Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:23 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:59 pm  Post subject: Re: Board upgraded. Please report any problems if you spot t  
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
i've been getting them for quite some time now. 99% of the time, a refresh fixes it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:38 am  Post subject: Re: Board upgraded. Please report any problems if you spot t  
XBL: Kaavyn
vix wrote:
i've been getting them for quite some time now. 99% of the time, a refresh fixes it.

The other 1% is 2 refreshes :lol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:27 am  Post subject: Re: Board upgraded. Please report any problems if you spot t  
Attack Duck Owner
yeah, pretty much. :lol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:33 am  Post subject: Re: Board upgraded. Please report any problems if you spot t  
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX Blur: Racing: #3
  • SSX 3: Overall: #3
PSN: obiwahnshinobi
Kav wrote:
I seem to occasionally get Internal Errors pop up, but after refreshing the page it goes away.

I've gotten a few of these since the update too. Like Vix said though a refresh or two solves it. :yes

(19:57:20) gondee: how does one master the dweeng

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:04 pm  Post subject: Re: Board upgraded. Please report any problems if you spot t  
Zoe's #1 Fan
  • SSX Blur: Racing: #2
  • SSX Blur: Overall: #3
PSN: PabloYeti
Obi wrote:
Kav wrote:
I seem to occasionally get Internal Errors pop up, but after refreshing the page it goes away.

I've gotten a few of these since the update too. Like Vix said though a refresh or two solves it. :yes

same here - the gallery seems bit jittery as well

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:08 pm  Post subject: Re: Board upgraded. Please report any problems if you spot t  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Yeah, I don't know what causes them. I'll see if I can find out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:57 pm  Post subject: Re: Board upgraded. Please report any problems if you spot t  
PSN: crispncrunchy
No problems so far for me on Firefox 8.0

edit - no sooner do I say it but I get one :rolleyes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:14 pm  Post subject: Re: Board upgraded. Please report any problems if you spot t  
gondee wrote:
Yeah, I don't know what causes them. I'll see if I can find out.

So after doing some detective work, it looks like we're hitting our memory limit on the server. I have yet to track down what is causing this, but whatever is causing it, something needs to change if we're going to get ready for the upgrade in traffic by the time SSX 2012 comes out. The problem with hitting our memory limit is if you do it too often, our host will shut us down, and that can't be allowed to happen.

This will mean one of two things - either we need to pare down the applications we're using to use less memory or upgrade our hosting. Since I haven't gotten any indication of monetary help when it comes to supporting the hosting costs of the site, we're gonna have to trim down the memory usage of the applications we're using.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:18 pm  Post subject: Re: Board upgraded. Please report any problems if you spot t  
PSN: CHROMANAUT_
i, for one, without a doubt about it will help with monetary bullshit on this site. i love this site too much.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:31 pm  Post subject: Re: Board upgraded. Please report any problems if you spot t  
I appreciate that Tunes. :) But I know you're a college student and I think most of the people are in the same general boat. Anyone who makes enough money to contribute monetarily usually gets married, has kids and stops visiting because real life demands more. (See: Titan, Yoshi, and soon...Obi. :lol ) The problem with the hosting issue is it is MUCH more expensive to "move up". It's basically double to triple the cost depending on what you get (Tunes, I told you the cost I pay up in Vanc, so while if you don't mind keeping that to yourself, you know how expensive that can get.)

So I might have to move some things around to see what I can do on the server. The thing is, when we're not hitting our max in memory usage, we average less than 10% usage. So something's up. Let me do some more work and see if something can be changed. Sometimes something small can add up over time, and maybe doing something inconsequential (like changing the chat line) will help the situation immensely.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:35 pm  Post subject: Re: Board upgraded. Please report any problems if you spot t  
If the chat is a big contributor to any server costs, you could always consider having an official chat that isn't integrated with the site (at least temporarily when SSX comes out)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:48 pm  Post subject: Re: Board upgraded. Please report any problems if you spot t  
I don't know for sure. I suspect the chat uses a lot of memory since I've heard that AJAXChat can be a memory hog. I will probably change it regardless.

But if it's not largely the chat, then we may have to remove the chat to make a little leeway for the things taking up the majority of the memory (say the board and Gallery). In that case, yeah, we'll set up something off-site and link it from our board like we discussed in other topics. It's not an ideal solution but ti will free up what resources it does use for the core of our site which is the bulletin board.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:50 pm  Post subject: Re: Board upgraded. Please report any problems if you spot t  
PSN: crispncrunchy
It sounds like there maybe memory leaks with something you've upgrades. I suggest you research that area. Debugging stuff like this is a pain, only sometimes do you get a definitive answer.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:33 pm  Post subject: Re: Board upgraded. Please report any problems if you spot t  
Attack Duck Owner
Is it me (and I just can't find them) but are the character smilies gone?

:elise

When you look at the page to view em all: posting.php?mode=smilies&f=18 they aren't listed there either.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:43 pm  Post subject: Re: Board upgraded. Please report any problems if you spot t  
character smilies are all placed in brackets.
Code:
[elise]

[elise]

But yeah, they are missing from that window. I wonder why. Will have to check into it. Why does it seem like this list gets longer and longer? :lol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:47 pm  Post subject: Re: Board upgraded. Please report any problems if you spot t  
Attack Duck Owner
i never knew they were in brackets. :lol i don't think i've ever used them before. was trying to find them for reference for something. :lol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:01 am  Post subject: Re: Board upgraded. Please report any problems if you spot t  
:FatassLutherSucks:

Ohwait, square brackets :lol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:09 pm  Post subject: Re: Board upgraded. Please report any problems if you spot t  
Okay, so after some back and forth with our host, I found out the reason why we've been running into so many annoying memory errors. Our host switched us over to a new hosting scheme involving cloud servers. The main problem here is that with this change, hard memory limits were placed upon us that were not there before. I was not aware of this and am not really pleased with the situation.

When Merq was first created, grandmort set up a hosting plan with a personal friend of his. Then we got hacked and had to move to a new host. When I first took over hosting responsibilities for the site, I did my homework and got a hosting plan that would allow for some growth if we ever got busy - the current hosting plan we have now. A normal "shared" hosting plan has hundreds of websites on a server, and very strict resource limits. Our hosting plan limits the amount of websites on a server and is supposed to allow us some leeway during busy times if we need the extra resources.

And for years it's done the trick, I chose well, because the server was set up in such a way that if we needed the extra memory we could use it to service those busy times. The few websites on a particular server shared the memory on that server, and if one website needed extra memory during a time period it would be available. It might slow down the other websites for a while (or even shut down the server if the website went overboard) but it was available if we got busy. But that has changed now. Now we have a set memory limit and if we hit that ceiling, the server simply doesn't complete the request. That's what's causing ALL the problems now. The issues with the chat line, the issues with the board creating 500 Server errors, the problem with the gallery not displaying thumbnails - it's all caused by this ceiling they've instituted without my knowledge.

And the bad news is that with this ceiling, it looks like very little can be done to stay under the memory limit, because the forum is what is driving the memory usage. That's the most important section of the website and if the forum is driving it, that means it's the increase in people visiting the site causing the increase in memory. We haven't been particularly busy the last few days - yet there were times in the last few days when we hit the memory limit for so long that hundreds of server requests were not completed.

Our host has graciously upped our memory limit above the standard by about 25%, and that may help resolve some of the issues for a while, but I don't think it's going to fix it forever, especially once the new game comes out. It might simply be time to upgrade the hosting we have, and if that is going to be required, it may mean several down days for the site. I'm hoping to get a hosting issue that won't be as expensive as putting Merq on it's own server so that I can afford it myself without asking for monetary help. This won't be a sudden decision, and I'll keep you all posted.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:44 pm  Post subject: Re: Board upgraded. Please report any problems if you spot t  
Master Codfish
XBL: bakalhau90
PSN: bakalhau90
Man that's rough to hear... What kind of costs would we be looking at if we were to have our own server?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:55 pm  Post subject: Re: Board upgraded. Please report any problems if you spot t  
3 times what I pay now. It's so expensive it's probably prohibitive. But I've been pointed to some other hosting options that would only be about half again as much as I'm paying now, and I could afford that. I'm hoping that option works out, but I need to find out more about it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:09 pm  Post subject: Re: Board upgraded. Please report any problems if you spot t  
After some back and forth with our host, they've upped the ceiling for our memory by quite a bit, almost doubling it. I think that should help us for right now. I think the server errors should stop altogether with this much memory, so hopefully we won't need to change hosting.

However, if it does start reoccuring, I will change hosting to something that should be able to give us more memory than we have now and allow us to continue to grow without the current headaches we were dealing with.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:40 pm  Post subject: Re: Board upgraded. Please report any problems if you spot t  
Attack Duck Owner
It's good to hear that they worked with you to attempt to fix them doing shit behind your back. :yes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:38 pm  Post subject: Re: Board upgraded. Please report any problems if you spot t  
Zoe's #1 Fan
  • SSX Blur: Racing: #2
  • SSX Blur: Overall: #3
PSN: PabloYeti
gondee wrote:
Anyone who makes enough money to contribute monetarily usually gets married, has kids and stops visiting because real life demands more. (See: Titan, Yoshi, and soon...Obi. :lol )

Still here, so its possible :lol

As for site costs, if it goes that way im sure some of us can help/contribute toward that.

Also, not a problem really but everytime Tunes does a reply post the box goes off the right edge of the page so you cant read the last few words in the sentence but no one elses does?
(ssx3 theme).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:07 pm  Post subject: Re: Board upgraded. Please report any problems if you spot t  
Yeti wrote:
gondee wrote:
Anyone who makes enough money to contribute monetarily usually gets married, has kids and stops visiting because real life demands more. (See: Titan, Yoshi, and soon...Obi. :lol )

Still here, so its possible :lol

As for site costs, if it goes that way im sure some of us can help/contribute toward that.

Also, not a problem really but everytime Tunes does a reply post the box goes off the right edge of the page so you cant read the last few words in the sentence but no one elses does?
(ssx3 theme).

I just switched to the SSX 3 theme and it didn't happen to me. Don't have the problem with the default skin either. It may be your browser (I use chrome)?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:23 pm  Post subject: Re: Board upgraded. Please report any problems if you spot t  
Quote:
(ssx3 theme).

Send me a PM with a screenshot. :)

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 3 of 5 [ 115 posts ]  1, 2, 3, 4, 5