Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:37 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:00 pm  Post subject: EA to unveil new games at E3  
PSN: SSXfanatic
So this online article from Porygon states that EA plans to unveil new games for the PS4, WiiU, and the next Xbox from DICE, Bioware, and EA sports at E3 coming next month.

I believe that a seventh game is a little too soon following SSX 2012 from only a little over a year ago, but an SSX followup is definitely a possible game that could be announced, since the previous game was a hit, and much worse games have spawned sequels.

Other things that the article talks about is how the next DICE announcement could be a Mirror's Edge sequel, and how EA Sports is developing a brand new engine. Anyone else looking forward to a new SSX within the next two years?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:29 pm  Post subject: Re: EA to unveil new games at E3  
PSN: CurryBrace
I'd say a 2014 (maybe even holiday 2013) SSX game is likely if EA is going to make a new one at all, since right now the industry is basically "make a new installment every year".
I hope, if they make a new SSX, that they make RiderNet better. I should be able to tell RiderNet to only suggest Global Events within a specific parameter so I don't have to manually search the globe for events I want to do. I'm tired of my one Race It suggestion to be Level 6 gear only on Curnoe's Mustache every freaking time.
Basically my only gripe.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:51 am  Post subject: Re: EA to unveil new games at E3  
XBL: twoskilld4U
CurryBrace wrote:
I'd say a 2014 (maybe even holiday 2013) SSX game is likely if EA is going to make a new one at all, since right now the industry is basically "make a new installment every year".
I hope, if they make a new SSX, that they make RiderNet better. I should be able to tell RiderNet to only suggest Global Events within a specific parameter so I don't have to manually search the globe for events I want to do. I'm tired of my one Race It suggestion to be Level 6 gear only on Curnoe's Mustache every freaking time.
Basically my only gripe.

Way to bring my hopes up actually, i was semi depressed until i heard this.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:37 pm  Post subject: Re: EA to unveil new games at E3  
CurryBrace wrote:
I seriously doubt a new one coming out in 2014, let alone this year. Sure, SSX Tricky followed a year after 2000, but that's only because there was a good deal of overlap with characters and tracks, although the Uber Tricks was an incredible addition. And even though 3, OT and Blur each followed two years after their predecessor, I believe that it probably took a considerable amount of time less to create a game for the PS2, Xbox, and Wii than for PS3 and Xbox 360. Didn't Batty say it took three years to develop the game for 2012? And THAT was for 7th gen. If they DO decide to make a new SSX, it will be for the PS4 and the next Microsoft console. I'm actually wondering why they haven't confirmed planning on a new game already if we were to see one as early as this holiday.

SSX 2012 did a lot of things right, but I'd say ridernet is something that needs to be improved or replaced. But I'll reserve opinions until a new SSX is underway.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:31 pm  Post subject: Re: EA to unveil new games at E3  
Yeah, seeing as EA's trying to minimize losses during the transition period, I wouldn't expect to see an SSX this early. I'm not even gonna hope for an announcement until we're clear of the next-gen launches. That being said, I could see EA drop some franchise names that might appear next gen during their presser or an exec being asked about the future of SSX. While I doubt we'll get confirmation of a new game, we might be able to get an idea of the probability of one.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:12 pm  Post subject: Re: EA to unveil new games at E3  
PSN: jonipooon
The more SSX, the better.

I'm always hoping for the worst though, because then I will never be disappointed.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:48 am  Post subject: Re: EA to unveil new games at E3  
PSN: CHROMANAUT_
i haven't been around for a while, so i'm not sure who's talked to who, who's heard what from where or whatever but, i must say.....

maybe i'm just being totally pessimistic but i honestly think 2012 was the end for SSX. sure, it did well, but how well did it really do?

the price was dropped to 20 bucks, what, like 5 or 6 months after release? i know that's relatively common but like, Battlefield 3 is 20 bucks now, mass effect is 20 now, but games like modern warfare 3 are still 40 bucks, and saints row 3 is still 40 bucks, all new prices. that and i think the game suffered because the market for an arcade style over the top game like SSX just really isn't here right now (in my opinion).

my point is i just feel sort of pessimistic about it. i'm not sure the last installment did what EA was hoping it would do, and as a result, i don't think they want to beat a dead horse any longer. how long can you keep a semi-successful franchise around? i'm surprised it made it to game 6, after on tour and blur and all the little mobile games.

i think in order for SSX to become a truly reborn franchise and become really successful, they need to get more outside of the box in the SSX context, and IN other markets that are successful; look at games like Skate, and other sports games that have become successful. i love SSX, but it needs to blow up like it should, it needs to become more relevant.

BUT i'm interested to see what else is out there! bring it on EA!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:50 pm  Post subject: Re: EA to unveil new games at E3  
After reading Frank Gibeau's thoughts on 2012, I feel like it must have been successful enough. He wouldn't talk about seeing more of the series otherwise. However, a lot's changed at EA since then. With the combination of next gen and restructuring, SSX could easily slip through the cracks, or just not jive with the direction EA's going now.

To me, SSX's issue is that it isn't anything like a sports gameā€”it starts with snowboarding and then distances itself from it as much as possible. So, how do you market that? Everyone I've gotten to play SSX absolutely loves it; the problem is getting people to play it in the first place. It makes me wonder if the biggest change that needs to happen doesn't have to do with the games themselves, but how they're presented.

I think EA needs to give SSX a real chance, not wanting it messed with to suit "today's market," but actually putting all their support behind the franchise and believing in its inherent value. SSX is best at being SSX. If they go into it with the notion that SSX won't have any appeal, it'll be a self-fulfilling prophecy. 2012 tried to expand its appeal, but it didn't satiate nearly anyone and spread itself too thin trying to do so many things. Maybe SSX is a series that fits few, but it's better than being one-size-fits-none.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:46 pm  Post subject: Re: EA to unveil new games at E3  
PSN: mobe7
It was certainly successful here in Europe. It got to number one in the games charts here in the UK and thats not bad going for a rebooted franchise. I'm sure I remember seeing or reading about it being at number one in other European countries. I've no idea how well it did in North America. I'm quite happy to take Frank Gibeau's word for it that it was very successful though.

The problem with SSX being relevant these days is that not many games like that are relevant. Arcade type games have died a death in recent years, certainly in the world of big AAA titles. They're pretty much nowhere to be seen. Its a shame really because arcade type race games have always been my favourite but console gamers are just so much more involved in these big epic cinematic games. Arcade gaming seems to have been relegated to mobile platforms.

I'd really love arcade console games to make a comeback next gen. Especially arcade racing games, including SSX. Whether EA are brave enough right now to do it I don't know. I'd be surprised if they've killed SSX off though. They made a good base from which to build upon with the reboot. They'd be crazy to just drop it. EA are in flux at the moment unfortunately. There's a lot of chopping and changing going on.

I would dearly love for them to announce a new SSX at E3. Even if they don't officially announce it maybe we'll get some clue or other from someone that something is in the works.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:41 pm  Post subject: Re: EA to unveil new games at E3  
XBL: twoskilld4U
What do you guys think about the next ssx game NOT being under EA? What if ssx was just sold to some other group?

Like Sega, Sega is pretty arcade-like, F-zero GX is one of my favorite games ever next to super hang on and Daytona. Before you say anything though youd better believe i like transformed.

What if NeverSoft came back? (Seriously why are they making Call of Duty Ghosts?)

I mean yes EA is cool, they made road rash, ssx, and skate, but they also ruined Ultima.

They also ruined skate.

Im scared for ssx.

Sorry im just talking out of my ass.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:05 pm  Post subject: Re: EA to unveil new games at E3  
I couldn't really see anyone but EA Canada make the next one, especially those who helmed the reboot. I'd like to see EA Sports BIG make an industry return and produce it, but seeing how BIG's last title was Blur I doubt it.

The problem is that EA emulated the SSX style of tricks and racing for several of their early games. Freakstyle was basically a carbon copy of SSX Tricky with motorbikes (It even used the exact same rubberband AI, Boost pole and Placement system), and the snowsled game was really similar as well. Plus EA in general has the SSX characters in other games such as the 3v3 Basketball game from 2011, so they would probably request the next company to make NEW characters, which would defeat the purpose for the vets.

My final point, I don't think any other company besides those at EA can actually MAKE a snowboarding game that could be called SSX. We've seen Amped, Stoked, and Shaun White snowboarding games that couldn't even compete with SSX gameplay. The last time that any other game got close to challenging SSX was Nintendo's 1080 Avalanche, and they still opted to slap Mario characters into the Gamecube version of On Tour instead of a sequel.

If anything, EA should opt to go full-on arcade style, make a sequel that's comparable to SSX 2000 to SSX Tricky. I'd be surprised if they decided to cancel the franchise altogether because it wasn't successful enough, let alone sell the rights to a company like Sega or Ubisoft.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:00 am  Post subject: Re: EA to unveil new games at E3  
PSN: jonipooon
The problem with EA is that they change team members all the time, which means that very few but none who worked with any SSX game was involved in the development of the following one. SSX and Tricky basically had the same team, while SSX3 only featured a handful of the original devs from EA Canada. In On Tour most of the work have moved over to the studio at EA Montreal, and then Blur was made only by EA Montreal. Even though SSX 2012 was made by the same EA Canada based in Vancouver, I'm pretty sure that no team members of the original SSX cast worked on it. So to those who think that only EA can make a good SSX game, that's not the case. I'm sure there are many studios who could pull it off better than EA, even though that's of course not what I want to see.

First of all I think we need Steve Rechtschaffner to return as the head of SSX. He was the man with the vision and the guy that made SSX to what it is (or was). Don't really know what that dude is up to these days or if he's still making any games, his tweets are pretty much only about everyday stuff.

I still think Todd Batty is the man with the plan - thing is he didn't have control over everything, and even though I'm sure he's proud of the game they made together he still feels it didn't live up to his true intentions. EA gave them a very limited budget to work with and I'm amazed that they managed to make such a good game out of it in the end. But as a SSX game it's not close to the original 3 games.
A bigger budget is necessary.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:53 am  Post subject: Re: EA to unveil new games at E3  
PSN: mobe7
Jonipoon wrote:
The problem with EA is that they change team members all the time, which means that very few but none who worked with any SSX game was involved in the development of the following one. SSX and Tricky basically had the same team, while SSX3 only featured a handful of the original devs from EA Canada. In On Tour most of the work have moved over to the studio at EA Montreal, and then Blur was made only by EA Montreal. Even though SSX 2012 was made by the same EA Canada based in Vancouver, I'm pretty sure that no team members of the original SSX cast worked on it. So to those who think that only EA can make a good SSX game, that's not the case. I'm sure there are many studios who could pull it off better than EA, even though that's of course not what I want to see.

Most large games studios have a fair turn around of staff, thats not something thats necessarily unique to EA. My take on it has always been the first three SSX games had the same core team working on them. SSX 2012 definitely had people working on it that had worked on the older games. I remember it being mentioned in one of the developer diaries.

Todd and co did a great job with SSX 2012 given the budget and other constraints they were under. I really hope EA let them build on it.

The one reason I think we may hear something sooner rather than later, possibly not E3 but maybe later this year, is that its in EA's interests to keep the new updated SSX brand alive and in peoples consciousness. If they wait too long they'll in effect have to reboot a rebooted franchise. If a new game is in development, even just early development then I'd be surprised if we don't get some sort of pre-rendered target trailer just to keep the franchise name out there. Its not uncommon for studios to do that after all.

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]