Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:08 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:00 pm  Post subject: Alaska help..  
gondee's FAQ writer
I have a question about SSX Tricky....specifically about the alaska track....for some reason today, I felt the itch to sit down and do the freestyle version of it.....and I managed to take my high score from 1.06 mil to 1.79 mil, with over 450k in wrecks :mad :mad :frusty
Thing is, afterwards I decided to take a look at the walkthroughs in gondee's expert master faq for Tricky, and while they were good, there are alot of parts where better lines exist....so they weren't all that helpful.
My question is whether anyone knows of a really good walkthrough for that track or a good vid (over 2 mil) where I might be able to pick up some hints or ideas.....I am definitely going to set aside time to try and hack into the top 3, but that leaves me a cool million away with my current best score, although I think I can get about 2.3 mil with proper exucution of my current line.... but that still leaves me 700k away from my goal.....
Anyone have any advice...?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:58 am  Post subject:   
SSX: Racing: #1
Clayman
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX: Racing: #1
  • SSX: Overall: #2
damn, you got me here, alaska is such a hard track, i dunno how ppl get 3+ mil on that track, it would take like 4 times the practice than other tracks

the snowflakes are so much harder to get...

i had a good run once, i had like 1.8 mil comin to the end.....

AND MISSED THE LAST 5X, the one that would put me over 2 mil....same thing in garibaldi.....but i cant help.....the track would ruin my ps2 and al my other electronics in my room :heh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:43 am  Post subject:   
gondee's FAQ writer
lol, I had the most fantastic run last night, unfortunately the parts that made it fantastic were complete and utter sheer luck.......twice I fell off a "high road", figured what the heck, might as well do a couple ubers and land, and managed to fall through 5Xs........ and had an absolutely solid run on top of that......2.27 mil :D
The weird thing is my beginning is SSSOOO different from any of the beginnings in the walkthroughs, I would lose 300-400k if I took those routes.... :yes
I have to contribute my much better freestyle skills to SSX3, my previous best for alaska being just over one mil, now in less than 3 hours total, I took it up another 1.2 mil....... lol, now I know what it feels like to be MrChaos or PD~, lol. :heh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:50 am  Post subject:   
Clayman
then maybe you should do a walkthrough of alaska showoff, i mean if ya wanted to, but i wouldnt blame ya if you didnt....the track is the longest in anygame....well besides the peak events :heh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:08 pm  Post subject:   
Happymachines had a vid for about 2.4 million. Not sure if it's still available. Check the master runs page :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:10 pm  Post subject:   
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
There's actually a vid by cry0gen for about 2.7 mil that should have been over 3 mil. That's a good one. I can upload it if you'd like, but I'd have to remove one of the existing videos. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:28 pm  Post subject:   
Clayman
yes gondee please upload it...PLEASE...get rid of the mesa one, its good but your watching more of falling than an actual master run...please upload it :china

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:50 pm  Post subject:   
Gravitude MVP
Alaska was the ONLY course that I was not good at :sad... My top was only 2.4 Million... Pathetic I know :(

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:57 pm  Post subject:   
gondee's FAQ writer
MrChaos wrote:
Alaska was the ONLY course that I was not good at :sad... My top was only 2.4 Million... Pathetic I know :(

oh yeah, pathetic is the word that comes to mind when I think of 2.4 million on alaska...NOT!!!.....I know you are used to top 3 spots, but seriously, 2.4 puts you in the top ten, and how is that a bad thing?
Maybe not your norm, but still better than alot of people, including me, at least for the time being. :)
Is 3 million the highest anyone has gotten? Hope so, cause that is my goal (not that I will ever get there, lol)....... :yes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:45 pm  Post subject:   
someone got 3 million with JP on that course

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:05 am  Post subject:   
It's true, 3 M on this run is possible with work :yes and the CryOgen vid is really interesting to show it's possible :yes especially in the ice tunnel.

In my 2.75 run i missed the first "x5" :mad :mad worth 180 k :mad

I believe only two guys did 3 M : PD~ and GooseBay :eek :eek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:44 am  Post subject:   
The funny thing about Cry0gens vid is that he scores 2.67 mil and misses like 5 reds on the entire course. :eek That right there is probably 500K - so 3.2 is possible with a perfect run.

I'll upload it tonight before I forget. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:00 am  Post subject:   
Very nice vid!! :yes (a pitty the sound has been removed)

Somehow I get the feeling that the Garabaldi showoff record is not gonna last much longer.. :heh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:48 pm  Post subject:   
Clayman
gondee wrote:
The funny thing about Cry0gens vid is that he scores 2.67 mil and misses like 5 reds on the entire course. :eek That right there is probably 500K - so 3.2 is possible with a perfect run.

I'll upload it tonight before I forget. :)

i see what you mean gondee, i gotta give the man props, that would easily break 3 mil, one he missed would've been worth about 250,000+ points :eek ...i didnt even know about how you can go back up on the ice in this one part, i gotta revamp my line a bit, then hopefully i can get a much better score :yes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:07 pm  Post subject:   
gondee's FAQ writer
yeah, that playin around in the ice caves is awesome! I wish I could see the vid at normal speed, but I'm not complaining here either.
The first third of my run is quite different, and actually about 120k more, but unbelievably difficult to pull off, with quite a bit of sheer luck involved......
still, if anyone cares or would be interested, I could write up a line for 3 million plus easily now.
The thing that really suprised me about the vid is besides the 5Xs that he missed, there are two sections that I actually do much better on....about 300k better, but that dude hit a whole slew of 5Xs that I couldn't figure out how to get consistently in the middle third of the track.......
I am going to play around with it some more this coming weekend, but my new and adjusted goal for that track is 3.5 mil, I think it is possible since I can see 3.8 mil as the absolute ceiling.....
thanks so much gondee, that was just what I was looking for..... :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:10 pm  Post subject:   
Clayman
good luck laidback, but i dunno, seems harder than the way you make it sound...

MY 900th post :D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:11 pm  Post subject:   
Quote:
yeah, that playin around in the ice caves is awesome! I wish I could see the vid at normal speed, but I'm not complaining here either.

What's the matter with it? You have the right codec, correct? Is it not playing at the right speed?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:14 pm  Post subject:   
gondee's FAQ writer
Its definitely ALOT harder than just talking about it.....still, I ran a few attempts after watching that vid, I am up to 2.5 mil, and I am still missing three 5Xs and three 3Xs, plus a bunch of places I am now positive I can sneak an extra uber into....I am definitely not going to settle for anything less than 3 mil, I think I might even try and tape it, so that everyone else can see exactly what I am talking about when I say that 3.5 mil and above is definitely possible..... :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:22 pm  Post subject:   
laidback0378 wrote:
Its definitely ALOT harder than just talking about it.....still, I ran a few attempts after watching that vid, I am up to 2.5 mil, and I am still missing three 5Xs and three 3Xs, plus a bunch of places I am now positive I can sneak an extra uber into....I am definitely not going to settle for anything less than 3 mil, I think I might even try and tape it, so that everyone else can see exactly what I am talking about when I say that 3.5 mil and above is definitely possible..... :)

go for it dude

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:44 pm  Post subject:   
When I got the Alaska record, my run could have considerably higher. I used to think 4 million on Alaska was possible. That's probably too outrageous, but definitely somewhere in the mid 3 millions is possible.

PD~

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:56 pm  Post subject:   
gondee's FAQ writer
PD~ wrote:
When I got the Alaska record, my run could have considerably higher. I used to think 4 million on Alaska was possible. That's probably too outrageous, but definitely somewhere in the mid 3 millions is possible.

yeah, compared to alot of the other high scores you have set, this one seems well, less difficult to reach.
This track to me seems at once alot easier and alot more difficult to score well on though. On the one hand, manual resets, time management, and backtracking aren't really utilized much if at all, so things seem alot simpler. But on the other hand, since you can't backtrack, if you miss something, you just miss it, and you are screwed.
Overall, I think this is why I am having a much less difficult time with this track compared to alot of the others, being that the best line is easier to figure out when you don't have to worry about manual resets and the like.
Oh, and I did a single run tonight, got 2.575 mil, still missing alot of stuff though, and I wrecked twice too :frusty :frusty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:19 pm  Post subject:   
I think I had 2.3 million trying to get a Master Run on that track, so after cry0gen's came out I just sort of put it away because he had several very cool ways of getting snowflakes I hadn't thought of yet. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:25 pm  Post subject:   
The most crucial section of the entire course is after that cave that you basically can't do anything in (in the middle of the course after the ice waves). You catch the left rail coming out the cave, do an uber through the x5 (the x5, x3, x2 are stacked on each other), catch the next rail and do 2 ubers through the x5 when reaching the section where you either go left or right with the reverse U walls. You do 2 ubers through the x3 first, make sure you land back on the same side, then come down it again and do 2 ubers through the x5. If you land on the same side again, go all the way back up towards the side you didn't go the first time. If you landed on the other side, you can still hit the powdered snow and go under the grand stands towards the other side. Hit the x3 and x5 flakes with 2 ubers through each just as you did the first side, the make your way down and hit the 2 ubers through the x5 in the middle upper section, immediately turn around and uber through the x3 on either side, hit a character uber through the next x5 in the middle section, then do 2 ubers through the next x5. All this is done in a span of a minute and is probably close to 1.5 million points. If I recall correctly, I go through 16 x5s... crrrazy.

PD~

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:29 am  Post subject:   
gondee's FAQ writer
oh damn, PD~, that is crazy.....in the reverse U wall or whatever you called it, I do the one side, but I didn't even think about doing the other.... and after doing two ubers through the next 5x, I turned around and did one through one of the two 3xs, some reason it didn't occur to me to get that other one either.....

The thing is, my beginning is a little different than that vid....it is the same through the first three 5Xs, but going up that gray rail, I lean to the right, jump before the top and land an uber through the 5X, then stay on that top section, do another really quick uber through the 3X, and then jump extremely early, and if lucky enough you can fall through a 5X that is out of view, doing a triple misty/rodeo and three sad sacks through it.......
Also, I do a misty/rodeo walking the dog through the third 5X in the stage, leaning a little to the left and jumping much much earlier than he does in the vid.....he actually boosts into that 5X.... :???
Between watching that vid at normal speed and your post PD~, I suddenly realize I am nowhere near great at this track.....still sssoooooo much work to do...... :eek And I definitely think I am right when earlier I posted that I thought the max ceiling on this course was around 3.8 mil......heck, I am only at 66% right now..... :frusty
PD~, if I manage to surpass your score, you will bust this track out as it should be done right? I know I am not good enough to hit 3.5 mil, unless I suddenly become the luckiest player in the world or develop prince of persia powers in this game :heh :heh :heh (ie the ability to rewind time)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:46 pm  Post subject:   
If you beat my record, I'll go back to it...

PD~

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 2 [ 40 posts ]  1, 2