Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:03 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.

Which forum reordering option do you like?
#1 - Move Fan Art & SSX Gen Disc into its own category near the top 48%  48%  [ 12 ]
#1A - Move Fan Art & SSX Gen Disc into the same category as The Playground 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
#2 - Move SSX 2012 to its own category and move Fan Art/Gen Disc below it 40%  40%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 25
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:59 pm  Post subject: Changes to the Forum - Give some feedback about Grav!  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Anyone who's a member at Grav knows that it's an exciting time in the site's history! Given that we're on the precipice of a new era of activity for the site, we've been putting some thought into streamlining the forum to make it easier for people to access the best parts of the site. We've also been discussing some areas where the site is lagging and useless, and we'd like to prune those areas to make sure we're focusing our attention where it counts most.

So we've been thinking about reordering the forums in the Grav Bar since it seems about time to clean house with the new game coming out. We've collected feedback from a few different people and I want to let you know why we're doing it and get your feedback on what you think is the best option.

Here's why we're doing it:
1) The Fan Art & Fan Fiction Studio is languishing at the end of the forum. I don't think most people even recognize it's there most days. It's floundering because it's already the least busy forum and it's in the worst location. We're going to move it up higher in the forum order.

2) There are some redundancies/useless forums that need to be pruned. The News and Rules forum is worthless, largely, since I never update it. The Knowledge Base forum as well is useless, and an product of a bygone time. They will be removed. We're going to move everything up and remove some redundant information on the forum to shorten the length of the page and get people to the information they care about quicker. The Knowledge Base will still be present, but the forum that holds it's articles will be removed.

So with that in mind, there are two options in regards to forum order that I've settled on. I'm not looking for new ideas - I want your feedback on the two I've decided are the best options:

Potential Plans for Forums at Grav:
1) Move the Fan Art and SSX General Discussion into it's own category below the community category.

This would push the Fan Art up higher where it is more prominent and keep the games in their own forum. The downside of this is that the SSX 2012 forum will be further down the overall forum order, but it will still be in the same general position on the page it is now. I have done comparisons and since we'll be removing the Top of the Mountain forums, SSX (2012) is almost the same distance down the page it is now. And as we all know, SSX 2012 is where the activity is, so no matter where we put it it will be busy.

There is also a separate plan we could go with that is similar but a little different, and that is to put the SSX General Discussion and Fan Art Forums in the same category as The Playground and Lodge. Feel free to give feedback on that as well if you'd like.

2) Reorder the forum more drastically based on activity.

This moves the SSX 2012 forum out of the games category to higher than it is now, and moves it 'above the fold'. It also moves the SSX Gen Discussion and Fan Art a little lower but still much more prominent to ensure that they aren't languishing on the ass end of Grav. The downside is that the SSX 2012 forum is separated from the main Games category, but it is higher in the overall order.

Those are the two options, which ones do you guys like?

Other Stuff:

Arcade may be removed.
I am in the process of updating the board, and I am running into problems with the Arcade. At this point, if the Arcade is going to be causing problems, I am 3/4 of the mind that it is time for it to go. The Arcade is hardly used at all, and some of the games don't even have high scores. No one even cares that it's there. And it's a headache to update and complicates the site when it comes to other issues to (whether games are allowed, copyright etc.) The fact that is that it's a relic of a bygone Grav and I'm going to remove it if I'm not given a good case to leave it.

Every time we update the board, that also involves updating every mod we have installed on the board. The arcade adds nothing to the quality of the site and no one even uses it. I would just remove it, but I wanted to see what the community thought on these issues before I take any action.

Finally, as a small note, the "Moderators: Staff" byline will be removed. It is severely redundant and adds nothing to the forum. Removing it will shorten the length of the page as well.

Give me your feedback on this and on the forum reordering and I'll make my decision shortly after. :china Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:13 pm  Post subject: Re: Changes to the Forum - Give some feedback about Grav!  
Gravitude MVP
  • SSX 3: Showoff: #3
Applying KISS to fora ordering:

General discussion
Fan Art
Lodge [just add word 'off-topic' to description]
Playground [same]

SSX 2012
Blur
SOT
SSX3
Original recipe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 pm  Post subject: Re: Changes to the Forum - Give some feedback about Grav!  
PSN: CHROMANAUT_
i like the third option. stoked to get some changes around here! thanks, g!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:55 pm  Post subject: Re: Changes to the Forum - Give some feedback about Grav!  
I like the first option the best. Organizing things by content rather than activity. Like you said the 2012 forum is where the activity is so it doesn't really matter where you put it, people are going to post and organizing activity seems to make things more cluttered. I mean, if it's going to look like the mock up then it looks like you're going to give 2012 its own forum (current games) near the top. It just feels like it would interrupt the flow of things due to the inconsistent location of content.

short answer: sort by content, not by activity.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:05 am  Post subject: Re: Changes to the Forum - Give some feedback about Grav!  
PSN: MistressWiggle
I love the first one, content is best and I think it might improve the fanart category a little bit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:45 am  Post subject: Re: Changes to the Forum - Give some feedback about Grav!  
Zoe's #1 Fan
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX Blur: Racing: #2
  • SSX Blur: Overall: #3
PSN: PabloYeti
option1 seems less fussy and makes the page quicker to navigate/read

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:55 pm  Post subject: Re: Changes to the Forum - Give some feedback about Grav!  
XBL: WAffle3690
i like option 1. and i totally agree that the fanart section is the least posted in and should be moved up.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:58 pm  Post subject: Re: Changes to the Forum - Give some feedback about Grav!  
XBL: Bildi
I prefer option 1. Most people visiting the site for the first time are after the SSX General and SSX 2012 forums I would imagine.

I know you aren't after feedback on major re-orders, but what the hell. Since our reason for existence is SSX, Id think stick current SSX stuff at the top:

SSX General
SSX 2012
SSX Fan Art

Playground
Lodge

Old games

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:09 am  Post subject: Re: Changes to the Forum - Give some feedback about Grav!  
PSN: Kubi-ssx
What about this (Did it in MS Paint):

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:16 pm  Post subject: Re: Changes to the Forum - Give some feedback about Grav!  
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
That still puts the fan art section into no mans land. And to me, the ssx gen discussion doesn't really fit in with the playground and what happened to the lodge? :lol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:15 am  Post subject: Re: Changes to the Forum - Give some feedback about Grav!  
PSN: Kubi-ssx
vix wrote:
That still puts the fan art section into no mans land. And to me, the ssx gen discussion doesn't really fit in with the playground and what happened to the lodge? :lol

To me, the fan art section isn't the most important on the forum. I mean, we don't want to put this at the top as everyone will think that this is like an SSX Art forum.

As for Lodge, I thought there was no point having Lodge and Playground separately because one is serious and one is not and I thought about combining the two to make one non-SSX discussion topic. I chose playground to stay because we don't really wan't something very strictly moderated when we're just talking for fun.

I put SSX General Discussion with Playground because I thought the SSX Community category should be like a general discussion category where we have SSX and non-SSX related topics.

I also decided to split Original Recipe into SSX and SSX Tricky because they deserve to have separate topics too. Yes, even though they will have hardly any threads inside them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:34 am  Post subject: Re: Changes to the Forum - Give some feedback about Grav!  
Well, that's why I was looking for a vote of which two options are best. :) I'm not looking for everyone's personal ideas of how to run Grav - the way it is set up is done on purpose, for valid reasons that not everyone who is here may recognize. I've been doing this for a long time and how many other forums have people tried to offshoot from Grav that have failed? I lost count a while ago - it takes dedication and perspective to build a forum up, and one of the ways of doing that is to make sure that no area of the forum is unattended. Fan Art will have a resurgence with the new game - and artists here generally contribute some fantastic stuff to the overall community when the Fan Art Forum is healthy. It is a good investment to move it up in the forum lineup because it pays dividends in the long run.

I'll give this topic another week and then reorder the forums then. :) Thanks for the feedback everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:58 pm  Post subject: Re: Changes to the Forum - Give some feedback about Grav!  
  • SSX Blur: Racing: #3
  • SSX 3: Overall: #3
PSN: obiwahnshinobi
I went with option 1, the only thing I thought you might be able to do was to combine OT and Blur together (maybe as "The Lost Causes") because the traffic for those two games are seldom and rare. They really just don't need their own category anymore, kind of like 1 & tricky. IDK anyone else agree?

(19:57:20) gondee: how does one master the dweeng

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:53 pm  Post subject: Re: Changes to the Forum - Give some feedback about Grav!  
Zoe's #1 Fan
  • SSX Blur: Racing: #2
  • SSX Blur: Overall: #3
PSN: PabloYeti
I would not really merge anything as each game has it own fan base.

Id still say 1 is the best option and it would not need to change/re-shuffle, just have an addition with each new game which can just build up in the GravLounge.

Option 2 would need to change at some point which would require a move around of the board so Gondee is already creating something he knows will eventually need work again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:19 am  Post subject: Re: Changes to the Forum - Give some feedback about Grav!  
PSN: jonipooon
One idea for the Tricky section: If its in Flash, every button you press should unleash the sound effect "Trickayyyy!". :lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:58 pm  Post subject: Re: Changes to the Forum - Give some feedback about Grav!  
PSN: Classic_Beauty21
I think option one is best, Gondee. To be honest, I find the others options quite confusing. If Jonipoon's idea were to happen, you know I'll be visiting the Tricky section more often. :P

Yes I have a masters degree on ssxology, doc.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:31 pm  Post subject: Re: Changes to the Forum - Give some feedback about Grav!  
PSN: Emu90
:frusty I picked #2.

What I really wanted to say is that I like #1. Gosh, how could I fail that hard?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:00 pm  Post subject: Re: Changes to the Forum - Give some feedback about Grav!  
Personally like the first option the best. It does the nicest job of grouping the topics without appearing cluttered or cumbersome.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:57 am  Post subject: Re: Changes to the Forum - Give some feedback about Grav!  
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback. It looks like the first option makes sense, which given some other developments will be what will happen. I will most likely rearrange the forums in the next few days, along with a few other changes that you'll notice that I won't give away right now. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:31 pm  Post subject: Re: Changes to the Forum - Give some feedback about Grav!  
The forum rearranging will take place tonight, along with a few other things. If you run across the board with an offline message, it just means I'm doing stuff and it will be back online shortly. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:17 am  Post subject: Re: Changes to the Forum - Give some feedback about Grav!  
PSN: jonipooon
Looks sweet, g. :yes

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 21 posts ]