Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:39 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:49 pm  Post subject: World Tour 100% speedrun  
PSN: TaysteChampion
Hey, so a while ago I was working on a 100% speedrun of the World Tour and I somehow, despite initial enthusiasm, ended up deciding it wasn't a good idea. I came up with all sorts of excuses. Problems that I used as excuses which when I look back on, don't matter. So for a couple weeks I left it. But as some of you may know, I have the worlds most terrible PS3 internet connection and through my love of SSX I have found myself back on this.

A quote by Leonardo Da Vinci:

"As you cannot do what you want. Want what you can do."

A great philosophy in all walks of life, but in this instance it has given me back the enthusiasm for this speedrun and I have been practicing the last few weeks.

For this 100% speedrun I am following some arbitrary rules:

- Ranges played in order; Rockies, Alaska, Siberia, Alps, Himalayas, Africa, Antarctica, Patagonia, New Zealand
- Place 1st in all 32 regular events
- Survive all 9 deadly descents
- After victory in New Zealand, Griff then defeated in the Death Zone grudge match

I like the organic feel of the World Tour, particularly the interaction with the AI characters. Speedrunning the trick events is like no other event you can find outside the World Tour. Hyper Trick Events don't award a quick finish. The AI sometimes scores high, sometimes not so high, but you got to play in real time to win.

Last edited by TaysteChampion on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:50 am  Post subject: Re: Preview of World Tour 100% speedrun  
PSN: Donoftea
This is a cool undertaking - I doff my hat to you.
A while back, I lost all my save data and had to redo the entire World Tour & Explore - it was surprisingly good fun, and I rediscovered some tracks I had ignored, so I really like this idea.

Waiting for the loads must drive you crazy! I'm glad I'm not the only one whose PS3 takes about an hour to bring up each track.

Next up - speed run with minimal gear usage? Or none? :yes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:48 am  Post subject: Re: Preview of World Tour 100% speedrun  
Don wrote:
This is a cool undertaking - I doff my hat to you.
A while back, I lost all my save data and had to redo the entire World Tour & Explore - it was surprisingly good fun, and I rediscovered some tracks I had ignored, so I really like this idea.

Waiting for the loads must drive you crazy! I'm glad I'm not the only one whose PS3 takes about an hour to bring up each track.

Next up - speed run with minimal gear usage? Or none? :yes

Thanks Don. It is really fun. The load times are bad, but this is a blessing during the run. I have more time to think about whats up ahead. Not so great as a spectator though.

Last edited by TaysteChampion on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:14 pm  Post subject: Re: Preview of World Tour 100% speedrun  
XBL: greatsinister
*HIGH FIVE XBOX W/INSTALLED GAME ON 250HDD*
:heh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:54 pm  Post subject: Re: Preview of World Tour 100% speedrun  
spookydonkey wrote:
*HIGH FIVE XBOX W/INSTALLED GAME ON 250HDD*
:heh

:P

Last edited by TaysteChampion on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:34 am  Post subject: Re: Preview of World Tour 100% speedrun  
I had my suspicions so I did some investigation and discovered that by SDA timing rules, load times are not included. Very cool! Fair game!

This is the thread that confirmed it. https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/what_exactly_is_a_load_time_defined_as.html

Also, timing begins when you first gain control of your character - which (I think) would be the beginning of jt2.

Last edited by TaysteChampion on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:36 am  Post subject: Re: Preview of World Tour 100% speedrun  
XBL: greatsinister
so how do we set up timing :gameboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:36 pm  Post subject: Re: World Tour 100% speedrun  
I am back on this but I am not going to time my runs with SDA timing. They have a nice system that I agree with, but such a system is really only in place as a way to deal with competition in the fairest way.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:21 am  Post subject: Re: World Tour 100% speedrun  
[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=URwk8lWSH9Q[/youtube]

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]