Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:39 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:32 am  Post subject: College  
I just finished my freshman year at the University of North Texas and it was probably one of the most belittling, draining, but interesting experiences. My academic advisor put me in the absolute worst direction when selecting classes. I ended up in a physical anthropology science class that consisted of pre med students and seniors (I failed it). As far as my other classes go I made mainly C's and D's finishing out with a GPA of 1.8 (lol). Thankfully, I'll be switching my god awful business major to political science where I won't have a long line of intense math classes.

Aside from the miserable academic experience, college has given me the opportunity to do actual cool shit like play rugby, start a band, do illegal stuff, and believe it or not, play SSX with my suite mate.

In conclusion, college has taught me that college is hard and I should find something else to do, however, being an adult sounds awful so I think I'll tough it out and keep telling myself C's get degrees.

My question for you is;
are you in college?
What did you take this semester/what's your major?
Can I bounce back from this 1.8?
Am I a cliche? ( :yes )

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:53 pm  Post subject: Re: College  
PSN: Emu90
Aww. Freshmen year is always tough especially if you start off at a 4-year school. It will buff right out, bro. Don't worry. It takes a while to learn the different pace of college.

Me?
General Biology. LBSU!!
This Semester: Organic Chemistry + Lab, Evolutionary Biology, Bioinformatics + Lab, Medical Literature.

-Changed my major in senior year. I changed it 3 times FYI (Microbio, Molecular Bio, now Gen Bio) and didn't declare any major until junior year.
-Yes you are a cliche. Don't worry about it. I changed to General Bio to avoid taking Biochemistry which would have killed me.
-Here's my tip: If you can get an easy A, get that easy A. Don't look for a challenge, take the classes where you already know that stuff.

For the next year, you gotta take the really chill classes for your General Ed requirements. Can you tell me what Gen ed requirements you still have to take? I can recommend you stuff that is shit easy and fun.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:52 pm  Post subject: Re: College  
http://catalog.unt.edu/content.php?catoid=11&navoid=741

this is a catalog consisting of main core classes. How was organic chemistry? I have a few friends that are science majors and they say that shit is unbelievably difficult. Thanks for the words of encouragement, it was definitely a rough start but to be honest I'm kind of glad it ended up the way it did. It's given me a lot of perspective and motivation to do better and seek out internships and other stuff like that.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:29 pm  Post subject: Re: College  
PSN: Emu90
Organic chemistry will rip you a new one. You have to stay on top of that shit. I only survived by looking at other chemistry books, and watching all kinds of YouTube videos and doing so many problems. One after another.

Which classes or segments of that core curriculum have you already done (no grades just the names). That would help me see what classes you have to take and I can recommend you some of the good, easy A shit that I had to research to death. Also do you know about rate my professor?

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/campusRatings.jsp?sid=1252

I always check how good the professor is before I register for anything. It changed my life. That's for sure. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:30 pm  Post subject: Re: College  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Rock AG wrote:
My question for you is;
are you in college?

In College - No. But I have earned two degrees so I am well-versed in it.
Majors - first time, journalism. Second time: Graphic Design
Bounce back - yes, but you need to take it seriously. "C's get degrees" isn't taking it seriously. :no If you want a good GPA, use the lessons you learned in your first semester and try harder the next time. When I went to college during my first degree, I was surprised by how difficult it was and how much studying I had to do on my own. My first semster GPA was 2.8, which was awful for me. The next semester, I tried harder and used the lessons I learned the first time to remember to study more. I "balanced it out" with a 3.4 my next semester. I buckled down and did the work I needed to do to succeed. The next time, I tried harder from the very start. My GPA after my first two terms was 3.8.
Are you a cliche? Only if you want to be. It sounds like you're making the decision already to "be a cliche" by telling yourself that "school isn't for me." Rock, if you aren't serious about, quit sooner than later. The only thing bad about dropping out is doing it after you've wrapped up THOUSANDS of dollars in useless debt taking classes you were never serious about. Going to college these days is waay too expensive to be ambivalent about. You'll be paying this debt off the rest of your life, and you can't write it off in bankruptcy. That shit WILL follow you your whole life, so be serious about it.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:36 pm  Post subject: Re: College  
I'm going to Maine College of Art this fall and I gotta kick GPA butt to keep my scholarship. I'm not too worried though, I finished high school with above a 4 so as long as I keep working hard and study I think I'll do fine.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:38 pm  Post subject: Re: College  
I appreciate the honesty, Gondee

I'm enrolling in a community college this summer to knock out some summer classes. Throughout the year I was dealing with the divorce of my parents so that was extremely distracting and fucked a lot of my motivation up. However, I really do feel an education as well as a college experience is super important. My GPA might not reflect it, but I've learned a lot about myself and being independent. Also if it weren't for college I wouldn't be going on tour this summer with my band so that's a plus.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:43 am  Post subject: Re: College  
PSN: MistressWiggle
I started a degree with the Open University this February. Part-time it'll take me 6 years, but I'm hoping to go full time at some point.

The course name is IT Computing and Design. It's the first time I have studied since I left college and got three A Levels in 2008. I'm really enjoying it so far.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:31 pm  Post subject: Re: College  
Rock AG wrote:
My question for you is;
are you in college?

Late as hell response, but I figured being new to the whole collegiate scene, I'd drop in to hear advice from anyone who's up for giving it to me, haha. To answer the questions:

Yep. I left school early to take a part-time college course so I can focus on learning acoustic guitar/singing to make a career out of music.
I'm taking an assisted programmes course for a couple reasons, mostly that it doesn't take too much time out of the week and if my music hopes fail, I can fall back on a "regular" job.
I'm not American, but that sounds sucky though. I'd say nothing's impossible. :thumbsup
Nah. You're you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:42 pm  Post subject: Re: College  
XBL: Morph Phoenix
NA wrote:
I started a degree with the Open University this February. Part-time it'll take me 6 years, but I'm hoping to go full time at some point.

The course name is IT Computing and Design. It's the first time I have studied since I left college and got three A Levels in 2008. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Very similar to me. I left college in 2008 but went straight to uni to do a Web Computing degree, left in my second year to move to Ireland (big mistake) and I moved back to the UK late 2012. I done a year of a Psychology course last year to get a feel for studying again. I'm in the process of transfering my credit over from my first degree attempt so I can finish it with the open university in IT.

It'll be part-time, but will hopefully complete the last year full time.

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]