Switch to full style
Forum to discuss the upcoming entry in the SSX series
Post a reply

Sat May 12, 2012 10:28 am

I have noticed right now that my lifetime earnings are decreasing , how's that possible?
From 2 billions , now I have 1.4 billions
Thanks in advance for any reply

Sat May 12, 2012 11:44 am

I think you may be onto something.. I just signed in, and it says my lifetime earnings in -2.1Billion. Someone is up to something :??? I'm assuming yours are going down because you're making more credits, and if it says a negative amount.. Upon recieving credits the -2.1Billion may start to go down ie: -1.9Billion.

Sat May 12, 2012 12:00 pm

Yep, mine's at -2.0 billion when it used to be at 2.2

Sat May 12, 2012 1:44 pm

Signed integer strikes again

Sat May 12, 2012 2:22 pm

On a sidenote: are you able to buy something or is it just a display problem?

Sat May 12, 2012 2:48 pm

Maxxens wrote:Signed integer strikes again

Batty doubted us yet again; he never thought anyone would make over 2.2 Billion credits. :lol

Sat May 12, 2012 5:28 pm

Maxxens wrote:On a sidenote: are you able to buy something or is it just a display problem?

Now that I have reached 2.2 Billions credit the display says -2.1 Billions and not able to buy anything because it says I don't have enough money

Sun May 13, 2012 7:01 am

Someone in my friendlist said the same thing. First decreasing earnings, now he can't buy anything anymore. His lifetime earning were also above 2.2bil when it started happening. What's going on? I'm almost at 2 bil as well, so what can I do to prevent this happening to me? What's going on???

Sun May 13, 2012 8:13 am

This is soooooooooo not cool :(

Sun May 13, 2012 10:29 am

I don't quite understand why one wouldn't be able to buy something.. My credits display 1.1billion. Which is a positive number, the lifetime earnings is just a displayed total.. Unless your credits say negative, I can't see why one wouldn't be able to buy something. Regardless, I'm not playing GE's until this is fixed. Explore mode FTW :frusty

Sun May 13, 2012 10:41 am

My Lifetime earnings was at 2.4 Billion earlier & is also showing the -2.1 Billion now???
I have 1.8 Billion available & seem to be able to buy items, in both Explore & G.E. modes!

I hope this get's sorted quickly!! :??? :eek
Last edited by Nick_Bester on Sun May 13, 2012 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 13, 2012 10:42 am

FKuPAYme wrote:I don't quite understand why one wouldn't be able to buy something.. My credits display 1.1billion. Which is a positive number, the lifetime earnings is just a displayed total.. Unless your credits say negative, I can't see why one wouldn't be able to buy something. Regardless, I'm not playing GE's until this is fixed. Explore mode FTW :frusty

My credit display show - 2.1 billions ( negative) , that's why when I try to buy in the shop ,it says I don't have enough credit
It turns positive when I play EXPLORE mode.....Negative when I play GE

Sun May 13, 2012 11:20 am

Berger wrote:
FKuPAYme wrote:I don't quite understand why one wouldn't be able to buy something.. My credits display 1.1billion. Which is a positive number, the lifetime earnings is just a displayed total.. Unless your credits say negative, I can't see why one wouldn't be able to buy something. Regardless, I'm not playing GE's until this is fixed. Explore mode FTW :frusty

My credit display show - 2.1 billions ( negative) , that's why when I try to buy in the shop ,it says I don't have enough credit
It turns positive when I play EXPLORE mode.....Negative when I play GE

Oh snap, I didn't realize you had 2bill credits as well in the bank :woot Put me to shame! Suppose this glitch hits banked credits and the lifetime total at ~2.1billion. Let's hope someone fixes this soon..

Sun May 13, 2012 11:21 am

Wow, this glitch sucks! Hopefully it'll be fixed with the next patch.

Sun May 13, 2012 11:28 am

I don't think it's so easy to fix... The problem is the data type which is used to store the amount of credits (and the lifetime earnings counter). To fix this bug they will need to change this data type (I guess it's a signed long) but this will not help to get the credits back... I'm surprised that such a major programming mistake managed to get in the game.

Sun May 13, 2012 11:35 am

"What happens when you reach max credits" is a VERY common thing to test for... So either the testing department totally dropped the ball, the development team ignored the testers, or the UI was incredibly rushed and not very well done.

Personally I think there might be enough blame to go all the way around.

Also you guys make my 200mil bank look really sad, then again I do have many different characters very well equipped.
But still my lifetime is only 427mil... Stop hogging all the credits!!! :P j/k

Sun May 13, 2012 11:36 am

Maxxens wrote:I don't think it's so easy to fix... The problem is the data type which is used to store the amount of credits (and the lifetime earnings counter). To fix this bug they will need to change this data type (I guess it's a signed long) but this will not help to get the credits back... I'm surprised that such a major programming mistake managed to get in the game.

I can't believe it took more then 2 months to find out about the bug... I do hope they find a way to fix it like with the geotag freeze.

Sun May 13, 2012 11:59 am

Ok ,an updating about what's going on with my "Credit available" and " Lifetime earnings"
After I have played for a while today :
Credit available : + 2.1 Billions ( when I play Explore Mode, so I'm able to buy whatever I want and need ) which turns into
- 2.1 Billions ( when I play Global Events, not able to buy anything due to lack of credit )

Lifetime Earnings : From + 2.2 Billions to -966.000.000

Sun May 13, 2012 12:00 pm

It didn't take two months to find this bug, it took two months and a lot of GE changes that the first people managed to get over the limit ;)

Edit: Just a small technical explanation, what happens:

The credits are stored in a value, most propably a signed integer, which is a 32 bit binary value. the biggest positive number in this is a "0" followed by 31 "1", which makes 2.147.483.647. The problem is, that in a signed binary system the first digit is representing the leading sign. A "1" with 31 "0", the number that follows the bigges positive number, is the biggest negative number, i.e. −2.147.483.648. What happens now is, that we see the binary value increase while the decimal value will decrease until we are at 32 "1", which is "-1". After that we would try to write a "1" on the (nonexistent) 33rd digit and therefore come back to "0".

I hope I managed to explain what happens here :)

Why it works in Explore mode but not in GEs I don't really know. Maybe the tests were done in explore mode, where you can reach a maximum limit and it was forgotten to use this also in GEs.
Last edited by Maxxens on Sun May 13, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 13, 2012 12:04 pm

Maxxens wrote:It didn't take two months to find this bug, it took two months and a lot of GE changes that the first people managed to get over the limit ;)

Is there any particular reason to put a limit ??? I don't think so

Sun May 13, 2012 12:07 pm

Even if it was a limit, Why the negative earnings? Doesn't make sence

Sun May 13, 2012 12:08 pm

You have to put a limit. There is always somewhere a limit. The question is only how you deal with the limit. Most common is to check if the limit is reached and to block any further increments of the value over the limit.

Sun May 13, 2012 12:11 pm

Maybe another explanation on a small binary system with 4 bits. I write down the binary number and the decimal equivalent:

0000 = 0
0001 = 1
0010 = 2
0011 = 3
0100 = 4
0101 = 5
0110 = 6
0111 = 7
1000 = -8
1001 = -7
1010 = -6
1011 = -5
1100 = -4
1101 = -3
1110 = -2
1111 = -1

The counter goes up all the time but the interpretation of the number by the system is a different matter.

We have the same in SSX, only our limit is not 7, but 2.147.483.647.

Sun May 13, 2012 12:13 pm

Maxxens wrote:You have to put a limit. There is always somewhere a limit. The question is only how you deal with the limit. Most common is to check if the limit is reached and to block any further increments of the value over the limit.

Ok ,I could agree but if you create events where you can get more than 35 millions every 10 minutes, it takes a couple of hours to reach a billion and as Tricky27 said, why the negative in GE that blocks the shopping?

Sun May 13, 2012 12:17 pm

I'm sure that in the beginning, when SSX came out, 2.1Billion sounded a lot and more than anyone will ever need (especially because the most expensive item costs only 4.2 million). The negative numbers are a programming thing. I don't know how to explain it better than with the words I already used and my english is too limited :/ It would be possible to use a datafield, which can store more numbers, or use an unsigned value. I don't know how the PS3/360 works internally and what is possible. Either way there would be still a limit, only higher than the current one.
Post a reply