Switch to full style
Discuss all subjects about SSX and SSX Tricky here
Post a reply

Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:48 pm

Way back in the original ssx there was an interesting topic on gamefaqs. It talked about going backwards at the beginning of pipedream. If done right you can see that besides your gate, there are 5 other gates all heading in different directions, in a hexagon shape. Like somehow it was supposed to be raced that way. Also if you did it right you could see like under the ground and there was another tunnel underground that you couldnt get to.

anyone remember that or ever figured it out?

Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:07 pm

I read something about an underground location where you couldn't get to, might have been Gondee in his set of "impossible to answer" questions about SSX (Tricky).

Hmm.. I was right, but it was about Snowdream, and about a speedboost... :heh

http://www.merqurycity.com/ssx_forum/vi ... =2499#2499

Still remember reading it somewhere though. Might have been GameFaqs as I cannot find it here.. :)
Last edited by Ettepet on Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:11 pm

Actually, I do remember something like this, though I can't remember if it was Pipedream or another course...it wasn't Snowdream. I believe it was FBX who discovered it.

Why don't you give it a try? I believe you have to sit at the very start for along time, and I thought it was in Tricky as well.

Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:32 pm

I'm pretty sure I remember doing this once a long time ago...it was strange.

Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:58 pm

i member it. I have no idea why they made the gates like that :???

Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:09 pm

Pipe Dream: We used to speculate on GameFAQs that the various gates would be used for future online play. Massive Showoff contest on five Pipe Dream tracks...
The tunnel you could see underneath was actually the one from the left bowl, (with that secret entrance activated by jumping on the Pipe Dream logo, etc,...)

Snowdream: I discovered the speedboost under the start gate and took a screenshot of it.
It can still be seen at:
http://www.merqurycity.com/ssxpages/picturegallery.html
I remember corresponding with Cody Ritchie at the time, here is an excerpt of the interview I conducted with him (and which Gondee and I are still trying to publish, lol!)

<i><b>Cody:</b>Here's a little tidbit for you. I saw somewhere that you had found the power-up icons underneath the track, and that you thought they were leftovers or misplaced ones. Well, they serve a purpose in the game (for technical reasons), and were put there intentionally, but can not be grabbed or used in any way. There's also animating signs and other FX objects placed under there usually. I was hoping not many people would see them, damn that manual replay camera!! ;)

<b>Grandmort:</b>Actually The first thing I thought about when I saw it was that it was placed there on purpose to act invisibly on your character when launching from the gate during a race! (As when running in the World Circuit Mode and when winning some race quarter-finals one will actually start the following semi-final, and final, with plenty of boost! ...sweet sound that boost!) Could that be it? That would make sense to me but I might be totally wrong here... Yes, I saw some signs under there too, LOL!

<b>Cody:</b>Nope, nothing as complicated as that. It's just a technical thing to make the textures scroll on objects in the game, as little trick I used to make it go fast and not eat up any CPU time. The boost stuff is coded in.</i>

:)

Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:16 pm

Holy shit! It's grandmort.

Anyway, I guess I wasn't hallucinating when I did it then because it really does exist. I'm pretty sure I did mine on accident and I was just like, "What the fuck?"

Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:02 am

hello desperado wrote:Holy shit! It's grandmort.

LOL, yeah, thats my reaction too! I believe he had 100 posts about the same time as gondee had 1000! So, he has only posted 4 times since then..... must be watching Bladerunner! Going for the Guiness Book of World Records.... ;P :D
Post a reply