Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:00 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:07 am  Post subject: So in hindsight... How well did the game do?  
PSN: WillPG1212
In terms of Sales,reviews, community etc.

Is it likely the team is already working on another, or was it a failure for EA thatl take them some time to reconsider.

Have they made any kind of hints/announcements for the future of SSX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:51 am  Post subject: Re: So in hindsight... How well did the game do?  
PSN: SledDawg_KR
I for one, hope it did well enough for us to get another!
Was just thinking last night how great the next SSX game could be. This installment was terrific on SO many levels, but, with a few tweaks here and there, I think that EA could have a solid winner on their hands! This SSX was awarded "Best Individual Sports Game" at the 2012 VGA's, and I thought this would provide the momentum for EA to begin the next installment (and perhaps they have??), but since that time, we have heard nothing re: the future of SSX? Obviously, EA has encountered a few shakeups since the original release, but I would imagine that the SSX fan base is CERTAINLY strong enough for a new installment--a worthy investment for EA--no?? :shrug
Let's hope it did do well enough for another--my fingers have been crossed for some time, but I am beginning to lose faith. :rolleyes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:48 pm  Post subject: Re: So in hindsight... How well did the game do?  
PSN: Emu90
To me, it was the best SSX since SSX 3 and I hope EA has plans. But, they have to figure out how to make such a special niche game accessible to more people. There used to be a time when extreme sports games were popular. 1080, Amped, Tony Hawk, Dave Mirra BMX, Kelly Slater, Transworld Surf. SSX is the only one that survived. So either EA can go and take the opportunity to snatch up all those fans or they could drop it and the extreme sports genre is officially dead. :cry

In terms of reviews: It was around 8.5-9/10 on almost all
Sales: Dunno. But, probably good because we got DLC, new games modes and patches for a good year.
Community: SSX didn't have all the features people wanted right out of the box (real-time multiplayer for example) And I personally think that really hurt its potential to pick up more people in the beginning. It only get real time multiplayer months later and you know how online multiplayer is.

If I had it my way I would just use all the features from SSX and slap better graphics on it and bigger maps to the sequel. Oh, also no loading times. Just the moment when you join an event, because people don't have attention spans for loading times these days.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:54 pm  Post subject: Re: So in hindsight... How well did the game do?  
PSN: mobe7
I was always kind of surprised about how little DLC we got for SSX 2012. One long track and that was it. However well it sold EA clearly didn't think it was worth putting much manpower behind continuing support of the game via DLC.

Obviously I'd dearly love for them to make another but these days I'm less optimistic than I was. EA isn't in a great financial position anymore and SSX has always been one of those franchises that is dearly loved by a hardcore fanbase but has never translated into mega sales. Then again I'm not sure which EA franchises are experiencing mega sales these days.

If they were/are to make another I'd prefer a more stripped down experience than SSX 2012. Fewer tracks but of higher quality. A real focus on racing and tricks with big online lobbies. There so much potential there for a great game on the new consoles. Basically a remake of SSX3 would suit me fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:26 pm  Post subject: Re: So in hindsight... How well did the game do?  
Mobe wrote:
I was always kind of surprised about how little DLC we got for SSX 2012. One long track and that was it. However well it sold EA clearly didn't think it was worth putting much manpower behind continuing support of the game via DLC.

Obviously I'd dearly love for them to make another but these days I'm less optimistic than I was. EA isn't in a great financial position anymore and SSX has always been one of those franchises that is dearly loved by a hardcore fanbase but has never translated into mega sales. Then again I'm not sure which EA franchises are experiencing mega sales these days.

If they were/are to make another I'd prefer a more stripped down experience than SSX 2012. Fewer tracks but of higher quality. A real focus on racing and tricks with big online lobbies. There so much potential there for a great game on the new consoles. Basically a remake of SSX3 would suit me fine.

On that note, I just saw this:

I mean, a) it's Reddit, b) it's stating the obvious, but since it's always a point of discussion with us I thought I'd share. :P

btw, I would disagree that EA is in a bad financial position. I think they're doing pretty good. Granted, a lot of that is due to the top dogs taking a chainsaw to the company, which is basically what you're getting at, I think? Lots of layoffs, a small number of AAA titles and some mobile offerings, working on extending the life of titles through digital content like Ultimate Team. Only thing is, that doesn't work for titles like SSX where there wasn't a strong interest in online. Having H2H from the get-go would have changed that, I think.

Ah well, the tide is changing yet again that smaller, more experimental indie-AA titles are back in style, even at EA with Mirror's Edge and dudes-on-a-train. So ultimately, I think that if there are people at EA who are really passionate about making another SSX, it'll happen just like the last one. It just might take a while. There's gotta be value in it being their most viable wholly-owned sports IP, right?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:28 pm  Post subject: Re: So in hindsight... How well did the game do?  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
That's an interesting find citylights. If he's talking about DLC, I think that's pretty obvious. Honestly, for the middling demand that SSX 2012 saw (last figure I saw was that it sold about 700K worldwide, which isn't great - not totally sucky, but not great) I thought we got a damn good amount of DLC. Several level updates, Mt. Eddie and the Tricky pack and 3-2-1 Go was pretty decent.

I don't think we'll get a sequel any time soon, sadly. The game received only so-so reception. It will take at least a few years before gamers start thinking of it again, and even then EA isn't going to shell out the money for a AA release like they did the last time. Maybe if we're lucky, they'll push for a smaller release ala NBA Jam.

I remember reading colloquially that SSX was a hard sell, which I heard both from Batty and from the EA execs themselves. I was glad we got a new game, but it'll be the last for at least a few years more.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:40 pm  Post subject: Re: So in hindsight... How well did the game do?  
gondee, where'd you see those figures? I know I saw about 1.57 mil on VG Chartz, but well...it's VG Chartz. :heh For what it's worth, there's this, too:

GFK Chart-Track wrote:
EA’s Snowboard Supercross series returns after a 5 year break for a 6th instalment and is the first ‘SSX’ for 360/PS3 and is also the first time an SSX title has debuted at No1 (previous best was ‘SSX 3’ at No3 back in week 44, 2003 with less than half the sales).

Granted, they probably spent considerably more on 2012, rising dev costs and all. How much they sold doesn't tell us all that much unless we know how much they spent.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:07 am  Post subject: Re: So in hindsight... How well did the game do?  
I think I got that figure from a total someone created at Neogaf. It was a snapshot a few months after the game of all the sales in all territories. I'm sure it's gone up since then.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:49 pm  Post subject: Re: So in hindsight... How well did the game do?  
Ahh, okay cool, that sounds like a better figure. I ask because there's one dude always trolling on GAF with fake "VG Chartz" figures of 700k when it's really double that. :lol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:26 pm  Post subject: Re: So in hindsight... How well did the game do?  
I found that particular post - maybe it was the same guy. Turns out HIS source was VGChartz. :heh

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=88524734#post88524734

So I guess my figure is not accurate - disregard! I still doubt it sold well enough to warrant a sequel anytime soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:00 pm  Post subject: Re: So in hindsight... How well did the game do?  
Ohhh yeah, THAT'S the dude. Does that in every SSX thread, lmao. :lol But yeah, I doubt the sales were amazing either way. We can only hope a sequel is worth the investment when the install base gets bigger... onto E3 2015!!! :heh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:10 pm  Post subject: Re: So in hindsight... How well did the game do?  
:heh That figures. What I do know was that SSX sold better in Europe and the UK than it did in the U.S. I know it was moved to $40 only a month or two after it debuted, which means that it didn't sell as well as they wanted. Anecdotally, it's pretty clear it was only a so-so success. If I ever run across Batty when I'm up in Canada getting maple syrup I'll see if he can give me the real down-low on the sales figures. :heh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:36 pm  Post subject: Re: So in hindsight... How well did the game do?  
Where is that man!?!? They've had him under lock and key since 2013. :lol :lol

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]