Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:59 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:07 am  Post subject: New Article + Trailer on IGN.com  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
http://wii.ign.com/articles/753/753208p1.html

Trailer for the controls:
http://media.wii.ign.com/media/842/842200/vids_1.html

On the controls:

Quote:
IGN Wii: Can you explain what both the nunchuk and remote do?

Eric: The Nunchuk is used for all on snow controls, hence the term "On-the-ground." Carving is now so much fun and intuitive. You simply tilt the nunchuk right and left to turn your character down the mountain, and the joystick is used for finer control adjustment if you really want to dig into a turn. You also use the nunchuk to jump by doing a quick up motion. In terms of buttons, the Z is for boost and the C is for a quick pivot on skis or a tail press on a board.

The other functionality of the nunchuk is for grabs while in the air. You can perform a variety of grabs by pressing the Z button and tilting the nunchuk left/right/up/down.

The Wii remote is used for tricks while in the air or on rails - this is the "In-the-Air" portion of our control scheme. It's really basic actually. To make your character spin, you swing the remote left/right and for flips you swing it up/down. In terms of buttons, the A and B buttons are used to finish your tricks and to "auto-land," which rights your character from mid-trick to the proper stance to hit the snow.

You use both the nunchuk and the Wii remote together when you fill up your groove meter and are set to perform an Uber Trick. For these, there are a series of shapes that you can draw with both controllers to unleash a bigger move. Think of your nunchuk and remote as paintbrushes, painting shapes in 3-D space. These tricks are really rewarding when you hit them as we have made them a little tougher to master.

Eeeenteresting... :)

Nice little notes on the trailer:
- Multipliers are back (which was confirmed in the screenshots)
- Track looks like compilation?
- Track design is VERY reminiscent of SSX (which is a GREAT touch), red lead ups on jumps, very cool

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:25 am  Post subject:   
Gravitude MVP
Looks more and more like CLASSIC SSX thus making me excited! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:55 am  Post subject:   
SSX: Racing: #1
Clayman
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX: Racing: #1
  • SSX: Overall: #2
How does it look like the classics? The scenery and snow is straight out of 3/OT, the character design obviously looks the same as the last two, and the tracks are way to monotonous and bland to look anything like 1/T.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:29 am  Post subject:   
I'm flipping...this sounds amazing!! :woot :woot

Now I just need a Wii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:18 pm  Post subject:   
alpmaster wrote:
How does it look like the classics? The scenery and snow is straight out of 3/OT, the character design obviously looks the same as the last two, and the tracks are way to monotonous and bland to look anything like 1/T.

Don't be negative and overlook the obvious dude, the paintings on the track are straight from SSX and Tricky - the color scheme is bright like Tricky. Yeah, the tracks are from 3 and OT, but redoing them in classic design styles gets me excited. :yes :woot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:13 pm  Post subject:   
I've never held a Wii remote, so call me out if I'm wrong, but is there only a single button responsible for grabs? It looked that way from the explanation in the trailer. Hopefully we have more than a small handful of grabs.

Otherwise, I'm really stoked for this. At the very beginning I thought the track was Elysium Alps, but then it looked more like Compilation. Still stoked though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:15 pm  Post subject:   
I'm pretty sure it's compilation painted in Tricky colors, which has me stoked too. I think it'll be cool. :yes

I think there might be more to the grab system then just holding the button, maybe you have to tilt the controller or nunchuk a certain way to activate a certain grab.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:31 pm  Post subject:   
Double post, but here's the track controls as I understand them:

On The Ground
Turn - Tilt Nunchuk Left or Right + push joystick to turn sharp
Jump - Nunchuk Up
Z - Boost
C - Quick Pivot of Skis/Board

In The Air
Grabs - Z button + Tilt Nunchuk Left/Right/Up/Down
Flips - Swing Wiimote Up/Down
Spins - Swing Wiimote Left/Right
A/B Button - Finish Tricks/Auto Land (is a little hazy here, but I'm assuming if you're spinning or whatever, you can use the A/B button to cancel your trick and right yourself)

Uber Tricks - Done by "painting" shapes in the air with both Nunchuk and Controller (think doing circles I guess) We know from the first trailer that you push the A button in the air to do an uber, so that probably activates it and then you "paint" a shape in the air with both hands to activate the Uber.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:41 pm  Post subject:   
Master Codfish
XBL: bakalhau90
PSN: bakalhau90
The audio is awesome (at least the music), the graphics are as good too (specially those lights or whatever it's called while you're doing a trick), but the controls are... one big b00shit. Yeah. I still can't get how the hell am I supposed to do a single jump with some spins and grabs. Everything seems so damn complicated. Can't wait for a PS3/360 game, I think I'll pass on this one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:49 pm  Post subject:   
I have no problem envisioning it, because I can see how intuitive it is, so there won't be a problem "unlearning" the old system. Seriously, it's SO different, it's not even the same thing in my book. :no

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:56 pm  Post subject:   
Master Codfish
XBL: bakalhau90
PSN: bakalhau90
I feel it's everything but intuitive. It's easy to forget or unlearn previous ways of playing the game, but that doesn't mean learning how to be decent on the new scheme will be easy.

All I know now is that I'll need to move the controllers in crazy ways while pressing buttons to get a simple flip or grab done. I can't imagine or understand what the hell I'll have to pull to get a combination of a flip with a spin, plus a grab or/and uber.

Maybe it's just me that will never get used to this weird style of playing videogames.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:37 pm  Post subject:   
I dunno baka, I think it might be you. And I don't think you give yourself enough credit for adjusting to a new play scheme. :)

I think it's eminently more difficult to learn which of 10 tiny buttons to press on a controller to do one specific action than it is to move your arms in ways that intuitively mimic the action that's happening on screen. There's just a lapse of learning curve there that I think you're underestimating.

I think it'll be great, and hopefully it'll be so popular and mainstream (meaning women and older people can pick it up) that it'll reinvigorate the franchise that's gotten a bit stale from using the same formula with minor tweaks for 4 games now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:40 pm  Post subject:   
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
Quote:
Maybe it's just me that will never get used to this weird style of playing videogames.

It's not just you, I have absolutely no interest in the wii's style of gaming.

I do like the more color in the game though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:31 pm  Post subject:   
vix wrote:
Quote:

It's not just you, I have absolutely no interest in the wii's style of gaming.

I do like the more color in the game though.

I'm not trying to be an arse, but I am curious: How many hours have you played the Wii for?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:47 pm  Post subject:   
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
I haven't played it nor do I intend to. It doesn't even remotely interest me enough to play a demo at a store. It's not my style of gaming and there aren't any games for it that I would want. Maybe warioware but that's about it. And even then, I doubt I would play it the right way. I have no interest in that style of gaming and I'm just as irked that the ps3 has the six axis crap. That's just me though. The whole motion seen as immersive gaming, I'm not buying into it. I prefer the lazy way of gaming. Like I said elsewhere though(at least I think I said it on here), if someone else bought me a wii, i wouldn't return it. I'd keep it and likely play it since it was free but it would be far from my main system and it's likely I wouldn't play it much. I mostly want the emulator. But I wouldn't fork out my own money for it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:21 am  Post subject:   
PSN: CHROMANAUT_
Yay, lookin good.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:27 am  Post subject:   
PSN: jonipooon
WOAH! :jawdrop

I think I've changed my mind... Blur is not a "ok" game. It's super awesome.

I wish I had a Wii.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:00 am  Post subject:   
XBL: Paystationiat_512
PSN: Ablata_ab_albA
I know what you're talking about :woot

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ]