Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:13 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:08 pm  Post subject: So, what made OT and Blur worse in your eyes?  
XBL: MdX MaxX
I think we can all agree that On Tour and Blur are disappointments compared to Tricky and 3.

But even after the release of 2012's SSX, people are still pleading for the old formula, and now I'm confused. If this new SSX game doesn't fix what people disliked about OT and Blur, then what did people dislike?

Here's what I disliked about OT and Blur, and what I thought most people disliked:

1) Horrid Interface - On Tour looks like a drunken heavy metal guitarist threw up onto a drawing pad, and Blur looks like Cartoon Network invaded SSX. Also, both games' graphics are a major step down from SSX3's, and even Tricky's IMO.

2) Lack of Character - Both OT and Blur completely stripped all the characters of their individuality and personality. They were reduced to lifeless, insignificant dummies. They had no signature tricks or any distinguishing features other than character model. The new characters introduced in these games were easily forgettable (Maya who?). None of the veterans bore any resemblance to their past selves. Deep characterization is what made Tricky so excellent, and some of that naturally trickled into SSX3. It was a shock that one of the games most important aspects was just completely shelved.

3) Annoying Gameplay - The slowdown effect that occurred every time you did an Uber trick was jarring and disorienting. The wacky camera rotations didn't help either; if you got enough air, you couldn't see the freaking ground and just had to guess when to let go of the Uber trick. Physics had no meaning, and tricking essentially turned into a guessing game. It was horrible. It didn't help that Blur did away with prewinding and forced you to just flail around to initiate spins and flips.

4) Bland Courses - The tracks in these games are hardly memorable. Blur's most memorable tracks are the ones that were pulled from SSX3. The only OT track I can point out off the top of my head is Compilation because of its crapton of rails. Plus, I feel like all the environments had the same shade of grayish-tan or grayish-blue that made everything seem almost depressing.

5) Rubberband AI - I can't tell you how many times I wanted to chuck my controller across the room because I was 2000m ahead on some race, then I went straight instead of taking a right and ended up 3500m behind with no hope or catching up ever. Sometimes they even gained a couple thousand meters for absolutely no apparent reason. I know SSX is about defying reality, but teleportation? That's a little far-fetched, isn't it?

Now SSX is reborn, with all these things fixed. The interface is clean, slick, and efficient, the characters have hours worth of humorous quotes to keep you entertained, the gameplay flows well just like old times (plus an insanely awesome sense of speed), the courses are very memorable, distinguishable, and vibrant, and the AI aren't full of bullcrap. Yet people still are dissatisfied with almost everything this game stands for. I don't get why. Was there this much complaining in the transition from Tricky to 3? Because that was a pretty huge change as well.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:18 pm  Post subject: Re: So, what made OT and Blur worse in your eyes?  
PSN: SSXfanatic
Add trick stick/wiimote tricks, they ruined the perfect layout from 3 that COULD HAVE been expanded upon, not tossed aside as a 'classic' option.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:18 am  Post subject: Re: So, what made OT and Blur worse in your eyes?  
XBL: Bildi
OT - trick stick, CAC, monster trick camera, interface, trees always seemed to be in the worst places (I probably played for less than 20 hours though).

Blur - for a quick shove-out I found it a step back in the right direction but the unreliable uber controls, character redesigns and no voices sucked. Absolutely epic JunkieXL dynamic soundtrack though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:19 am  Post subject: Re: So, what made OT and Blur worse in your eyes?  
XBL: MistressLeBeau
I was not fond of On Tour's "back of a high-school freshman's Trapper-Keeper" look, but I didn't mind looking past it & wound up TOLERATING the game.

I was a little less than thrilled with the "Trick Stick" (which sounds like it would make a good Lady Gaga song), but again, tolerated it.

However, when I brought the game over to my brother's house (SSX 3 had been our go-to competitive game), 15 minutes into it, he was BEGGING to go back to SSX 3... The Trick Stick being the culprit. As a working man & a dad, he just doesn't have time to re-learn controls just to have an hour or so of fun whenever he finds the time.

If this new game hadn't included the old control system, I'd never even let him know there was a new game out.

As for Blur... I was SO upset. I thought my brand-new Wii was BROKEN because of the controls. Not ONCE could I EVER do ANY uber-tricks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:45 am  Post subject: Re: So, what made OT and Blur worse in your eyes?  
XBL: Deznere
I literally don't mind the controls in SSX. I enjoy it and I learned Standard and Classic controls to compensate to me and now I can play Standard with little to no issues. The only issue i have is to let go of the stick when in the air during a race or make little movement.

Nothing to complain here about the game either. People just need to stop complaining about everything. Every game had a few things that would pester someone until they got used to it.

An easy way to fix a majority of the things people complain about is simple.

Tricking off the side of the mountains- The development team if they felt the need to could go in make it so that some of those area would lead to bail (rocky areas)

Sensitive steering- Sensitivity bar made for steering, and this does not affect spin/rotation.

Classic Controls bug- Spin and rotation will be similar to Standard controls (though in my findings I noticed that when I used to play classic controls, if I did a small trick before a jump and then jumped off the kicker my character would spins a lot faster as if he were on standard controls.)

Rewind Glitch- Gets removed or people get penalized for using it (Run is disqualified, user loses credits.)

Replays- Would be lovely. Especially if they allowed it so that users could upload their videos to Ridernet if they were to feature a video channel. It'd help people to learn the best routes more efficiently and would extend competition vastly.

I know most of the things we can deal with or we have youtube. But these are just merely some suggestions.

Skype-XEShadowX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:11 am  Post subject: Re: So, what made OT and Blur worse in your eyes?  
PSN: LilG912912
OT is so damn boring, after I played for several hrs, I completely got bored. Blur is just so worse that I lol'd so hard. Blur throws everything off. I don't want to debate about Tricky and 3, ppl say "Tricky is better" or SSX3 is better". I'm neutral about both games b/c I really like them equally. SSX 2012 is different, the reason why some people dont like SSX 2012 b/c they bitch and complain about how hard is the game when we asked EA Sports to make the game more challenging and that's what we got, people just sits there quitting and would not give the game a chance to play at least 3 hrs or more hrs of their time. I would say this, OT > Blur.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:31 am  Post subject: Re: So, what made OT and Blur worse in your eyes?  
PSN: jonipooon
MdX MaxX wrote:
2) Lack of Character - Both OT and Blur completely stripped all the characters of their individuality and personality. They were reduced to lifeless, insignificant dummies. They had no signature tricks or any distinguishing features other than character model. The new characters introduced in these games were easily forgettable (Maya who?). None of the veterans bore any resemblance to their past selves. Deep characterization is what made Tricky so excellent, and some of that naturally trickled into SSX3. It was a shock that one of the games most important aspects was just completely shelved.

The new SSX is tons better than OT and Blur, but I can't really agree that the character depth was improved that much.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:20 pm  Post subject: Re: So, what made OT and Blur worse in your eyes?  
PSN: DreadRandal
OT:

I didn't like the fact that you couldn't use the veterans in career mode. I didn't like the confusing interface, (though I loved the heavy metal soundtrack and the drawings), I felt Kaori's "Me speakee Engrish" voice (which was clearly a North American who had little knowledge of Asian idiosyncrasies beyond what they've seen in Charlie Chan movies and old episodes of Kung Fu) was offensive, bordering upon racist. I didn't like the overly massive amount of boring clothes based on real clothing lines for boarders who were generic and blah at best. (though I tried to make one look as much like Alegra as I could.)

I wasn't fond of the simplified control system, and part of why I don't like standard controls on DD is because it sort of feels reminiscent of the OT "Trick Stick", though I could be wrong, it's been over five years since I've played OT. I was never sure of what definite parts of the mountain were what. That menu system was a mess on top of a mess.

Blur:

The controls. The silent boarders. The controls. The music was all by one dude and only "okay". The controls. The cartoony menus. (though, I did like JP's "Dirk Dastardly" makeover.) The controls. (I asked batty to please please please have one guy spend a day or a week or whatever make it so you could use a GC controller with SSX3's GC control scheme work for Blur and post it in the Wii store, even though Blur is a dead game, no longer given any EA support. This way I can play some of the old hills when I get bit by the nostalgia bug and want to remind myself why SSX DD is a superior game. I just cannot get used to the Wii controls for SSX. I've already played SSX DD far and away more than Blur, even though I've had Blur for over a year.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:20 pm  Post subject: Re: So, what made OT and Blur worse in your eyes?  
PSN: blaergh
I actually liked OT just as much as ssx 3.
I didn't mind the slightly cartoonish art style;
I never had any problem with the menus, the trick stick setup was actually better than the classic one imo, because you could choose to do a standard grab even if you had full boost.
The tracks were good and varied, the character customization was just as good as in ssx 3 (the different costumes replacing the cheat chracters from 3), only that you had to build your own character from scratch.

So i don't really get what people don't like about it - I mean it is different, but it's not worse in any way, if you want to play a game that's exactly like ssx 3, play ssx 3.

I've never played blur.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:21 pm  Post subject: Re: So, what made OT and Blur worse in your eyes?  
PSN: brechteke333
^
Copy that

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:22 am  Post subject: Re: So, what made OT and Blur worse in your eyes?  
XBL: KKBox
1) Characters -- I love the SSX characters in Tricky and 3! But On Tour and Blur went down hill! My precious Elise, Mac, Kaori, etc were ruined!

2) Tricks -- What happened to the crazy, over-the-top, iconic tricks of Tricky and 3!? Totally gone with On Tour and Blur!

3) Tracks -- On Tour's tracks were completely lifeless and boring. Blur's tracks were recycled from 3 and On Tour.

4) Music -- Wow, On Tour actually DID have good music! It was quite good, actually. I'm not familiar with Blur's music.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:54 pm  Post subject: Re: So, what made OT and Blur worse in your eyes?  
One thing: They just RUINED Kaori's face.

Every time I see this freaking Kaori introduction video, I die a little inside.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:56 am  Post subject: Re: So, what made OT and Blur worse in your eyes?  
XBL: MetalGunBlade
Blur's controls made me hate life. I didn't enjoy playing it because the controls were the complete opposite of fluid.

I enjoyed certain things from on tour, but i felt like the game overall had far less personality than 3.

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]