look over material that you don't know are copyrighted, check the copyright records. You can find them on the internet and I think they may have some records in libraries too. Just type in 'copyright records' and there should be some records for patents, trademarks and etc. for other's property.

If there isn't any records of said property then you're basically free to use it to your own will; it'll be best to ask the original property owners first on their behalf before you use it.

2. Yes, definitely. In fact it's very important for you do so. You'll need to give full credit whenever it's given. It's not really a certain guideline but it is best to show appreciation towards the original owners of the material you're using.

If you were like using the material for profit or promotion then it can become a big deal as you are gaining something with materials that you, yourself, did not create nor own.

3. See answer to Q. 1 (you're basically asking the same question)

4. Uhhhh... that depends. Like I've said about question 1, check the copyright records. To what I know, people mostly make the images in order to show the world like on photo hosting sites and such. Some images have what are called 'watermarks' mostly scattered around the image showing where the source came from or something else.

If you really need to do it then do it. It's not an issue. If it was me for individual artists or something other than a image from a photo hosting site, I would give credit. You know what I mean?

Sorry if I'm being too confusing but yeah, that's it I guess. I think someone else would post a reply better than this one but that's the best I've got.

Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:32 pm

SSX_Nigel wrote:Hello, I'm just curious about copyright so I don't do anything that can get me in trouble. So I have a few questions:

4.) Is it okay to use any image from google images but give credit to the website?

Thats my questions, but anything you know about copyright is appreciated because I don't know anything about copyright.

Thank you,
Nigel

1) In general any content that is not specifically labeled as "Public domain" or "Creative Commons", you can't use. Any other content is automatically protected by copyright even if it doesn't have a (C) on it.

2) By law, we're not allowed to do that. That would be infringing on the rights. In reality, when for example a commercial or a show uses a song ,they license the song. They pay the label money (a big sum maybe $3000 or maybe even $500k) based on how many people will hear that music. This is called royalties. The same applies to venues, stores and radios, they all pay royalties as well. :)
BUT, on YouTube it has become culture to just use songs because back in 2005-2007 we could get away with it cause nobody cared. But, now since YouTube has so many visitors the labels are really strict about it. In most cases though, YouTube has made a deal with labels that as long as all the profits of the video go to the label you can use the music. What will happen when you use a song and YouTube recognizes the song is they will list the song at the bottom and all the ads in your video will go towards Google and the music label that has the rights to that song.
So, no. Artist name doesn't do much. If you get away with it it's either they have a deal or they haven't caught you yet.

3) Like I said all music is by default copyright unless the creator of the music says it is creative commons. Yes, even free music can be copyrighted. When you hear music in the background of YouTube partners it's because Google provides them with a library of royalty-free music.

4) Images and music have one interesting exception though and that will answer your 4th question. You can use an image or a short snippet of music for the benefit of the public (education, non-profit mostly). So some people will put "for promotional use only" in their description box. But, like I said they are just lucky not to be caught.

If you ask me personally. It's a trial and error. In general, no, it's not legal. But, then again nobody has the money to go after every single one of us so you might get away with it. From experience, beware of any music from Warner Music Group. They will put a strike on your account right away. After 3 strikes you are banned from YouTube.

Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:01 am

TrickyEmu's your guy to listen to.

For question 2 I answered it in terms of non-copyrighted material. For use of promotion then yes, you'll need to purchase a licence which can be limited to what you can use the material for.

You'll need to have granted permission from the labels and/or the artists in order to use in your videos for personal gain or promotion.

Don't be worried though if you make a mistake on YouTube. The only thing you'll get as a punishment for a channel which isn't monetised is a copyright claim telling you to mute the music (using YouTube's editor), delete the video or use advertising near your videos. This isn't a big issue.

If you were a channel where you get paid (YouTube partner) then you'll be in big trouble. This could result in a court case or a fine for your actions. This will then add a strike towards your YouTube account. 3 strikes and you're gone for good.

Also please watch out for false copyright claims. For example if you had a licence for a song to use on your video from a label and you get a copyright claim towards you account from a different label, you have the right in order to show evidence that it's not their own property.

Don't do this for copyrighted music though because even if you aren't monetised, you'll probably get the same punishment to those who are (fine, court and strike).

Dunno why but it feels like I'm blurting out bullshit. Can someone please put me in place of what I'm saying is true?

Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:01 am

Hey guys, thank you, but I am still a bit confused about music. On my channel, none of my videos are monetised, but I add remixed music. I put the artist and song name in the description, so is that okay? TrickyEmu probably answered this question, but i'm still a bit confused. Ill probably just mute all my vids to play it safe, but I want to know what is legal and what is not.

Thank you,
Nigel

Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:45 pm

Hi,

even remixed music actually requires permission of the artist or the parties that hold the rights to the music. The thing is, if you don't monetize it and you remixed it yourself and it doesn't really sound like the original, nobody will go after you. They only go after you if you plan on making money off a remix. If the remix is an official remix by someone else, they can still give you a copyright strike.

That was the one thing they took down from my YouTube channel. I had Le Knight Club remix of David Guetta's "Stay". David Guetta took it down cause that remix is on his single CD. But, if it's a remix by a nobody (no offense) or by you and you're not famous, meh. Ain't nobody going to go after your remix.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:52 pm

The red text is me .

SSX_Nigel wrote:Hello, I'm just curious about copyright so I don't do anything that can get me in trouble. So I have a few questions:

Check the copyright sht.
All Rights Reserved means you can't use it. Period.
No Rights Reserved means you can use it as many times as you want.
CC Attribution Means You can only use it if you credit the person.

No. Except if it is Royalty Free Music or asked permission from the artist.

Question 1.

Yes except IF IT IS ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Thank you,
Nigel

PS Copyrighted sht cannot be used on YT Vid Editor.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:21 pm

PeacefulJarl, thanks for answering my questions very simply. I will private all my runs with music for now, and try to find a way to mute the audio without re-uploading. I wont use any music or anything from now on because i dont wanna risk getting any strikes or any trouble. Im paranoid AF. But thank you for answering =)
Post a reply