Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:27 pm  Post subject: Old SSX Article, Wikipedia Weirdness!  
PSN: SSXfanatic
I stumbled upon the SSX series Wikipedia page a while back, and there were two things that I wanted to share:

One of the first references to the page is an IGN article titled EA Starts the Snowball. It's from February of 2000, a whole 7 months before the release of SSX and the PS2 in North America. One of the cool things it shares is that it was the first North American-made PS2 game, but that was probably a given.

The second thing I found was...odd, to say the least. Clearly it's not an indication of anything, especially since there has been no news on any upcoming SSX release. If you open up the Character's Bar in the SSX Series Wikipedia Page, you'll notice something extra included to the game list: SSX Extreme.

Yep, that's right! And not only is that game totally real (because it's on Wikipedia guys!), but there's also eight additional and new characters set to appear in this completely existing game. Maiho Nishidake is a name we've heard before (Kaori's older Olympic brother), but who in the world is named 'Donald Vamooses' or 'Tico Quatopo'?

Obviously it's a slightly above average overzealous fan adding non-content to the world's most trustworthy site, and I assume it'll be taken down at some point, but I found it funny.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:09 pm  Post subject: Re: Old SSX Article, Wikipedia Weirdness!  
You know when you see it's Wikipedia and you KNOW it's gotta be fake bU%T YOUR HEART STARTS RACING ANYWAY???

But yeah, that's way too many new characters, and some odd names too. I think Kaori's brother was actually named Akira (not that I have much respect for the 2012 canon anyway).

I just went back and looked at the old IGN articles, and this one is fantastic: http://www.ign.com/articles/2000/09/14/ssx-2 Those first two paragraphs, man. :cry The most interesting thing, though, is the lists of track names and modes:

Quote:
The Elysian Alps, Tokyo Megaplex, Mesablanca, Aloha Icejam (an iceberg that's towed in to Honolulu Harbor and melts as you race on it), Rammstein Blitzcschlag, Mercury City, Meltdown, Halfpipe Dome, Big Air Dome, and Untracked.
Quote:
The gameplay modes that range from sheer races, to stunt-based contests, to freestyle, timeless goof off areas. They include World Circuit, Free Ride, Adventure, Show Off, Single Event, Knockdown, Circuit License, and Snowdream.

I'm really curious about what these were. Will poke around, but there probably isn't any other info on them.

edit: Found some more: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=99367

Quote:
There’s also the obstacle-loaded Adventure mode and the Knockdown mode, where you win if you flatten the most opponents.

These seem interesting. I wonder why they were cut.

double edit: But wait, there's more! http://snowboarding.transworld.net/news/electronic-arts-announces-ssx-snowboard-superx/

Quote:
The game features five distinct modes of gameplay. A sampling of the exciting action offered in SSX includes World Circuit — a season-long dual against the world’s top boarders. However to access this mode, riders must obtain a Circuit License, which earned by completing all the training lessons. From there rookies enter a field of 32 boarders featuring the world’s best riders, and must run through a series of five different events. A high overall ranking following these events earn riders the big prize; entrance to the Professional World Championship Invitational Event. This event separates the best from the rest.

There is also an adventure mode in which a player must find and collect a multitude of 3D snowflakes placed in obvious and not so obvious parts of huge rideable areas. Additionally, the Show Off mode challenges players to practice their slickest tricks against some pretty stiff competition.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:54 pm  Post subject: Re: Old SSX Article, Wikipedia Weirdness!  
PSN: jonipooon
That's really fake indeed.

Nobody would ever name a Chinese character Yoshi Kamota. That's Japanese. Also the last name "Kimono" for the South Korean character is also a distinct Japanese word. Lol, it's always funny to see Western people assume all Asians share the same kind of names.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:30 pm  Post subject: Re: Old SSX Article, Wikipedia Weirdness!  
PSN: MistressWiggle
Also they left Ty out and put Alex in, so they can naff right off back to dreamland.

Bet it's the same twat that makes retarded and utter bullshit edits to the SSXpedia page.

Last edited by NA on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:43 am  Post subject: Re: Old SSX Article, Wikipedia Weirdness!  
XBL: CurryKingDH
PSN: CurryKingDH
NA wrote:
Also they left Ty out and put Alex in, so they can naff right off back to dream land.

Bet it's the same twat that makes retarded and utter bullshit edits to the SSXpedia page.

:lol :lol :lol never change NA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:26 am  Post subject: Re: Old SSX Article, Wikipedia Weirdness!  
PSN: MistressWiggle
I try.

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]