Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:15 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX Community Event Wrap Up  
Thanks for your answer, Sick One.
What can I say, In light of your answer, Batty's new personal motto should definitely be: Todd Batty: making SSX community look like knee-jerk asses since 2010. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:04 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX Community Event Wrap Up  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Quote:
Having seen everything first hand, do you still hold this opinion or are you now convinced that fan backlash was not justified and what you played is the game they planned on creating all along?

That's a good question. When I said Sick One was on top of her game this week, I meant it, because this question was asked in the 50 Questions from Merqury City that Todd Batty answered.

The problem is the answer lies in a grey area, but I think I can answer it like this. It's clear they planned on the Deadly Descents direction - but they never intended it to be the sole direction of the game. The pure SSX soul was always meant to be there, that is extremely clear. We saw several old builds that were nothing like the trailer. The following is conjecture on my part, but I believe it to be correct. The real problem was two fold - 1) EA supremely underestimated the damage that On Tour and Blur had on the SSX franchise, and also the beating the studio has taken in recent years putting out bad games and thus as a result: 2) it pushed the Deadly Descents trailer out the door underestimating the cynicism of the SSX audience, and well before the development of the game had time to assuage the fans' concerns. We're only now seeing stuff that would have been great to see when the trailer was released.

This leads me to admit that I was mistaken in a lot of my early assumptions of the game. I will not, however, really apologize for this, since most of my concern came from my deep love of the series and the backlash ultimately gave the team much more momentum internally at EA. Batty has mentioned this in interviews before, so I'm not releasing information that is undocumented. But was I overly harsh on the game - yeah. Would I have been overly harsh on the game had EA managed the release of media and managed the debut of SSX better? Absolutely not. My about-face is proof they learned from their mistakes.

It's crystal clear to anyone who went on the Community Event that the team has a passion for SSX that wasn't there during On Tour and Blur. Seeing the team discuss details of snowboarding reminded me very strongly of the team from SSX 3. We all saw how that game turned out. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:15 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX Community Event Wrap Up  
EA Sports
XBL: sk88z
PSN: EA_sk88z
Thanks for taking the time to provide your event impressions. It really was a pleasure having you and all the others at the studio for this stellar event. As I made mention to those of you that were sitting in the hotel lobby into the wee hours of the morning that last night in town, the direction in the development of the game remains the same. With communications, we knew we needed to (and continue to) ensure that the core fans were by us every step of the way and to even see how we can incorporate your feedback in areas that we can still tweak/adapt/change.

Connor just mentioned to me today of how impressed he was with all the comments in the final survey and the team was very pleased with the quality of feedback.

Next 7 months should be a lot of fun ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:18 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX Community Event Wrap Up  
XBL: soultron
PSN: souitron
The worst thing now is that I find it difficult to appreciate SSX3! I popped it in when I got home and just couldn't help but seeing lines that I could do in SSX5, but not in the very game I was playing!

SSX3 will always be one my favourite games of all time, but once you experience the physics and feel SSX5, you won't be able to go back.

I'll make this kind of comparison:

GoldenEye was a well-designed FPS for its time. A lot of us have extremely fond memories of it!

But now compare that to a game like Half-Life 2. This is a game so good that it makes GoldenEye show its age. You remember GoldenEye being good, but you find it hard to enjoy it again now that you have HL2.

The game isn't even feature-locked yet and it still has lots of tuning and polishing to go. I'm speaking solely on the fact that the physics and control feedback as a result of this feel phenomenal. It scares me to think how good the final game will be once they fine-tune everything!

I don't know if gondee/tunes/ASOWAS can really echo my sentiments, but SSX5 is a gamechanger. It has what you loved, improved upon the very way you play, and throws in a bunch of really exciting new stuff. It's a truly next-gen experience.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:22 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX Community Event Wrap Up  
XBL: Kaavyn
Haha, well I guess that's one benefit to not being able to go to Vancouver :P

And hi sk88z, nice to see you post, even if you're only speaking to the contest winners :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:26 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX Community Event Wrap Up  
sk88z wrote:
With communications, we knew we needed to (and continue to) ensure that the core fans were by us every step of the way and to even see how we can incorporate your feedback in areas that we can still tweak/adapt/change.

I would be remiss if I didn't give EA complete credit on turning the general sentiment of the gaming community around. You all have done a wonderful job in that regard and should continue to do so. I mentioned to you on the first night that you have clearly been listening to the fans and that you've completely taken the negativity (overblown as it was) to heart and in the best possible way. Keep it up. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:26 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX Community Event Wrap Up  
EA Sports
Kav wrote:
And hi sk88z, nice to see you post, even if you're only speaking to the contest winners :)

lol...i hope to speak with everyone and anyone. just wanted to drop in and see what people thought about the invite's impressions. Gondee wasn't a winner...he was asked to come and rep Merq. I'll jump into the odd post though...I enjoy the vibe around here ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:29 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX Community Event Wrap Up  
EA Sports
gondee wrote:
I would be remiss if I didn't give EA complete credit on turning the general sentiment of the gaming community around. You all have done a wonderful job in that regard and should continue to do so. I mentioned to you on the first night that you have clearly been listening to the fans and that you've completely taken the negativity (overblown as was) to heart and in the best possible way. Keep it up. :thumbsup

Thanks! Without a dev team willing to listen and be open to the constructive feedback, we couldn't have gotten nearly as much done as we did last week. Lots of work still to get done yet!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:29 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX Community Event Wrap Up  
Quote:
I enjoy the vibe around here

You should be here when Tunes hosts Jungle Beatz night. It's bumpin' around here!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:31 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX Community Event Wrap Up  
XBL: Kaavyn
sk88z wrote:
Kav wrote:

lol...i hope to speak with everyone and anyone. just wanted to drop in and see what people thought about the invite's impressions. Gondee wasn't a winner...he was asked to come and rep Merq. I'll jump into the odd post though...I enjoy the vibe around here ;)

I think it's safe to say Gondee's post on his experiences have left us all very happy and excited for the upcoming game. :china Give the devs a big hello from me if you get the chance! :cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:11 am  Post subject: Re: SSX Community Event Wrap Up  
PSN: rzrfvr
Fantastic summary gondee. I am so excited to hear about all the things you experienced during the trip. This brings back so many memories from the last SSX weekend I just had to start posting here again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:30 am  Post subject: Re: SSX Community Event Wrap Up  
Thanks Gondee, this is amazing... I'm so jealous of you guys that got to go <_< haha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:10 am  Post subject: Re: SSX Community Event Wrap Up  
XBL: Milwaukee_Brewers
PSN: MilwaukeeBrewers
I'm amazed at the amount of new content that has come up on the boards in the past few weeks; really wish I had enough time to really soak the details in. (Haven't even had time to watch the UStream yet.)

Really hope that there's a downloadable demo coming in the near future. I'm sure it's still months away, but I want to be playing this game right now (even tracked down my copy of Tricky, which had long since been resigned to storage). OT and Blur left me seriously worried about whether EA understood what made the old games work....which was a less-than-ideal lead-in for the VGA's trailer. These sorts of details are slowly filling in the hype-meter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:16 am  Post subject: Re: SSX Community Event Wrap Up  
Just a few extra things I was thinking about, nothing too mindblowing.

What Gondee was saying about the funfactor of the game, I played the same level (which wasn't really that long) back to back for over 4 hours, while buckling under the mother of jetlag enhances hangovers and I didn't get bored for a single minute. In my opinion, that's saying something. The devs asked us to huddle up and talk about the game and I was like: "Leave me alone, I've got to finish this run!!" Flashing back to when my mom called for dinner during Tricky and SSX3 and I would come down when it already cold.

Besides that, I got the impression that the amount of content in the game was huge, it's probably a lot bigger than Tricky and SSX. Mind you it's only an impression, can't be sure about this... but it seemed huge.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:31 am  Post subject: Re: SSX Community Event Wrap Up  
XBL: RalphBattle1
PSN: RalphBattle1
Gondee I'd just like to say that I have the utmost respect for you. We live in an age where it's entirely too difficult to find anyone out there to do anything, even what they love, without looking for some kind of compensation. Commercialization in forums has always annoyed me and often the people who make the decisions on and run those forums have no relation to the subject in which the forum is dedicated to cover. However, you have managed to run Merq for the better part of the last decade and I haven't seen one advertisement, nor do I ever recall you even asking for a donation. It may not seem like a big deal to you, because that's just the kind of guy you are, but this is simply unheard of these days. Not only do you run this forum with such class, but you also go leaps and bounds out of your way to make sure your board members are PROPERLY informed. Not the kind of informed that most people get, which is really misinformed. You are one of the last people in a dying breed who do it for the love of the game. I'm just rambling at this point but hopefully you can decipher what I'm trying to say, your presence has been tremendously appreciated.

:cheers

Gondee for president in 2012!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:08 am  Post subject: Re: SSX Community Event Wrap Up  
PSN: Kubi-ssx
I read it all. I am just frozen.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:29 am  Post subject: Re: SSX Community Event Wrap Up  
PSN: CHROMANAUT_
sk88z! so glad you're around!

i'm glad the devs appreciate the feedback, i had quite a bit to say as i'm sure you know. hope to see you around here, and thanks for the rad time in Vancouver!

and yes, the next 7 months will be SWEET.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:49 am  Post subject: Re: SSX Community Event Wrap Up  
Master Codfish
XBL: bakalhau90
PSN: bakalhau90
Tunes wrote:

NO. THEY WON'T.

I wanna sleep until January 2012.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:53 am  Post subject: Re: SSX Community Event Wrap Up  
Wow... I haven't posted on here since 2003! I just figured I'd stop by to thank Gondee for the write-up and remind him that his efforts are appreciated not only by the members of Merqury City, but the thousands of SSX fans that don't have the chance to stop by here as well. We've all been anxiously waiting the arrival of this game, going through the fears and woes, so to hear how much of an in-depth critical analysis you've given EA is incredibly reassuring :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:06 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX Community Event Wrap Up  
bakalhau wrote:
Tunes wrote:

NO. THEY WON'T.

I wanna sleep until January 2012.

haha true dat! now that i've got a little taste, none of the old SSX's satisfy my need!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:22 pm  Post subject: Re: SSX Community Event Wrap Up  
I've been playing Tricky and 3 pretty solidly trying to whet my appetite. I'm definitely hyping up the new game to my friends and co-workers by getting SSX 3 in their hands as much as possible to give them the SSX bug. We're having an employee game night/midnight opening for NCAA and I'm going to make sure SSX 3 is one of the biggest games being played aside from NCAA and Mortal Kombat. Definitely doing my best to increase visibility for the franchise.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:48 am  Post subject: Re: SSX Community Event Wrap Up  
We've gone viral! :lol

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/ssx/news/ssx-the-hardcore-fanboy-hands-on-impressions-are-in-and-they-will-make-you-melt-with-joy/a-20110705144839737056/g-2010121275130777025

My favorite part:
Quote:
Head over to Merqury City and NeoGAF for Gondee and Soultron's full, extensive accounts and a whole stack of their personal feelings

I LOVE YOU GUYS!! :cry :cry :cry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:59 am  Post subject: Re: SSX Community Event Wrap Up  
Master Codfish
XBL: bakalhau90
PSN: bakalhau90
Quick go make an article on N4G and get it approved, I feed on these websites hits and unique users :lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:35 am  Post subject: Re: SSX Community Event Wrap Up  
haha that's great! i'm not even sure i should write something up anymore... :[

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:25 am  Post subject: Re: SSX Community Event Wrap Up  
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
Awesome read. Definitely makes me feel better about the game as compared to six months ago. I definitely feel more at ease reading this. And it definitely has me more excited about this game.

I'm itching to get my hands on it in some way shape or form.

Can't wait wait till you guys can actually talk about stuff.

---

Awesome about the gamesradar article as well. Win for g and soultron. :)

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 2 of 3 [ 68 posts ]  1, 2, 3