Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:11 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:19 am  Post subject: Re: Is Everyone happy with how this game turned out?  
XBL: Chez XD
Salariedcat7507 wrote:
It's one of two games that I thought were good this gen.
So yea, pretty damn happy.

One of two, wow you're hard to please! what was the other out of curiosity?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:39 am  Post subject: Re: Is Everyone happy with how this game turned out?  
The other one was The Last Remnant, a Jrpg for 360 and PC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:42 am  Post subject: Re: Is Everyone happy with how this game turned out?  
PSN: Clawz114
Chez XD II wrote:
True what you say abut SSX 3 although I enjoyed using the different characters and seeing what gear each one unlocked.

I'm with you on the character customization thing though. I think almost everyone misses that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:29 pm  Post subject: Re: Is Everyone happy with how this game turned out?  
PSN: ShoTheEmcee
Character customization is a good thing, but I definitely prefer the characters dressing like they're actually racing down Everest at upwards of 200mph. With the exception of Moby/Psymon weird redesigns... 2012's hey look, we're not actually going to freeze our asses off >>>>>> rest of series.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:18 pm  Post subject: Re: Is Everyone happy with how this game turned out?  
ShoTheEmcee wrote:
but I definitely prefer the characters dressing like they're actually racing down Everest at upwards of 200mph. With the exception of Moby/Psymon weird redesigns... 2012's hey look, we're not actually going to freeze our asses off >>>>>> rest of series.

But you forget this

I like just making them look as cool as possible, it is a game after all. And how often do you see Snowboarders with kneepads, elbow pads etc. BUT NO HELMET! haha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:04 pm  Post subject: Re: Is Everyone happy with how this game turned out?  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Am I happy with how the game turned out? Yep. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would, as I apparently turned out to be more old school than I thought and I think death pits killed the game for me. I have a hard time playing frustrating games, and SSX was too frustrating for me.

But with that said, it was a great game. I think, given the propensity of EA Brass to never allow another SSX to come out that we wanted, that we ended up with a game we should all be greatly thankful for. It wasn't the best game in the series, but it's a solid third, and it's a very solid reboot after 7 years without a formal SSX.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:56 pm  Post subject: Re: Is Everyone happy with how this game turned out?  
2012 wasn't the game I wanted it to be. It operated on a plane of reality, and while it might have done extreme things within it, it still didn't go outside of the box in the way that made me love the series in the first place. However, I understand why the game had to be made that way. I think gondee made a good point; the higher-ups at EA didn't have much faith in SSX. A sixth SSX game had previously been pitched and turned down, twice, if I'm not mistaken. Setting it in reality and utilizing Mountain Man were key to getting a sixth game off the ground. It had to not be the game I wanted it to be in order for it to do what I wanted it to do: prove that SSX could still be successful, and that's exactly what happened. Even then, it was a quality game and I enjoyed playing it. How could I not be happy, really?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:09 pm  Post subject: Re: Is Everyone happy with how this game turned out?  
PSN: martymcflyy85
I was letdown overall, but I saw promise. I think mountain man killed the creativity in the tracks. But I also realize that the game would have never been made without mountain man. So I am thankful. Because without this game, there wouldn't be hope for another sequel. And with the possibility of another sequel brings the renewed hope that I'll get the game I want (Tricky 2). I think this game was for the hardcore and those who love to beat high scores.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:27 pm  Post subject: Re: Is Everyone happy with how this game turned out?  
XBL: KKBox
I love this game! There is so much about it that is good!

1) Soundtrack -- I personally liked the music that came with the game. What was even better was that you could upload your own tracks. Brilliant! Hopefully they bring back this excellent feature.

2) Concept -- The idea of the world's most bad-ass snowboarders teaming up to conquer the world's deadliest mountains is simply epic.

3) Controls -- The controls were good, and I appreciated the inclusion of both Standard and Classic. I didn't want to re-learn how to play SSX. Just lighten up on the sensitivity.

4) Wingsuit -- The wingsuit is incredibly entertaining, a great addition! However, it should be reserved solely for events in which it is a necessity and for freeriding.

5) No Skiing -- This was the right choice. Better to focus on the snowboarding experience completely. It is a snowboarding game after all. Snowboard Supercross. There should have been more trick variety since skiing was excluded, though.

Only a few things really bothered me, and I consider these problems to be very minor.

1) Characters -- The developers totally dropped the ball in this department. Voices, appearances, backstories, customization, the exclusion of fan favorites, the fake voting--what happened?! The character closest to his old self is Eddie, but I was never a particularly huge fan of Eddie, so this success didn't do much for me.

2) Store -- It's just dreadful. What were the developers thinking? I have all of the money in the world, but I still can never find what I want! I'm not even that picky! All I even wanted was a board with legendary speed, but I had to travel to Hell and back to find one!

3) Locations -- There's just too much backcountry. It's all backcountry. It would have been nice to have some variety. Mt. Eddie was great, of course, but it wasn't enough.

4) Difficulty -- I think that the tracks that are supposed to be easy but that have sneakily-placed death pits are harder than they should have been. *cough* Antarctica *cough* I also think that the tracks that were supposed to be hardcore Deadly Descents were usually too easy. *cough* PATAGONIA *cough* The only semi-hard part about the Deadly Descent of Gravity was figuring out which button activated the wingsuit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:47 am  Post subject: Re: Is Everyone happy with how this game turned out?  
SSXuberfan#1 wrote:
I love this game! There is so much about it that is good!

1) Soundtrack -- I personally liked the music that came with the game. What was even better was that you could upload your own tracks. Brilliant! Hopefully they bring back this excellent feature.

2) Concept -- The idea of the world's most bad-ass snowboarders teaming up to conquer the world's deadliest mountains is simply epic.

3) Controls -- The controls were good, and I appreciated the inclusion of both Standard and Classic. I didn't want to re-learn how to play SSX. Just lighten up on the sensitivity.

4) Wingsuit -- The wingsuit is incredibly entertaining, a great addition! However, it should be reserved solely for events in which it is a necessity and for freeriding.

5) No Skiing -- This was the right choice. Better to focus on the snowboarding experience completely. It is a snowboarding game after all. Snowboard Supercross. There should have been more trick variety since skiing was excluded, though.

Only a few things really bothered me, and I consider these problems to be very minor.

1) Characters -- The developers totally dropped the ball in this department. Voices, appearances, backstories, customization, the exclusion of fan favorites, the fake voting--what happened?! The character closest to his old self is Eddie, but I was never a particularly huge fan of Eddie, so this success didn't do much for me.

2) Store -- It's just dreadful. What were the developers thinking? I have all of the money in the world, but I still can never find what I want! I'm not even that picky! All I even wanted was a board with legendary speed, but I had to travel to Hell and back to find one!

3) Locations -- There's just too much backcountry. It's all backcountry. It would have been nice to have some variety. Mt. Eddie was great, of course, but it wasn't enough.

4) Difficulty -- I think that the tracks that are supposed to be easy but that have sneakily-placed death pits are harder than they should have been. *cough* Antarctica *cough* I also think that the tracks that were supposed to be hardcore Deadly Descents were usually too easy. *cough* PATAGONIA *cough* The only semi-hard part about the Deadly Descent of Gravity was figuring out which button activated the wingsuit.

I am going to be a jerk and disagree with almost all of this!

1) Soundtrack - Uploading your own songs is a nice addition, although not necessary for me. I didn't like this games soundtrack, wort ever in my opinion, too many pop/dubstep songs. But that is down to music taste.

2) Concept - I don't like the concept, I prefer the competition feel of the other games with all the spectators and fireworks huge kickers and rails etc. Being one one mountain is better I think.

3) Controls - I didn't like the new controls, although there is no harm in them being there, except you were punished for using classic with slower spins, not sure if this was updated.

4) Wingsuit - The wingsuit and survival idea was crap, too gimmicky and this is where the game strayed to far from snowboarding for me.

5) Skiing - I ski and snowboard in real life and everybody knows both sports are rad. I like them both being in the game much more than solar powered heat suits scanning goggles, body armour and all that shite! (good point about trick variety) all you do on this new one is backflip uber, the backflip sig trick, rinse repeat.

-

1) Characters - I agree with you here kind of, I hated the styling, who wears knee + elbow pads to ride?

2) Store - the store and the awful customization, spot on with this.

3) Locations - I agree with this also

4) Difficulty - and why they ever though death pits everywhere was a good idea I'll never know

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:53 am  Post subject: Re: Is Everyone happy with how this game turned out?  
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX (2012): Survival: #2
  • Overall Best Players: Survival: #2
PSN: chromemaps
Death Pits Rule :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:21 am  Post subject: Re: Is Everyone happy with how this game turned out?  
XBL: I am minne
PSN: I__AM__MINE
chromemaps wrote:

:thumbsup

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:00 am  Post subject: Re: Is Everyone happy with how this game turned out?  
PSN: Otter111
minn wrote:
chromemaps wrote:

Is it just me? But trees give me more problems than death pits....Death Pits give you a chance to do more tricks!! :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:44 am  Post subject: Re: Is Everyone happy with how this game turned out?  
minn wrote:
chromemaps wrote:

are you guys high?

My god they're stupid! It's like lets not make the game challenging by having high scores or fast times, lets have random holes that you fall down by chance that you have no way of predicting! Pretty sure 'mountain man' didn't pick up too many bottomless pits..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:07 am  Post subject: Re: Is Everyone happy with how this game turned out?  
Chez XD II wrote:
minn wrote:
chromemaps wrote:

are you guys high?

My god they're stupid! It's like lets not make the game challenging by having high scores or fast times, lets have random holes that you fall down by chance that you have no way of predicting! Pretty sure 'mountain man' didn't pick up too many bottomless pits..

Yeah but.... dude... once you've gone down the drop once - you know where the 'death pits' are, right?

Otter is spot on .... now the trees ... they ARE annoying :lol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:23 am  Post subject: Re: Is Everyone happy with how this game turned out?  
chromemaps wrote:
Yeah but.... dude... once you've gone down the drop once - you know where the 'death pits' are, right?

I know what you're saying, but they are so cheap and such a shitty way of adding difficulty of the game.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:40 am  Post subject: Re: Is Everyone happy with how this game turned out?  
Ah well - each to their own I guess. I'm not gonna labour the point. If u don't like em - then u don't like em. Not all drops have em but I get what u mean.

As well as the accursed trees... I also find myself getting stuck in those kind of sculpted outcroppings of rock on some tracks ... they can be hazardous. You can get wedged in em quite easily.
If its a race its not too bad - but if you've built up a good trick combo then rewinding out and going back often means you lose the flow and thats the end of that.

Also - sometimes the combination of hazards can be too difficult. Africa / Mawenzi/ Kili- I'm looking at you here - the combination of darkness and death pits is not to to my taste.

but I'm not really sittin on the fence - death pits I dig em.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:09 am  Post subject: Re: Is Everyone happy with how this game turned out?  
Yeah getting stuck in the rocks is a pain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:31 am  Post subject: Re: Is Everyone happy with how this game turned out?  
Okay hang on a second. A line is a line. Death pit or not if you don't hit said line then it really doesn't matter if there is a pit, a tree, a rock, or an avalanche to take you out. But at least with the crevasses you can grind the edge to your advantage. :yes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:44 am  Post subject: Re: Is Everyone happy with how this game turned out?  
minn wrote:
Okay hang on a second. A line is a line. Death pit or not if you don't hit said line then it really doesn't matter if there is a pit, a tree, a rock, or an avalanche to take you out. But at least with the crevasses you can grind the edge to your advantage. :yes

I just think they are silly, having numerous bottomless pits scattering each course.

Also quick question, with the classic controls did you still have to press a grind button to jib on stuff?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:14 am  Post subject: Re: Is Everyone happy with how this game turned out?  
Chez XD II wrote:
minn wrote:

I just think they are silly, having numerous bottomless pits scattering each course.

Also quick question, with the classic controls did you still have to press a grind button to jib on stuff?

I have no idea what you mean by jib. But if you are asking if you have to manually grind with classic, then yes of course you do. It's is just a different button configuration, that at high levels of gameplay can make a difference but for the casual player it has absolutely no effect.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:22 am  Post subject: Re: Is Everyone happy with how this game turned out?  
minn wrote:
I have no idea what you mean by jib. But if you are asking if you have to manually grind with classic, then yes of course you do. It's is just a different button configuration, that at high levels of gameplay can make a difference but for the casual player it has absolutely no effect.

Oh yeah I remember now, it was 'Y.' I haven't played in a long while so I forgot. Probably more effective to just do a 10x backflip on flat ground like you can.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:17 am  Post subject: Re: Is Everyone happy with how this game turned out?  
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX (2012): Showoff: #2
PSN: Pemdas82
chromemaps wrote:
Chez XD II wrote:

are you guys high?

I with you guys. I don't even notice the death pits any more. Trees and rocks are far more annoying, but once you figure out your line they are all easily avoidable.... except for one way ticket. It is the only track in the game that I really don't like.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:50 am  Post subject: Re: Is Everyone happy with how this game turned out?  
Pemdas82 wrote:

I with you guys. I don't even notice the death pits any more.

Oh I fucking notice them, especially in Japan where the mother fuckin rail magnetics pick you the fuck up and throw you into them. I jump up, run around the room, laser beams shooting out of my eyes and fire coming from the top of my head while I am screaming "FUCK THIS GAME". Then I take a breath and sit back down, nail the line to the fucking wall and call it a good day ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:33 pm  Post subject: Re: Is Everyone happy with how this game turned out?  
PSN: Clawz114
I only really play Patagonia, and there is probably more death pit that solid ground in that region so I'm used to them now.

Like someone else said earlier, you get to know where most of them are pretty quickly and learn to avoid them. I do think there should have been more tracks with none at all though.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 2 of 4 [ 94 posts ]  1, 2, 3, 4