Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:30 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:18 pm  Post subject: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
PSN: martymcflyy85
Should we be worried that another SSX was NOT included in this list?

http://kotaku.com/5988925/ea-sports-may-add-a-couple-of-new-sports-franchises-executive-tells-investors?post=58034254

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:14 am  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
PSN: Clawz114
Not at all. They are most certainly working on the next gen console games for release in 2014 (possibly late 2013 if the consoles get here this year) and they will want to develop the best selling games series first such as Battlefield and FIFA etc. Once the big blockbusters are out the door, they are much more likely to start working on the 'less popular' games such as SSX.

Also, if Xbox goes the same way as Sony with the x86 architecture on their console, I'd imagine game developers (especially large ones such as EA) will be pushing out more games at a faster rate as it will be much easier for them to develop games around a familiar system such as x86.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:17 am  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
Kotaku isn't the most reputable site. I wouldn't be worried.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:58 am  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
PSN: ShoTheEmcee
I wouldn't want a sequel to SSX to be a next gen launch title so I can wait. I wouldn't want the install base to be so small that the game's community online (the way SSX is now with Ridernet) is so small it makes the game less interesting than when it was released.

With that said..

Mountain man + 8 gigs GDDR RAM = orgasmic.

With the PS4, they could easily include every character that's ever been in the series. They could do outrageous things like maybe open up a map/mountain editor to the public. Maybe you could download the data from MM as they get it and edit it as you see fit.

SSX meets Little Big Planet...yes please.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:12 am  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
ShoTheEmcee wrote:
With the PS4, they could easily include every character that's ever been in the series. They could do outrageous things like maybe open up a map/mountain editor to the public. Maybe you could download the data from MM as they get it and edit it as you see fit.

How about a PC version with mods! :eek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:38 am  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
Clawz114 wrote:
ShoTheEmcee wrote:

How about a PC version with mods! :eek

EA typically doesn't support modding.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:56 am  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
PSN: mobe7
ShoTheEmcee wrote:
I wouldn't want a sequel to SSX to be a next gen launch title so I can wait. I wouldn't want the install base to be so small that the game's community online (the way SSX is now with Ridernet) is so small it makes the game less interesting than when it was released.

It actually works quite the opposite to that. If SSX was a launch title on the PS4 then expect the best online experience you could possibly have with it to be in the weeks following the games release. You're not talking about a few thousand people buying the PS4 on launch you're talking about several million and since they won't have that many games to play you can bet anything a lot will be playing SSX. That's what happened with Motorstorm at the PS3's launch. It was pretty much the only game people played in the first few months after the console was released and it was so busy with players the servers frequently crashed. When it did work pretty much every race had a maxed out 16 players. It was insanely fun.

The latest rumours going around are that Sony are aiming to see 16 million PS4's in the first quarter of the consoles release which is just an insane amount. They must be pricing it very competitively which is great news all round.

Anyway I don't really think this latest rumour coming out of EA has much baring on the likelihood or not of an SSX sequel being announced. If one is being made as a potential next gen launch title then I would expect stuff to be announced at E3 or later. Surely its going to happen. There's such a strong foundation for Todd and the guys at Vancouver to build upon with a sequel I'm really hoping EA haven't canned it.

Has there been any rumours going about at all here? I haven't seen or heard of any in the wider games community. I'm hoping for a big surprise in the coming months

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:58 am  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
If they're working on a next gen release, we won't see an announcement of it until next year at least.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:30 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
gondee wrote:
If they're working on a next gen release, we won't see an announcement of it until next year at least.

I suppose E3 is possibly too soon since we know they were't working on it as of early last summer. That being said though some studios do announce a game's existence fairly soon into its development and there will be a lot of pressure on the big third party studios like EA to get as many next gen games announced as they can in the run up to the end of year launch, even if the game may not be coming out until well into 2014. It gets people talking about them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:36 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
Mobe wrote:
ShoTheEmcee wrote:

It actually works quite the opposite to that. If SSX was a launch title on the PS4 then expect the best online experience you could possibly have with it to be in the weeks following the games release. You're not talking about a few thousand people buying the PS4 on launch you're talking about several million and since they won't have that many games to play you can bet anything a lot will be playing SSX. That's what happened with Motorstorm at the PS3's launch. It was pretty much the only game people played in the first few months after the console was released and it was so busy with players the servers frequently crashed. When it did work pretty much every race had a maxed out 16 players. It was insanely fun.

The latest rumours going around are that Sony are aiming to see 16 million PS4's in the first quarter of the consoles release which is just an insane amount. They must be pricing it very competitively which is great news all round.

Anyway I don't really think this latest rumour coming out of EA has much baring on the likelihood or not of an SSX sequel being announced. If one is being made as a potential next gen launch title then I would expect stuff to be announced at E3 or later. Surely its going to happen. There's such a strong foundation for Todd and the guys at Vancouver to build upon with a sequel I'm really hoping EA haven't canned it.

Has there been any rumours going about at all here? I haven't seen or heard of any in the wider games community. I'm hoping for a big surprise in the coming months

You know, that makes perfect sense actually. With only maybe a little more than half dozen games available for the system on release everyone would spend pretty much all their time on the games they actually got. In that case I'm certainly all for it.

It sounds like as of late EA is actually keen on an SSX sequel, as the CEO really appreciates the history of EA and certainly SSX is a big part of that. If Todd and co. don't get a chance to do SSX2 I'd at LEAST like to see them revive/finish that Road Rash project!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:59 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
I agree with Clawz. Jorgensen was really only talking about their top dollar franchises, so it wouldn't make sense to mention SSX. EA's going to want to minimize their losses as much as possible during the transition period, and that's only going to happen by putting out high-profit, safe games. SSX isn't either of those, so I doubt it's going to be released, or even announced, during launch. Maybe we'll see a mention this year, though. I could see EA flashing a screen of various logos at E3 and saying something along the lines of, "these are some of the franchises you can expect on next-gen platforms in the coming years," but even then, SSX might not be mentioned.

That being said, I don't think that necessarily means that we'll have to wait a long time for another game. After just rebooting the franchise, and making it clear that they want it to continue, it doesn't make good business sense to wait until everyone's forgotten about it to announce a new one. To me, at least, it seems that they should keep the momentum going. February-March 2014 would be a really good time to announce a new game if they could get enough together by then, as the dust will have settled from the launch, and the Winter Olympics will be taking place in February and winter sports will be on everyone's brain. Then release could be a year or two later, allowing them to promote the game at the Winter X-Games, like they did with 2012, and other snowboarding events. That might be a bit too idealistic for a series that EA doesn't consider a core or prominent franchise, though. Still, it's fun to think about.

It's also fun to think about how next-gen technology might influence a new game. The sharing functions in the PS4 could lead to the return of replays, as they really pushed the online aspects of 2012, and utilizing the PS4's sharing options seems like a natural extension of that. Being able to upload runs to the internet would make video proof/Master Runs far easier. I wonder what next-gen would mean for split-screen as well. If I'm not mistaken, that was an issue with hardware resources and not production resources, so perhaps, if prioritized, that could make a return as well. I honestly don't care about it at all, but it was a deal-breaker for quite a few people last time, and could be a huge selling point if announced early on. Perhaps we could even have a 3D UI again (edit: I forgot about the globe!!! Sorry, I had characters on the brain), even just for the characters, as with more powerful consoles, the loading times for something like that would be reduced quite a bit, I assume. With a lower-budget series like SSX though, I suppose that most of the limitations are to do with production resources. I'm sure there's plenty of things the team could do, but they're not going to have the time, labor, or capital to do a lot of them. It's really about what they prioritize. I suppose there could even be just as much cut out next time around, as with better specs come higher technical expectations.

Ultimately, I think that as of now, we're going to get another SSX. Just in June, the EA Labels president said that 2012's launch was very successful and that a sequel is likely. They knew about the next generation back then, so it's clear to me that SSX is somewhere in their next-gen plans, even if it's just a vague, low-priority idea at this point. The reboot's timing is unfortunate, though. It's sad that just as we finally got SSX back, the next generation's come and pushed it to the back of EA's consciousness. I hope it doesn't have too negative of an impact on the future of the series.

Last edited by citylights on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:47 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Mobe wrote:
I suppose E3 is possibly too soon since we know they were't working on it as of early last summer. That being said though some studios do announce a game's existence fairly soon into its development and there will be a lot of pressure on the big third party studios like EA to get as many next gen games announced as they can in the run up to the end of year launch, even if the game may not be coming out until well into 2014. It gets people talking about them.

SSX just about ruined itself by announcing too early. Remember that disastrous VGA trailer that everyone hated with a passion? I doubt they'll announce so early any time soon.

Citylights is exactly right that they won't announce a new SSX until AT LEAST next year through the transition to next gen systems. SSX isn't a solid entry in EA's hat. It took 3 years of backbreaking work by a small team and a charismatic leader to convince EA's top brass (whose assholes cinch up tighter than a snare drum at the mention of SSX) to green light the game in the height of the current generation. Even then, it had neutered multiplayer and lacked splitscreen (which is still the biggest knock against it from people who hated it.)

No, set aside your expectations for this year. It's next year at the earliest.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:03 am  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
Salariedcat7507 wrote:

I highly doubt we will get a PC version of SSX anyway, but I had to lol at this comment. There are plenty of EA games with mods. In fact, the only 3 game series that I have gotten involved with modding, have all been EA games. It's only really the more recent games with much more complex game engines that don't have mods.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:00 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
PSN: martymcflyy85
I like Sho's idea of a map editor. Imagine being able to create tracks/characters and share them online? Ah man, that would be incredible. But ok, I'll wait until 2014......for another puzzle piece :rolleyes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:04 am  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
martymcflyy85 wrote:
I like Sho's idea of a map editor. Imagine being able to create tracks/characters and share them online? Ah man, that would be incredible. But ok, I'll wait until 2014......for another puzzle piece :rolleyes

The whole social aspect of what the PS4 is capable of would work really in favour of a game like SSX. My personal prediction is that we will see a bit of a move back to arcade type gaming next gen simply because its the sort of gaming that integrates well with social connectivity.

Yes trick editing would be amazing. Even just being able to choose your tricks like with SSX3 would make it fresher, SSX2012 really lacks that.
There's so much room for creativity and ideas in the trick it aspect of SSX. There's a lot a next gen version could do.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:36 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
PSN: TheEvilPengy
Even though there was an article that I posted on here after launch stating that SSX has a good and successful launch, I'm still worried we wont get a new title, purely because it's EA and well, there were reports that they were going to axe Dead Space earlier this week (and lets face it, Dead Space sells more than SSX to begin with). That and this whole thing with Sim City recently, I think they're not going to take risks and stick to their key IP's which are FIFA, Battlefield & Madden sadly (also maybe NHL games, they're really popular in Scandinavian countries)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:17 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
Yea but I'm sure that's based off of the insane budget that Dead Space commands. I would imagine any budget for SSX would be half that. It's a much smaller risk to bring out an SSX and have the game do meh, than DS.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:41 am  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
Clawz114 wrote:
Salariedcat7507 wrote:

I highly doubt we will get a PC version of SSX anyway, but I had to lol at this comment. There are plenty of EA games with mods. In fact, the only 3 game series that I have gotten involved with modding, have all been EA games. It's only really the more recent games with much more complex game engines that don't have mods.

Well, we are talking about recent EA...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:45 am  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
PSN: jonipooon
During the latest big Sony press conference, they showcased a video which highlighted some of the biggest/most popular games for PSOne, PS2 and PS3 before looking into the "future of PS4 games". When I saw this video I was surprised and happy to see that SSX was the first PS2 game they showcased.

On the other hand, this was a video put together by Sony and not EA. Gosh, why does it seem like everyone on this planet loves SSX except EA themselves?!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:34 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
XBL: Kaavyn
I was already super tempted to get a PS4 after the Watch Dogs trailer, and if they announce SSX for next gen too (which is likely) I'm 100% buying one (partly because the system is so sexy, partly because all of you suck and are Sony fanboys) :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:46 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
So the news today is EA CEO John Riccitiello has resigned. Looks like he's fallen on his sword in the wake of the Sim City fiasco and year or two of falling sales at EA. http://www.computerandvideogames.com/396621/ea-ceo-john-riccitiello-steps-down/

This could be good news for SSX or it could be bad. I just really hope a new game is already in development and they're not going to mess about with it. I'd be surprised if there's not a lot of restructuring at EA now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:08 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
The way I see it, SSX has never failed regardless of the generation of the console. The over-the-top tricks and tracks are what makes SSX unique, and that unique brand of crazy fun is a safe investment in EA's future.

Also, the fact that the story doesn't make a huge impact on the game, and that it is a primarily single player game, means that if some epic failure like the ending of Mass Effect 3 or the launch of Sim City were to occur, it wouldn't be a major hit to the experience and the franchise's fans wouldnt cause an uproar.

Regarding next gen titles, I would like all future SSX games to feature splitscreen multiplayer. This RiderNet thing is cool and all, but nothing is quite like trash talking someone on the same sofa. And the ridiculous aura around SSX makes it quite the party game.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:34 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
kpardakhti wrote:
SSX has never failed

*coughontourcough*

*coughblurcough*

:lol :P

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:53 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
:heh Well, they may have failed in the eye of hardcore SSX gamers, but from a company's perspective (which have had quite a few catastrophies in the past 12 months) it didn't. Since EA is taking many body blows from past events are bleeding money, they need a tried and true safety net to make a profit. With 6 entries that few have complained about, a new entry to our beloved series is that net.
Compared to most titles they put out, SSX takes a tiny fraction of the budget, and with Dead Space finished (that is if they are speaking truly about the end of the series) a generously large gap in the budget could easily accommodate a sequel to the reboot.

But this is assuming EA will be logical in the next gen choices. Who knows what crazy shit makes sense to them. :shrug

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:59 pm  Post subject: Re: Upcoming EA releases (no SSX?)  
PSN: hypnotic_boogie
keep in mind also they have been working on SSX 2012 since 2009, and we got a trailer at the end of 2010.
i don't think they would announce something so...quickly? i mean it's been a year and some weeks.

but also im not doing concept art so they must not be back from their vacation

because

im not on the team yet
and they better hire me

because im pretty

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 4 [ 79 posts ]  1, 2, 3, 4