Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:13 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:28 am  Post subject: So what happend to "First Descent"?  
PSN: jonipooon
So we got our "SSX Deadly Descents" game confirmed. But what about the other domain name that EA registred, "SSX First Descent"? It kinda faded away from our minds after we got the badass dudebro trailer.

My most possible speculation and theory is that SSX First Descent will simply be a Deadly Descent portable version for either PSP, Nintendo 3DS, iPhone or whatsoever.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:35 am  Post subject: Re: So what happend to "First Descent"?  
PSN: KBABZ
Yeah I agree. Given the name it sounds like it would be a prequel. If that's the case, then, well, I think EA has the wrong idea, particularly if it's supposed to be linked story-wise as a major part of the game. To show us their first one, sure, but I don't think story should ever be a major driving force of SSX except to set up the gameplay (say, a handcrafted mountain for all comers for SSX 3).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:42 am  Post subject: Re: So what happend to "First Descent"?  
Maybe they just hand't fully decided on the name yet. I think I'd prefer First Descent. It doesn't sound so x-treme.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:17 pm  Post subject: Re: So what happend to "First Descent"?  
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
I'm hoping First Descent is an HD remake of the first three games.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:32 pm  Post subject: Re: So what happend to "First Descent"?  
vix wrote:
I'm hoping First Descent is an HD remake of the first three games.

I love your thinking!! :woot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:35 pm  Post subject: Re: So what happend to "First Descent"?  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
There have been enough requests for it. I've seen it online quite a bit. I'm sure EA knows about the customer demand for it.

With that said, from a licensing standpoint, re-releasing all of the old games with their extensive soundtracks might be a nightmare for EA. SSX licenses a LOT of music, which might be a deal-breaker if the music labels involved want more money the second time around. Costs might be too prohibitive to warrant a rerelease - so keep your hope in check that we might see that.

A good portion of this all depends on the licensing contracts written up the first time the game was released. I asked one of the SSX 3 team members why they didn't just include the SSX Tricky sound clips when they included Luther, etc in the game. He said the contracts drawn up for the use of the sound clips extended to SSX Tricky only, and that including them in SSX 3 would warrant too much money.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:17 pm  Post subject: Re: So what happend to "First Descent"?  
Hi All!

It's been awhile since I've been here. But after the news went public about Deadly Decent I had to come see how you were all taking it. And there was no suprise there.
I, like you, am soooooooooooo disapointed on so many levels. Sigh.

As far as the "First Decent" domain name goes, I would not read to much in to that. It probably just took them awhile to decide on which name to go with. After spending loads of money of course. No way there are two games/teams going on this. EA has fired most of that studio, It's a ghost town there. I wouldn't be suprised to learn SSX tanks again half way through development as resources get sucked up by FIFA.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:37 pm  Post subject: Re: So what happend to "First Descent"?  
Murf used to work at EA Vancouver, so he would be in the know on this sort of thing. First Descent as a discarded name for the game does make sense, since the story is that the SSX characters are trying to be the first to descend these dangerous mountains.

Quote:
I wouldn't be suprised to learn SSX tanks again half way through development as resources get sucked up by FIFA.

They wouldn't cancel it after that had announced it, would they? I doubt that, they don't want another NBA Elite on their hands, as if that didn't make the studio look horrible enough.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:26 pm  Post subject: Re: So what happend to "First Descent"?  
XBL: Bildi
"First Decent" would have been a far better name, even if it is for the fifth game in the series.

And praise to the marketing genius that decided on "Decents" instead of "Decent". Not only does half the internet think it's Decent (because it should be) but Decents is such an awkward and weak-sounding word.

Obviously, the "Deadly" is lame too. Makes me think of corny game titles like Deadly Premonition or Deadly Creatures.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:22 pm  Post subject: Re: So what happend to "First Descent"?  
Bildi wrote:
"First Decent" would have been a far better name, even if it is for the fifth game in the series.

And praise to the marketing genius that decided on "Decents" instead of "Decent". Not only does half the internet think it's Decent (because it should be) but Decents is such an awkward and weak-sounding word.

Obviously, the "Deadly" is lame too. Makes me think of corny game titles like Deadly Premonition or Deadly Creatures.

What about "Descent"? :D

Of course, if the game is only a hair above mediocre, "Decent" might be more appropriate than "Descent." :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:37 pm  Post subject: Re: So what happend to "First Descent"?  
66jzmstr wrote:
Of course, if the game is only a hair above mediocre, "Decent" might be more appropriate than "Descent." :)

:lol And Dudebro would be more appropriate than Deadly. SSX Dudebro Decent. :lol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:45 pm  Post subject: Re: So what happend to "First Descent"?  
Attack Duck Owner
*sigh*

I was trying to be optimistic about this but I'm not sure I can continue with it.

I think if the game didn't have those three letters tacked on to it, it could be a decent snowboarding game. But it's just not looking like SSX at all.

I'd like to be part of the wait and see till we get more info but I'm starting to slide down to the hate group.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:36 am  Post subject: Re: So what happend to "First Descent"?  
66jzmstr wrote:
What about "Descent"? :D

Wow, I hadn't even noticed. Freudian mis-type? :heh

gondee wrote:
:lol And Dudebro would be more appropriate than Deadly. SSX Dudebro Decent. :lol

:lol

I just saw on the EA forum the suggestion that First Descent might be the Wii/DS title. Pretty good theory.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/4527207.page

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:51 am  Post subject: Re: So what happend to "First Descent"?  
PSN: KBABZ
So why didn't any of us suggest that, saving us linking to threads elsewhere?

Honestly I feel like a lone wolf on here, being the only one who wants this game to be good and all.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:09 am  Post subject: Re: So what happend to "First Descent"?  
KBABZ wrote:
Honestly I feel like a lone wolf on here, being the only one who wants this game to be good and all.

Maybe a different choice of words there? I am convinced every single one of us wants this game to be amazing, but given EA wanted to reveal and show off the game using the trailer we saw, most of us do not expect the game to be very good, especially once this is all put into the perspective of the series' decline with On Tour and Blur.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:09 pm  Post subject: Re: So what happend to "First Descent"?  
Attack Duck Owner
it's better to expect shit and be surprised than get hyped up and be let down.

i'm on the fence of optimism. gondee and i talked about it on psn for something like 3 hours last night. with what was shown and the way things are being talked about...i hope there's some non stupidity up at ea and they attempt to change things for the better. i guess we'll see as news starts to trickle out over the upcoming months.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:20 pm  Post subject: Re: So what happend to "First Descent"?  
Gravitude MVP
  • SSX 3: Showoff: #3
Why form an opinion that can only be described as premature? Wait for a gameplay video.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:08 pm  Post subject: Re: So what happend to "First Descent"?  
KBABZ wrote:

Don't think for a second we're not all gonna buy this game day 1 dude. But I've been around long enough to call a spade a spade, and SSX doesn't match up with what we'd all like to see in the game. We all want the game to be fantastic, but this is a place where we can express our opinions of the game unfettered and honestly.

Like I told vix last night, if I seem like I'm being mocking of the game it's because I've been expecting this for a while, and I'm well past the outrage most other casual SSX fans are feeling. Ask vix - I predicted all of this pretty much verbatim 6 months ago. And since it was extremely likely that EA was going to point the ship in the wrong direction to start out, releasing a teaser this early before release - it's probably extremely fortunate that it happened this way. Because it gives the community the opportunity to affect development in some way when there is still enough time to make some substantive changes to the game.

I'm not saying we're going to have a shiny/happy SSX come October 2011. But we might see more characters, some more SSX feeling to the game than we would have had they waited until June 2011 to announce the game. At that point there would be very little changes made simply because the game would be in the final finishing stages.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:43 pm  Post subject: Re: So what happend to "First Descent"?  
Recent Tweets from EA:
EA_Shouren @wailinglist Keep the faith - a darker tone launch trailer doesn't mean a darker game. There will be no kill streaks or headshots ;) #SSX
and
Thanks to our fans for all your feedback so far! Please feel free to continue the discussion on the official SSX forums http://bit.ly/eTtXGo

Don't feel so hopeless, sounds like EA is looking for feedback. Keep commenting, seems to be working!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:05 pm  Post subject: Re: So what happend to "First Descent"?  
hobants2 wrote:
Recent Tweets from EA:
EA_Shouren @wailinglist Keep the faith - a darker tone launch trailer doesn't mean a darker game. There will be no kill streaks or headshots ;) #SSX
and
Thanks to our fans for all your feedback so far! Please feel free to continue the discussion on the official SSX forums http://bit.ly/eTtXGo

Don't feel so hopeless, sounds like EA is looking for feedback. Keep commenting, seems to be working!

That's good news! Thank you for passing that along, hobants2! :cheers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:44 pm  Post subject: Re: So what happend to "First Descent"?  
We all want the game to be amazing 66jzmstr, and there's always a chance it will be.

We can only respond on what EA releases so if what they release looks like garbage in your opinion, I see no harm in telling them so. Especially given the travesty of On Tour, which showed there's no point saying "I trust you guys!".

If the game is nothing like the trailer - great. If it's exactly like the trailer, well, maybe it'll change a little as a result of feedback at least.

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 21 posts ]