Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:16 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Rate 2014!
1 (terrible) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2 (pretty crappy) 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
3 (so-so, or lots of ups and downs) 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
4 (good) 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
5 (awesome) 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 12
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:49 pm  Post subject: Year-End Personal Wrapups  
I thought it would be fun to recap the year of 2014 with our favorite things of the year, highlights, lowlights, stuff like that. Try to elaborate a bit, too! ;) I'll start.

Game of the Year: Infamous Second Son for its awesome world and characters
Movie of the Year: Captain America: The Winter Soldier for being the best-paced action movie I've ever seen
Book of the Year: I only read old books. :'(
Song of the Year: Shake It Off by Taylor Swift for being so darn catchy!
Album of the Year: Play by Akdong Musician for two teenagers creating something beautiful all by themselves
Show of the Year: RIP Red Band Society for representing sick and disabled teens like myself
Most Hearbreaking Thing: The Black men we lost this year in America. Having to accept that we aren't much better than we were fifty years ago.
Most Uplifting Thing: People standing up this year to not take any crap, whether it was the continuation of the Black Lives Matter movement and the protests across the country, this year's feminist revival, or smaller things like The Gate That Shall Not Be Named forcing us to take a stand against harassment and misogyny in gaming.
Personal Lowlight: Dropping out of high school
Personal Highlight: Re-enrolling in high school and missing only one day this year!
New Year's Resolution: Get accepted to art school and hopefully pick up some scholarships!

Feel free to add more categories to the list, these were all I could think of. Can't wait to hear what you all have to say about 2014! Happy New Years everyone!! :cheers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:50 pm  Post subject: Re: Year-End Personal Wrapups  
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
Game of the Year: I don't think I played much in the way of new games so I'll say Lego Batman 3, even though it's tedious at times, it's still really amusing and fun. And I still do love me some Minecraft. :D Doctor Who Legacy really came in to it's own this year as well.

(Gaming Lowlight: EA being greedy little shit bags in The Simpsons Tapped Out.)

Movie of the Year: I think I only saw one movie this year and that was the Lego Movie, it rocked. :) I have Grand Budapest Hotel on the dvr, I heard it was fantastic. Will watch it at some point.

Song of the Year: Only Love Can Hurt Like This by Paloma Faith. Bang Your Drum by Dead Man Fall.

Show of the Year: Doctor Who probably. New Doctor, lots of great stories, some meh but that's normal with a season it seems. A fairly decent xmas ep that makes me wonder if some of this past season was just a dream so I'm curious to see where it goes from here. Happy that Jenna is coming back as Clara for season 9.

Show I'm Going to Miss: The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. That man is win. As much as I like James Corden, he's no CraigyFerg. :lol

Show I'm Looking the Most Forward to in 2015: Broadchurch season 2. It starts on Monday in the UK but the US doesn't get it till March. It's gonna be a long two months. :lol :dead It's gonna be hard to avoid spoilers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:58 pm  Post subject: Re: Year-End Personal Wrapups  
XBL: CurryKingDH
PSN: CurryKingDH
Great idea city! :D

Game of the Year: Hmmm, tricky one but i'll say Last Of Us: Remastered (if that counts for this year)
Movie of the Year: I'm with city on Captain America. Guardians of the galaxy is a close second though
Book of the Year: A Visual Journey - Ed Sheeran's book with artist Phillip Butah
Song of the Year: Example - Close Enemies (Jakob Liedholm remix)
Album of the Year: Ed Sheeran's X with Coldplay's Ghost Stories a close second
Show of the Year: I watched Breaking Bad this year soooo that counts
Most Hearbreaking Thing: Helping a friend through depression. Lots of complicated situations made things very tense and stressful but everything is all good nowadays thankfully.
Most Uplifting Thing: Simply spending time with the peeps I love, just little things like playing games with friends through the summer
Personal Lowlight: Getting frustrated too many times at things that I can't change and then how i dealt with that
Personal Highlight: The gigs I went to (Ed Sheeran and Example) as well as Reading Festival
New Year's Resolution: To be as happy as I can and keep being me :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:52 pm  Post subject: Re: Year-End Personal Wrapups  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Fun topic city! :cheers

Game of the Year: Dragon Age Inquisition by a landslide
Movie of the Year: probably Guardians of the Galaxy. tbh there weren't any runaway favorites of mine
Show of the Year: House of Cards (probably from last year but my fave this year)
Most Hearbreaking Thing: the bullshit budget bill Congress just passed that reopened trading of derivatives again (financial collapse, here we come!)
Most Uplifting Thing: Personal stories of bravery throughout the year
Personal Lowlight: being stuck at my dead end job for most of the year
Personal Highlight: finally getting a new job in November, putting in my two weeks at said dead-end job
New Year's Resolution: get a roommate and start making some big life actions this year. :yes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:27 pm  Post subject: Re: Year-End Personal Wrapups  
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX Blur: Racing: #3
  • SSX 3: Overall: #3
PSN: obiwahnshinobi
Neat thread, I'm game.

Game of the year: BLPS or Brothers

Movie of the year: Mediocre year for movies, but I guess X-Men

Worst movie: Transformers

Show of the year: Suits

Show looking forward too: Better Call Saul

Most heartbreaking: Static-X singer Wayne Static died. :(

Most uplifting: I got a lot of time to spend with family over the holidays.

Personal lowlight: My Grandma's stroke. :[

Personal highlight: Newer job with way less stress. :D

(19:57:20) gondee: how does one master the dweeng

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:41 pm  Post subject: Re: Year-End Personal Wrapups  
(I don't read a lot of recent books.)

Game of the Year: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Movie of the Year: The Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies
Song of the Year: Beck - Blue Moon
Album of the Year: Pixies - Indie Cindy
Show of the Year: Body of Proof
Most Heartbreaking Thing: My dog died. Hit by a car in front of my own eyes. Distressing stuff.
Most Uplifting Thing: Tie between coming out to parents and guy I've been crushing on for a while asking me out.
Personal Lowlight: Same deal as Hearbreaking.
Personal Highlight: Same deal as Uplifting.
New Year's Resolution: Be the best friend I can to all of my friends, and provide support when needed. Also, learn hardware repair.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:15 am  Post subject: Re: Year-End Personal Wrapups  
XBL: Joshie2499
PSN: Joshie2499
Meh...

Game of the Year: Farcry 4

Movie of the Year: I'm not sure. It's between X-Men Days of Future Past, Guardians of the Galaxy or Lucy

Book of the Year: What's a book? xD

Song of the Year: I'm not sure. It's between Centuries by Fall Out Boy or Rude by Magic!

Album of the Year: Nobody buys albums anymore xD

Show of the Year: I don't watch TV

Most Hearbreaking Thing: Finding out my favourite legends died in 2014. We've had Robin Williams, Roger Lloyd Pack, Joan Rivers, Richard Attenborough, Rik Mayall and most missed of all would be Ralph H. Baer, the godfather of video games. Other heartbreaking intense events such as the cafe shop siege in Australia, killings from a pub in Devon and the deaths of many from the Ebola epidemic in West Africa.

Most Uplifting Thing: I'm not sure about anything uplifting about 2014 except for mostly the charities helping to aid in Ebola victims.

Personal Lowlight: I've failed to find a girlfriend this year. (I don't understand, I look hot)

Personal Highlight: My most personal highlight is learning to play the guitar. I've always thought it's hard to play but now that I've been learning how to play it, it seems very easy. Other highlight is adopting my new puppy!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:34 pm  Post subject: Re: Year-End Personal Wrapups  
PSN: Kubi-ssx
Game of the year: Far Cry 4, absolutely loved it. (GTA V remastered is that counts)

Movie of the year: I didn't watch many movies this year. I guess The Interview was good.

Book of the year: Um...

Song of the year: >good music in 2014

Album of the year: Ditto.

Show of the year: I don't watch TV at all, and I don't watch any series online. Just YouTube series, none of which are new.

Most heartbreaking thing: My mother telling me she needs to figure out where she went wrong with raising me when I came out as an atheist.

Most uplifting thing: Finally being able to decide which subjects I want to do in school. It's a fantastic feeling, something I've been looking forward to since primary school (I'm 15 now).

Personal lowlight: See most heartbreaking thing.

Personal highlight: Does not majorly fucking up with something count? :heh Because I managed to mess up practically every year.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:30 pm  Post subject: Re: Year-End Personal Wrapups  
OMG GUYS WE ARE SO DROPPING THE BALL ON BOOKS :lol

CurryKingDH wrote:
Game of the Year: Hmmm, tricky one but i'll say Last Of Us: Remastered (if that counts for this year)

Totally counts, great choice, too! Was my 2013 GOTY. And holy crap at seeing Ed Sheeran and Example, that's sick dude!!!

Baron von Gikkigen wrote:
Most Uplifting Thing: Tie between coming out to parents and guy I've been crushing on for a while asking me out.

omg congrats Baron!!!!! *cries in her forever alone corner*

SpoofFilmsinc wrote:
Personal Lowlight: I've failed to find a girlfriend this year. (I don't understand, I look hot)

See, this is more like it. Story of my life. :heh :cheers

btw, I'm only part way through Infamous First Light but I already know that's what I have to change my GOTY to. Improves on ISS in every conceivable way.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:50 am  Post subject: Re: Year-End Personal Wrapups  
XBL: CurryKingDH
PSN: CurryKingDH
citylights wrote:
Totally counts, great choice, too! Was my 2013 GOTY. And holy crap at seeing Ed Sheeran and Example, that's sick dude!!!

I'd been listening to Ed since 2008 but I'd never made it to a show back when he was unknown so I finally got myself to his massive arena tour. It's still weird now to see him as such a big artist nowadays.
It was the 2nd time i'd seen example. First was a big arena tour and we had to get seated tickets because standing had sold out :( This time was a much smaller venue that felt like a proper old school rave. Ended up 2 rows from the front :woot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:04 pm  Post subject: Re: Year-End Personal Wrapups  
Movie of the Year: Bill Burr's I'm Sorry You Feel That Way special. I just saw it last week. Bill never disappoints. What an artist. Can't say I've watched many movies.

Here's the whole special...

Book of the Year: I don't read books. I'll be honest. No fucking attention span. Maybe I just need to find shit I actually like. But then you gotta buy it and shit... :heh I do have a book that I really want to read now because it was a big part of one of my classes last semester. It's called Notes from the Underground. I just took notes like a crazy motherfucker while he was lecturing about what the book was about and then spit em back on the test. I did well. I do wanna read that though. Sounds interesting.

Here's the cover of the book I didn't read...Image

Song of the Year: Hideaway by Kiesza. The music video is cool too, with her dancing around and shit. They got some cool moves. What a feel good jam.

Best hip-hop song: Lil Wayne - Believe Me (feat. Drake)

Album of the Year: D'Angelo - Black Messiah

Can't say I've heard a lot of albums that came out this year. I did enjoy Black Messiah a lot. D'Angelo is great and it's nice to hear him again. His voice really gets lost in the sauce on this album a lot but it works with the music. I've only given it like 5 spins so far. Sugah Daddy is really good.

Favorite album I heard for the first time in 2014: Hey... it was new to me, right?

Funkadelic - One Nation Under a Groove. Wow. What a fucking album. This shit rocked my world. It's so creative. The songs push boundaries in ways I hadn't heard before. Groovallegience really made me go "Damn!" when I first heard this on the train home. Then Promentalshitbackwashpsychosis Enema Squad is just so damn intense and interesting. That song definitely made me realize I was in for something else. That driving guitar could go on and on. And I could too. And then the shit being said on it is definitely a trip. Had quite a few incredible moments happen with this album. ;) Shit really changed me. Me being on some oooOooOoOOoother shit and throwing this on a few times last year really made this shit resonate. Also, the live version of Maggot Brain by Michael Hampton, the new young guitarist of the band at the time, is definitely a soaring highlight.

Here's Groovallegience:

Best rock ballad I first heard this year (Is this too obnoxiously specific? For what it's worth, I listen to a lot of 'em.): The Rolling Stones - Memory Motel

Show of the Year: The Meltdown with Jonah and Kumail on Comedy Central. A great show that shows stand up comedy being done in a comic store and the back stage antics. The hosts are funny. Great comics like Moshe Kasher and TJ Miller were on it. The hosts are funny too. I couldn't find any videos of comedians I like a lot on YouTube. I did find this interview of Conan interviewing Jonah and Kumail.

Personal Lowlight: Sticking by friends who are going nowhere and doing nothing positive with their lives for too long.

Personal Highlight: Deciding I'm not going to do that anymore. "Nao se aprende nada". Ya don't learn shit doin that. I want to expand. Grow. Also quitting smoking after smoking around a pack every other day for 5 years. Improving communication with the family and being myself around them. Also graduating.

New Year's Resolution: Move out and get a full time job. Or, rather, get a full time and then move out :lol Gotta think about expenses and all that adult shit. It's bout to hit me like a sacka bricks. Also stop biting my fuckin nails. But I already know that ain't happnin.

great thread, city.

2015 will be good if I'm good, ultimately. Well you do got shit you can't control like unforeseen weather and medical stuff... What can you do but be as good you can? It's easy to talk. You gotta put shit it in action. We all rely on each other.

I hope everyone has a good year!

Last edited by Khalpz on Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:56 pm  Post subject: Re: Year-End Personal Wrapups  
PSN: MistressWiggle
City this is a great idea, really positive and uplifting.

Game of the Year: Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire - enjoying them so much considering the first time they came out I hated them.
Movie of the Year: I can't even remember what came out this year tbh :/
Book of the Year: I read almost nothing this year - ashamed.
Song of the Year: Your Body is a Battleground by Delain. Really powerful opening single. This year was fantastic for new albums.
Album of the Year: Space Police, Defenders of the Crown by Edguy. Waited forever for this and then when it arrived I was totally caught off guard by how amazing it was.
Show of the Year: American Horror Story: Coven
Most Hearbreaking Thing: IDK, I'm not really affected by much in the news tbh :/
Personal Lowlight: This year was actually really good for me so nothing.
Personal Highlight: Losing 66lbs and looking the best I've ever looked in the past 10 years.
New Year's Resolution: Keep going with my healthy lifestyle and keeping fit, lost that last bit of weight and build more muscle, concentrate hard on my new distance learning course and stay on course for planning my wedding now I'm engaged.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:25 pm  Post subject: Re: Year-End Personal Wrapups  
NA, I'm so happy to hear that you've had such a great year!! It sounds like you've accomplished a lot, so congrats! :cheers I hope next year is even better, especially considering you have a wedding to plan holy crap!! <3

Thanks to everyone participating itt, it's been great reading all of your responses! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:34 am  Post subject: Re: Year-End Personal Wrapups  
PSN: MistressWiggle
I lied actually, I remembered in bed last night about the two Malaysia aircrafts and Air Asia craft that were lost this year and that was most definitely heartbreaking.

Thanks City. Lot of people were all so long 2014 and bashing all over it and I was like but it was a great year...

It was lovely to see what the rest of you have gotten up too as well! Thanks for sharing everyone.

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]