Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:46 pm  Post subject: Removing your board?  
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
I know this is a rather poor comparison since the game really wasn't all that great....but Shaun White's Snowboarding lets you take the board off and walk around the mountain. Which actually comes in handy when free riding since if you see this jump or something you want to explore you can stop, get off the board and walk back up to it. Though realistically not all of the sections you can walk back up. The multiple chair lifts throughout the mountain helped too.

Would you want to be able to remove your board in free roam so that you can look for jumps and what not? If there are some sort of collectibles again, this would help a ton.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:25 pm  Post subject: Re: Removing your board?  
Zoe's #1 Fan
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX Blur: Racing: #2
  • SSX Blur: Overall: #3
PSN: PabloYeti
Yeh, I remember running around and throwing a few snowballs - when we actually worked out how to get the invite to work :lol

If there is a freeroam option then I dont mind the walking or flying if you can use the squirrel suit. Wasnt one of the unused ideas for SSX3 to have snowsleds to explore? we've already seen characters on them in Sled Storm, you could get them on load in Rob n Bobs board shop :) and yes the chair lifts we're ok to use, how about the cable cars in SSX3 as well.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:00 pm  Post subject: Re: Removing your board?  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Well, if EA stays true to the survey it sent out, aren't you supposed to do stuff like Ice Climbing? If that's the case I bet you will be able to take your board off. I'm not against it, I think it would be a cool feature if implemented right.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:33 pm  Post subject: Re: Removing your board?  
SPLITBOARDS! :woot

Imagine your snowboard is halved, detaching lengthwise, remove the bindings, replace them on each half, and now you have a pair of cross-country skis that is at least twice as fast as using snowshoes. This is splitboarding. I've done a little bit of it, and it's amazing. When you get to the top, you reattach the skis and bindings as a snowboard and ride down. I would love to see this in the next SSX to access remote, sketchy areas. There's a bit of it featured in the trailer for this sick movie that came out a couple months ago:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:12 am  Post subject: Re: Removing your board?  
PSN: KBABZ
Depends on what it's used for. It could be neat to use them to explore different areas of the track and discover brand new routes to Session into. Say you were playing Snow Jam, you stopped, walked over a hill it'd normally be impossible to board over, climbed up an ice cliff and then BAM, brand new Backcountry route that comes with a new set of Session Markers for finding it.

Getting off the board is also potentially good for backtracking when you miss something, but to me I think there could be a different solution where you unlock more and more specific Session Markers the more you complete a track. On 0% Completion you have the default Session Markers, at 25% you have some to go inbetween, and at 50% you get even more specific Markers. At 75% track completion you unlock the ability to set down Custom Session Markers to quickly get to your favourite spot, or an exploration area just out of the reach of the default ones. Players of Ruthless should know what I'm talking about, it feels like there were one or two missing markers on that track.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:36 am  Post subject: Re: Removing your board?  
PSN: Kubi-ssx
In the SSX5 talk topic I posted something about getting off your board in freestyle...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:42 pm  Post subject: Re: Removing your board?  
XBL: Bildi
One thing I liked about Amped 3 was the ability to jump on your snowmobile, but the courses were laid out very differently to an SSX game. So I'm unsure if I would really use it much in SSX.

I would just be happy if they brought back sessions.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:11 am  Post subject: Re: Removing your board?  
Yeah, I think when we're boarding on wild uncharted mountains it gets hard to remember where everything is. To this day I still get lost on Happiness sometimes, and I have this nagging feeling there's a whole lot more to Untracked than what I board down.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:19 am  Post subject: Re: Removing your board?  
When they did it in Shaun White, it was a cool feature to be able to line yourself up for whatever task you were set but was tedious in the end. Parts of the game required you to walk uphill, to the lift stations if I remember correctly. It didn't work out. In any snowboarding game I want the illusion of loads of speed, not a walking pace.

They also had a feature where you could ride a chairlift as far as you wanted, and jump off when you wanted. That was funny the first time but got very dull. It did replicate riding a chairlift very well, which was good work, but that development time should have gone into making the game more fun.

And I second the return of session markers.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:41 am  Post subject: Re: Removing your board?  
If we had the chance to jump off of our board and walk, we should also be able do get back on easily. Also (even though this is off topic), I prefer the upside down grind back on there too.
:woot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:30 pm  Post subject: Re: Removing your board?  
XBL: andrew5500
Maybe you could get off your board and walk into the lodge, and then chat with the other members of the team (hopefully SSX veterans) and then increase your relationship with them like that, that would be cool.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:18 am  Post subject: Re: Removing your board?  
That is if there even is a lodge, if you're referring to it in the SSX 3 sense. Maybe a sort of Base Camp or Mission Central near where the helicopter is parked. Who knows, maybe there are multiple teams of SSX Vets doing this crazy stuff and they're organized into various different teams (Crazy has Psymon and Zoe, Funk has Mac and Marty, Far East has Kaori and Hiro, and Douche has Viggo).

Given that we're dealing with almost 100% backcountry (going off the trailer and Press Releases), a Lodge or the like may be out of the question, unless it's features at the bottom of the run where the mountain is 'tame' enough to actually set up camp or something.

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]