Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:24 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:48 am  Post subject: "Movie Sample" Quotes  
PSN: CharmyDweeng

"You ever get a ridiculous amount of air on a jump or you’re taking a shortcut, then all of a sudden, you hear this voice-over of some oddly-crpytic quote? And is that not the coolest thing ever? Well, I figured I’d take the liberty of recording as many of these voice-overs as possible (95, in this video) and upload them for my fellow gamers. I’ve also added a download link containing all the audio clips in a .rar archive on MediaFire. Now, I probably could’ve simply ripped the audio from the disc via PSound, but there was no way in hell I was gonna waste time wading through several thousand audio files.

Thankfully, the game’s Options menu allows me to turn off all sfx/music (including a separate setting for UBER Trick sfx) except for MC/narrator speech. This just goes back to a previous post I made about how more games should let you adjust sound/volume settings—I’m really glad the developers give you that option to customize your sounds. The many hours I spent recording these has also made me notice the various contexts which yield them:

Getting really big air on a jump ("We could be on Mars within 24 hours!")
    Entering a secret area/shortcut ("But what you’re doing is mad—it is diabolical!")
    Reaching the end of a secret area ("Had so great a victory been mine, I would have said the same…")
    Resetting your character while in a secret area ("Had you the courage…")

Michael Donovan is credited for these quotes (listed as “Movie Samples” in the game’s credits). Take a look at his filmography—the man seems to get quite a lot of work, mostly guest voices in various cartoons, but still work nonetheless.

Whether or not these quotes are from actual films is still a mystery to me. I tried looking up some of them on various search engines, but I never got any direct results. Who knows—perhaps they’re simply original lines of dialogue recorded and taken out of their nonexistent contexts and put into the game. It kinda reminds me of those old Toonami music videos, where various anime quotes were strung together to drive home a central message. They inspire you, drive you forward—works the same way in this game, as well. It’d almost be a bit pretentious if it wasn’t executed so well.

And it’s executed very well, I’d have to say."

Credit to chaffXgrenade on Tumblr/YouTube for post and video. Big props for this, it is fantastic and I love it. The kind of crazy thing I would do.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:49 am  Post subject: Re: "Movie Sample" Quotes  
Oh man, these used to freak me out so much. They made taking shortcuts feel wicked dangerous. :P Awesome video; it must have taken them a lot of work to put this together.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:38 pm  Post subject: Re: "Movie Sample" Quotes  
PSN: Veckodag
In-game they're well mixed in and adds that extra Tricky flair, but hearing them detached like this it's so fraking amazing and inspiring. :cheers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:36 pm  Post subject: Re: "Movie Sample" Quotes  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Charmy, diggin' up the classics. :cheers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:13 pm  Post subject: Re: "Movie Sample" Quotes  
PSN: CurryBrace
You're going to extract as many voice clips as possible?
"But what you're doing is mad! It's impossible!"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:44 am  Post subject: Re: "Movie Sample" Quotes  
PSN: MistressWiggle
Oh man, I totally hear the Sabretooth voice, I thought I recognised Michael Donovan's name when you posted it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:03 pm  Post subject: Re: "Movie Sample" Quotes  
XBL: CurryKingDH
PSN: CurryKingDH
Damn... that's a lot of work! It's really cool to hear them clearly.

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]