Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:11 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:08 am  Post subject: Any Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer fans?  
PSN: Endemism
For those of you still hoping for a Freelancer 2 and maybe not have come across this yet:

http://robertsspaceindustries.com/

Let's just say I'm currently busy in a new forum. Mission commission out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:00 am  Post subject: Re: Any Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer fans?  
PSN: Eeeyore
Loved Wing Commander to bits all those years ago, on the PC, great game.

Just signed up, lets see what it brings!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:08 am  Post subject: Re: Any Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer fans?  
PSN: Emu90
Sonnergard you sumbich. I love you, man. Freelancer is one of my top 3games.I wish Msoft did a sequel. The site requires an access code on my mobile. :/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:51 pm  Post subject: Re: Any Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer fans?  
TrickyEmu wrote:
The site requires an access code on my mobile. :/

Have you recieved the verification email after signing up? If so, and you clicked the link, note that the URL goes something like this: http://roberts.....ies.com/activate/?key=jaglkge9a8y... You probably ended up on the /activate page without getting the key across. Just copy everything after "?key=" in the URL, paste it in the activation code field, and you should be good to go.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:01 pm  Post subject: Re: Any Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer fans?  
Oh, no. Got it now. Thanks Sonnergard. So stoked. :woot :woot What (other) forum are you part of? I visit the Starport here and there.

Remember they had to rush Freelancer in the end because Microsoft didn't want to spend more money on it. It was supposed to have a dynamic economy and a lot more RPG elements. As if the original Freelancer wasn't big enough already. I wish it was like back in the day when thousands of games would cruise the Sirius system. I have yet to find a space shooter that is exactly like Freelancer. Screw Eve Online. :glare

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:30 pm  Post subject: Re: Any Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer fans?  
Happy it works. :thumbsup I'm not part of any other FL community, right now. Check in on the Starport every now and then, used to frequent Lancer's Reactor back in the days, but most of the time I just play single player with different mods. Mostly Discovery GC or Crossfire (I really recommend both if you haven't tried them).

Yeah, thing with Freelancer was that Chris' ambitions with the project was VERY big. It was planned for release in 2000, but later postponed untill 2001, as they weren't finished. Somewhere down that road they had to look at ways of getting more fundings. They sold Digital Anvil to Microsoft, Chris left the company but continued on the project as a consultant. Before selling Chris trusted that "Microsoft would not compromise his vision for Freelancer" (quote Wikipedia), but they instructed the team to be realistic and wrap the project up.

Wikipedia compiles a few of the things they wanted to make with Freelancer. "Features such as the automated flight control, conversations that had different choices of responses, and sub-quests were abandoned." Imagine how cool it would be with a non-linear story.

Looking back at these ambitions Chris Roberts had, and the reason he left the gaming industry 10 years ago, "I had become frustrated with the limits of the technology at the time to realize my vision", I'm getting massively stoked that he's back in business.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:46 pm  Post subject: Re: Any Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer fans?  
I am more than stoked. What was your favorite system in Freelancer? It is one of the few games that really felt sci fi.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:17 am  Post subject: Re: Any Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer fans?  
TrickyEmu wrote:
What was your favorite system in Freelancer? It is one of the few games that really felt sci fi.

Ohh, that's hard to answer. I always felt at home in the New York system (obviously), but since this is where you start off there's not much action going on. I tend to spend my time in the Kusari space. Kyushu, Hokkaido, New Tokyo, and some of the connected Sigma and Tau systems. I love the gas nebulas in Kusari, makes it an enjoyable space to cruise in, apart from the gritty and dark Rheinland. ;) Your favourite system? What ship did you prefer?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:06 am  Post subject: Re: Any Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer fans?  
I love the Kusari system too. The colors of the nebulae simply got me. But, I love to hang out in the border regions like Omega 51 and stuff.

I would tell you my favorite ship if I knew the English name of it. Ummm the best ship that the zoners offer. You know which one I mean? It can do quicker turns than the others. And I would equip it with experimental weapons that drain all the energy.

I did some exploring early this year and I still find completely new stations and even planets. All I can say is that Freelancer was huge.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:57 am  Post subject: Re: Any Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer fans?  
You probably mean the Eagle?

I think it's sold on Freeport 9. Yeah, I like that one as well, great maneuverability compared to other Very Heavy Fighters. My favourite, though, must be the Hammerhead. It's the Bounty Hunter ship, upgraded version of Piranha and Barracuda. Statistically, it's weaker than the Eagle, but have the same turning speed, so compared to the Sabre (Outcasts' best ship) and the Titan (Corsairs' best ship) it's not that great. But I like the quickness of it over armor/shield and weapon systems, and the looks of it is perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:22 am  Post subject: Re: Any Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer fans?  
I always wanted to know where to get the freaking Hammerhead. I just couldn't find it. And yes, I meant the eagle. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:13 pm  Post subject: Re: Any Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer fans?  
Major update today, Chris Roberts had an hour at GDC2012. Recorded livestream here: http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=roberts_space_industries_gdc_panel20121010

The main website is updated now, as well. Apart from that their servers currently can't handle the many visitors it started getting today, try to check this page. It sums up what this game is all about in a trailer and talk by Roberts, and some FAQ. http://robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/ If you can't access it right now, Rock Paper Shotgun released a very interesting interview today. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/10/wing-commandeered-chris-roberts-star-citizen-preview/

Lets just say I'm very thrilled and already contributed to kickstart this beauty of a game.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:40 pm  Post subject: Re: Any Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer fans?  
I saw that. :woot Stoked. Wanted to contribute through Kickstarter but the servers went bananas.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:12 pm  Post subject: Re: Any Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer fans?  
Thank you for this, Sonnergard. I would never have known about it if it wasn't for you. Got myself a Green Citizens Card. i think it's worth the money. This year is awesome so far. All my favorite old-time games are back.

Rayman 3 HD, SSX 2012, Pikmin 3, new Freelancer thing announced. The only thing that would top it off is if Nintendo announced a new F-Zero and Massive was working on a new Ground Control. I would pass out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:07 am  Post subject: Re: Any Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer fans?  
Glad you like it as much as I do! :china It was pure luck that I found out about this as well. I've googled "freelancer 2" every year since Freelancer was released back in 2003, and the 11th of September I found a thread on a gaming forum talking about a new site with an announcement from Chris Roberts.

Thinking about it , 2003 was a good year. Freelancer _and_ SSX3, that's basically games in a nutshell for me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:54 am  Post subject: Re: Any Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer fans?  
The pledging is now past $1 000 000! They also have started a pledging over on Kickstarter, for those who prefer that. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:16 pm  Post subject: Re: Any Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer fans?  
Very happy about that. Looks like we will shoot past the goal. They said if they get more than that, they will add more content to the game and be able to speed up development.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:37 pm  Post subject: Re: Any Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer fans?  
PSN: TaysteChampion
Wing Commander (maybe Wing Commander 2? I forget) was one of the first games I ever played! The one with the dripping water with bucket in the (I think) save game room :D the characters were so awesome! Remember the evil bunnies? Haha...Killrathi? Man what a classic. Oh and when you finished a level they all shot guns into the air in celebration :D omg the music!!!

I also played Freelancer, although not very much. It was a really immersive game, I guess life happened at the time I was playing it though :|

Another great one I played was Tie Fighter. I played X Wing too, prefered Tie Fighter. Those games were SOOO good, heavily influenced by Wing Commander (exactly the same kind of thing, even the different rooms and people to talk to between missions). Elite was good but that was somewhat before my time. My dad used to play it a lot, he kept a note pad with all the prices that different places sold for trading. My mum got him Elite 2 for christmas but he was really disappointed with it. We loved the graphics but it just wasn't the same.

Definitely looking into this! Thanks for posting.

Sonnergard wrote:
Thinking about it , 2003 was a good year. Freelancer _and_ SSX3, that's basically games in a nutshell for me.

And Theif: Deadly Shadows! Or maybe that was 2004, I forget... either way one of the greatest gaming experiences of my life. :yes Hopeful for Thi4f

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:05 pm  Post subject: Re: Any Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer fans?  
Here some 5 cents that I think is pretty interesting!

http://www.dualshockers.com/2012/10/24/interview-chris-roberts-gives-us-a-glimpse-on-star-citizen-and-squadron-42/

Quote:
Giuseppe: Tell me more of what navigating an unexplored wormhole will entail. The only reference I have is the Wing Commander movie, where Blair has to perform the calculations in an extremely limited amount of time. Will it be something like that, or a method more reliant on piloting skill?
Chris Roberts: It’s certainly not going require doing a bunch of calculations in your head. It’s going to involve piloting skills. It’s kind of hard to describe it, but you can think of it similar to that EA game about snowboarding, and it will be sort of like surfing this “galactic wave”…

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:24 pm  Post subject: Re: Any Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer fans?  
I dunno how to count the money pledged. Is the website number showing the amount of money pledge on the site + Kickstarter or are those separate?

Because if you count the $600,000 on Kickstarter and the $1.4 million on the official website we are past $2 million. :woot :woot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:18 pm  Post subject: Re: Any Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer fans?  
TrickyEmu wrote:
I dunno how to count the money pledged. Is the website number showing the amount of money pledge on the site + Kickstarter or are those separate?

Because if you count the $600,000 on Kickstarter and the $1.4 million on the official website we are past $2 million. :woot :woot

That's very correct! RSI page + Kickstarter is the total, so we are currently closing in on $2.1 million! More detailed stretch goals are going to be published as well, they will look something like this (published on RSI earlier today but they took it down again): http://forums.starcitizenbase.com/topic/300-epic-stretch-goals/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:59 pm  Post subject: Re: Any Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer fans?  
Stretch them goals. :eek But what does he mean by Privateer-like gameplay? Like Freelancer? I have a feeling they are not allowed to mention Freelancer by name because of Microsoft. :lol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:23 am  Post subject: Re: Any Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer fans?  
TrickyEmu wrote:
Stretch them goals. :eek But what does he mean by Privateer-like gameplay? Like Freelancer? I have a feeling they are not allowed to mention Freelancer by name because of Microsoft. :lol

They've not been very consistent with that, no. Sometimes they say Freelancer, sometimes Privateer. I guess it depends which game people remember. :) But yeah, when they say Privateer-like they mean open-world, exploring, i.e. Freelancer.

Edit: Regarding the Freelancer-Microsoft issue, same goes for the Wing Commander series, which is owned by EA. :heh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:47 pm  Post subject: Re: Any Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer fans?  
Thx. I've never seen Privateer so I didn't know what to think of privateer-like features.I hope we get past $4 million. I want to visit 80 systems. It would be totally overwhelming. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:52 am  Post subject: Re: Any Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer fans?  
Lots of new info and concept art being unlocked as the pledge campaign is going on (currently at $3.4 million) so head over to robertsspaceindustries.com and have a read!

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 3 [ 59 posts ]  1, 2, 3