Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:34 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:25 am  Post subject: so it's been like two years  
Do people still play this? Last time I popped this in the feeling I had was loneliness. It's so built around the multiplayer that it feels like an empty shell without it. The most fun I had was in those events with lots of people riding all around me, I used those as a freeride mode before freeride was added in. Now it's just me ;_; I would sometimes freeride in the explore events just so there's someone else on the slope but they're just ghosts. What if I play this in like five years, half the game will be missing, not to mention how am I supposed to get enough experience or money when there's no online. The first game came out fourteen years ago but I could pop it in right now and have a good time, I don't think this one will be as timeless as the others. I guess it would have been very time consuming to set up the AI for all the drops instead of just the couple from the story mode, but yeah basically this game pretty much dies when the servers shut down y/n?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:21 pm  Post subject: Re: so it's been like two years  
PSN: CurryBrace
When the servers shut down it will just be racing against friends, and none of my friends play SSX anymore because it was too frustrating.
Global Events still have enough people to keep it interesting for me, for now, and Geotags are a great way to earn lots of money, but eventually EA will shut down SSX's servers. Oh well. Maybe they'll release a new SSX game for this generation of consoles. One with fewer invisible walls >_>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:46 pm  Post subject: Re: so it's been like two years  
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX (2012): Survival: #2
  • Overall Best Players: Survival: #2
PSN: chromemaps
I still see ppl playing. Sometimes there's 90 or even over 100 ppl on a GE. Tend to be the easier drops - but its often quite busy.

One day - yes the servers will shut. I really don't care. I've had my fun out of this game. Milked it you might say.
I'll still be able to beat my own records.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:47 am  Post subject: Re: so it's been like two years  
I played it for 10-ish hours last week, and yeah, I got the same feeling. Not that it was completely empty because of the Explore ghosts, but it just made me feel nostalgic for back when online was really bustling. The best times I had with the game were a) when I had some awesome back-and-forth competition in Explore, b) the Merq GEs and actually being able to see everyone, c) when they tried to fix GEs by putting them all in the same range and (again) actually being able to see people and have the instant gratification of shorter events, and d) when we first got 3-2-1 Go's and everyone went back online.

I was wicked excited for freeride because I thought it would solve all of my problems with the game being too multiplayer-focused, but what I learned was that even without the multiplayer itself, the game still felt like it was designed for competitive play. I think it has a lot to do with the tracks, both visually and structurally. Say I'm freeriding down MC, and I come to a fork in the track and think, "Should I go into the parking garage and skyscraper hop through donut rails into the frozen river and sewer, or do I keep going on the main path and ride through the park and onto the giant bridges into heavy traffic?" With 2012, most of the time I think, "Which set of bumps/rails should I take this time?" I know that's a harsh oversimplification, but without strong visual concepts attached to track elements and the fact that the most interesting ones are the hardest, there's very little replay value in casual play.

However, looking at some of those bland moments in the context of competitive play changes them completely. The interlocking slopes after the first rail in BTF seemed boring as hell until I attempted to get down them the fastest. When I could finally carve back and forth between them without getting any air, the feeling and the audio feedback were incredible. The game really shines when you play how it wants you to, but those are some strict parameters, especially when they didn't exist for the originals. Still, I go back to 2012 because I think that some of those parameters are pretty good: rules/mechanics-wise, it has the best race mode in the series. Tying combos and Tricky together completely revolutionized racing in SSX, and I think it's for the better. As long as we have Explore ghosts, I'll keep playing.

I just think it's interesting that it was designed around this "you vs. the mountain" mentality, even the multiplayer, and yet so much of my enjoyment of the game depends on other people. I'm not even a multiplayer person, either! :heh It's weird that a game could make me of all people like that over solo play. Something's either wicked right or wicked wrong (maybe both)!

So yeah, when the servers shut down, I'm probably done with the game. :( That being said, I agree with chrome in that I've already gotten way more out of it than I expected. By the fall before it came out, I was sure it wasn't going to be for me. I just wanted it to do well enough that we could get a sequel more geared toward us old-school folks. I hope it's coming.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:07 pm  Post subject: Re: so it's been like two years  
PSN: MistressWiggle
I feel terrible. Because as much as I enjoy it, I get it out play a couple of tracks then fulfillment is done I turn it off. IDK At least with Tricky and 3 you can start all over again maxing characters and stuff, doing that on SSX2012 is tedious and imo you don't really get anything out of it.*Shrug*

I did do world tour mode again to be fair and that was fun so maybe in the next game they can make the storyline longer? (If there is one).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:53 am  Post subject: Re: so it's been like two years  
PSN: Emu90
It's not this game. It's PS3 in general. I just don't play games on it anymore. I usually fire it up to go to Netflix.
Something about video games this decade.... or maybe it's just me getting old. :cry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:39 am  Post subject: Re: so it's been like two years  
PSN: Eeeyore
^^^ you're never too old mate, chromemaps 'n me are both in our 50's, whenever I fire my ps3 up, I can more or less guarantee he's online!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:31 am  Post subject: Re: so it's been like two years  
^^^^^^^^^ :woot

I'm an addict - I admit it. I still can't get enough of this game. There's always something to do. ..... I'm still breaking my own records.
For instance yesterday - I managed 2:42:33 on Serenity / no w/s. My best ever non w/s time.

And the other evening I noticed that some young upstart had taken down my trick it score on Headshot. After a hand-numbing hour or so I managed 33 million.

Compared to other riders like Radical Player, Morten, Mistinguette (the fastest on a board I've seen for a while - check his time on that Serenity GE above - 2:36:80 if u can't see it - and a great tricker too), Fan_Jhon_3000 (his trick scores are nuts) ...... and the list goes on, there's a lot much better than me....
but I STILL LOVE THIS GAME>
and I'm 53 in a month or so :eek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:22 am  Post subject: Re: so it's been like two years  
PSN: shimesa
It's funny how there's all of you awesome older people (53, damn) and then there's people like me who are almost 17/18 and they're earliest memories of the series are probably only back to SSX 3 (maybe Tricky for some, but mine was 3).On top of that, even though I've played 3 since I was 5 or 6, I still suck at it :P I'm also still pretty horrible at 2012 compared to you guys. I was the top of my leaderboards for a while until some of you guys got onto my list!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:57 am  Post subject: Re: so it's been like two years  
SSX (2012): Racing: #1SSX (2012): Overall: #1
Scoreboard Honors: 4
  • Overall Best Players: #3
  • SSX (2012): Racing: #1
  • SSX (2012): Overall: #1
  • Overall Best Players: Racing: #2
PSN: RadicalPlayer
chromemaps wrote:
^^^^^^^^^ :woot

I'm an addict - I admit it. I still can't get enough of this game. There's always something to do. ..... I'm still breaking my own records.
For instance yesterday - I managed 2:42:33 on Serenity / no w/s. My best ever non w/s time.

Me neither actually, and I need to stop soon... As you said there's still so much to do and so much to break and go even further than you we're previously. Even though most of the competition out there is dead, that little competition does it's share in motivating me to break the harder records found in SSX like the Serenity no ws that you mentioned up there. (Good Job on Headshot btw, thats a realllly good score for classic controls :thumbsup )

As for Mistinguette he is new around, better than me and almost at Mortens potential I can say the least. He recently beat Morten at Fro with the Flow with a really super smooth run along with the TBW:

I don't think age matters when it comes to this game, since anyone can play it whether old or young, as long as the person enjoys it then theres nothing wrong with that. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:42 pm  Post subject: Re: so it's been like two years  
^ Wow, yes great run by Mistinguette. He currently has a 100m GE on Mount Eddie: The Big Wachowski .... his time - 3:56. Next down was I think Aubis with 4:12. I thought I might stand a chance of hitting around that. But could I? I tried many times but my time was somewhere south of 4:25. I didn't even bother finishing in the end it was that bad.

So - I really need to polish up on Mt Eddie. My times and scores are lacking. My PS3 does like to freeze/crash there quite a lot, - I don't know why - but that's NO EXCUSE and anyway as we know - a bad workmen blames his tools.

Another good new rider I've seen is Live2Diee. He is fast. Not as fast as Mistinguette - but again he flattens me most of the time. I was kind of proud of my time on Hush - hey I even took b20471120 down a few months back with 1:44:09. It took him a while but Live2Diee eventually achieved 1:39 (off the top of my head, can't exactly remember).
(Lest we forget Radical Player is still the master with 1:33 though).

The thing is - all these good players have their specialities.... and also their weaknesses.... for instance - Mistinguette isn't all that good on a w/s - and Live2Diee isn't that good at tricking (yet!!).
The only player I really like to beat is ME.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:57 pm  Post subject: Re: so it's been like two years  
SSX (2012): Racing: #1SSX (2012): Overall: #1
Scoreboard Honors: 4
  • Overall Best Players: #3
  • SSX (2012): Racing: #1
  • SSX (2012): Overall: #1
  • Overall Best Players: Racing: #2
PSN: RadicalPlayer
chromemaps wrote:

The only player I really like to beat is ME.

...and the people who are always stealing my records -.-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:06 pm  Post subject: Re: so it's been like two years  
PSN: Why_So_Ninja122
Bout October last year I stop playing ssx All together cause it was extremely repetitive and I was always playing with my friends on the pc So My ps3 was only used for Netflix or If my friends wanted to play gta v. But bout the end of January I started playing ssx again:) I am hook again I dont really ever play with my friends and they are always hitting up my phone wanting me to play lol. Some of my friends do have ssx tho but they hate it. (Dont worry you dont know them considering they never got into the game)

I am a very competitive person So this game always makes me happy. My favorite thing bout this game is the Ssx Radio. It is some reason really satisfying to have some to hear your screams of agony for a slip up and having to restart xD. Or playing 3-2-1 Events with a friend like I was doing with Gold Fingers or SSX_WIN yesterday. But once the server is down I dont know anymore. I think I will stop playing I might get on every now and then but most likely not.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:09 am  Post subject: Re: so it's been like two years  
I had once played SSX 2012 on my former best friend's ps3. To be honest, I missed it. We're permanently apart, with no more possible chance to meet again, due to permanently lose communications and growing up stuff...

My earliest memories are always playing SSX Tricky in my Elementary years, and shipping JP and Elise hard enough to be my first favorite couple in my whole lifetime. I got to admit though, typing alone in this forum for remembering those feels nostalgic to me. PS: I don't know what made me abandon my account here for like, 2 years. I've logged in here again, and it's a miracle I still remember my password hahaha~

Guys, I don't know anymore what I used to comment about JP/Elise, Psymon/Allegra or Psymon/Alex, bla-bla-bla, please don't remind me, but I'm terribly sorry for my dumbest comments, sometimes, even bringing back forums made months/YEARS ago. #IStillShipThemThough

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:23 pm  Post subject: Re: so it's been like two years  
PSN: Emu90
tecna jessie wrote:
I had once played SSX 2012 on my former best friend's ps3. To be honest, I missed it. We're permanently apart, with no more possible chance to meet again, due to permanently lose communications and growing up stuff...

Quote:
My earliest memories are always playing SSX Tricky in my Elementary years

Why you come here and create all these feels??? :cry :cry Welcome back. I remember yer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:04 pm  Post subject: Re: so it's been like two years  
PSN: Classic_Beauty21
I still play it from time to time. But I knew since the beginning that this wasn't going to be the type of game I could play over and over (and over and over again) and never get bored. SSX '12 lacked that magical hook that Tricky and 3 had (well, have). I think we all saw it coming. The only reason I still go back to it is for my love to this series. The game itself is great, but it just lacked so many factors.

I'll always have great respect for Todd Batty and the whole team. They obviously tried their best and really reached out to the fans! But at the end of the day, '12 were always been be second best to Tricky/3 for me.

tecna jessie wrote:
Guys, I don't know anymore what I used to comment about JP/Elise, Psymon/Allegra or Psymon/Alex, bla-bla-bla, please don't remind me, but I'm terribly sorry for my dumbest comments, sometimes, even bringing back forums made months/YEARS ago. #IStillShipThemThough

Don't feel bad, I'm sure we all have embarrassing posts on here when we first joined - I know I do! There's some I look at and think, "oh my gosh, I wrote that?!" Some of us also joined when we were fairly young (I was sixteen) so we're bound to have some not-so-pleasant posts on here. :heh Don't worry though, the forum is filled with awesome people for the most part, no one will bring back embarrassing moments. :thumbsup #donttripistillshipmyotptoo

Yes I have a masters degree on ssxology, doc.

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ]