Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:11 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:54 am  Post subject: Man, I really wish they kept this in the game... (video)  
I was never satisfied with the default camera view tbh. Something about it felt too static to me... then I watched this video:

Why couldn't they keep this awesome camera view in the game? Maybe patch it in?

Would be soooo much fun :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:00 am  Post subject: Re: Man, I really wish they kept this in the game... (video)  
Another look:

Also... that track would have been awesome lol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:17 am  Post subject: Re: Man, I really wish they kept this in the game... (video)  
PSN: mobe7
I argued ages ago for a dynamic camera setting, I was really disappointed they didn't include that as an option. It would have been so cool to have the feature available to turn either on or off.

Whilst we're talking about stuff that wasn't included, and this relates to the discussion in the other thread about the avalanche runs, what ever happened to this track and the idea of the camera moving to the front actually during the game play, check this out I love the idea that that could be triggered depending where you went. I'd love for a future SSX to have a free ride mode where you just explore beautifully rendered back country areas and stuff just gets triggered on the fly.

Last edited by Mobe on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:28 am  Post subject: Re: Man, I really wish they kept this in the game... (video)  
XBL: MdX MaxX
The slight dynamic nature of that camera was really cool. But I'm sure they were apprehensive about including it considering how awful the dynamic camera angles ended up in OT.

And yes, it would have been awesome to have the camera rotate between forward and reverse live. That would have made racing awkward, though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:34 am  Post subject: Re: Man, I really wish they kept this in the game... (video)  
PSN: tasha_iris
Why is the Kilimanjaro track so different from that video? Barely any crevasses and the sunlight hitting different part of the track is so beautiful! :shrug

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:38 am  Post subject: Re: Man, I really wish they kept this in the game... (video)  
XBL: MdX MaxX
tasha_iris wrote:
Why is the Kilimanjaro track so different from that video? Barely any crevasses and the sunlight hitting different part of the track is so beautiful! :shrug

I actually asked this a while ago:

kingbitty wrote:
MdX MaxX wrote:
Todd, I'm curious about something.

At what point did you guys decide to scrap this Kilimanjaro and make it total Darkness?

Don't get me wrong, I love Snake Bite, but it seems like a really drastic change. Did you guys intend to make it Darkness all along, or did the idea just come to you one day?

Good question. Africa wasn't pegged yet for a DD at the time we did E3, and all our tracks at that time were still a huge WIP and stuff was getting shuffled around/scrapped all the time.

I think we ended up still using the crater on Kilimanjaro. Or did we use it on Meru? Actually yeah, I think it is on Meru minus the multiple starting points which had to be scrapped for a bunch of different reasons.

I thought we ended up using the inside of that track somewhere else though? But now that I think about it maybe not. Might have just fallen through the cracks.

Production is already a blur, we were moving a thousand miles an hour for the last 6 months. SSX is a really huge game.

It was an interesting little race track though. Short, but fun.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:41 am  Post subject: Re: Man, I really wish they kept this in the game... (video)  
MdX MaxX wrote:
The slight dynamic nature of that camera was really cool. But I'm sure they were apprehensive about including it considering how awful the dynamic camera angles ended up in OT.

And yes, it would have been awesome to have the camera rotate between forward and reverse live. That would have made racing awkward, though.

A Dynamic camera wouldn't please everyone but like I said it would be great if you could have the feature available is an option. I agree the camera moving mid race would be distracting but if it were part of a different mode, like a free ride mode for example then I think it would be a really cool feature for a future game. It would take a different approach to SSX 2012 in the course design though because so little of the current game is geared towards free riding. Its obstacles galore in about 75% of the tracks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:46 am  Post subject: Re: Man, I really wish they kept this in the game... (video)  
tasha_iris wrote:

Oh wow, yeah it is Africa isn't it? Didn't even recognize it...
Looks great too btw :eek

As far as crevasses, yeah it'd be really cool to see a 'safe' Africa, but maybe they thought it was too easy. I know thought that too back during the post E3 Teaser videos.

Back on to camera though, I'm actually glad they have the camera the way it is now. Sure it'd be neat looking, but it also can get very disorienting. Too lazy to link it, but that part of the Mt. Eddie teaser where Elise takes that corkscrew really left the camera in a terrible spot and I couldn't see anything. I think dynamic-cam would make us run into a lot more problems similar to that. We never really saw any runs with dynamic-cam where they did anything counter-intuitive to the course like...sharp turns, so maybe they were having the issues I expected and just made sure to play it safe in the videos.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:47 am  Post subject: Re: Man, I really wish they kept this in the game... (video)  
PSN: tasha_iris
Oh okay, didn't see that before :P Such a shame though. Twas a really pretty track.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:59 am  Post subject: Re: Man, I really wish they kept this in the game... (video)  
PSN: Emu90
Huh? I would rather say that the standard and long distance views are too dynamic if you ask me. They don't move with the character which can feel irritating. It looks nice in videos but I think in the game you would probably prefer to see the ground before you land.

I want it to be fixed like in SSX 3. Fortunately you can do that when you switch to the closest camera.

OT: Btw. thank you, I've been searching for that video for a while now. It's my case for making daylight Africa. :yes :thumbsup

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:01 am  Post subject: Re: Man, I really wish they kept this in the game... (video)  
XBL: CAtcH174
twas :p

I'm sad that they didnt keep the separated starting points, at least in WT. I would have trusted them to make it as fair as possible, but it wouldn't satisfy the masses. I enjoy Africa, it really challenges you to exercise precision and control, or else you're skimming a wall or in a pit. :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:04 am  Post subject: Re: Man, I really wish they kept this in the game... (video)  
I mostly play with the closest view but that looks a lot like the middle one to me, the camera's always flailing everywhere.

Also, what happened to the ice in Africa? It looks great glistering in that video, is it just because of the lighting conditions that I don't see it in the finished game? And actually, I think that could've been a cool approach to the whole region, having loads of ice and water rather than snow, so it would feel like it's melting inside the volcano. It could've provided some really interesting and bizarre landscapes, imagine riding through something like this:

Click to reveal hidden content: show

Those are from Skaftafell, Iceland. Maybe a new region is in order?

Last edited by Mus on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:06 am  Post subject: Re: Man, I really wish they kept this in the game... (video)  
XBL: DSeel23
PSN: DannySeel
I could see how the dynamic camera angles could be a little tough to handle at some points and actually cause a lot of mistakes, but I think it would have been a great option to at least choose from at your own discretion.

I loved how that first video timed how long you were in the air. It puts everything in perspective a little bit more for both Trick It and Race It.

I also loved the different starting points. I know times probably would differ by a few seconds on each starting point, but that would have been so unique. Anyone know why they got rid of that aspect?

Did anyone notice that the Kilimanjaro they used in the video had spots that were taken from the now other Africa slopes?

I noticed that at the end of Corkscrew/Red Light in Africa there appears to be more track that they just didn't use. Me and someone else were discussing how Africa could have been used better in the "Some tracks are longer than they seem" topic. We were saying how even though it is cool that the region completely opposes the others by being in strictly caves, it still would have been nice to have some daylight and more vibrance. That last video was exactly what I was talking about.
I love the ice feel on the walls. Thinking about it now, it would have been so cool to have the iced up walls, but then see flowing lava inside of the ice. Just mix up the ice and lava more.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:10 am  Post subject: Re: Man, I really wish they kept this in the game... (video)  
PSN: Emu90
It's not Kilimanjaro. It's the mountain on the left (Mawenzi or Meru I think). It's still in the game but at night -.-.

Yeah when I think about dynamic cameras I think about On Tour. It looked great, but you don't know when you hit the ground which is pretty much the most important thing (to me at least).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:12 am  Post subject: Re: Man, I really wish they kept this in the game... (video)  
DannySeel wrote:
I could see how the dynamic camera angles could be a little tough to handle at some points and actually cause a lot of mistakes, but I think it would have been a great option to at least choose from at your own discretion.

Totally agree, maybe there was a technical reason they couldn't include it as an option?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:28 pm  Post subject: Re: Man, I really wish they kept this in the game... (video)  
I really think shafts of sunlight shining through the cavern roofs would have been an excellent addition to some of the African drops...

Like others I really can't understand why ALL the mountains are at night in Africa :(

While on this topic did Batty ever shed any light on why we don't have the option to change the time of day when setting up CE's? I only ask as they have been switching the times of day around in the normal global events without (as far as I know) any patches needed? can they do this on the fly?
I feel like they either ran out of time or there is some technical difficulty preventing this from being included??

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:55 pm  Post subject: Re: Man, I really wish they kept this in the game... (video)  
XBL: Bildi
Given only one option I am happy with the choice they made of camera. If I set it somewhere, I'd like it to stay there. I'm probably a little biased though as I saw a Shaun White vid yesterday and the extreme zooming in that game is pretty bad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:18 pm  Post subject: Re: Man, I really wish they kept this in the game... (video)  
I'm always switching between camera angles while playing. It makes the gameplay feel fresh because I'm not looking at the same perspective all the time. So yeah, please add this! The more camera angles the better!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:59 pm  Post subject: Re: Man, I really wish they kept this in the game... (video)  
PSN: martymcflyy85
I always felt like the default camera in this game was too far away. I played mostly with the close up view and it felt much better to me, because it was the closest to the old games.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:29 pm  Post subject: Re: Man, I really wish they kept this in the game... (video)  
I found a video on YT that shows the dynamic camera for an entire run... This should have been a option cause it looks amazing! I do think the camera we have now is less confusing but this dynamic camera does make it more fun to watch. The shockwaves are terrible tho, I'm happy they pulled that part out or at least redused it a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqtESKa17SU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:02 pm  Post subject: Re: Man, I really wish they kept this in the game... (video)  
PSN: aceofthorns
It would be nice if kingbitty would give us some news on why it was scraped

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 21 posts ]