Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:42 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:24 am  Post subject:   
Whoa whoa woooh, this is actually a game???

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:32 pm  Post subject:   
PSN: MistressWiggle
OK SO IT'S TIME FOR NA'S THOUGHTS :D

First of all, the game is so much better than SSX On tour and SSX Three.

THE GOOD:

Characters, looked great, They all looked a step up from Tricky, as if SSX3 and On tour had never happened. (Except for Moby's dreads and J.P. *tears*) I am glad Skye is back, all my favourite characters are there and Zoe looks much much better than she did in SSX3, and I think to be quite honest, this might actually be because they DIDN'T talk. No out of Character voices that can't aompete with voices we've had before.

The game play itself was excellent, I loved the snowballs feature, I really really liked the effect of snow covering them after a wipe out.

I liked the rewards scheme, the different outfits and stuff were great, I liked how they came together as one outfit, although Bolt ons are good I thought resorting back to the Tricky way was brilliant.

I liked how you got experience for winning, and that you didn't have to buy it like in 3 and On tour, that was just really annoying to do so.

MUSIC!! It's Brilliant, no more damn emo fake crappy rock tracks like in SSX3 and No more crappy r n b and hip hop that made it so hard to do any racing, tricks too come to that.

THE BAD:

GET. RID. OF. THAT. FUCKING. DJ. ALREADY.
I cannot stress how fucking ANNYOYING ATOMIKAS VOICE IS when you're in the middle of an event and when you're riding through the connecting bits. Just SHUT UP ALREADY. He's on constant mute in my house anyways D:

Characters need voices, End of, they need to be good and well thought out like Tricky, they need to suit each character's style.

No matter how good the game, that controller needs to go. I don't care if it's not EA's fault, using it and starting out with it was hell, the system was ridiculous, the turning and tricking was awful at first, it takes time and patience to get used too, and my left wrist was hurting after only a few minutes. I deffinitely prefer normal controllers.

The tracks, WHY BRING BACK ON TOUR TRACKS. They're AWFUL, they were never fun in on tour, what makes you thinik they'll be fun again?

D: AND THE OVERALL NOT SO UGLIES:

All in all, OK Game better than 3 and On tour, but I'm still in anticipation with what EA will come up with for Playstation and XBox for SSX5. The gameplay was great apart from the controller problems, which won't be a problem on the other consoles obviously.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:46 pm  Post subject:   
NA wrote:
No matter how good the game, that controller needs to go. I don't care if it's not EA's fault, using it and starting out with it was hell, the system was ridiculous, the turning and tricking was awful at first, it takes time and patience to get used too, and my left wrist was hurting after only a few minutes. I deffinitely prefer normal controllers.

I personally love the controls and I hope they keep it.

You know that you can set the controls so that u move just with the analog stick right?

I myself love carving with the nunchuck.

And using gestures to do ubers adds an element of skill which I really love too. I hate memorizing button combos. I like the fact that you have to actually practice to get good, just like in real life.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:07 pm  Post subject:   
XBL: Bildi
Well, I've put in a grand total of about 2 hours on the game now.... :heh

I realise the nunchuk carving might not be for everyone, but I am loving it. I got third place on Wild Tree Fun Slalom on my first try and now got first place after about 6 tries I think. The carving is AWESOME.

For me anyway. :)

Nice review NA - glad you enjoyed it. Luckily I like Atomika and the music is so fantasic I'm not noticing the lack of voices too much. I still think its an SSX staple and it better be in next time but this game is so much more SSX than On Tour even without the voices that it's just not funny. :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:22 am  Post subject:   
My wrist was killing me after half an hour of gameplay. I'm sorry but if I wanted arthiritus really bad I'd play SSX Blur constantly.

All the time people were complaining that video games were dangerous due to the controllers, but I tell you what, They aren't half as dangerous as playing the wii excessively. It also makes me sit uncomfortably because I can't lay back comfortably and play it, in order for me to do anything I have to sit upright or stand.

I know there's a load of wii fanboys and girls that are gonna be saying it's realistic and they love it, but the one thing my brother said to me last night was "Learning how to snowboard in real life is easier than playing this." And baring in mind he's awesome at playing video games and it's HIS wii. He loved playing Zelda, Red Steel and Sonic rings on it, but he said he wouldn't be playing SSX Blur much and left it back to me.

I did like the drawing of the ubertricks, it was when you're on the snow that I didn't like, but I couldn't STAND having to collect the damn uber tricks. But I would never ever want a trick book again on the SSX games for the wii. It would take far too long.

But my problem is that you don't have to practice to be good with this game, with the trick books in Tricky and normal controlls, you had to defeat that and that took most of the game as you had to win races and such to get your experience points up.

When I'm tricking with the blur I feel like I'm button bashing in a fighting game only I'm waving my arms about like the fucking retard, I can never remember how to grab properly and end up missing it because with this you have to play Z AFTER You're in the air.

And the sad thing is, and Deadpool would agree if he was around.

I was and I think still am, the only Nintendo fangirl on this site :[ and all that I've written above is the truth. I hadn't played the wii until SSX Blur, (Have Zelda for the Gamecube) and now that I've actually played the wii properly I can fairly say I really dislike it, So I really hope EA Bring out SSX5 For the PS2 and well as the PS3 so I can play it on that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:50 am  Post subject:   
I've played for.. maybe almost two and a half hours in total? (not counting my brothers turns)
My fingers on my right hand seemed to hurt the most :P
It's a good game. Great music. I think I already have a favourite song :D
The controls are fairly easy to get used to, but I've only done an uber about 4 times. :frusty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:42 am  Post subject:   
SSX Blur: Racing: #1
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX Blur: Racing: #1
  • SSX Blur: Overall: #2
There's 5 major complaints I have to make about this game.

1) Grab and Boost on the same button. They should have just put boost on B and snowball throwing on Z. I can't count how often I bailed because I accidently made a grab before landing. I can't even imagine how bad it would be if I wouldn't have full-stick-steering.

2) Bad choice of tracks. I havn't played On Tour, but if they picked the best tracks from that game for Blur I'm sure I didn't miss out on much. Wild Tree Fun, Compilation and On the Rocks are okay, although the later can't compare to Gravitude or Aloha Ice Jam as far as glacier action goes. The other On Tour tracks are not worth speaking of, although many of them do have design flaws. I don't see what's the point in having a rail that's aimed at a tree so you'll boost straight into it. As for the SSX3 tracks, they kind of left out the really great ones, especially the racing tracks. In return we got Ruthless. Who the hell wants Ruthless back? It's a collection of trees and rocks deliberatly placed to make you bump into them all the time. There would have been MUCH better tracks to pick than that.

3) Lack of proper Highscores. It's great the game tells me when I got a new highscore. Is it actually saved anywhere? Is there a way I could take a look at my highscores? I havn't found any.

4) Bad Overworld Design. SSX3 was great in that respect, you could have a race down the whole mountain that took almost half an hour with a total of 8 or so tracks. Not only was it epic and awesome, it also gave you a nice feeling for the size of the mountain. In Blur you've got Ruthless - Happiness - Any Peak 1 Track. First of all, who wants to race down Ruthless? You can just start at peak 2 and save the trouble. So that leaves you at the epic combination of two tracks. After all, this just means there's no point in having all the tracks on one mountain, it doesn't feel like they are related in any way. By now I'm using the map only to get to a track.

5) Bad Uber System. I think the whole Uber system is bad by design. It seems as if EA tried to incorporate all of the Wii's possibilities at all cost. I don't like the idea of having to draw a shape to do a trick, but others may disagree. However, most will agree that the shape recognition isn't working too well. Some shapes are very hard to get recognized, most others have to be drawn very differently from the way they look to be registered. It just feels slightly unfinished. My main concern however is the effect this has on Highscores. Unlike the buttons in previous games these Ubers take a while to perform. However, to score high, you have to start the uber as soon as possible, meaning you have to draw the shape fast. At that time, the bad shape recogintion comes into play. It seems as if you'd have to learn very specific movements in order to be able to pull off ubers fast and reliable. This just seems like an unnecessary hurdle compared to the old games, one that is pretty much taking my interest in competing for scores.

Then there's also some minor complaints like DJ Atomika, not being able to play custom music from a SD card, bad menu design (Why can't I change my board from withinthe game? Why are some menues browsable with the D-Pad and some require me to point at an option?).

Overall, it's not a bad game. I still prefer the Conrols of SSX3, they felt more precise and fit for tricks. I think SSX3 was a better game, but Blur isn't far behind, it's still enjoyable.

Last edited by LLCoolDave on Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:19 am  Post subject:   
I think the problem here is that most people on this board have played previous versions of ssx.

Ssx blur is my first ssx so I love the controls.

I guess for people that are use to the old controls, its hard to get use to an entire new control scheme.

I find the carving with the nunchuck more immersive personally. And I like the skill involved with the ubers and I can pull off most ubers reliably.

Since this is my first ssx, I don't have the other issues that other people have with the re-used tracks and stuff.

To each its own...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:30 am  Post subject:   
LLCoolDave wrote:
6) Bad Uber System. I think the whole Uber system is bad by design. It seems as if EA tried to incorporate all of the Wii's possibilities at all cost. I don't like the idea of having to draw a shape to do a trick, but others may disagree. However, most will agree that the shape recognition isn't working too well. Some shapes are very hard to get recognized, most others have to be drawn very differently from the way they look to be registered. It just feels slightly unfinished. My main concern however is the effect this has on Highscores. Unlike the buttons in previous games these Ubers take a while to perform. However, to score high, you have to start the uber as soon as possible, meaning you have to draw the shape fast. At that time, the bad shape recogintion comes into play. It seems as if you'd have to learn very specific movements in order to be able to pull off ubers fast and reliable. This just seems like an unnecessary hurdle compared to the old games, one that is pretty much taking my interest in competing for scores.
\

So the fact that it takes some actual skill to get a high score is not something u like. ok...

I guess u don't do sports in real life either then cuz in real life it actually takes some skill to be good.

And its def harder to pull off a uber in a race/competition than it is when your practicing because just like in real life the situation is different between the 2.

No other ssx can simlulate that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:54 am  Post subject:   
So you are implying that getting a highscore in the old SSX games did not take skills then? The thing is, I just prefered the old trick system, it felt... less random. Right now, for me I jump, flick my wrist to do some random spins and flips then draw the uber shape. Once you've started the uber you cannot influence your spin anymore, for whatever reason without breakign the uber. Now for real competition, it's important to do ubers as quickly as possible, it can mean as much as 5.000 or 10.000 per jump, which quickly adds up. However, I feel the shape recognition is just a tad... too random or unpredictable. Sure, this might change a bit over time, but I still prefered the old button based trick system, it just felt less random but more precise than using the wiimote.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:08 am  Post subject:   
LLCoolDave wrote:
So you are implying that getting a highscore in the old SSX games did not take skills then? The thing is, I just prefered the old trick system, it felt... less random. Right now, for me I jump, flick my wrist to do some random spins and flips then draw the uber shape. Once you've started the uber you cannot influence your spin anymore, for whatever reason without breakign the uber. Now for real competition, it's important to do ubers as quickly as possible, it can mean as much as 5.000 or 10.000 per jump, which quickly adds up. However, I feel the shape recognition is just a tad... too random or unpredictable. Sure, this might change a bit over time, but I still prefered the old button based trick system, it just felt less random but more precise than using the wiimote.

I don't think the control system is perfect. I like the uber system, but I don't like the way they handled the regular tricks and I think that could be improved.

Pulling off the ubers fast takes practice. In the half pipe I can pretty much do 2 to 3 ubers in one jump. So its not something thats impossible to do.

Regarding the button system vs the gesture system. Once you memorize the button combos for the different tricks, u can pretty much pull them off anytime. There isn't anymore skill involved. But for the ubers, u have to actually concentrate to do the trick and because u are more nervous and hurried in a competition vs practicing, u can screw up an uber easier. And I love that, because this is exactly what happens in real sports. Some people may not like it, I do.

Its just a completely different way of doing things and when you are use to doing something the same way over and over again, its just hard to adapt to something new. Thats just human nature and the first instinct is to hate it.

I mean when yahoo message boards switched to their new look, there was a ton of hate, even though when u look at it objectively its actually better, but people got so use to the old one, anything new and people didn't like it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:42 am  Post subject:   
dfi wrote:
I think the problem here is that most people on this board have played previous versions of ssx.

If SSX Blur is your first then how can you possibly say It takes skill to play Blur?
Play the original SSX then come back and tell me you don't need skill for it.

I feel like a spastic every time I do a trick because I don't have a clue whats what, I feel like I'm button bashing on a fighting game, it's all totally random. The nunchuck for blur is completely confusing, I changed the controls like you said so that I could steer with the analoge stick, apparantly ACCORDING to the game that means my grabs are with the analog stick as well. Well it's not working I'm still having to use the nunchuck.

Quote:
3) Lack of Reset Button. There are TWO unused buttons on the Wiimote that could have very well worked as a Reset Button. But hey, there's no need for it, there's nothing more satisfying than having a 250m lead turn into a 6th place by being stuck between a wall, a rock and a slope in such a way that it's almost impossible to get back out on the track. It's just as fun watching your character jump straight at a tree, watch him crash into it, fall to the ground, get up on an uphill slope with the tree right in his way. Guess you had to give the AI a chance to keep up as well.

It's the - button on the wiimote.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:45 am  Post subject:   
NA wrote:
Quote:
3) Lack of Reset Button. There are TWO unused buttons on the Wiimote that could have very well worked as a Reset Button. But hey, there's no need for it, there's nothing more satisfying than having a 250m lead turn into a 6th place by being stuck between a wall, a rock and a slope in such a way that it's almost impossible to get back out on the track. It's just as fun watching your character jump straight at a tree, watch him crash into it, fall to the ground, get up on an uphill slope with the tree right in his way. Guess you had to give the AI a chance to keep up as well.

Wow, I feel like an Idiot now. It was never mentioned in the game or the manual, and i only tried the 1 and 2 buttons. I'll remove it from my list then. However, this game definitly qualifies for Worst.Manual.Ever. I read it on the bus on my way home, it confused me more than I would have imagined.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:48 am  Post subject:   
LLCoolDave wrote:
NA wrote:
Quote:

Wow, I feel like an Idiot now. It was never mentioned in the game or the manual, and i only tried the 1 and 2 buttons. I'll remove it from my list then. However, this game definitly qualifies for Worst.Manual.Ever. I read it on the bus on my way home, it confused me more than I would have imagined.

Hahahahahaha I wondered why you were like NO RESET BUTTON GRRR :mad

The + button is for the menu options as well as pause :D

The manuals suck, I havent even begun to start comboing yet.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:57 am  Post subject:   
When I talk about skill I'm referring to the uber trick system vs the button combo trick system. I'm not talking about the overall game.

And yes, I do agree with u about the regular tricking system, I think that can be improved. But honestly, that doesn't really bother me too much, because the only time I do regular tricks is to boost my uber meter so that I can pull off multiple ubers.

NA wrote:
dfi wrote:

If SSX Blur is your first then how can you possibly say It takes skill to play Blur?
Play the original SSX then come back and tell me you don't need skill for it.

I feel like a spastic every time I do a trick because I don't have a clue whats what, I feel like I'm button bashing on a fighting game, it's all totally random. The nunchuck for blur is completely confusing, I changed the controls like you said so that I could steer with the analoge stick, apparantly ACCORDING to the game that means my grabs are with the analog stick as well. Well it's not working I'm still having to use the nunchuck.

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:46 am  Post subject:   
NA wrote:
My wrist was killing me after half an hour of gameplay. I'm sorry but if I wanted arthiritus really bad I'd play SSX Blur constantly.

All the time people were complaining that video games were dangerous due to the controllers, but I tell you what, They aren't half as dangerous as playing the wii excessively. It also makes me sit uncomfortably because I can't lay back comfortably and play it, in order for me to do anything I have to sit upright or stand.

Uh thats called exercise. Maybe you guys should go outside and try it for a bit. :)

Seriously, after marathon sessions of ssx blur, both my arms and forearms would be sore the next day. I consider this a good thing.

Actually I had the opposite experience with the wii, compared to other consoles, I would have to be hunched over all the time giving me bad posture, but with the split controller of the wii, I can sit back and relax and play. The ssx blur controls except for the menus are all motion based, so you don't have to have the remote pointed to the tv screen all the time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:41 am  Post subject:   
There IS an edit button.

And no it's not called excersize it's called the controller is retarded. Gaming is not meant to make you sore, it's DANGEROUS.

And you do have to have the controllers pointed at the TV. because there are no wires connecting it, so if you don't point it at the TV nothing happens.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:52 pm  Post subject:   
NA wrote:
There IS an edit button.

And no it's not called excersize it's called the controller is retarded. Gaming is not meant to make you sore, it's DANGEROUS.

And you do have to have the controllers pointed at the TV. because there are no wires connecting it, so if you don't point it at the TV nothing happens.

To each its own. If you hate the wii so much, stick to the 360 or ps3 because the wii is all about the new controller.

The wii uses bluetooth. Its not a line of site protocol. You don't need to point at the TV. do some research first...

The only time u need to be pointed at the TV is if u are using the controller as a pointer like manipulating the menus. Everything else in ssx blur is motion based, which means it will work even if your back is facing the tv.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:08 pm  Post subject:   
XBL: Bildi
Gee, I feel like I'm back at GAF. ;P

I've enjoyed all the SSXs and I like the controls of Blur. I think this game is right up there with SSX3, but really can't top it for things such as no voices and friggin' trees everywhere - one of the long list of things I really despised about On Tour. On Tour was also hands down the worst for controls - FAR worse than this in my opinion.

I've only played it for a day or so but I submitted a couple of slalom times which are OK (my character is still only on low stats - I only just got to Peak 2). I'm using full nunchuk for steering so I like it but its not going to be for everyone.

One thing I really like about this game is the polish that went into it. Such as the option it gives you for how you would like to steer. The menus are very nice and that they use the Wiimote for everything is welcomed since many developers cheap out on this and I always get a real half-assed feeling when you have to use a d-pad or control stick in Wii games. Only noticed yesterday that your cursor also leaves little snowflakes behind. I really like these little touches.

As for the trick system, I really don't know if its harder or easier than past games. After learning on the original SSX for one day I know I was pretty crap at it. :heh

Bottom line is, I am extremely thankful for the game because at the very least it shows that EA is interested in moving back to the right path after the atrocity that was On Tour. As an SSX fan that's a huge deal to me. Plus I'm really enjoying the game! :)

Edit:

For some feedback for the "older" SSX players out there, I thought I'd add that my mum has got a hold of the game and is enjoying it. She finds it hard but she's keeping at it (she played the previous SSXs probably even more than I did!).

She's liking the music. She also has an advantage over me in that she actually played some of On Tour so at least knows the tracks. I still have issues with the amount of trees. ;P

NA wrote:

I'm not sure what you would be doing to get that sort of pain after just half an hour, or at all really. My mum has advanced rheumatoid arthritis in both wrists and hands and is not having a problem with the controls (aside from coordination difficulties which I think everyone experiences as they learn). She's never had any trouble with past Wii titles at all either in terms of pain, and believe me she gets into the swing of things. You don't want to stand too near when she starts busting some spins and flips! :heh

Last edited by Bildi on Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:41 pm  Post subject: Re: Final Review of SSX Blur  
SSX Blur: Showoff: #1SSX Blur: Overall: #1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #1
  • SSX Blur: Overall: #1
XBL: yako529
gondee wrote:
- THERE NEEDS TO BE A TOP 5 SCORE screen. You can't even see your records outside the career highlights screen.

LLCoolDave wrote:
3) Lack of proper Highscores. It's great the game tells me when I got a new highscore. Is it actually saved anywhere? Is there a way I could take a look at my highscores? I havn't found any.

Actually, there IS a way to view your high scores. It is kind of stupid and inconvenient, though.

If you go to multiplayer mode and choose your characters, you can press the 1 button while choosing the event to display your 10 highest scores.

If you want to view scores that you got in slalom, big air or halfpipe events, you will have to choose the hot seat mode. The real problem is viewing high scores from slopestyle or race events, though, because you will have to choose the splitscreen mode, which will not allow you to get past the character selection screen unlesss you choose 2 characters with 2 wii remotes.

There should be an easier way to do it, but at least the high score screen looks nice and will display your 10 highest scores for a particular event.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:13 am  Post subject:   
I know this is off topic, but holy crap, is everything the entire world emo-rock? Sevenfold? Dude...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:32 am  Post subject:   
Bildi wrote:

NA wrote:

I'm not sure what you would be doing to get that sort of pain after just half an hour, or at all really. My mum has advanced rheumatoid arthritis in both wrists and hands and is not having a problem with the controls (aside from coordination difficulties which I think everyone experiences as they learn). She's never had any trouble with past Wii titles at all either in terms of pain, and believe me she gets into the swing of things. You don't want to stand too near when she starts busting some spins and flips! :heh

I don't know what it is but it really starts to ache after a while and I don't think there's any wrong way to play lol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:56 pm  Post subject:   
Kinda old, but this is a pretty good and accurate review of ssx blur from someone who actually took the time to play it.

Sums up my thoughts about the game exactly.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs. ... 03/01/7274

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Jump to:  

Information
Page 2 of 2 [ 48 posts ]  1, 2