Switch to full style
Discuss all subjects about SSX and SSX Tricky here
Post a reply

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:40 am

Hello folks, I can't really believe it worked, but I managed to replace the board textures with the earlier ones featured in the "Winter 2001 Jampack" Demo version. Take a look at a few examples:

A lot of boards use a blank texture with the word "board" on it as a placeholder. Unfortunately I am unable to unpack the .ssh texture files and replace those with the final boards.
There is a Program called "eagt", but it keeps crashing when I try to open anything but the splashscreen texture :dead :cry

Brodi has almost no textured boards (I think there's 2) Elise, Mac, JP & Kaori mostly (or completely) use their SSX Original boards. And the UBERBOARD looks like the last board before it for each character.

Edit:
Also, Seeiah's board shown in the introduction video is a freestyle one, not an Alpine. (Maybe the texture is linked to the wrong board ? Or Seeiah was an Alpine Character in the beta stages... who knows)

Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:03 pm

Yoooo that's dope dude. Keep it up. This is awesome. :yes

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:18 am

Beta board textures in no particular order:

Eddys beta boards:

Marisol:
(canadian board on a latin character ? possibly linked to the wrong boarder by accident ?):
(this later became a board for Eddy):

Seeiah:

Luther:

JP:

Zoe:

Moby:

Mac:

Psymon:
(this later became a Luther board):

Brodi:

The rest are all placeholder textures (Plain white with "Board 1" to "Board 10" written on them), or simple leftovers from SSX that hadn't been worked on (no boot connectors)

Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:45 am

I also now managed to bring the old Garibaldi pre-release version into the final game.

Here's a preview video of what i've managed to do:

Enjoy :D
(And yeah, my boarding sucked but I havn't played this in a while, especially not with stock characters and boards :D)

Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:20 pm

Look at how narrow those rails are! :woot

This is awesome man. You have no idea how much I wanted to do stuff like this back in the day. :cheers

Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:11 am

The Garibaldi track was still clearly WIP by that point. (Interestingly, the data for the demo release was compiled only around a month before the final game's release)
2 of the "ice pipe" shortcuts are technically there, but they hadn't modeled the entrances to them yet. So you have to drive into a collisionless rock wall to enter them. :D
the long shortcut with the jumps across the River lacks the ice on the uphill section at the end. You can see it in my video but it's rather in the background if you missed it.

There's also a part where either the hitbox for a billboard is way oversized or (more likely) theres collision for fences but no model for those yet.

Snowdream has entirely different rail textures for showoff mode. They are far thicker and sort of "metal" looking. I think they probably wanted to make the rails more noticeable so decided on the ketchup/mayonaise rails instead for the final game.

Since Snowdream and Garibaldi are the only tracks featured in the demo, theres unfortunately no way to see if there had been any other differences on other tracks.

By going through the games data there is one thing I noticed though:
- The demo tracks lack 3 linked sound files/banks. 2 labeled "construction" and 1 labeled "Ufo". So I think the mercury city UFO was either a late addition or it originally had no sound effect. Same with the construction sites.

Some other things of interest:
- It looks like the game was originally going to feature the regular "Space Raiders - Song For Dot" track just like SSX. Because in the beta files, the listed BPM is much lower. If you use the beta BPM setting in the final game, the "It's tricky" jingle is way to slow and goes out of sync.
- Slayboarder is listed as "Slayrmx" in the beta files and I think it also has a different BPM setting. Maybe there was a different version that got scrapped ?
I think there was a third track where the BPM didn't match. Probably one of the Rasmus tracks that got remixed for tricky.

Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:56 pm

Really cool stuff man! Good job :D The thin rails fits really well into the gameplay

Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:37 am

could someone please explain how you guys did this? ive always wanted the beta boards but never knew how to get them.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:08 am

I basically took some files from the "Jampack" Demo CD and inserted them into the final game's files. You need a modded PS2 or emulator to play the resulting .iso

I then had to do some further tinkering (replacing textures within .big archive files) to replace the placeholder board textures with the ones from the final game.

Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:48 am

Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:06 am

There is an unused "action-cam" feature found in the demo build files. It can be brought back and here:s the result : :eek

I'm not sure if there are any other jumps that trigger this.
Post a reply